collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2018 College Football Thread  (Read 51702 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: 2018 College Football Thread
« Reply #327 on: December 30, 2018, 01:20:13 PM »

Miami has been overrated all year.  Richt has one more year or he's going to be run out of there.  They have lost 10 of their last 16 stretching back to last year.  And the thing is, Miami really isn't that great of a program.  They haven't had a season with less than three losses for 15 years.  (Since joining the ACC.) 

And if you can't stop the run v. Wisconsin, they are going to look good.  B10 teams know this and forced UW to throw with usually terrible results for UW.  Miami couldn't do that.

Well Richt retired today. 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #328 on: December 30, 2018, 02:08:00 PM »
After 2 years, Houston fired Major Applewhite.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

nyg

• All American
« Reply #329 on: December 30, 2018, 02:33:39 PM »

Well Richt retired today.

Richt could recruit at Georgia, but at Miami he was not getting the really good kids from Ft. Lauderdale, Pahokee and Belle Glade.

This opening should be really interesting.  Manny Diaz just left to be new coach at Temple, does he do a reverse?  Lane Kiffen up the road at FAU.  Bob Stoops, the ex Oklahoma coach or Mario Cristabol at Oregon. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 02:39:57 PM by nyg »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #330 on: December 30, 2018, 03:31:33 PM »

Smart move.  Cut their losses early.  Looks like Dana Holgorsen might leave WVU to go there.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #331 on: December 30, 2018, 03:55:26 PM »
Smart move.  Cut their losses early.  Looks like Dana Holgorsen might leave WVU to go there.

That would be really surprising. It would be choosing to go somewhere you know you're never going to compete for a national title. And if he doesn't win a ton there, he probably can forget about ever getting a gig better than the one he has now.
I would guess if his name is out there, it's because he's looking for more money from WVU. which is fair, because he's relatively underpaid.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #332 on: December 30, 2018, 04:01:45 PM »
That's exactly why his name is out there.  And apparently WVU doesn't want to pay him.  He's not the easiest guy to get along with so my guess is that they wouldn't mind if he walked.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #333 on: December 30, 2018, 06:41:10 PM »

Didn't need 5, aina?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #334 on: December 30, 2018, 07:14:28 PM »
Monday 12/31
Military Bowl: Cincinnati vs. Virginia Tech, 11:00, ESPN - Mike Corey, Rene Ingoglia, Alex Corddry

Sun Bowl: Stanford vs. Pittsburgh, 1:00, CBS - Brad Nessler, Gary Danielson, Jamie Erdahl

Redbox Bowl: Michigan State vs. Oregon, 2:00, FOX - Joe Davis, Brady Quinn, Bruce Feldman

Liberty Bowl: 23 Missouri vs. Oklahoma State, 2:45, ESPN - Clay Matvick, Dan Orlovsky, Paul Carcaterra

Holiday Bowl: 22 Northwestern vs. 17 Utah, 6:00, FS1 - Gus Johnson, Joel Klatt, Jenny Taft

Gator Bowl: NC State vs. 19 Texas A&M, 6:30, ESPN - Adam Amin, Rod Gilmore, Quint Kessenich

If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #335 on: December 30, 2018, 09:56:41 PM »
Richt could recruit at Georgia, but at Miami he was not getting the really good kids from Ft. Lauderdale, Pahokee and Belle Glade.

This opening should be really interesting.  Manny Diaz just left to be new coach at Temple, does he do a reverse?  Lane Kiffen up the road at FAU.  Bob Stoops, the ex Oklahoma coach or Mario Cristabol at Oregon. 

Manny Diaz it is...after accepting Temple job a couple weeks ago.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #336 on: December 30, 2018, 10:18:24 PM »
Manny Diaz it is...after accepting Temple job a couple weeks ago.

Shouldn't he have to sit out a year before he's eligible?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #337 on: December 30, 2018, 10:55:52 PM »
Didn't need 5, aina?

Good thing we didn’t listen to the experts that wanted Wojo out after two, eh?

Bill McCartney the best example, 7-25 after three seasons including 1-10 in year three.  Went on to win a national championship at same school.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 05:32:41 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #338 on: December 30, 2018, 10:57:22 PM »
Shouldn't he have to sit out a year before he's eligible?

Did he receive any benefits?  Paid yet? Did he have a buyout?  Give players buyouts and I say transfer all day and all long if you wish.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

nyg

• All American
« Reply #339 on: December 31, 2018, 07:30:35 AM »
Did he receive any benefits?  Paid yet? Did he have a buyout?  Give players buyouts and I say transfer all day and all long if you wish.

Just a buyout.  Temple gets 4 million from Miami. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #340 on: December 31, 2018, 07:54:08 AM »
Good thing we didn’t listen to the experts that wanted Wojo our after two, eh?

Bill McCartney the best example, 7-25 after three seasons including 1-10 in year three.  Went on to win a national championship at same school.

Applewhite wasn't McCartney.  He took over a team with good talent, did above average work and apparently lost the locker room.  And that's after taking over as an assistant. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #341 on: December 31, 2018, 09:15:14 AM »
Give players buyouts and I say transfer all day and all long if you wish.

You OK with the player's new school paying the buyout?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #342 on: December 31, 2018, 09:30:45 AM »

OK, sure. Though I'm surprised you now want to make athletes employees of the university and all that comes with that (like, you know, rights and fair compensation). Mark Emmert would not approve.
Also, keep in mind, just as with coaches, the players wouldn't be paying a dime of these buyout costs.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #343 on: December 31, 2018, 11:29:30 AM »
Sure, I'm all for players having buyouts that -- as several fellow Scoopers beat me to -- their new schools would pay every time.

Total freedom for athletes, just as the coaches have. That's fair, and it's what college sports should have.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #344 on: December 31, 2018, 05:13:59 PM »
Back to the subject of whether there should be 8 teams in the Playoffs.....

Why? As we just saw, there are only 2 teams that have any chance to win it all. Why add 4 more teams that would have almost no chance?

I meant that rhetorically, of course. There is only one reason to add 4 more teams.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #345 on: December 31, 2018, 05:37:35 PM »
OK, sure. Though I'm surprised you now want to make athletes employees of the university and all that comes with that (like, you know, rights and fair compensation). Mark Emmert would not approve.
Also, keep in mind, just as with coaches, the players wouldn't be paying a dime of these buyout costs.

In some cases they don't, in some cases they do.  For example, a coach is supposed to get X at new school, but that is deducted to pay buyout.  Then there are examples where coach doesn't pay a dime, wealthy booster or new school pays buyout in full. 

Based on what some of you advocate, I'm surprised you guys aren't for 10 day contracts....let players come and go each week...trade them on a virtual stock market baby. Let's go.  Oh, and forget any enrollment in classes...that's for schmucks 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #346 on: December 31, 2018, 06:22:25 PM »
In some cases they don't, in some cases they do.  For example, a coach is supposed to get X at new school, but that is deducted to pay buyout.  Then there are examples where coach doesn't pay a dime, wealthy booster or new school pays buyout in full. 

Based on what some of you advocate, I'm surprised you guys aren't for 10 day contracts....let players come and go each week...trade them on a virtual stock market baby. Let's go.  Oh, and forget any enrollment in classes...that's for schmucks

When in doubt, introduce strawmen, shift goalposts and bring in dopey hypotheticals.

In other words, just keep hoopaloopin', baby.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #347 on: December 31, 2018, 06:35:21 PM »
When in doubt, introduce strawmen, shift goalposts and bring in dopey hypotheticals.

In other words, just keep hoopaloopin', baby.

Reformists are never happy....literally.  Today's victory to savor, but tomorrow means additional changes....I'm just helping you get there faster...the inevitability of it all.  All a matter of time, baby.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #348 on: December 31, 2018, 09:05:00 PM »
Reformists are never happy....literally.  Today's victory to savor, but tomorrow means additional changes....I'm just helping you get there faster...the inevitability of it all.  All a matter of time, baby.

In that case, let's never reform anything. Maybe we can even turn back the clock - make blacks three fifths of a person, take away women's right to vote, etc..You know, all the good old days things that the pesky reformers screwed up.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #349 on: December 31, 2018, 10:58:44 PM »
We want Bama.

Roll damn Cats.

feedback