[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Terrence Shannon Decommits from DePaul  (Read 12538 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: Terrence Shannon Decommits from DePaul
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 02:00:10 PM »
For the record, I'm not sticking up for JLP.

It's just that my knee-jerk reaction to an athlete de-committing wasn't to blame her.

I allow that I could be wrong and she is to blame for everything. I have enough of a challenge following MU; I certainly don't follow DePaul.

I understand your position and I agree this was not her fault,   But the Buck should stop at her door for the environment that is existing.

By the way I think you're in the group of the Most Fair Minded, Objective Posters on this board.  Thanks
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 02:00:32 PM »
God that team was so good. To this day, Q is still the best high school player I've ever seen. Better than Jabari and Rose. Brunson coming in second.

DePaul really failed to capitalize on that recruitment and Wilson Chandler, and that's when they really went into their spiral.

Q isn't the best high school baller I've ever seen - I saw LeBron, Garnett, Kobe, Isiah and a few other pretty good players when they were in HS - but yes, he was damn good.

Pat Kennedy was dirtier than Bruce Pearl ever dreamed of being. His "business model" couldn't last, and it didn't.

DePaul was really hurt when Ronnie Fields couldn't make the grade, Eddy Curry went pro, etc.

I don't know all it would take to get DePaul basketball really going again -- as I said, I'm not close enough to the situation any more. I guess it would have to start with a dynamic young coach who could recruit like hell. What's happened there certainly is a shame.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »
I understand your position and I agree this was not her fault,   But the Buck should stop at her door for the environment that is existing.

By the way I think you're in the group of the Most Fair Minded, Objective Posters on this board.  Thanks

Very kind of you to say, LC. We're more than cool.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2018, 02:09:25 PM »
#4to5yearstojudge

Do they have to be continuous?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 02:11:40 PM »
Do they have to be continuous?

Made me laugh!

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 02:32:05 PM »

At a certain point, shouldn't people move on from blaming JLP though? I mean, if her performance so far hasn't gotten her fired, don't we need to start considering the possibility that her superiors are ok with her performance? And that our ire should be directed upwards?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2018, 02:38:02 PM »
At a certain point, shouldn't people move on from blaming JLP though? I mean, if her performance so far hasn't gotten her fired, don't we need to start considering the possibility that her superiors are ok with her performance? And that our ire should be directed upwards?

Yes.  Their BOT seems to have no problem with her.  Which means they are the actual problem.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2018, 02:51:50 PM »

I don't have any " ire" to direct elseware. I'm perfectly fine with Depaul sucking for many years to come.

Big East doesn't need every program to be strong.....plenty of tough competition as it stands now.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2018, 03:05:32 PM »
I'm not a fan of the 5 year thinking.  I'm in the camp of each case based on it's circumstance, not a blanket rule of 5 and out reflex.  I think some schools have missed opportunities to keep people due to rigid  policies.

Ha me neither

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 04:21:04 PM »
I don't have any " ire" to direct elseware. I'm perfectly fine with Depaul sucking for many years to come.

Big East doesn't need every program to be strong.....plenty of tough competition as it stands now.

You know, this is very true.

Big Ten was a great basketball league for decades even though Northwestern sucked just about every season of those decades. Somebody has to finish in the basement every year!

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 04:27:38 PM »

Absolutely Agree.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 09:06:05 PM »

Yes.  Their BOT seems to have no problem with her.  Which means they are the actual problem.

Isn’t she having relations with (or related to) someone on the board?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2018, 08:40:29 AM »
We all have our identities and I think DePaul chooses to identify as the largest Catholic grad school in the country.  They have a number of satellite campuses all over Chicagoland.  I just question how much winning is a priority.  Now the Wintrust Center is a great argument against my point.  But have they doubled down, invested in on campus practice facilities, bigger recruiting budgets etc?  All those things are just as important.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2018, 08:48:54 AM »
We all have our identities and I think DePaul chooses to identify as the largest Catholic grad school in the country.  They have a number of satellite campuses all over Chicagoland.  I just question how much winning is a priority.  Now the Wintrust Center is a great argument against my point.  But have they doubled down, invested in on campus practice facilities, bigger recruiting budgets etc?  All those things are just as important.

There is no reason they can't do both.  It could be argued that a winning basketball team can help the overall profile of the University. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2018, 10:11:12 AM »
I think they need to take the approach of scheduling mostly cupcakes in the non conference . At this point winning is more important than RPI. Gives the fan base something to rally behind. DePaul hit bottom and is in a slow growth toward mediocrity now.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »
I think they need to take the approach of scheduling mostly cupcakes in the non conference . At this point winning is more important than RPI. Gives the fan base something to rally behind. DePaul hit bottom and is in a slow growth toward mediocrity now.

I actually agree with this. If they got a season like the one we had behind Henry I think it'd be huge to get some people talking over there. Heck that and a lucky first few games in BE play could notch them a few top 25 votes (from idiot AP voters)
Maigh Eo for Sam

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2018, 11:40:51 AM »
While many would like to see DePaul languish at the bottom of the Big East, I believe DePaul to be an important component to the long-term growth and success of the Big East.  While they have provided absolutely zero value to the conference since we joined with them, Cincinnati, Louisville and USF in 2005, the fact is that they are located in the 2nd best market in the conference, are in an absolute hot-bed for recruiting purposes, and have the potential to develop competitive rivalries with us, Creighton, Butler and Xavier.  Them being repeatedly down in a conference whose main objective is elite men's basketball does our conference little good.  If DePaul and St. John's (New York) were to occasionally compete for top-spots in the conference, it would immensely help our marketability and viewership in two top markets. 

