[Today at 11:14:56 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by cheebs09
[Today at 10:52:12 AM]

NIL Future by Hards Alumni
[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: no homo (nh)  (Read 46343 times)

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
Re: no homo (nh)
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2018, 10:23:00 PM »
What intelligent person could argue with any of this?
First off.....I LOVE THIS THREAD!  I think i'm the predominant public bestower of shame on"(nh)" and am encouraged that this gets reported to the mods (wish i had thought of that).

D'Lo said it better than I ever could, but I would like to pose that his/your post would be better suited to focus on the users of this forum and not the moderators.  The blame is on us as a community for allowing this.   As expressed innumerable times, it is a combination of fear and ignorance that drive the homophobic/misogynistic/xenophobic/etc posts......let's focus the debate around educating.

Mods don't have to jump in if the user base consistently shines light on the extremes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2018, 10:52:01 PM »
First off.....I LOVE THIS THREAD!  I think i'm the predominant public bestower of shame on"(nh)" and am encouraged that this gets reported to the mods (wish i had thought of that).

D'Lo said it better than I ever could, but I would like to pose that his/your post would be better suited to focus on the users of this forum and not the moderators.  The blame is on us as a community for allowing this.   As expressed innumerable times, it is a combination of fear and ignorance that drive the homophobic/misogynistic/xenophobic/etc posts......let's focus the debate around educating.

Yessir!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2018, 11:35:07 PM »
What intelligent person could argue with any of this?

Any reasonable person should agree with you!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2018, 12:01:34 AM »
Similarly this is why I stopped referring to Bucky as Becky several years ago, fianlly realized it was condescending to women

Honestly, I thought Becky was a reference to how “Bucky” is pronounced in central Wisconsin.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2018, 12:14:01 AM »
As a gay man, I can assure you that you are thoroughly wrong. I think the general assumption is that since there aren't enough out there to be "outraged", it's not that big of a deal.

This has nothing to do with political correctness, or politics, at all. It is a phobia based on someone's sexual orientation. Where do politics come into that again?

And we all know that your glowing endorsement here will only serve to encourage the sheer ignorance going forward.

As a youth sports coach, I take every opportunity to explain and correct usage of any of these terms. Kids often just don't understand it. Adults know better, and it's unacceptable. For some reason, there are still adult men that encourage this type of language in sports, in particular. Which is regrettable, as you never really know when such a word could be devastating for a child that looks up to you.

Dissapointed in you guys, but unsurprised.

Thanks for your post, D'Lo.

I don't read all of the posts here and had only seen it a couple times - never in a derogatory way - so I never really thought much about it.

You made me think about what I should have felt when I saw it in those posts; I was gonna say re-think, but I just passed over it when I did see it.

So, again thanks.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2018, 08:27:42 AM »
Any reasonable person should agree with you!

Well ... duh!

I know you were being a wise-arse, and I approve (because it's very important for you to get my approval, I'm sure). But on this issue, yes, any reasonable person should agree with me about my agreement with D'Lo.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2018, 09:43:23 AM »
And I think the point is to do better, to be better. I used to describe things as "gay" in a derogatory sense. Now I don't.

This...we all have done or said stupid and immature things that probably either have or would have really offended somebody.  I am with Brew in that I used the word "gay" to describe things I did not like in high school.  I then met and became good friends with some people who actually were gay and realized how horrible that is.  It truly is all about learning and making yourself a better person, no matter what age you are.

Conveniently, but not surprisingly, the biggest offender of the "(nh)" usage has been silent in this thread. 

Jaybee - can you please explain to the board why you feel the need to use this all the time?  What are you trying to accomplish with it?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2018, 10:21:27 AM »
This...we all have done or said stupid and immature things that probably either have or would have really offended somebody.  I am with Brew in that I used the word "gay" to describe things I did not like in high school.  I then met and became good friends with some people who actually were gay and realized how horrible that is.  It truly is all about learning and making yourself a better person, no matter what age you are.

Conveniently, but not surprisingly, the biggest offender of the "(nh)" usage has been silent in this thread. 

Jaybee - can you please explain to the board why you feel the need to use this all the time?  What are you trying to accomplish with it?

You really don't know? ;D

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2018, 10:29:20 AM »
The use of "no homo" in conversation is akin to "that's what she said" jokes. It isn't about offensiveness. Rather, it lets you know the person delivering it lacks wit and is an uncreative, artless chad not worth spending much time around.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2018, 10:55:14 AM »
The use of "no homo" in conversation is akin to "that's what she said" jokes. It isn't about offensiveness. Rather, it lets you know the person delivering it lacks wit and is an uncreative, artless chad not worth spending much time around.

