[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Herro  (Read 4762 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Herro
« on: August 08, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »
Sorry, didn't know where to put this.  But Kentucky is playing the Bahama National Team right now and Herro hasn't been off the court since I turned the game on (SEC Network).  He was on the court from about 6 minutes left in the first half with what I assume is most of their starters (Travis, Hagans, Quickely, and Washington).  From what I saw, he was 2-2 from the free throw line, 2-3 from the field, and 0-1 from 3 point range (ugly miss) with a rebound and solid defense.  Kentucky was running out of bounds plays for him and all 3 commentators were talking about how he's a heck of a player, playing with confidence, etc.

Many here thought he was going to ride the bench for a year, get recruited over, and transfer elsewhere at UK.  I thought he'd see plenty of time as a corner shooter, as UK never has shooting and he can light it up from the perimeter.  I think I underestimated him, they were getting him the ball in pick and rolls and he was creating shots for himself off the dribble.

https://twitter.com/rex_rexchapman

Rex Champan can't stop Tweeting about him, and a lot of national media guys are Tweeting about him.

He's going to play quite a bit this year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Herro
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:07:40 PM »
Fo, count mee as won woo taught Wojo completely whiffed on Tyler. Dude kan ball four a honky, aina?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 07:29:13 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 07:18:35 PM »
Sorry, didn't know where to put this.

Kentucky message board.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 08:10:23 PM »
Fo, count mee as won woo taught Wojo completely whiffed on Tyler. Dude kan ball four a honky, aina?

You wanted Wojo to waste his time like Gard did?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 08:35:25 PM »
You wanted Wojo to waste his time like Gard did?

I honestly don't remember - did he originally verbal to UW and then decommit?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 09:18:18 PM »
I honestly don't remember - did he originally verbal to UW and then decommit?

Correct.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 10:07:26 PM »

Yeah he's a player.  2nd highest scorer for UK today with 16.

But Wojo had the full court press on for Herro until it became clear he was a strong UW lean.  And then after he decommitted I think it was pretty clear he was thinking blue blood and moved very quickly from decommitting to committing to UK.  While there may have been someone that reached out to MU and said, "Hey Herro is reopening his recruitment and would be willing to hear your pitch," I'm not sure MU ever had a real shot to get him after he committed to UW, and before that Wojo definitely was after him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 11:20:16 PM »
Good for Herro.

Otherwise ...

Go Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 11:24:23 PM »

Rex Champan can't stop Tweeting about him, and a lot of national media guys are Tweeting about him.

Rex Chapman, a blast from the past.  Didn't he get in a lot of trouble last few years? Stolen property or something?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 12:00:28 AM »
Yeah he's a player.  2nd highest scorer for UK today with 16.

But Wojo had the full court press on for Herro until it became clear he was a strong UW lean.  And then after he decommitted I think it was pretty clear he was thinking blue blood and moved very quickly from decommitting to committing to UK.  While there may have been someone that reached out to MU and said, "Hey Herro is reopening his recruitment and would be willing to hear your pitch," I'm not sure MU ever had a real shot to get him after he committed to UW, and before that Wojo definitely was after him.

Not sure this is true.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 04:46:01 PM »
Not sure this is true.

Yeah, I read (on Scoop, I think) that we didn't want Herro because Joey Hauser didn't want to play with him. Also read (again on Scoop) that he was waaaay overrated.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 05:22:20 PM »
Gotta be careful when evaluating players in summer overseas trips.  I can remember a couple of Wisconsin schools who looked dominant on their overseas trips and came back to have pretty tough seasons.  Remember that they are playing the Bahamian National  Team.  Sure, they won the 2014 CBC championship, but I'm not sure being the top team among Caribbean countries is much to write home about...
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 06:23:11 PM »
  i heard from someone that cal walked into whitnall gym during a practice and basically said, i want you on my team.  any of yous guyses ever say no to nina agdal? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 08:31:13 PM »
Gotta be careful when evaluating players in summer overseas trips.  I can remember a couple of Wisconsin schools who looked dominant on their overseas trips and came back to have pretty tough seasons.  Remember that they are playing the Bahamian National  Team.  Sure, they won the 2014 CBC championship, but I'm not sure being the top team among Caribbean countries is much to write home about...

Didn't Traci Carter have a fantastic European trip?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 10:04:38 PM »
Didn't Traci Carter have a fantastic European trip?

Thomas Bilde sure is as hell thought so.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 07:46:52 AM »
Yeah, I read (on Scoop, I think) that we didn't want Herro because Joey Hauser didn't want to play with him. Also read (again on Scoop) that he was waaaay overrated.

To be fair, I have heard the first item multiple times.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 07:51:46 AM »
Grate, da Hausers kan invite Wojo over two der crib four Xmas dinner after he gets chitkanned, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 09:55:34 AM »
Grate, da Hausers kan invite Wojo over two der crib four Xmas dinner after he gets chitkanned, hey?

So you want wojo to get fired?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 10:12:39 AM »
Didn't say that. But, when you base your recruiting on the whims of 18-20yos who don't want to play nicely together, the end result may be a record that gets you fired.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 10:23:21 AM »
Didn't say that. But, when you base your recruiting on the whims of 18-20yos who don't want to play nicely together, the end result may be a record that gets you fired.

I should have clarified.  I have no idea if Wojo based his decision on whether or not to pursue Herro more aggressively based on the Hauser's whims.  Just that I had heard that the Hausers and Herro didn't see eye-to-eye.

But again, Wojo did recruit Herro early on.  But when it was obvious that Herro was going to commit to UW early (October of his junior year), Wojo backed off.  (Smart decision)  And when he decommitted from UW, Wojo wasn't going to waste his time because it was obvious that he was looking to be recruited by blue bloods rather than the local programs.  (Smart decision?  I would say yes.)

So I'm not sure why you are being critical of Wojo's recruiting efforts here.  It clearly would have been a waste of time like it was for Greg Gard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 01:20:18 PM »

Or the end result may be a team that has great chemistry, plays well together and wins big, without a prima donna taking it down.

I say this not knowing a lick about Herro. I don't know if he's a prima donna, the greatest young man in history or (most likely) somewhere between those extremes.

What I have decided is that Wojo has done a pretty darn good job recruiting, and I trust him to best identify the recruits to pursue aggressively -- this despite the seemingly dozens of Scoopers who are convinced they could do a better job.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 02:13:26 PM »

I should have clarified.  I have no idea if Wojo based his decision on whether or not to pursue Herro more aggressively based on the Hauser's whims.  Just that I had heard that the Hausers and Herro didn't see eye-to-eye.

But again, Wojo did recruit Herro early on.  But when it was obvious that Herro was going to commit to UW early (October of his junior year), Wojo backed off.  (Smart decision)  And when he decommitted from UW, Wojo wasn't going to waste his time because it was obvious that he was looking to be recruited by blue bloods rather than the local programs.  (Smart decision?  I would say yes.)

So I'm not sure why you are being critical of Wojo's recruiting efforts here.  It clearly would have been a waste of time like it was for Greg Gard.

I'd say that was the case even months before he decommitted from UW. His impending decommitment was one of the worst kept secrets in the state. It amazed me that Gard wasn't recruiting more guys at the time and seemed to put all his eggs in the Joey Hauser basket that was pretty obviously always heading in this direction. I have to imagine that if Herro's dad was telling people at AAU events his son committed too early and it was close to public knowledge that he would be exploring his options if he had a good summer, Gard had to have heard the whispers.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 06:40:56 PM »
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/08/14/kentucky-wildcats-pj-washington-reid-travis-nick-richards-quade-green

Herro led Kentucky in scoring in their trip to the Bahamas.  He's going to be much more for Kentucky than a guy who picks splinters out of his butt for a year before transferring like many here projected.  I'm very glad he didn't end up at UW, especially because him and Jalen Johnson are very close.

He kind of reminds me of DiVencenzo.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 07:19:18 PM »
Inn meye opinion, Herro's a much bedder playa----quicker, sees da court bedder, has mor bb skills, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 07:44:07 PM »
Inn meye opinion, Herro's a much bedder playa----quicker, sees da court bedder, has mor bb skills, hey?

I don’t know. I actually think DiVencenzo is more of a playmaker (can be a better secondary ballhandler than I think Herro ever will be) and I think he’s a better defender.

But I think Herro has a professional career ahead of him too.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 08:16:05 PM »
Who is this Hero person yo all speak of?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 08:29:51 PM »
I don’t know. I actually think DiVencenzo is more of a playmaker (can be a better secondary ballhandler than I think Herro ever will be) and I think he’s a better defender.

But I think Herro has a professional career ahead of him too.

One of my kids played against DiVencenzo  many years ago in another sport. Dante had the speed, hand to eye coordination,competitive fire and athleticism to play at the D1 level in multiple sports if he chose to.  I look at DiVencenzo as a pure athlete who chose to focus on basketball.  A modern day Pat Riley (the player)
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 11:29:59 PM »
  i heard from someone that cal walked into whitnall gym during a practice and basically said, i want you on my team.  any of yous guyses ever say no to nina agdal?

Seashells and Balloons
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2018, 10:42:33 AM »
I have no idea if MU had legit chance to get Herro or not, but the kid can play ball. Disappointed that it appears we did not try very hard to get him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 03:38:28 PM »
I have no idea if MU had legit chance to get Herro or not, but the kid can play ball. Disappointed that it appears we did not try very hard to get him.

Goose, first you say you don't know if we had a legit chance and then you assume we didn't try.

I believe several others explained what happened. I don't fault Wojo even .000001% of an iota.