[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA recent investigations  (Read 121429 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: NCAA recent investigations
« Reply #400 on: April 30, 2019, 10:42:00 AM »
Mark Phelps has already been fired for other infractions IIRC

That is correct
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #401 on: April 30, 2019, 10:46:21 AM »
Mark Phelps has already been fired for other infractions IIRC

Yeah I forgot about that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #402 on: April 30, 2019, 01:04:26 PM »
What an a$$ to call BS on ESPN for reporting this a year ago. Miller is a jerk for calling a reporter's honesty into question when he knew it was true.

This has been going on forever. Somebody doesn't like the truth, so he/she shoots the messenger.

Good work by the reporter. I hope Miller crashes and burns, and he takes his program down with him.

Nico ... we have scholarships open, baby!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #403 on: May 01, 2019, 02:11:48 PM »
Sean Miller's nightmare keeps getting worse everyday. I'm beginning to think that UA fires him soon and doesn't wait for the NCAA investigation to start. Might be in Miller's best interest to go quickly and quietly to limit the information releases that could tarnish his reputation even more (if that's possible).

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #404 on: May 01, 2019, 02:21:25 PM »
He won't leave quietly with the amount of money still on the table.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #405 on: May 01, 2019, 02:33:34 PM »
Sean Miller's nightmare keeps getting worse everyday. I'm beginning to think that UA fires him soon and doesn't wait for the NCAA investigation to start. Might be in Miller's best interest to go quickly and quietly to limit the information releases that could tarnish his reputation even more (if that's possible).

The problem is...there is ZERO proof..that will be his argument. Just the word of a con man. Now, we here all know better, but Miller could/will make that argument.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #406 on: May 01, 2019, 02:35:22 PM »
The problem is...there is ZERO proof..that will be his argument. Just the word of a con man. Now, we here all know better, but Miller could/will make that argument.

head coach accountability will get him.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #407 on: May 01, 2019, 02:54:16 PM »
Maybe, but there more wire tap recording that could be released and eventually turned over to the NCAA.

Pitino claims to this day that there is no evidence of him being involved in payments to recruits and yet Louisville sent him packing and no other school will touch him.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #408 on: May 01, 2019, 03:03:38 PM »
Well his assistant coach (who had been with Miller for 10+ years) was on tape saying Miller was paying Ayton $10k a month.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #409 on: May 01, 2019, 03:06:38 PM »
Wasn't Mark Phelps an assistant under Miller?

Squirmy.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #410 on: May 01, 2019, 03:37:39 PM »
Well his assistant coach (who had been with Miller for 10+ years) was on tape saying Miller was paying Ayton $10k a month.

From eSPN:

Federal prosecutors on Wednesday played a recording to the jury of a phone call in which former Arizona assistant Emanuel "Book" Richardson told aspiring agent Christian Dawkins that Wildcats coach Sean Miller was paying star center Deandre Ayton $10,000 per month while he was enrolled there.

Prosecutors played the call, which was intercepted by wiretaps on June 20, 2017, to the jury near the end of their case.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #411 on: May 02, 2019, 01:15:33 PM »

Does anyone have tape of Miller? If Miller's voice is nowhere to be heard then it will be difficult to get him without stronger evidence.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #412 on: May 02, 2019, 01:18:53 PM »
Again, Arizona IMO is gathering enough evidence to fire him for cause. He may not be prosecuted like others, but he very likely will be out of a job soon.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #413 on: May 02, 2019, 01:21:41 PM »
Wasn't there something wonky with Miller's contact where he actually is owed more money if he's fired for cause then if he's just fired? I remember hearing that somewhere
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #414 on: May 02, 2019, 01:25:20 PM »
Wasn't there something wonky with Miller's contact where he actually is owed more money if he's fired for cause then if he's just fired? I remember hearing that somewhere

No, if he is fired for cause he loses a TON of money.  His entire "longevity fund," which is currently worth $4 million plus.  This is likely why Arizona is being real careful.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/sean-miller-s-revised-contract-terms-include-threat-of-a/article_2dee0bde-5b01-57bc-ad94-dcf3d5a761a0.html

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #415 on: May 02, 2019, 05:11:28 PM »
Miller didn't do anything illegal by paying Ayton; he won't be prosecuted for that.  Miller can give his money to whomever he wants (however, he's likely liable for gift taxes on that money, unless he can claim that is was "miscellaneous income" for Ayton, in which case Ayton is a tax dodger if he failed to report it).

If what Dawkins/Richardson said is true, then Miller has committed an NCAA violation.  The NCAA should come down hard on Arizona, and Arizona should come down hard on Miller.  This investigation will probably take years and result in the death penalty for Grand Canyon University.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #416 on: May 02, 2019, 05:15:57 PM »
Miller didn't do anything illegal by paying Ayton; he won't be prosecuted for that.  Miller can give his money to whomever he wants

Then why are the feds involved in this at all?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #417 on: May 02, 2019, 09:27:04 PM »
Miller didn't do anything illegal by paying Ayton; he won't be prosecuted for that.  Miller can give his money to whomever he wants (however, he's likely liable for gift taxes on that money, unless he can claim that is was "miscellaneous income" for Ayton, in which case Ayton is a tax dodger if he failed to report it).

If what Dawkins/Richardson said is true, then Miller has committed an NCAA violation.  The NCAA should come down hard on Arizona, and Arizona should come down hard on Miller.  This investigation will probably take years and result in the death penalty for Grand Canyon University.

That's not true according to tax law. You can't just give unlimited gifts to whomever you choose without paying taxes on it. Maybe this isn't current, but at least that's what the IRS says.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-news/at-01-31.pdf
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #418 on: May 03, 2019, 12:29:39 PM »
Since our mascot is the Golden Eagles, shouldn't bird law be the appropriate precedent?
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #419 on: May 03, 2019, 12:49:59 PM »

Tax fraud is a federal crime.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #420 on: May 04, 2019, 07:08:16 AM »

Are you following this story at all? There has been multiple convictions of federal crimes and more to come. The feds don't don't mess around and go fishing for criminals,  their conviction rate is over 90%.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #421 on: May 04, 2019, 07:22:43 AM »
Are you following this story at all? There has been multiple convictions of federal crimes and more to come. The feds don't don't mess around and go fishing for criminals,  their conviction rate is over 90%.

Are you following the thread at all?  I was asking mom why the feds are involved at all if "Miller didn't do anything illegal by paying Ayton."   A question which she never answered.

You are 100% right that the feds don't get involved unless its serious.  That's the point I was making through my question.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #422 on: May 04, 2019, 11:07:52 AM »

Are you following the thread at all?  I was asking mom why the feds are involved at all if "Miller didn't do anything illegal by paying Ayton."   A question which she never answered.

You are 100% right that the feds don't get involved unless its serious.  That's the point I was making through my question.
My apologies. I was wrong. You made a great point.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #423 on: May 04, 2019, 11:08:40 AM »
NCAA has formally notified Arizona it is opening an investigation into the men’s basketball program.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #424 on: May 04, 2019, 02:35:29 PM »
Not good for AZ.  Thanks Cheeks!

feedback