[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Major NCAA Changes: Agents, Returns If Not Drafted  (Read 31161 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: Major NCAA Changes: Agents, Returns If Not Drafted
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2018, 08:13:38 AM »
Mike-

I respect your opinion.  You're standing up athletes that have little power.  I typically favor giving the athletes more than less, too.

But I also view an athletic scholarship as a privilege,  not a right.  I am ok with some conditions on that scholarship.  There are rules in the real world.  I do not view the year in residence rule as a huge injustice.  It's inconvenient for athletes but you are not always going to have your ideal scenario in life.

When it comes to reforms that favor the athletes and give them more power,  doing away with the year in residence rule is way down the list for me.

For any type of relationship both sides have to give a little.  It sure feels like one side wants to blow it all up and have no restrictions at all.

If I am reading what some here want it is as follows (they can correct me and I am sure they will).

Guaranteed 4 year scholarships

Ability to transfer as a free agent, but since no contracts are signed the school can never plan for this unlike pro sports

Should be compensated (in addition to the scholarship, room and board, free travel, open audition each game for their career) in some fashion

Exactly what commitment is the student athlete providing on their side in this deal?   Should they even be required to go to class? 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
Re: Major NCAA Changes: Agents, Returns If Not Drafted
« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2018, 09:30:23 AM »
Mike-

I respect your opinion.  You're standing up for athletes that have little power.  I typically favor giving the athletes more than less, too.

But I also view an athletic scholarship as a privilege,  not a right.  I am ok with some conditions on that scholarship.  There are rules in the real world.  I do not view the year in residence rule as a huge injustice.  It's inconvenient for athletes but you are not always going to have your ideal scenario in life.

When it comes to reforms that favor the athletes and give them more power,  doing away with the year in residence rule is way down the list for me.

While we disagree on this, Lazar, I appreciate your thoughts on this and the way you presented them.

I also appreciate you representing the words I said correctly ... unlike chicos2.

Correct that you said it has been good for every sport, but that doesn’t mean good for everyone or every team in that sport.  That was my point, it hasn’t been universally great.

And yet, c2, you tried to claim that I said it has been "universally great." You needed to falsify my argument on this subject in your desperate attempt to be "right."

I'm guessing the "moving on" you promised to do nearly a week ago will occur any time now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson