[Today at 09:54:20 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hardship Granted to Cheatham  (Read 13300 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Hardship Granted to Cheatham
« on: August 21, 2018, 09:34:20 AM »
Harship waiver granted says story coming soon
https://twitter.com/ndn_dcaldwell/status/1031889714322829312?s=21
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
Re: Hardship Granted to Cheatham
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 09:40:36 AM »
Is it me, or has the NCAA been granting more and more of these type waivers?

I think it's a good trend, though I am suspicious of the organization picking the winners and losers in these situations.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 09:51:03 AM »
Is it me, or has the NCAA been granting more and more of these type waivers?

I think it's a good trend, though I am suspicious of the organization picking the winners and losers in these situations.

Less. It's just bigger news when it happens now because it's rarer. It used to happen all the time and we wouldn't hear about 99% of them because it was more common.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 09:55:09 AM »
Haanif is a very good guy and I am happy for him.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 10:03:35 AM »
Less. It's just bigger news when it happens now because it's rarer. It used to happen all the time and we wouldn't hear about 99% of them because it was more common.

Thanks for the insight.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 11:24:46 AM »
Good for Haanif.  Was a terrible decision for his basketball career if he didn't get it. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 12:34:50 PM »
Glad he got it. Nice kid.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 01:15:40 PM »
www.twitter.com/NDN_DCaldwell

scroll down for the story.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 01:17:56 PM »
So he will have 2 full seasons at FGCU?

Good for him.  He should have to pay back that Maui trip though
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 01:20:45 PM »
So he will have 2 full seasons at FGCU?

Good for him.  He should have to pay back that Maui trip though
Yup, 2 full seasons.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 01:52:10 PM »
www.twitter.com/NDN_DCaldwell

scroll down for the story.

So it looks like a bad illness in the family. That explains his struggle and frustration.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 02:01:08 PM »
So it looks like a bad illness in the family. That explains his struggle and frustration.

Pretty much exactly what Wojo said when he announced the transfer.......but of course conspiracy theories still abounded.......

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 02:04:42 PM »
Pretty much exactly what Wojo said when he announced the transfer.......but of course conspiracy theories still abounded.......

Hey, stop with the facts thing!

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 02:07:06 PM »
Good for him. I hope he excels at FGCU.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 02:43:12 PM »

I still say Haanif was running a child-sex ring out of Comet Ping Pong.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 02:50:50 PM »

Outside of a couple posters speculating, many simply said that they were also hearing things regarding his role.  Regardless there is an illness and he wasn't happy at MU.  Whatever role his minutes may or may not have played is unknown.  And it doesn't really matter.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 03:06:32 PM »

Outside of a couple posters speculating, many simply said that they were also hearing things regarding his role.  Regardless there is an illness and he wasn't happy at MU.  Whatever role his minutes may or may not have played is unknown.  And it doesn't really matter.
Well story says he was happy. Maybe not true but that is what the coach says, talks about driving family to doctor, babysitting family member. They try to make it like he is going to have a very direct role. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 03:51:48 PM »
Good for Haanif.   Doesn't complain about MU at all.  And it appears it was about family.   Good luck, young man.  I still believe his absence cost MU a tourney bid.  And I think he will thrive playing the point in an up tempo system.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:37:20 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 06:01:35 PM »
Good for Haanif.   Doesn't complain about MU at all.  And it appears it was about family.   Good luck, young man.  I still believe his absence cost MU a tourney bid.  And I think he will thrive playing the point in an up tempo system.

Which game game would he have been the game changer? I could maybe see providence for National marquette Day unless you think Georgia is the one that his absence caused us to lose
Maigh Eo for Sam

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 06:35:08 PM »
Which game game would he have been the game changer? I could maybe see providence for National marquette Day unless you think Georgia is the one that his absence caused us to lose
Definitely Georgia for sure from both timing and matchup perspectives.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 07:40:38 PM »
Any game where we wished we had an experienced 6'5 guard who could defend.      Having Haanif all season would have given Wojo options on defense.    Maybe Martin doesn't spend the whole Butler game setting up switches that leave GE guarding him.    Maybe Haanif and Sacar are out there against Villanova, instead of Rowsey trying to stop Bridges and Howard trying to guard DD.  Maybe Haanif has a good game in Chicago when Markus tried to come back too soon.   Maybe Sam doesn't have to get worn out as his hip bothers him more.      So much has been said about how bad our defense was last year.    What difference would a junior 6'5 guard who could could adequately defend have made.      I said when he transferred that my expectations had changed from tourney team to no idea.   

