[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kansas it is (NIT)  (Read 15302 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Kansas it is (NIT)
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 05:18:15 PM »
They are. I just think it's more likely they go from outside the NIT to bubble rather than outside the NIT to safely in or top-25 as some pundits are saying.
Yeah, don’t know that they are safely in.  Though they should probably be a  First Four team at least.  They did look good down the stretch and in the conference tourney this past season.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 05:24:48 PM »
I think they are setting up a Kansas-Louisville Final. UL turns the needle!
Does UL turn the needle, or does UL with Pitino coaching  turn the needle? Time will tell.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 06:51:27 PM »
Yeah, don’t know that they are safely in.  Though they should probably be a  First Four team at least.  They did look good down the stretch and in the conference tourney this past season.

Screw F%cky, especially Floppy McFlopperson.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 10:12:16 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised if KU had it written in their contract something along the lines of “if KU projected in top 10, then first round matchup will be against next highest projected team.”  In other words, it’s an RPI play to ensure that they get the best RPI bump they can from the tournament, results notwithstanding.

It’s the reason UNC never plays Chaminade in Maui. They don’t want the win, they want the RPI.
I suspect that Kansas is not worried about their RPI.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2018, 06:32:05 AM »
Well done - this is a no-lose situation. Chance for a top-10 program history win and a boost to the RPI no matter what.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2018, 03:08:43 PM »
What is a t ranking?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2018, 03:25:42 PM »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2018, 12:06:37 PM »
I suspect that Kansas is not worried about their RPI.

Probably not... especially since most don't start to worry about RPI until early March.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2018, 12:44:05 PM »
Does UL turn the needle, or does UL with Pitino coaching  turn the needle? Time will tell.
I would say Louisville. The needle was turning with Denny Crum as coach. I think Chris Mack will win at UL. Strong local base as they are the only show in town.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2018, 12:59:44 PM »
I would say Louisville. The needle was turning with Denny Crum as coach. I think Chris Mack will win at UL. Strong local base as they are the only show in town.
Yes, Louisville fans do travel welll and Mack will do well.  Just not this upcoming season, though.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2018, 01:09:15 PM »
A lot of great opportunities this season...

Just win, baby!!!

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2018, 02:54:09 PM »
Some folks had talked earlier about how our non-con is kinda weak because the cupcakes are too cupcakey. Does this change that outlook? Is non-con schedule going to possibly hold us back like it did a couple years ago?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2018, 03:16:01 PM »
Some folks had talked earlier about how our non-con is kinda weak because the cupcakes are too cupcakey. Does this change that outlook? Is non-con schedule going to possibly hold us back like it did a couple years ago?

There is a worst case scenario where we go 2-4 or worse against the 6 big time opponents and because of the cupcakes we have to do some major work in conference to make the tournament. I don't think it will come to that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2018, 03:56:56 PM »

Just add some context.......according to Pomeroy our non conference schedule the year you are talking about( Henry's only season) was ranked 342. RPI had it at 326. We won 20 games that season and still had an RPI of 113. We only played 2 top 50 RPI teams and 2 others in the top 100(barely....LSU was 95 and Belmont was 97) that season.

There is no version of this years schedule as being in that universe.

Our schedule is fine assuming we win our share of games.......which is all you can ask.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2018, 04:35:18 PM »
Just add some context.......according to Pomeroy our non conference schedule the year you are talking about( Henry's only season) was ranked 342. RPI had it at 326. We won 20 games that season and still had an RPI of 113. We only played 2 top 50 RPI teams and 2 others in the top 100(barely....LSU was 95 and Belmont was 97) that season.

There is no version of this years schedule as being in that universe.

Our schedule is fine assuming we win our share of games.......which is all you can ask.

This.

Consider that how much frosting a cupcake has on it does not change the fact that it's still a cupcake.  So much attention is paid to the overall non-conference schedule strength that we tend to overlook the individual opportunities.  For example.... consider the following scenario.

Team A's non-con opponents included two Quadrant I games, three QII, two QIII and ten QIV. 
Team B's non-con opponents included zero QI, three QII, twelve QIII and three QIV.

Overall, Teams A and B may have a very similar non-con SOS, but the individual matchups tell a completely different story.  Sure, Team A got fat on ten (QIV) cupcakes, but they also have an opportunity for five quality wins, two of which could solidify a resume.  Although Team B played less than a third of the cupcakes as Team A, they only had an opportunity for three quality wins, none of which would be considered signature or elite in front of the committee.

In other words, don't judge a buffet by the dessert bar... look at the marbling in the prime rib before grabbing a plate.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2018, 05:28:48 PM »

As suspected, ESPN trying to set up the KU-Tenn final.
Little do they know...

I wouldn’t be surprised if KU had it written in their contract something along the lines of “if KU projected in top 10, then first round matchup will be against next highest projected team.”  In other words, it’s an RPI play to ensure that they get the best RPI bump they can from the tournament, results notwithstanding.

It’s the reason UNC never plays Chaminade in Maui. They don’t want the win, they want the RPI.

Really? UNC never plays Chaminade in Maui? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Maui_Invitational_Tournament
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Maui_Invitational_Tournament

More to the point, I don't get this thinking that there's some scheming by ether Kansas or ESPN to set up a Kansas/Tennessee final. 

By all accounts, the're the two highest ranked teams.  So it's only natural that they would not face each other in the first round.

If ESPN truly thought a profit maximizing matchup was Kansas and Tennessee, they would have tried to make that a first round game--because that's the only way to guarantee that game happens.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2018, 07:47:34 PM »
Non-conference schedule is fine if we can go 10-3 or better, which means we got at least two quality wins.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2018, 09:45:49 PM »
Non-conference schedule is fine if we can go 10-3 or better, which means we got at least two quality wins.

So 13-0 would be kinda good, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2018, 09:58:06 PM »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2018, 11:43:26 PM »

I think people might be underestimating some of our cupcakes. Especially Presbyterian.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2018, 09:47:15 AM »
I think people might be underestimating some of our cupcakes. Especially Presbyterian.

To be fair, Presbyterian is easy to underestimate.

I am guessing they won't have another freshman year Desean Murray.  That dude was a beast against us a few years back.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2018, 10:28:01 AM »

Especially coming off an 11-21 season while losing its top two scorers (one of which was the PG).

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2018, 10:33:01 AM »
So 13-0 would be kinda good, right?
Your so wrong.
It would be superb.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2018, 12:51:31 PM »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2018, 01:59:50 PM »

I am guessing they won't have another freshman year Desean Murray.  That dude was a beast against us a few years back.

I know people think "ehh, they just filled a date with Presbyterian." I disagree. I think for a late add, that was a home run and this will be the best D1 team Presbyterian has ever fielded. Granted, that's not the highest of bars, but I think top-250 is highly likely and top-200 very possible.

feedback