[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2018 College Football Thread  (Read 51777 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2018 College Football Thread
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2018, 11:03:34 AM »
Saw this on the twitter:

"Kentucky and Duke are ranked in the same football AP poll for the 1st time since 1957. They have been ranked in the same basketball AP poll 547 times in that span."

Interesting.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2018, 11:30:44 AM »
Virginia Tech aint Michigan.

Not only that, but the Hokies have a history of losing games like this. This may not even be their worst loss:

2010 - James Madison 21, #13 VaTech 16 (JMU was a 31-point dog)
1998 - Temple 28, #14 VaTech 24 (Temple was a 35-point dog)

For the record, ODU was a 28.5-point underdog Saturday.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2018, 12:13:10 PM »

Again, a low level FBS school upsets a ranked P5 school pretty much every year.  Such as last year.  Without looking it up, can you remember who is was?  There was also one in 2015.  Probably don't remember that one either.

"Low level", so you just mean non-P5?  I assume you're talking about Troy-LSU last year.  Which was probably the "biggest" upset of the non-con.  But Troy is a solid program who won their conference last year.  Thats different than a team who got blown out by an FCS school the weak before and who most people wouldn't know played FBS football.

I indeed don't recall 2015.  I looked it up, are you talking Citadel/South Carolina?  Cause that USC team was TRAAAASSHH.

It might not still be a national story in December but it wasn't a run of the mill weekly or annual upset.

But yea, VT does love choking in buy games.  I don't know how good JMU was in 2010, but JMU is probably  perennial top 3 FCS program, along with NDSU.  They could, and often do, handle FBS teams when given a chance.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2018, 12:59:03 PM »
"Low level", so you just mean non-P5?  I assume you're talking about Troy-LSU last year.  Which was probably the "biggest" upset of the non-con.  But Troy is a solid program who won their conference last year.  Thats different than a team who got blown out by an FCS school the weak before and who most people wouldn't know played FBS football.

I indeed don't recall 2015.  I looked it up, are you talking Citadel/South Carolina?  Cause that USC team was TRAAAASSHH.

It might not still be a national story in December but it wasn't a run of the mill weekly or annual upset.

But yea, VT does love choking in buy games.  I don't know how good JMU was in 2010, but JMU is probably  perennial top 3 FCS program, along with NDSU.  They could, and often do, handle FBS teams when given a chance.

2015 was Memphis over Ole Miss.

But my point is that those single, one-off events don't have lasting positive PR implications.  That's really was my entire point to counter what Chicos said.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2018, 04:38:16 PM »

James Madison has had some really good FCS teams, but 2010 wasn't one of them. They went 6-5 that year, including 3-5 in conference.
They have knocked off a few FBS teams, but outside the one game against VaTech, by and large they were bad FBS teams. They beat ECU last year (ECU finished 3-9) and SMU in 2015 (Mustangs were 2-10 that year).
In recent seasons, they've also lost twice to UNC (by 28 and 30, respectively), Maryland (by 45) and West Virginia (by 30). They lost by 11 earlier this year to a meh NC State team.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2018, 05:14:43 PM »
Jeremy Larkin from Northwestern had to retire today for medical reasons.

Whenever it seems like Northwestern is primed to have a special year, it all goes to hell.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2018, 05:33:43 PM »

Whenever it seems like Northwestern is primed to have a special year, it all goes to hell.

Any chance for a special year went out the window with the Duke game...and then shattered on the pavement with the Akron loss.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2018, 05:40:12 PM »
Any chance for a special year went out the window with the Duke game...and then shattered on the pavement with the Akron loss.

I mean, obviously. But its just a similar feeling to 2012 when they were 3-0, had Ohio St. on the ropes blew the lead and then their entire season imploded after Venric Mark got hurt.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2018, 05:52:59 PM »

Per twitter, spinal stenosis. If he had to retire, rather then have a surgery and sit the rest of the season out, I'd guess cervical stenosis +/- spinal cord compression.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2018, 01:28:49 PM »
Yep, other than the fact that VT travelled to ODU, I would say it was the biggest FBS upset since App St over UM
App. State was not in the FBS at that time. They were the two time defending champs in the FCS level when they beat Michigan.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2018, 10:50:50 PM »

2015 was Memphis over Ole Miss.

But my point is that those single, one-off events don't have lasting positive PR implications.  That's really was my entire point to counter what Chicos said.

People still talk about App State over Michigan.   ODU was 0-3.  They didn't have a program from 1942 through 2008.  They were nearly dead last in every FBS ranking.  This will be one of the ESPY Upsets Of The Year come next Summer.  Monumental upset.  Biggest on record since ESPN rankings started.