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/269
26 minutes per game during the first 5 games.   8.2  PPG

The counter argument is that his staying would have stunted the development of Cain and GE.    I acknowledge there is validity there.   But, when everyone was screaming to bench Rowsey because of his defense, who would have been more effective, junior Haanif or freshman GE?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 07:48:28 PM »
I think a lot of HC’s minutes went to Sacar, and they were/are similar in many aspects; both sides of the ball.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 08:06:44 PM »
I think a lot of HC’s minutes went to Sacar, and they were/are similar in many aspects; both sides of the ball.
But, that did not help in that GA game.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 09:01:25 PM »

What's your hangup with the Georgia game? Our defense was better than normal vs. them, and only 6'8" senior stud Yante Maten led them with only 13 pts.

The issue in that game was we shot like crap (except for Markus). Other than M2N, we shot 4/19 ** on two-pointers **. That's putrid. Rowsey 1/6 (also had 6 TOs).. Matt Heldt was 0/6!!! His season 2FG% would have been 5% higher had it not been for that game.

Just couldn't buy a bucket. It was last season's low for our eFG%. That was the issue, not HC. Outside of Markus, that's about as bad as our shooting could have been. Don't know why you're trying to tie it into HC.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 09:04:17 PM »
I would've loved to see HC stay here and hate to see a kid put in a situation where he needs to exercise a hardship transfer......but, those game minutes should certainly help this year, and beyond, for Sacar and others.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2018, 09:08:26 PM »
I would've loved to see HC stay here and hate to see a kid put in a situation where he needs to exercise a hardship transfer......but, those game minutes should certainly help this year, and beyond, for Sacar and others.

Yeah I don't think he was a big loss.  Wish him well though.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2018, 09:08:39 PM »
What's your hangup with the Georgia game? Our defense was better than normal vs. them, and only 6'8" senior stud Yante Maten led them with only 13 pts.

The issue in that game was we shot like crap (except for Markus). Other than M2N, we shot 4/19 ** on two-pointers **. That's putrid. Rowsey 1/6 (also had 6 TOs).. Matt Heldt was 0/6!!! His season 2FG% would have been 5% higher had it not been for that game.

Just couldn't buy a bucket. It was last season's low for our eFG%. That was the issue, not HC. Outside of Markus, that's about as bad as our shooting could have been. Don't know why you're trying to tie it into HC.
Were you there?  Whatever the stats, we were over matched physically on the perimeter.  That was simply a humongous game to lose at home.  Back to Haani, we simply were not ready for that game with his departure.   The eye test for that game  simply showed what you are telling us in the historical stats.  Many of us saw it unfolding before our eyes stat man.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2018, 09:11:20 PM »
Were you there?  Whatever the stats, we were over matched physically on the perimeter.  That was simply a humongous game to lose at home.  Back to Haani, we simply were not ready for that game with his departure.   The eye test for that game  simply showed what you are telling us in the historical stats.  Many of us saw it unfolding before our eyes stat man.

lol, ok bud.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2018, 09:15:51 PM »
lol, ok bud.
same to you bud.  Do you get to the games?  There are reasons why the stats end up where they do.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:17:52 PM by Nukem2 »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2018, 09:22:04 PM »
same to you bud.  Do you get to the games?

Are you asserting that a person can't understand Marquette basketball unless they physically attend a lot of home games? I've probably missed viewing an average of 0.5 games per season for the last several years...

Not that it counts for anything with you - Mr. Be At Home Games Or You Don't Know Jack! - but I did view HC numerous times in various states while he was in high school, including when I drove over to his tournament while I was in Florida for.... Marquette's tournament. Were you there as well? Speaking of Sacar, watched him many times in person in multiple states, on different teams (e.g., HS, travel). How about you?

MU lost the Georgia game because they shot like absolute crap. They did not lose because of HC. Even those who saw it while physically attending the game know that. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2018, 09:31:59 PM »

Yeah I don't think he was a big loss.  Wish him well though.

+1

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2018, 09:32:55 PM »
Just remember, Nukem has a history of asserting that his eye test....excuse me....how he *remembers* his eye test, trumps all stats.

