Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Nico  (Read 22006 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Nico
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2018, 06:35:41 PM »
I don't think Nico got paid.

I do think that Arizona pays its players better because...well, it's been factually proven to be the case.

But I get what you're saying.  I'll move along.

Where has it been factually proven? Allegations are allegations. Where are your facts? What has been proven?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2018, 11:52:28 PM »

Here are the basic facts as I understand them on Arizona and the FBI's investigation into college basketball recruiting.

In September 2017, Arizona assistant coach Emanuel "Book" Richardson was one of four NCAA assistant coaches indicted on charges of fraud and corruption. Richardson was immediately suspended by Arizona, pled not guilty to the charges in November, then formally fired in January of this year.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20824193/ncaa-basketball-coaches-10-charged-fraud-corruption

In February of this year, ESPN reported that FBI wiretaps intercepted phone conversations in which Sean Miller discussed paying $100,000 to land Deandre Ayton.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22559284/sean-miller-arizona-christian-dawkins-discussed-payment-ensure-deandre-ayton-signing-according-fbi-investigation

A week later, Sports Illustrated reported that ESPN got the details wrong. According to their source, the FBI wiretaps didn't start until after Ayton had already committed to Arizona.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/03/01/arizona-sean-miller-deandre-ayton-espn-report

Because both reports were based on leaks of protected information, it's hard to say anything definitively right now. The FBI has advised the NCAA to wait until the federal government's investigation is complete before looking into potential sanctions for the schools involved.

Sean Miller remains the coach at Arizona and the administration has stood with him. We'll have to see what else comes out.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2018, 09:15:12 AM »
Meh ... must easier and more fun to assume Miller cheats!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2018, 10:09:24 AM »
An Arizona coach was charged in a federal investigation. There is 0 doubt Arizona cheats, or at least did until a year ago.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2018, 03:00:52 PM »
The feds wouldn't have indicted Richardson without significant evidence. He faces multiple bribery and fraud charges, which could involve up to 60 years in prison and over a million dollars in fines.

Two of Richardson's co-defendants have already pled guilty in return for their cooperation. Richardson may eventually do the same, or fight the charges to the end (potentially a very risky and expensive proposition). Whatever the eventual fallout, the situation at Arizona doesn't look good.

Here's a more in-depth summary of the FBI's case from the Arizona Daily Star, posted back in March:

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/updated-timeline-how-fbi-s-wiretaps-and-investigation-threatened-to/collection_501418c4-a2f6-11e7-bde8-37db291076d6.html

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2018, 03:33:31 PM »
Meh ... must easier and more fun to assume Miller cheats!

Personally, I think the chances are 50/50 or better that Miller is eventually implicated. If not in federal court, then in the following NCAA investigation.

Arizona hasn't shown the same persistent pattern of wrongdoing as Louisville. But it's hard for me to believe Miller was completely uninvolved or had no idea what Richardson was doing. And as head of the program, Miller is ultimately responsible for his staff.

With several trials (Adidas exec James Gatto, consultant Merl Code and agent Christian Dawkins), starting in October, we should know more soon. Richardson's trial is set for next April.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 03:37:34 PM by Marcus92 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2018, 05:40:23 PM »
Personally, I think the chances are 50/50 or better that Miller is eventually implicated. If not in federal court, then in the following NCAA investigation.

Good!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2018, 09:35:36 PM »
An Arizona coach was charged in a federal investigation. There is 0 doubt Arizona cheats, or at least did until a year ago.

I hope you are still alive when any verdicts are returned.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2018, 10:25:36 PM »
I hope you are still alive when any verdicts are returned.
I would never bet against federal prosecutors; thier conviction rate is over 96%. They don't waste their time unless it's a slam dunk. (see how I made this a basketball related post)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2018, 10:33:35 PM »
I would never bet against federal prosecutors; thier conviction rate is over 96%. They don't waste their time unless it's a slam dunk. (see how I made this a basketball related post)

If they're really after you they'll get you. They have the resources to turn jump balls into slam dunks.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2018, 01:20:58 AM »
There's a good chance most if not all of these initial cases get resolved early. About 90% of federal cases are settled before trial.

This investigation started years ago. The FBI's modus operandi is to build the strongest possible case before making a single arrest. Between wiretaps and following the money, the evidence is likely overwhelming and nearly irrefutable.

It could be that in one or more of the October cases (such as Gatto or Dawkins), the feds will offer reduced charges in exchange for guilty pleas and cooperation in future cases. Which would further turn up the heat on Richardson or targets yet to be indicted.

burger

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2018, 08:17:45 AM »
At Arizona.....It partially "sells" itself......

Have you ever been on that campus......It is like UCLA or USC.....It is a "coed" rich environment.....

That is how we lost Gabe York back in the day.....

One visit.....A few introductions while he was there.....And he signed within days.....

Louisville does it in a "slightly" different manner.....LOL.....