ODU @ Liberty (1-2)  Loss  52-10
ODU vs FIU (2-2)  Loss 28-20
ODU @ Charlotte (2-2)  Loss  28-25

ODU vs #13 Virginia Tech (2-1)  Win 49-35

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2018, 08:50:06 AM »
People still talk about App State over Michigan.   ODU was 0-3.  They didn't have a program from 1942 through 2008.  They were nearly dead last in every FBS ranking.  This will be one of the ESPY Upsets Of The Year come next Summer.  Monumental upset.  Biggest on record since ESPN rankings started.

ODU @ Liberty (1-2)  Loss  52-10
ODU vs FIU (2-2)  Loss 28-20
ODU @ Charlotte (2-2)  Loss  28-25

ODU vs #13 Virginia Tech (2-1)  Win 49-35

No one will care in a month.  No one cares about the ESPYs.

Case in point.  Go to any marginal college basketball fan and ask them to name the teams involved in the 16 v. 1 upset from last year's tournament.  I doubt 5% would recall who played. 

What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there anything of which one can say,
    “Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
    it was here before our time.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 08:53:54 AM by #bansultan »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2018, 09:04:03 AM »

No one will care in a month.  No one cares about the ESPYs.

Case in point.  Go to any marginal college basketball fan and ask them to name the teams involved in the 16 v. 1 upset from last year's tournament.  I doubt 5% would recall who played. 

What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there anything of which one can say,
    “Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
    it was here before our time.

I think chicos2 was simply saying that ODU over VaTech was a bigger upset than App St over Michigan because App St has been a fine program (albeit not a high-major one) for a long time while ODU has been one step up from Marquette club football.

And on this occasion, I agree with c2.

However, sultan, I agree with you about the ESPYs and all that. And the App State win probably will be remembered longer because it was so outrageous at the time; there have been big upsets since then but that was one that really energized all college football fans whose school colors aren't maize and blue.

Neither of them were Chaminade over Ralph Sampson, of course! Heck, neither of them were UMBC over Sampson's alma mater!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2018, 12:41:20 PM »
I think chicos2 was simply saying that ODU over VaTech was a bigger upset than App St over Michigan because App St has been a fine program (albeit not a high-major one) for a long time while ODU has been one step up from Marquette club football.

And on this occasion, I agree with c2.

However, sultan, I agree with you about the ESPYs and all that. And the App State win probably will be remembered longer because it was so outrageous at the time; there have been big upsets since then but that was one that really energized all college football fans whose school colors aren't maize and blue.

Neither of them were Chaminade over Ralph Sampson, of course! Heck, neither of them were UMBC over Sampson's alma mater!

Well said

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2018, 01:56:07 PM »

No one will care in a month. 
ODU fans and players will care forever!

That said, to the point I think you are trying to make, unless VT goes 12-1 with winning the ACC, it (ODU's win) will not be talked about after this weekend.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 01:57:53 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2018, 02:54:55 PM »
Clemson senior QB Kelly Bryant leaves program so he can play elsewhere next season. He had lost the starting job to a freshman.

Highest-profile example so far of the new "redshirt allowed after 4 games" rule.

Excellent rule, giving the athletes a little of the control that had been exclusively reserved for coaches and other rich, powerful figures.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2018, 07:50:53 AM »
Funny how things went with Trevor Lawrence knocked out of the game vs Syracuse. Gut check comeback for Clemson.
-Bill Walton

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2018, 09:02:29 AM »
Clemson senior QB Kelly Bryant leaves program so he can play elsewhere next season. He had lost the starting job to a freshman.

Highest-profile example so far of the new "redshirt allowed after 4 games" rule.

Excellent rule, giving the athletes a little of the control that had been exclusively reserved for coaches and other rich, powerful figures.

Bryant is an unintended beneficiary of the rule. I believe he also needs to grad transfer to be immediately eligible next year,  so it's two rules that combine to form a loophole.

The rule is intended to let players either 1) get a little playing time early in the season to determine if they can contribute as true freshman or should redshirt, or 2) get some game experience late in the year for teams that are looking ahead to next year.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2018, 05:06:05 PM »
Come on Mods! Lock this thread! What heresy discussing college football here On MUScoop.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2018, 08:40:14 PM »
Big games this weekend...
Oklahoma vs Texas @11am on FOX
LSU @ Florida @ 2:30 on CBS
Notre Dame @ Va Tech @7pm on ABC
-Bill Walton

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2018, 09:09:21 PM »
Old Dominion loses again. 1-5.  Virginia Tech trails #6 Notre Dame by 1 point in the second half. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2018, 09:19:17 PM »
Old Dominion loses again. 1-5.  Virginia Tech trails #6 Notre Dame by 1 point in the second half. 

So?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2018, 02:14:11 AM »

Only way ODU is relevant now is if they are the loss that keeps VT out of the playoff. After tonight, it looks like that ship has sailed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2018, 07:20:46 AM »
Effen ND.

I still have confidence in them that they'll find a way to lose to either Navy, Syracuse or both.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2018, 08:58:20 AM »
Effen ND.

I still have confidence in them that they'll find a way to lose to either Navy, Syracuse or both.

Northwestern has your back

feedback