The sad reality is that DePaul has, by all intensive purposes, grown content with their position with men's basketball and/or a dramatic shakeup within the athletics department is impossible due to political reasons.  The school got Wintrust green-lit based on the promise that they would be delivering 8,500 fans per night.  Not only was that not going to happen, but - when it became clear it was not happening - they chose to still protect their school and athletics leadership, only to attack those that question or criticize the decisions being made.  For those unaware, I urge you to read/follow the DePaulia; their student journalists actively report and question decisions being made within the athletics department - despite push back from the school - and have been picked up by Chicago newspapers/reporters. 

What is most fascinating moving forward is Loyola.  They have captured the attention and focus of the city, are coming off a Final Four run, and have a great coach leading their program moving forward.  If they can turn into what Wichita State and Creighton did in the MVC before them, the Big East would certainly be wise to consider them as an eventual addition (especially if Loyola get can get some games are larger venues - Allstate???).  If Loyola's success doesn't turn up the pressure within or at DePaul, then nothing will.  They have failed again and again for the past 15 years, and still have yet to make an NCAA tournament while in the Big East.  The fact the get tournament revenue from (now) nine other teams annually is theft.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 11:46:57 AM »
The sad reality is that DePaul has, by all intensive purposes, grown content with their position with men's basketball and/or a dramatic shakeup within the athletics department is impossible due to political reasons.

#IntensivePurposes
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2018, 01:52:17 PM »
While many would like to see DePaul languish at the bottom of the Big East, I believe DePaul to be an important component to the long-term growth and success of the Big East.  While they have provided absolutely zero value to the conference since we joined with them, Cincinnati, Louisville and USF in 2005, the fact is that they are located in the 2nd best market in the conference, are in an absolute hot-bed for recruiting purposes, and have the potential to develop competitive rivalries with us, Creighton, Butler and Xavier.  Them being repeatedly down in a conference whose main objective is elite men's basketball does our conference little good.  If DePaul and St. John's (New York) were to occasionally compete for top-spots in the conference, it would immensely help our marketability and viewership in two top markets. 

The sad reality is that DePaul has, by all intensive purposes, grown content with their position with men's basketball and/or a dramatic shakeup within the athletics department is impossible due to political reasons.  The school got Wintrust green-lit based on the promise that they would be delivering 8,500 fans per night.  Not only was that not going to happen, but - when it became clear it was not happening - they chose to still protect their school and athletics leadership, only to attack those that question or criticize the decisions being made.  For those unaware, I urge you to read/follow the DePaulia; their student journalists actively report and question decisions being made within the athletics department - despite push back from the school - and have been picked up by Chicago newspapers/reporters. 

What is most fascinating moving forward is Loyola.  They have captured the attention and focus of the city, are coming off a Final Four run, and have a great coach leading their program moving forward.  If they can turn into what Wichita State and Creighton did in the MVC before them, the Big East would certainly be wise to consider them as an eventual addition (especially if Loyola get can get some games are larger venues - Allstate???).  If Loyola's success doesn't turn up the pressure within or at DePaul, then nothing will.  They have failed again and again for the past 15 years, and still have yet to make an NCAA tournament while in the Big East.  The fact the get tournament revenue from (now) nine other teams annually is theft.

I would shocked if Loyola ever gets an invite unless Depaul goes bankrupt on the wintrust and sells its share to Loyola. Their arena is still extremely small, they don't have much history, three solid runs in their entire history doesn't exactly say Home run addition. In fact I would be shocked if their basketball success actually started to impact the Depaul admins at all till corporate contracts, charities and general Chicagoland admissions started to skyrocket due to Loyola basketball which wont happen unless they show real staying power.
Maigh Eo for Sam

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 02:11:20 PM »
DePaul is an odd place. While it is the largest Catholic University in the nation, there’s also an element that still harkens back (maybe still wants to be) the little school under the el from Coach Ray’s old days. It is a significant reason why some elements are so entrenched and things are so political.

That said, the university is at an interesting point in its history and is really feeling market pressures, perhaps more than it ever has. Simply being content with the status of disaster that is the men’s program may no longer be an option.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2018, 02:12:54 PM »
We've probably talked more about the state of DePaul basketball in this thread than DePaul fans have over the past 5 years.

Side Note: While DePaul can't afford to lose any recruits at this point I don't think Shannon would have been a program changer.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2018, 06:24:01 PM »
I believe the phrase you were intending to use is "for all intents and purposes".

You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2018, 06:36:55 PM »
I believe the phrase you were intending to use is "for all intents and purposes".
Its the spell check or predictive whatever it is thing.  I’ve had that happen a couple times with that phrase.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2018, 07:32:32 PM »

I thought it was all intensive purposes until grad school
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2018, 07:36:39 PM »
Eye pledge a legions two da flag of da United States of America for Richard Stands, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"