I watched the game.  It was MU's worst shooting game of the year.  But UGA apparently "overmatched" MU on the perimeter by shooting 28% from 3 and 48% from 2.  Uh...OK.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 09:35:35 PM »
Just remember, Nukem has a history of asserting that his eye test....excuse me....how he *remembers* his eye test, trumps all stats.

I watched the game.  It was MU's worst shooting game of the year.  But UGA apparently "overmatched" MU on the perimeter by shooting 28% from 3 and 48% from 2.  Uh...OK.
Sorry, MU was out physicalled on the perimeter in that game.  Really struggled to get good looks.  The stats just show that.  Were you there?  TV does not give one that aspect.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2018, 09:36:35 PM »
I was at the game. Here is my recollection

Markus got into foul trouble and we really struggled to score without him.on the floor.
Rowsey was horrible.
We were physically  over matched by a bigger stronger Georgia team that played very good defense all year. The overmatched part was not just on the perimeter. They were stronger and tougher 1-5.

It was one of the ugliest games of the year with bad turnovers and missed shots.

With all that said I was amazed that we were still within 3 or 4 points with a minute or so left.

Ps I personally don't think Cheatham would have made the difference but we will obviously never know.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:40:21 PM by MuMark »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2018, 09:43:05 PM »
I was at the game.  I don't remember much of anything.   :o

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2018, 09:49:43 PM »
I was at the game. Here is my recollection

Markus got into foul trouble and we really struggled to score without him.on the floor.
Rowsey was horrible.
We were physically  over matched by a bigger stronger Georgia team that played very good defense all year. The overmatched part was not just on the perimeter. They were stronger and tougher 1-5.

It was one of the ugliest games of the year with bad turnovers and missed shots.

With all that said I was amazed that we were still within 3 or 4 points with a minute or so left.

Ps I personally don't think Cheatham would have made the difference but we will obviously never know.
Not just Cheatham, it was the whole lack of rythym to the back court in that game.  It was a learning experience with, unfortunately, a loss.  Haani, though, certainly would have brought length and size on the perimeter.  But, we will never know what might have been.  One does have to wonder, though.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2018, 09:52:24 PM »
Let's say we beat Georgia if Haani plays instead of Anim.

OK, I'm on board. Sure. Now ...

If Haani plays instead of Anim, we lose at Creighton.

Hell, maybe if Haani plays all season, we lose 5 more games than we did for all kinds of reasons, including that he couldn't totally focus on basketball.

I know throwing out dopey hypotheticals is what we do - I'm guilty sometimes, too - but the "we would have won this game or that game if only we had Haani" argument ... please.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2018, 10:24:56 PM »
The eye test for that game  simply showed what you are telling us in the historical stats.  Many of us saw it unfolding before our eyes stat man.

The more you try to defend your eye test, the more it seems you really need a new glasses prescription.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 12:54:09 AM »
Haani, for whatever reasons, had a Value Add of 0.04 when he left. Harry was better at 0.17. Magic Dawson was 0.32 his freshman year. It was quite clear in Maui that Sacar and the frosh were going to get more of his minutes from that time on.

Best of luck to him and I hope he took his time away from the game to get things on the right track for himself.

http://valueaddbasketball.com/ballall.html

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2018, 07:48:42 AM »
Sorry, MU was out physicalled on the perimeter in that game.  Really struggled to get good looks.  The stats just show that.  Were you there?  TV does not give one that aspect.

LOL STFU with that.  TV gives you plenty.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2018, 07:52:28 AM »
LOL STFU with that.  TV gives you plenty.
You need to resort to foul language?   Sad.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 07:59:49 AM »
You need to resort to foul language?   Sad.

Yeah.  It emphasizes the lameness of your point. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2018, 08:05:28 AM »

Yeah.  It emphasizes the lameness of your point.
Its easier to gauge the physicality of a game in person.  You are missing the point.  Have a great day. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2018, 08:06:03 AM »
Its easier to gauge the physicality of a game in person.  You are missing the point.  Have a great day. 

Not really.  But keep dying on your dumb hill.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2018, 08:25:36 AM »

Not really.  But keep dying on your dumb hill.
Hmm..it really is difficult for you to discuss things without posturing and making demeaning comments.  In any event, MU did miss Haani in that GA game.  The GA guards were nothing special, but they imposed their physicality on the smallish MU guards.  I watched a replay of that game and that was not as obvious on the screen as it was in person.  Have a great day. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2018, 08:35:33 AM »
Hmm..it really is difficult for you to discuss things without posturing and making demeaning comments.