We have a winner. Close the thread.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2018, 11:23:15 AM »
My thoughts, not that anyone cares but I feel like sharing so  :P

- if you knowingly use language that is/can be offensive...you should be called out and it's not cool
- I dont think the moderators should do anything about it, the community should call it out collectively
- if you unknowingly uses offensive language, it's the communities responsibility to educate them as gently as possible
- the moderators shouldn't have to deal with this crap because we're adults, let's all act like it.
- as much as we can we should make this place an escape from the ugliness of the world, not another source of it. Act accordingly.

Allow me to respectfully share that I find your verb tense offensive.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2018, 11:54:04 AM »
You really don't know? ;D

I have no clue ;D

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2018, 02:17:16 PM »
Allow me to respectfully share that I find your verb tense offensive.

I'm an engineering, I don't even know how to spell verb tense.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2018, 02:19:27 PM »
I'm an engineering, I don't even know how to spell verb tense.

Or, apparently, major.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2018, 02:57:33 PM »
Or, apparently, major.

Of course I'm a major, I'm not a minor. I'm a man, I'm 40
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2018, 04:01:19 PM »
Of course I'm a major, I'm not a minor. I'm a man, I'm 40

Oh, you're a major alright. A major ....

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2018, 04:03:41 PM »
Oh, you're a major alright. A major ....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2018, 05:50:38 PM »
On topic, I hope this moves the discussion. As hilltopper and rocky were the ones to bring this up, I have to imagine they felt it was a discussion worth having. Even if in a small way, this impacts our community, be it the Marquette or Scoop community. As D'Lo said, "Adults know better, and it's unacceptable."

Scoop knows better. I sincerely hope going forward, we do better.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2018, 06:02:38 PM »
On topic, I hope this moves the discussion.

A bunch of #TheRighteousHypocrites whining doesn't do much but expose them. I looked back in my PM's over the years for anyone approaching me about it privately, but came up with nothing. Guess some thought posting publicly with insults and name calling, combined with whining and bothering the mods over and over again was a more effective means of enacting change.

We've got some true warriors of justice on here. One guy stopped saying 'Vadgers'... another won't call uw-madison "Becky" because it's so hurtful and condescending to women.. get a grip.

For those of you who are so outspoken and teared-up, I wonder what other amazing actions you take to enact change. Do you sit when 'Jump Around' comes on and complain to the school about the lyrics that discuss assault on women? Do you see reruns of The Office come on and immediately start a nasty email campaign to the networks to never show another episode because it objectifies women? Or do you mostly post insults on a message board and "snitch" in private? You're truly fighting the good fight. Great job. 

(The questions above are rhetorical.. no need for you to answer, I already know the truth).

Some of you are coming at this all wrong (no mu82)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2018, 06:07:19 PM »
A bunch of #TheRighteousHypocrites whining doesn't do much but expose them. I looked back in my PM's over the years for anyone approaching me about it privately, but came up with nothing. Guess some thought posting publicly with insults and name calling, combined with whining and bothering the mods over and over again was a more effective means of enacting change.

We've got some true warriors of justice on here. One guy stopped saying 'Vadgers'... another won't call uw-madison "Becky" because it's so hurtful and condescending to women.. get a grip.

For those of you who are so outspoken and teared-up, I wonder what other amazing actions you take to enact change. Do you sit when 'Jump Around' comes on and complain to the school about the lyrics that discuss assault on women? Do you see reruns of The Office come on and immediately start a nasty email campaign to the networks to never show another episode because it objectifies women? Or do you mostly post insults on a message board and "snitch" in private? You're truly fighting the good fight. Great job. 

(The questions above are rhetorical.. no need for you to answer, I already know the truth).

Absolutely no self reflection at all?  What a caustic piece of work

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2018, 06:20:47 PM »

You have found a sweet spot for yourself, that's for sure. Funny how being a bigot tends to coincide with being a coward.

You tell me when and where I can "come at you", then there won't be any room for misunderstanding. Make sure you bring a few ice packs along.

(rhetorical question - we already know you aren't man enough)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2018, 06:25:00 PM »
You have found a sweet spot for yourself, that's for sure. Funny how being a bigot tends to coincide with being a coward.

You tell me when and where I can "come at you", then there won't be any room for misunderstanding. Make sure you bring a few ice packs along.

(rhetorical question - we already know you aren't man enough)

Give me your info and we can chat. I’m available in downtown Minneapolis on Thursday night.

Hurry, before you get banned for the physical threats.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2018, 07:07:39 PM »

Interesting.

This coming from the guy who has repeatedly called for my banning and who has famously claimed to withhold "information" because of my postings.

Yet there is not a single PM from you in my inbox.  Righteous hypocrite indeed.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2018, 07:11:25 PM »

Ahhh....

Yet again the lame argument that unless you are doing EVERYTHING you can to change culture, you shouldn't be allowed to do anything.

Usually one of the excuses for those who are backward to excuse their behavior.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2018, 07:26:23 PM »

The "Why Yes, I Am A Barely Sufferable Misogynistic Homophobe" response, eh?  OK.

This is why I support the mods' decision to allow posters to show their red asses.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.