Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Prediction: 2018/19 KenPom Adjusted Efficiency Margins  (Read 8203 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Prediction: 2018/19 KenPom Adjusted Efficiency Margins
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2018, 03:30:35 PM »
Why would Wojo start Markus at PG even starting the season when he went and recruited Joe to be the PG. I can see Markus playing PG if the game is a blowout or some minutes here and there.

Ease Joe in, reward Sacar for his off season improvement, Marcus went to CP PG Camp this summer as that is his career future.  Let's not forget that Sacar was at times put on a tall PG last season as well. Starting against cupcakes versus BE are two different things.  So is the level of playing at high majors.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2018, 03:36:47 PM »
Which begs the question:  Why did Wojo not adjust and go zone all year, since he was intent on playing Andrew and Markus together a lot? 

We were going to be poor on defense regardless of zone or man, but in my view if you are going to play Andrew AND Markus together, zone would have been the lesser of two evils..

Easy answer: this team was more successful in man than it was in zone.

I know I know, if Wojo had just given the zone more run it would have gotten better
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »
Ease Joe in, reward Sacar for his off season improvement, Marcus went to CP PG Camp this summer as that is his career future.  Let's not forget that Sacar was at times put on a tall PG last season as well. Starting against cupcakes versus BE are two different things.  So is the level of playing at high majors.
I understand that part, but he needs to give plenty of minutes to Joe to get him ready for NIT / BE. Markus will take over at PG on cupcake games when we have a large lead it might be his career future but it is about the team. Joe is already D1 ready but as PG needs minutes to get to know team better in game situations.
Goal is National Championship

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »

I'm with you on Sacar, playing the 2 along side Joe for some material minutes. Always thought the 2 was his best position but he was needed elsewhere.  Now with more defensive help, and improvements of his offensive skills over the summer I think there will be a substantial jump in his offensive numbers and more than last year SOTG numbers. 
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2018, 05:03:52 PM »
Markus will play the point when Joe isn't in the game........and sometimes even when they play together.  He will get plenty of chances just like he did with Rowsey.

2 guards who can both initiate offense has worked out well the last 2 years. MU's offense is not point guard dominant.......it will be run through multiple players to take advantage of matchups that are  in our favor.

I'lll be surprised if Joe and Markus aren't the starters to begin the season but I'm not hung up on it. Wojo has used lots of combinations when he has had a options available like in 2016 season.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:41:01 PM by MuMark »

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2018, 05:43:13 PM »
Not about Joe. About lack of Rowsey/Howard.

Howard on, Rowsey off: 0.95 dPPP (472 possessions)
Rowsey on, Howard off: 1.05 dPPP (522 possessions)
Rowsey on, Howard on: 1.17 dPPP (1439 possessions)

KenPom is all about the PPP...and when it was just Howard our's was stellar. Now I don't expect a 0.95 dPPP all season but it shows that our defense can be successful.

Some further context on the Howard on, Rowsey off numbers...

Non-conference: 0.84 dPPP, 36.6% eFG
Big East: 1.06 dPPP, 49.5% eFG (.51 FTR)
KenPom A games: 1.12 dPPP, 50.7% eFG
KenPom B games: 0.88 dPPP, 40.7% eFG
vs Villanova: 1.33 dPPP, 61% eFG
vs everyone besides Villanova: 0.91 dPPP, 41.1% eFG

The four factors have some weird stuff going on to be sure (sample size issues?). Overall, defense with Howard in/Rowsey out was:

43.4 eFG% (obscenely good)
19.0 turnover % (average)
31.9 offensive rebound % (obscenely bad)
42.0 free throw rate (obscenely bad)

eFG rules everything around us, and this gives me hope.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2018, 07:12:03 PM »
Which begs the question:  Why did Wojo not adjust and go zone all year, since he was intent on playing Andrew and Markus together a lot? 

I'm beginning to think you don't watch Marquette basketball. Because no one that saw Markus & Rowsey playing zone together (which did happen last year) could ever possibly think "why didn't we go zone all year with those two?"
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2018, 08:20:08 PM »
Easy answer: this team was more successful in man than it was in zone.

I know I know, if Wojo had just given the zone more run it would have gotten better

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=55735.msg996319#msg996319

feedback