It's not difficult.  I oftentimes prefer to do so however.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2018, 08:40:13 AM »
The counter argument is that his staying would have stunted the development of Cain and GE.    I acknowledge there is validity there.   But, when everyone was screaming to bench Rowsey because of his defense, who would have been more effective, junior Haanif or freshman GE?

In an attempt to prevent this thread from getting locked, I'm going to come back to this.  All three Freshman made tremendous strides through the season, and I think getting them to take the next step is being undervalued when considering the potential success of next years team.  For the most part, we know what we're going to get out of JC, M2N, Sam, Ed, and Matt (IMO the starting 5), but if any of the Freshman or Sophomores can take a significant jump we will be in much better shape IMO.

Comparing HC freshman campaign to Greg, Jamal, and Theo, Haanif had the best one, and after one year I thought he would have the biggest impact out of anyone in his class, but he couldn't take the next step and evolve as a Sophomore, and once teams figured out that he could only go left, his impact dropped significantly.  Seeing the way the Greg, Jamal, and Theo improved during the season gives me hope that they can keep their momentum and not run into the Sophomore wall that so many players do.  If they can continue to develop at the same pace they did during the season last year (which is in part due to the extra minutes they got from HC leaving), they will be in position to be high impact players by the time they are upperclassmen.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2018, 08:49:22 AM »
It's not difficult.  I oftentimes prefer to do so however.
There ya go...  ::)

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2018, 08:58:49 AM »
Haanif not being there didn't make Markus pick up two quick fouls in 90 seconds. Also, doubt he helps much in the outside shooting department.

I can see an argument for losing a veteran contributor right before throwing off the chemistry a bit, but that's impossible to prove.

Ultimately, his departure gave Greg and Jamal an opportunity, and that's a net positive IMO.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2018, 09:03:25 AM »
Haanif not being there didn't make Markus pick up two quick fouls in 90 seconds. Also, doubt he helps much in the outside shooting department.

I can see an argument for losing a veteran contributor right before throwing off the chemistry a bit, but that's impossible to prove.

Ultimately, his departure gave Greg and Jamal an opportunity, and that's a net positive IMO.
True, the frosh received a great opportunity. and that helped their development.  Though, Haani was missed in certain games like GA.  Maybe it can’t be proved, but doubt that it would have hurt.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2018, 09:16:32 AM »
True, the frosh received a great opportunity. and that helped their development.  Though, Haani was missed in certain games like GA.  Maybe it can’t be proved, but doubt that it would have hurt.

Feet must be aching with all that goalpost shifting.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2018, 09:26:26 AM »
Feet must be aching with all that goalpost shifting.
??   I’ve been very consistent on Haani.  We did miss him.  Though it did give the frosh more opportunities.  No shifting here.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:28:47 AM by Nukem2 »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2018, 09:43:15 AM »
Comparing HC freshman campaign to Greg, Jamal, and Theo, Haanif had the best one, and after one year I thought he would have the biggest impact out of anyone in his clas do.

I mean.. Haani played more and was more involved in the offense (which was a bad offense, driven partly by turnovers). Did he have 'the best freshman campaign'?

ORtg: 101.1 vs 116.0; Usage: 20.4% vs. 13.4%; eFG%: 54.3% vs. 55.6%; OR%: 1.6% vs. 4.5%; DR: 10.8% vs. 11.3%; TO%: 24.4% vs. 19.9%; blk% 0.1% vs. 4.0%; stl%: 1.9% vs. 2.7%

Those are numbers from the respective freshmen years of Haani (first) and Greg (second). I'd lean toward Greg just based on the data above, HOWEVER, when you look at only conference games or only against better competition (defining here as KenPom Tier A+B), the results are clearly that Greg was better.. not even close.

The facts are that Haani feasted on bad competition and struggled against good teams.

Disclaimer: The in-person eye test was only utilized for a few games.

btw, Nukem's "were you there? were you there??!?!" crap is so dumb. In some sports, such as football, it's a little more relevant... if a basketball game is televised, you see so much movement of guys without the ball... mostly just missing the after-the-whistle stuff... the truth is for college basketball I often get more out of watching on TV than being at the game - much easier to analyze and get a good view.

Newest meme tourney entry: EYE TEST

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2018, 10:02:37 AM »
I mean.. Haani played more and was more involved in the offense (which was a bad offense, driven partly by turnovers). Did he have 'the best freshman campaign'?

ORtg: 101.1 vs 116.0; Usage: 20.4% vs. 13.4%; eFG%: 54.3% vs. 55.6%; OR%: 1.6% vs. 4.5%; DR: 10.8% vs. 11.3%; TO%: 24.4% vs. 19.9%; blk% 0.1% vs. 4.0%; stl%: 1.9% vs. 2.7%

You definitely know more about advanced stats than me, so I'm sure you're right, but I was just looking at the game log.  Greg's career high in scoring is 13 and he didn't get that until conference play, in fact he didn't score more than 7 points in non conference.  Haani's career high was 24, and he broke the 20 point barrier 3 other times (3 of 4 20+ point games also came in conference).  Haani also had significantly fewer goose eggs and 2 point games (Greg had 21 games where he scored 4 or fewer points, compared to 4 for Haani).  Now a lot of that can be attributed to the fact that Haani shot more, because he was on a worse team.

In terms of Nukems scientifically proven eye test, scoring is a lot more important than a high eFG%.  Regardless, both had good Freshman campaigns, and Gregs improvement during the season supports my optimism that he is less likely to hit the "Sophomore Wall". 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2018, 10:04:38 AM »
btw, Nukem's "were you there? were you there??!?!" crap is so dumb. In some sports, such as football, it's a little more relevant... if a basketball game is televised, you see so much movement of guys without the ball... mostly just missing the after-the-whistle stuff... the truth is for college basketball I often get more out of watching on TV than being at the game - much easier to analyze and get a good view.

Oh, TV certainly has its many benefits, especially with replays and clarifications that announcers get from the refs that the fans in the stand don't get.  Off the ball stuff is harder to catch on TV in process.  To be fair, I was speaking in context of the GA game within this thread particularly as to physicality of their guards on and off the ball. Haanif could have made a big difference in that game, particularly on defense, due to his size and length against the rather mediocre (though physical) GA guards.  In any event, wish Haanif well and glad that he got the waiver.  Is it November yet"  Lets Go Warriors.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2018, 10:52:02 AM »

Those are numbers from the respective freshmen years of Haani (first) and Greg (second). I'd lean toward Greg just based on the data above, HOWEVER, when you look at only conference games or only against better competition (defining here as KenPom Tier A+B), the results are clearly that Greg was better.. not even close.

The facts are that Haani feasted on bad competition and struggled against good teams.

+1000. Haanif played lots of minutes as a freshman (too many IMHO) but wasn't very good. He fits at FGCU's level, not the Big East's.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2018, 11:03:46 AM »
+1000. Haanif played lots of minutes as a freshman (too many IMHO) but wasn't very good. He fits at FGCU's level, not the Big East's.

Disagree.  Yes, his advanced numbers aren't as good as Elliotts are, but he was still a top 100 recruit, playing out of position, that averaged almost 12 points a game on a 20 win team in the Big East.  Looking past his Freshman year, you can say that his drop off is extremely disappointing, but just looking at his Freshman year (which is what the comparison is), a lot of people were very excited about his future at MU.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=50982.0
A lot of excitement for Hanni here.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2018, 11:44:46 AM »
Glad he will get to play from the get-go. I wish nothing but the best for him and health for his family.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2018, 06:57:27 PM »
I am rooting for Haani to do well for his new team.

But I admit I'll be a little ticked off if he shows up there with the ability to drive right and finish right-handed!

Many of us assumed he would at least make some strides toward doing that as a soph, but he never really got a right hand and actually regressed going his natural way, missing lots of layups. Ugh.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2018, 07:24:33 PM »
Nothin' bedder on a Wednesday nite in August wen the Pontiff and the Quon Grump clash keyboards, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2018, 08:55:22 PM »
Nothin' bedder on a Wednesday nite in August wen the Pontiff and the Quon Grump clash keyboards, aina?
https://twitter.com/itsgabrielleu/status/1031954696833912833
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2018, 02:26:42 PM »

The NCAA went away from them for the past few years but now relaxed the standards to what they were pre 2014.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback