[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2018 College Football Thread  (Read 51698 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2018 College Football Thread
« Reply #350 on: January 01, 2019, 03:29:44 PM »
Reformists are never happy....literally.  Today's victory to savor, but tomorrow means additional changes....I'm just helping you get there faster...the inevitability of it all.  All a matter of time, baby.

What Lenny said.

Go shift some more goalposts and create more strawmen.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #351 on: January 01, 2019, 03:42:57 PM »
What Lenny said.

Go shift some more goalposts and create more strawmen.

Reformists, that is their daily mantra....move the goalposts again and again and again and again....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #352 on: January 01, 2019, 03:56:59 PM »
Yes continuous improvement should be the goal of every organization.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #353 on: January 07, 2019, 10:50:51 PM »
So much fun to see Nick Saban lose by 10,000 points!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #354 on: January 08, 2019, 07:17:25 AM »
Agreed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #355 on: January 08, 2019, 07:41:04 AM »
Saban has not lost that bad, since the year after he won the title at LSU. That was a 44-15 game at UGA.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #356 on: January 08, 2019, 07:58:53 AM »

Agreed.

So...how much would you have bet if someone would have offered you Alabama +25?  I might have gone broke.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #357 on: January 08, 2019, 09:20:38 AM »
Reformists, that is their daily mantra....move the goalposts again and again and again and again....
It is yours, too.  You just happen to want to move them backwards.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #358 on: January 08, 2019, 09:52:55 AM »

It's nice to see him take some responsibility.  He's almost as good at throwing kids under the bus while "taking responsibility" as Charlie Weiss was.  This really is an impressive quote:  "We thought we had a really, really good fake, and somebody didn't block a guy they were supposed to block, and so it didn't work.  So it was a bad call. It's always that way."  Translation:  "I'll take the blame for making a bad call (but it was only bad call because one of the kids screwed up)."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:04:45 AM by StillAWarrior »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #359 on: January 08, 2019, 10:23:35 AM »
It's nice to see him take some responsibility.  He's almost as good at throwing kids under the bus while "taking responsibility" as Charlie Weiss was.  This really is an impressive quote:  "We thought we had a really, really good fake, and somebody didn't block a guy they were supposed to block, and so it didn't work.  So it was a bad call. It's always that way."  Translation:  "I'll take the blame for making a bad call (but it was only bad call because one of the kids screwed up)."

d-bag.

The fact that he wins only makes him a winning d-bag.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #360 on: January 08, 2019, 10:24:48 AM »
I was rooting for Alabama yesterday for the same reason that I root for the Yankees vs the Red Sox. If its going to be evil empire vs next in line aspiring evil empire, might as well go full dark side.  If Dabo sustains Saban's success, he's going to be even worse to listen to in 5 years than Saban is now.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #361 on: January 08, 2019, 11:19:41 AM »
I could see Dabo ending up at Carolina if Riverboat Ron gets the axe next year.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #362 on: January 08, 2019, 11:27:09 AM »
I could see Dabo ending up at Carolina if Riverboat Ron gets the axe next year.

I would guess there's only one job Dabo would leave Clemson for. And that's the job of the guy he just beat.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #363 on: January 08, 2019, 11:36:06 AM »
I would guess there's only one job Dabo would leave Clemson for. And that's the job of the guy he just beat.

I know next to nothing about CFB, but why would Dabo leave for an SEC school?  He can recruit top notch talent, is the king of SC, in a good enough conference but not too much of a buzzsaw to make the top 4 every year.

Edit.  Except for $$$, yes.  But my guess is Clemson will match anything SC or 'Bama offers, but what the hell do I know.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #364 on: January 08, 2019, 11:41:27 AM »
If Dabo ends up with the Panthers, that would be fine. If not, that also would be fine. I have no idea if he would be a good pro coach, a bad pro coach or something in between.

I also have no idea if Dabo ever wants to leave Clemson, where as reinko says he is wildly successful, incredibly rich, and the master of his own fiefdom. Maybe he does want to go to Bama or the NFL or elsewhere eventually. Or maybe he doesn't. The only thing I know is that none of us here knows.

And of course, I also have no idea if Dabo will become as big a d-bag as Saban, who has spent decades perfecting his d-baggery.

On a related note ...

I think Bama just gave up another TD!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #365 on: January 08, 2019, 11:50:04 AM »
I know next to nothing about CFB, but why would Dabo leave for an SEC school?  He can recruit top notch talent, is the king of SC, in a good enough conference but not too much of a buzzsaw to make the top 4 every year.

Edit.  Except for $$$, yes.  But my guess is Clemson will match anything SC or 'Bama offers, but what the hell do I know.

He's an Alabama native who played for the Crimson Tide then coached there for seven years before going to Clemson.
I think the only thing that might keep him - and perhaps some other quality candidates - from the job is that Saban will be an impossible act to follow. Regardless of last night's game, what he's done at Bama is unprecedented in college football.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:52:34 AM by Pakuni »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #366 on: January 08, 2019, 12:26:09 PM »
He's an Alabama native who played for the Crimson Tide then coached there for seven years before going to Clemson.
I think the only thing that might keep him - and perhaps some other quality candidates - from the job is that Saban will be an impossible act to follow. Regardless of last night's game, what he's done at Bama is unprecedented in college football.

You can be a pretty great coach at Bama and still only be third on their list of their greatest coaches.  He's got a great thing going at Clemson.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #367 on: January 08, 2019, 12:32:20 PM »

Of course, you're not exactly including all of what Saban said after the game.

“I just have a feeling that I didn’t do a very good job for our team, with our team, giving them the best opportunity to be successful,” Saban said. “I always feel that way, even sometimes when we win, I think there’s things we could do better or that I could have done better.
“But particularly in this case, never really ever got comfortable with what we needed to do to win this game, especially on defense, especially the matchups we had in our secondary versus their receivers. That was something that was kind of bothering me going into the game, and as the game unfolded, it worked out that those matchups were a big difference in the game.”

I get why people dislike Saban, but it's unfair to suggest he didn't take the blame last night.
Oh, and he was right about the fake. It was a bad call and it did get blown up because of a missed block.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #368 on: January 08, 2019, 12:44:58 PM »
Of course, you're not exactly including all of what Saban said after the game.

“I just have a feeling that I didn’t do a very good job for our team, with our team, giving them the best opportunity to be successful,” Saban said. “I always feel that way, even sometimes when we win, I think there’s things we could do better or that I could have done better.
“But particularly in this case, never really ever got comfortable with what we needed to do to win this game, especially on defense, especially the matchups we had in our secondary versus their receivers. That was something that was kind of bothering me going into the game, and as the game unfolded, it worked out that those matchups were a big difference in the game.”

I get why people dislike Saban, but it's unfair to suggest he didn't take the blame last night.
Oh, and he was right about the fake. It was a bad call and it did get blown up because of a missed block.

I quoted from the article that I read.  If he said other things that were reported in other places, good on him.  I never claimed to be providing a comprehensive summary of everything Saban said about last night's game.

And someone should have called off the fake when they saw the defensive alignment.  I'm honestly not sure who has that responsibility on their staff.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #369 on: January 08, 2019, 01:02:34 PM »
If Dabo sustains Saban's success, he's going to be even worse to listen to in 5 years than Saban is now.

I don't know about that.  There are differences in their approaches.

Saban, much like his former boss Billy B in NE, takes a pretty soulless, straight forward, obsessive approach to coaching.  Dabo is no doubt equally as focused and organized, but clearly has a lot more fun with it and creates a much more light hearted environment around his program.  Saban didn't even celebrate a national championship a few years back and could only focus on going back to recruiting.  Hes a lunatic.

I was having a discussion with my friend last night about how long Saban coaches.  He's 67 so we said he's probably got 8-10 years left cause I can't see him putting his feet up on a beach and relaxing, the man doesn't know how to turn off.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #370 on: January 08, 2019, 01:15:20 PM »

In my world they say this is already a done deal.  Sabian retires, Dabo comes back home to his alma mater.  Depending on who you believe in the industry they say this has essentially been agreed to a few years ago from a gentlemen’s perspective and Clemson knows it.

Guess we will see.  Can’t believe Saban wants to do this too many more years. Especially the recruiting part.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #371 on: January 08, 2019, 01:17:15 PM »
In my world they say this is already a done deal.  Sabian retires, Dabo comes back home to his alma mater.  Depending on who you believe in the industry they say this has essentially been agreed to a few years ago from a gentlemen’s perspective and Clemson knows it.

Guess we will see.  Can’t believe Saban wants to do this too many more years. Especially the recruiting part.

As evidenced by the fact that we're all here, the lure of one's alma mater is a powerful thing.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #372 on: January 08, 2019, 01:17:31 PM »
It is yours, too.  You just happen to want to move them backwards.

Nope.  Progress doesn’t always mean moving forward, even if some people want to pretend that is the case.

And yes, by definition reformists are never happy. There is always the next perceived injustice they have to tackle.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  It is inate in their nature. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #373 on: January 08, 2019, 01:19:42 PM »
As evidenced by the fact that we're all here, the lure of one's alma mater is a powerful thing.

True, and because of the specialness of that program to be one to carry it on is big.

Anyone following Saban has a brutal job, but someone like Dabo who has some ships already makes that transition much more manageable.  Especially if they go on a further roll here over the next few years, some Tide fans and boosters will be pushing for it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #374 on: January 08, 2019, 01:25:04 PM »
And yes, by definition reformists are never happy. There is always the next perceived injustice they have to tackle.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  It is inate in their nature.

This is such a bad, bad argument.
All the great leaders in human history were reformists. As was the guy I suspect you worship as God.
"That Jesus  ... always shifting goalposts and never happy."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:32:57 PM by Pakuni »

feedback