[Today at 12:45:22 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2018 College Football Thread  (Read 51711 times)

MUEng92

• All American
Re: 2018 College Football Thread
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2018, 10:20:18 PM »
Coach O is a treasure. I’ve turned into a legit LSU fan in hopes that I never have to go a Saturday afternoon without him.
I assume you are talking about the guy with the cameo in The Blind Side.

I remember the first time I saw that scene I thought "he's the only one that isn't actually a coach". Then I realized he was way too bad of an actor, so he must be a coach.

Google saved the day again.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 06:47:51 AM »
One of my two favorite teams won today, as BYU beat F%cky but Vandy couldn't quite come back all the way against the Flailin' Irish.

ND barely beat Ball State and Vandy at home, but they'll move up in the rankings. One of the weaker top-10 teams of recent vintage. Wait till they start playing actual opponents.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2018, 06:52:41 AM »
One of my two favorite teams won today, as BYU beat F%cky but Vandy couldn't quite come back all the way against the Flailin' Irish.

ND barely beat Ball State and Vandy at home, but they'll move up in the rankings. One of the weaker top-10 teams of recent vintage. Wait till they start playing actual opponents.
Right.  They started with a Big 10 team, so it was mid-major, mid-major, Vanderbilt.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2018, 06:58:26 AM »
Right.  They started with a Big 10 team, so it was mid-major, mid-major, Vanderbilt.

ND had better refs than Bucky.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2018, 08:08:33 AM »
When Bucky struggled so much last week with New Mexico (it was a 3-point game midway through the 3rd quarter) I had a feeling they were going to take a fall sooner rather than later. Can't say I'm all that surprised by this.

Defense isn’t as good this year and Hornibrook just hasn’t taken that next step.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2018, 08:31:40 AM »
Did I hear correctly in that 7 Big 13 or 14, whatever it is lost non-conference games yesterday?
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2018, 09:17:10 AM »
Yeah butt, knot at home, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2018, 04:18:45 PM »
Did I hear correctly in that the Big Ten lost non-conference games yesterday?
Nebraska to Troy
Purdue to Missouri
Northwestern to Akron
Wis to BYU
Rutgers to Kansas
Maryland to Temple
Illinois to USF

If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2018, 05:34:52 PM »
Nebraska to Troy
Purdue to Missouri
Northwestern to Akron
Wis to BYU
Rutgers to Kansas
Maryland to Temple
Illinois to USF

Low major.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2018, 05:57:54 PM »
Nebraska to Troy
Purdue to Missouri
Northwestern to Akron
Wis to BYU
Rutgers to Kansas
Maryland to Temple
Illinois to USF
That’s an embarrassing casualty list except for Rutgers who is truly a mid major, didn’t belong in the BE or Big 13 or 14.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2018, 04:18:16 PM »
Has anyone ever been to a football game at Indiana?  Any idea whether they fill the stadium or whether I'll be able to get two cheap tickets as a walk-up on Saturday night (vs. MSU)?  For what it's worth, I won't be a particularly motivated buyer -- we're going to be visiting campus, and if we can get tickets, great.  If not, that's fine too.  I'm just wondering if I should even expect to get a ticket.  I see them for $45 online, and, frankly, I'm not sure we'd pay that.

Edited to add:  if someone here says, "Oh man, the Hoosier football experience is something you don't want to miss" I'd be skeptical, but interested to hear that.  If that were the case, well then...sure...$45 would seem more attractive.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:19:56 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2018, 05:00:57 PM »
You’ll be able to walk up. Hoosier football isn’t a top notch experience by any means.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2018, 05:04:58 PM »
You’ll be able to walk up. Hoosier football isn’t a top notch experience by any means.

Thanks. Kind what I figured. I’ll be visiting with my daughter and figured it might be fun if it’s cheap. If not, it’s fun just being on a college campus on game day. I think she’ll enjoy it either way.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2018, 06:24:19 PM »
May wanna ring up T-Cubed. He's connections and such, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2018, 08:32:42 AM »
Wow, gotta suck when your CFB season is over before conference play even starts. Bye bye Bucky.

BTW, I am not sure how UW's season is "over."  If they win out, they will very likely be in the playoffs because that assumes wins at Michigan, at Penn State and against either of those two or Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship Game.

And that schedule is why I thought the  playoff talk was not realistic anyway. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2018, 10:16:51 AM »
ND looked much, much better with Book

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »
Old Dominion resurrected their program in 2009, knocks off top 15 Virginia Tech and receives more publicity then they could possibly ever pay for. That will be the biggest surprise win of the year, one of the biggest in the last decade.  Backup QB throws for 495 yards. 

ODU was ranked 124th out of 129 FBS schools. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2018, 11:27:52 AM »
Old Dominion resurrected their program in 2009, knocks off top 15 Virginia Tech and receives more publicity then they could possibly ever pay for. That will be the biggest surprise win of the year, one of the biggest in the last decade.  Backup QB throws for 495 yards. 

ODU was ranked 124th out of 129 FBS schools. 

More publicity than they could possibly pay for?  These upsets happen routinely. No one will remember it next month.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2018, 10:20:26 PM »
More publicity than they could possibly pay for?  These upsets happen routinely. No one will remember it next month.

From ESPN: "The Monarchs were 0-3 entering Saturday, including a blowout loss to Liberty, a first year FBS team, and coming off a humiliating loss to Charlotte. ESPN's Football Power Index gave ODU a 1.8% chance of winning, making this the largest upset by an FBS opponent in the metric's 14 year history."

Upsets happen routinely, but not "these upsets".

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2018, 10:35:46 PM »
From ESPN: "The Monarchs were 0-3 entering Saturday, including a blowout loss to Liberty, a first year FBS team, and coming off a humiliating loss to Charlotte. ESPN's Football Power Index gave ODU a 1.8% chance of winning, making this the largest upset by an FBS opponent in the metric's 14 year history."

Yep, other than the fact that VT travelled to ODU, I would say it was the biggest FBS upset since App St over UM

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2018, 07:50:44 AM »

Cool. Again, hardly anyone will remember next month. It really doesn't bring that much publicity.

Yep, other than the fact that VT travelled to ODU, I would say it was the biggest FBS upset since App St over UM

Virginia Tech aint Michigan.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2018, 09:22:30 AM »
Virginia Tech aint Michigan.

Cool.  Thats not the point I was making.  A school who has been FBS for 3 years pulled and was terrible this year stomped a top-15 opponent at home and was a massive upset by any metric.  This wasn't a conference team catching a familiar opponent napping.  So you're wrong on this sort of upset happening every week.  And maybe the national media forgets about it, but I can assure you the state of Virginia wont, which is where ODU will gain needed publicity and recruiting cache for football.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2018, 09:30:47 AM »
Saw this on the twitter:

"Kentucky and Duke are ranked in the same football AP poll for the 1st time since 1957. They have been ranked in the same basketball AP poll 547 times in that span."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2018, 10:46:26 AM »
Cool.  Thats not the point I was making.  A school who has been FBS for 3 years pulled and was terrible this year stomped a top-15 opponent at home and was a massive upset by any metric.  This wasn't a conference team catching a familiar opponent napping.  So you're wrong on this sort of upset happening every week.  And maybe the national media forgets about it, but I can assure you the state of Virginia wont, which is where ODU will gain needed publicity and recruiting cache for football.

Again, a low level FBS school upsets a ranked P5 school pretty much every year.  Such as last year.  Without looking it up, can you remember who is was?  There was also one in 2015.  Probably don't remember that one either.