[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Minutes if Nico commits  (Read 5839 times)

tower912

• All American
Minutes if Nico commits
« on: September 08, 2018, 08:31:29 AM »
First, it is great we have a craptacular thread about NM.

If Nico commits, does he get the keys from day 1?  Ahead of whom?   McEwen?  Howard?  Three guards at the expense of a Hauser?  A fun problem to have.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Minutes if Nico commits
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 09:55:48 AM »
I think the most compelling question might be if Joey can defend the 5. If so, I could see a 2015 Kentucky style approach where you have 2 units and 10 guys playing 10+ minutes but no one playing much more than 25.

Possibly a first unit of Nico/Markus/Sam/Morrow/Joey getting 20-25 mpg and a second unit of McEwen/Elliott/Cain/Bailey/John getting 15-20 mpg. Fit Anim and Eke in where you can with Akanno taking a redshirt.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 10:00:46 AM »
I think the most compelling question might be if Joey can defend the 5. If so, I could see a 2015 Kentucky style approach where you have 2 units and 10 guys playing 10+ minutes but no one playing much more than 25.

Possibly a first unit of Nico/Markus/Sam/Morrow/Joey getting 20-25 mpg and a second unit of McEwen/Elliott/Cain/Bailey/John getting 15-20 mpg. Fit Anim and Eke in where you can with Akanno taking a redshirt.

Morrow can defend the #5.  Or switch either Morrow/Joey with Theo.  Joey could be 'Mr. Go To' on a second unit led by McEwen.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 10:04:20 AM »
Respect the process.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 10:22:05 AM »

I have been told that Sacar is really playing well and will start this year.  At this point,  Joey is not as good as Sam.  Sam has the experience.  That Morrow is playing
the 5 and will probably play alot there.  I can see Nico maybe starting but no guarantee on that.  McEwen is really good.  Sam will be playing the 4 again, you might
see a line-up this year of Heldt or Theo,  Sam, Sacar, Howard and Chartonney has the first 5.  Bailey, Cain, Elliott, Morrow and Joey.  Ike will not play much, garbage
time.  So he has 11 players that all can play.   Can see Morrow, Hauser Boys, Howard and  Chartonney starting once the Big East starts.  Matts time might be more
limited than last year.  Joey goes down low more than Sam,  has inside posting ability, little bigger but both have average hops, both can shoot the ball from distance.
Should be fun.
e

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 11:11:12 AM »
I have been told that Sacar is really playing well and will start this year.  At this point,  Joey is not as good as Sam.  Sam has the experience.  That Morrow is playing
the 5 and will probably play alot there.  I can see Nico maybe starting but no guarantee on that.  McEwen is really good.  Sam will be playing the 4 again, you might
see a line-up this year of Heldt or Theo,  Sam, Sacar, Howard and Chartonney has the first 5.  Bailey, Cain, Elliott, Morrow and Joey.  Ike will not play much, garbage
time.  So he has 11 players that all can play.   Can see Morrow, Hauser Boys, Howard and  Chartonney starting once the Big East starts.  Matts time might be more
limited than last year.  Joey goes down low more than Sam,  has inside posting ability, little bigger but both have average hops, both can shoot the ball from distance.
Should be fun.
e

This isn't about this year, though, it's about 19-20. It was tough figuring out who joined Eke as not being in the second five. It will be hard figuring out who plays on this team. I think there's a legit case for everyone playing minutes from 1-12.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »
AZ Star carries article today that Nico has narrowed his choices to UA and Marquette.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 01:11:43 PM »
AZ Star carries article today that Nico has narrowed his choices to UA and Marquette.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 03:17:56 PM »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 06:06:33 PM »
Late to the party
Goal is National Championship

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 06:59:41 PM »
This isn't about this year, though, it's about 19-20. It was tough figuring out who joined Eke as not being in the second five. It will be hard figuring out who plays on this team. I think there's a legit case for everyone playing minutes from 1-12.

If our recruiting dreams come true there will probably be transfers - they're aren't meaningful minutes for the 12th guy.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 07:06:43 PM »
If our recruiting dreams come true there will probably be transfers - they're aren't meaningful minutes for the 12th guy.

Entirely possible, but you can only forecast the roster as it is. That said, I don't think we'd see transfers from Sam, Markus, Joey, Bailey, Eke or McEwen. Certainly Akanno and Mannion (in this scenario) would be here as freshmen. Morrow and Anim would be eligible as grad transfers, so maybe one of them. Really the only others that seem to be viable traditional transfer options are Theo, Cain, and Elliott.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 07:19:14 PM »
Entirely possible, but you can only forecast the roster as it is. That said, I don't think we'd see transfers from Sam, Markus, Joey, Bailey, Eke or McEwen. Certainly Akanno and Mannion (in this scenario) would be here as freshmen. Morrow and Anim would be eligible as grad transfers, so maybe one of them. Really the only others that seem to be viable traditional transfer options are Theo, Cain, and Elliott.
It is one thing for you to hate on Quincy McKnight, but come on, Theo Cain and Elliott are the heart and soul of the team going forward.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 07:46:41 PM »

Let's not speculate on such things brew.  Enjoy the bounty.  Things work themselves out.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 07:54:15 PM »
It is one thing for you to hate on Quincy McKnight, but come on, Theo Cain and Elliott are the heart and soul of the team going forward.

I agree and don't want any to leave. Here's the thing...logically history tells us there will be guys at the end of the bench and those guys will transfer. But who?

Sam & Markus are the studs, no chance, and Joey's not leaving while they are here. Unless we have an early declaration.

Bailey is just getting back to the game while Eke & McEwen already used their redshirt years, so none of them.

The newly arriving freshmen won't leave, so not Mannion nor Akanno.

I don't think Morrow will leave, but if either he or Sacar are unhappy with minutes, grad transferring is a legit option. Though honestly, I think most of MU nation is really sleeping on Sacar. He was our best defender and averaged 10 ppg over the last 15 games. He was just scratching the surface.

That only leaves three scholarship players that haven't used a year in residence. If anyone else goes, who else? Honestly, I think they could all stay and legitimately think a rotation like 2014-15 Kentucky is realistic. We could easily go 10 deep with most of the rotation playing 15-25 minutes.

Sam, Markus, Nico: 25 mpg (75)
Joey, Morrow: 22 mpg (44)
Cain, John: 15 mpg (30)
Elliott, McEwen: 13 mpg (26)
Anim, Bailey: 10 mpg (20)
Eke: 5 mpg (5)

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 12:09:19 AM »
Looks like Nico is going to AZ

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 03:00:01 AM »
Looks like Nico is going to AZ

As reported by ESPN.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 03:01:33 AM by Class71 »
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 10:57:31 AM »
As reported by ESPN.
Guess this thread should be locked, hey?
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 04:09:33 PM »
Nico: 0 minutes.

Everybody else: All the minutes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 04:15:57 PM »
Nico: 0 minutes.

Everybody else: All the minutes.
Hope the Hurricane flooding doesn’t come your way.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 06:43:26 AM »
Hope the Hurricane flooding doesn’t come your way.

Thanks. So far so good, but it's pouring now and the hardest rain is expected today. FYI, someone started a post to discuss the storm in the Superbar. Don't want to clog up the recruiting thread. But again, thanks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson