[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mike Deane to be featured on College GameDay  (Read 7243 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Mike Deane to be featured on College GameDay
« on: January 17, 2008, 10:24:12 AM »
Airing this Saturday @ 10 a.m., they're doing a feature on the coach who has to fasten his seatbelt while on the bench.

I think they should also include a special segment on his drinking habits in Milwaukee.  Still laughing about how he purchased a keg or two @ Theo's for students and kegs & eggs.  I think the more he drank the darker his glasses became.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
Re: Mike Deane to be featured on College GameDay
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 12:29:51 PM »
Hopefully they show a replay of him pumping the fists at the Ville fans after we beat them at Freedom Hall.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 02:26:23 PM »
Hopefully they show a replay of him pumping the fists at the Ville fans after we beat them at Freedom Hall.

And in pumping fists I think you mean giving the bird  :D

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 02:34:59 PM »

And in pumping fists I think you mean giving the bird  :D

A myth/legend perpetuated by (still) angry U of L fans.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 02:50:24 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he did flip off Louisville fans.

MUfan2

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 03:13:19 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he did flip off Louisville fans.

I'm sure glad we got Crean and the program is where it is right now, but that man sure was a sight to watch.  Hilarious.  Pretty good coach too.  I still wish Crean would step up and take a "T" when the team needs it.  Deano sure wasn't afraid of that!
"If you are making your decision based on climate, you're probably not tough enough to play here." - Buzz Williams

mugoose

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 03:18:22 PM »
True story:

It was a cold and snowy January night, 1996. I was visiting Marquette as a high school senior - looking to attend following my hs graduation. The friend I was visiting snuck me into Hegs - i thought it was the greatest place I had ever been. I was At the bar, ordering my first beer of my life. Next me, slumped over, was a VERY drunk MIke Deane. He asked me if I played for him. I said no. He asked me if I was ever going to play for him. I said no. With that, he purchased me, my friend and the assistant coach he was with a beer.

From that moment on, I knew I needed to attend Marquette Univeristy.

WhereisGeraldPosey

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 03:20:33 PM »
Deane wasn't afraid of burning all of his timeouts in the first 4 minutes if he didn't like how the defense was playing, could almost make it into a drinking game when he would call the quick TO's.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 03:39:30 PM »
His postgame comments with George and Homer were great too.  He didn't keep his opinions to himself even if it meant giving constructive criticism to his players through the media.  But, the whole seatbelt thing is ridiculous - it strikes me as a desperate attempt to get attention.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

augoman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 09:04:08 PM »
he's a good game coach, and not afraid to tell you what's on his mind..., that's why he's not at MU anymore.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 02:32:39 AM »
Surprised that PRN hasn't followed with the obvious next statement here yet ...(not that I disagree with that).
GO WARRIORS!

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 08:27:30 AM »
Surprised that PRN hasn't followed with the obvious next statement here yet ...(not that I disagree with that).

Maybe you could tell me what the obvious statement is because I have no idea what you're talking about.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 10:36:33 AM »
I blame the upcoming GameDay special on our inefficiencies last night.  We tried waaaaaaaaay too hard to resemble a Mike Deane coached MU team in last night's first half.

Arguably the most painful half of MU bball I've had to endure (close 2nd would be our '03 C-USA Tourney loss to UAB...i.e. Wade's 10 turnovers, coincidentally also @ Freedom Hall).

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 11:06:23 AM »
When I emailed the SI story to a friend who did not go to MU, this was his response:

"He is a true classic. I think that if you couldn't witness a winning team in college, the second best option would be to have witnessed him."

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 11:32:39 AM »
I blame the upcoming GameDay special on our inefficiencies last night.  We tried waaaaaaaaay too hard to resemble a Mike Deane coached MU team in last night's first half.

Arguably the most painful half of MU bball I've had to endure (close 2nd would be our '03 C-USA Tourney loss to UAB...i.e. Wade's 10 turnovers, coincidentally also @ Freedom Hall).

How about the first half of the michigan state game in the tourney last year....

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 12:08:54 PM »
Worst half I can remember (in person anyway) was my senior year in Jan. 2000. We were playing #1 Cincy at home, and I think in the first half (can't find a box score to confirm), we scored something like 10 points (or thereabouts). I don't think we had our first score until about 8 minutes in, and it was all Wardle that night.

We ended up bouncing back to score 60 (lost 72-60 that night), but it was pretty brutal.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 12:29:04 PM »

I think they should also include a special segment on his drinking habits in Milwaukee.  Still laughing about how he purchased a keg or two @ Theo's for students and kegs & eggs.  I think the more he drank the darker his glasses became.

Got to know Mike pretty well b/c I did some stuff with ASMU / MUSG's student athletic board.  One day at Hegs I introduced him a guy who was a Sigma Chi (so was Deane).  Deane-o pulls out a hundo and says "buy the boys a keg before Charlotte".  I said, Mike, why don't you ever give me $100 for beer.  He said b/c I know you'll be there anyways and now so will that kid.  Now that's grass roots, guerilla marketing.

We did a pre cursor to Midnight Madness (1pm on a Saturday at the Old Gym) in 1996-97, he was on the phone with all of his buddies getting free stuff to donate as prizes, and had a ton of great ideas.  We packed the place.  This was after he initially said he was skeptical b/c all other pep rallies (Sweet 16 & NIT) drew no crowds and embarrassed the team.  Once we convinced him we'd go 100% on getting kids there, he was worked his tail off to make it a great event.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 12:31:41 PM »

How about the first half of the michigan state game in the tourney last year....

What about the first half of the Alabama game in the tourney the year before?

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 05:45:32 PM »

What about the first half of the Alabama game in the tourney the year before?

How about the UAB game Deiner's senior year?  Or frankly the Final Four game against KU. 

Sitting in the stands at that MSU game and the KU game were probably the worst experiences ever -- particularly when you put so much time into getting tickets and getting to the game.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 08:44:04 PM »
agreed!  the final 4 against Kansas was the worst night of my life..., I passed on $3200. for my 2 tickets that day thinking I was going to see another MU/Kentucky game.  Wow.   

Eye

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 11:13:44 PM »
not afraid to tell you what's on his mind..., that's why he's not at MU anymore.

Having an administration at MU where they're more concerned about symbolism and not letting people speak their mind seems to have produced the nickname debacle.
GO WARRIORS!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 12:54:08 AM »

Maybe you could tell me what the obvious statement is because I have no idea what you're talking about.

Awwwwwwww. you guys are so cute together! ;)
SS Marquette

FrennA

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 08:04:45 AM »
I recall being at that game MUDish mentioned.  My brother and I wanted to stick our heads in a hole.  We were getting killed that first half.  That's the worst half I've ever seen out of MU.  I'm not sure it was just MU, though.  CIncy was just that good!  Luckily we came back and made it somewhat decent.  It'd be interesting to see the boxscore.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 09:03:48 AM »
I recall being at that game MUDish mentioned.  My brother and I wanted to stick our heads in a hole.  We were getting killed that first half.  That's the worst half I've ever seen out of MU.  I'm not sure it was just MU, though.  CIncy was just that good!  Luckily we came back and made it somewhat decent.  It'd be interesting to see the boxscore.

If I recall correctly, that game ended up being kinda fun, as for a time in the second half it actually looked like we had a shot. Then of course UC's talent took over and we were hosed.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 09:09:10 AM »
Deane wasn't afraid of burning all of his timeouts in the first 4 minutes if he didn't like how the defense was playing, could almost make it into a drinking game when he would call the quick TO's.

I believe 8 seconds in was the record, but I'm not sure. I don't understand why people got so hung up on this (to this day). That's how he chose to get his point across. Whatever works. It certainly wasn't calling early timeouts that was Deane's downfall. It was a matter of having the wrong players to yell at during those timeouts. I did happen to notice that Crean had a pocket full of timeouts late in the game the other night in game in which his team was defending and rebounding terribly. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 09:14:28 AM »
So this conversation got me curious...Took a look at Deane's team was doing this year and it looks as if they may get the priveledge of being the sacrificial lamb for Memphis, UNC, Kansas, etc. come March.

scooter

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 01:15:26 PM »
I saw the feature - it was a little silly - as was mentioned earlier, a weak attempt at publicity.  They showed a shot of the auto slavage place where they got the seat belt, the SID mentioned he just has to tighten the screws occasionally, they showed them putting the chair on the bus for road games.

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 11:39:55 AM »
Having attended MU during the glorious reign of Bob D, you can take your pick of any number of games for examples of a bad half of basketball.

feedback