[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Where is Marquette? by muwarrior69
[Today at 09:46:37 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf thread  (Read 34326 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Golf thread
« Reply #175 on: December 20, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »
As above, I got a full bag fit at club champion. They carry the Cleveland wedges. That's what I ended up buying. Haven't hit them yet.

Curious, how did the wedge part go? Bounce selection scares me.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #176 on: December 20, 2018, 09:10:14 AM »
If you really do want a mallet I would recommend he Bettinardis. I had a Mizuno Bettinardi which I won in a tournament in Japan which was really nice. I gave it to a colleague as I already had my Hickory Stick.

I've had owned many putters, but it is difficult to beat the feel and craftsmanship of a Bettinardi. Currently rolling the Kuchar 2 arm-lock mallet.

For guys in the Chicago-area, or even the Midwest, looking for a Bettinardi and a putter fitting, can't recommend Bettinardi's Studio B enough. Great fitting and awesome experience seeing the factory first-hand.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #177 on: December 20, 2018, 09:48:54 AM »
Wags,

I share your enthusiasm for Vokey wedges. I carry 54 through 60 in my bag and love the precision they give me under 100 yards. My favorite sticks.

Awesome.  And yea, the RTX4s are really sharp.  I hit those and the Vokeys, liked them pretty equally.  Talked to my sister's bf who is a teaching pro at two of the top CCs in the Dallas area and he snap replied with Vokeys (his sponsorship/relationship isnt with Titleist either which helped my decision)

As for putters, I have a Hickory Stick hickory shaft which was a gift from my father. Beautiful piece of gear. The face is indented which makes the ball roll smoother.

If you really do want a mallet I would recommend he Bettinardis. I had a Mizuno Bettinardi which I won in a tournament in Japan which was really nice. I gave it to a colleague as I already had my Hickory Stick.

Best putter I ever knew personally was a doctor at the CC i hung around as a kid.  Had me caddy for him for club tourneys cause he knew me through golfing and his daughter played soccer with my sisters.  Had a Hickory Stick and was a sniper with it.  I'll look into Bettinardi's.  Putting was always a strength of my game, even playing with an old mallet I got 20 years ago for $40.  An upgraded weapon is something I'm excited for.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #178 on: December 20, 2018, 11:30:47 AM »
https://www.scottycameron.com/archives/putters/2012/california/sonoma/

This is the putter I have.  Its a medium for those who have tried blades and mallet styles. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #179 on: December 21, 2018, 01:06:46 PM »
Just got back from Club Champion in Deerfield. Quick note before getting into it, their CEO is a Marquette golf alumni. Very cool.

I walked in, and purposely left all putters at home (current gamer is in Florida). I wanted no preconceived notions of my putter preferences or style. The fitter asked about my game, I explained my difficulties. He had me grab a similar putter to my gamer and warm up. Once warmed up, I hit seven balls with the SAMPutt Lab. Made 5 of the 7 at 10 feet, pretty proud of myself. The fitter instantly said we're going to make some instant changes, but let's look at the results.

Surprisingly, I have a very consistent putting stroke. However, the stroke itself hit a draw due to needing a massive lie angle adjustment. I was a bit inconsistent with the putter face, which we helped out with a bigger grip.

We hit Scottys, Bettinardis, Odyssey and Ping putter. Mostly all blade or mid-mallets, I have never gamed a blade putter, so that shocked me. After adjustments and tinkering, I feel so much better about the putter. This really made an incredible difference in feel and pace.

I ended up with an Odyssey #2. Really excited to get it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #180 on: December 21, 2018, 01:58:57 PM »
Always good ta have a consistent stroke, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #181 on: December 21, 2018, 01:59:47 PM »
Just got back from Club Champion in Deerfield. Quick note before getting into it, their CEO is a Marquette golf alumni. Very cool.

I walked in, and purposely left all putters at home (current gamer is in Florida). I wanted no preconceived notions of my putter preferences or style. The fitter asked about my game, I explained my difficulties. He had me grab a similar putter to my gamer and warm up. Once warmed up, I hit seven balls with the SAMPutt Lab. Made 5 of the 7 at 10 feet, pretty proud of myself. The fitter instantly said we're going to make some instant changes, but let's look at the results.

Surprisingly, I have a very consistent putting stroke. However, the stroke itself hit a draw due to needing a massive lie angle adjustment. I was a bit inconsistent with the putter face, which we helped out with a bigger grip.

We hit Scottys, Bettinardis, Odyssey and Ping putter. Mostly all blade or mid-mallets, I have never gamed a blade putter, so that shocked me. After adjustments and tinkering, I feel so much better about the putter. This really made an incredible difference in feel and pace.

I ended up with an Odyssey #2. Really excited to get it.

Glad another had a good experience.

Did you talk about wedges? Or browse their selection?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #182 on: December 21, 2018, 02:40:39 PM »
Glad another had a good experience.

Did you talk about wedges? Or browse their selection?

We talked wedges and the guy told the truth. It's feel, hard to do off the synthetic indoor setup. Really need a mix of launch monitor and hitting off grass to do the wedges.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #183 on: December 21, 2018, 04:07:53 PM »
We talked wedges and the guy told the truth. It's feel, hard to do off the synthetic indoor setup. Really need a mix of launch monitor and hitting off grass to do the wedges.

Yea. The wedge fitting was just okay. They used a bounce board and then had me hit a bunch and asked which one felt/looked the best to me.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2018, 11:02:56 AM »
Tiger and Phil signed a multi-year deal to do this every Thanksgiving, but with some potential added nuance. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #185 on: January 05, 2019, 09:23:12 AM »
Looking for some recommendations. Starting our Masters trail in Fort Myers to pick up our clubs on Thursday. Probably play a local course and then drive to North Florida for 18 on Friday. Thinking World Golf Village, but open to recommendations. Staying Friday around there then trekking to Savannah or Charleston on Saturday for another 18. Sunday at Augusta, then red eyeing from ATL to ORD.

Anyone got any courses along that general route? Or want to give us a complete different routing? Starting in Fort Myers is fairly mandatory.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #186 on: January 05, 2019, 10:19:03 AM »
Looking for some recommendations. Starting our Masters trail in Fort Myers to pick up our clubs on Thursday. Probably play a local course and then drive to North Florida for 18 on Friday. Thinking World Golf Village, but open to recommendations. Staying Friday around there then trekking to Savannah or Charleston on Saturday for another 18. Sunday at Augusta, then red eyeing from ATL to ORD.

Anyone got any courses along that general route? Or want to give us a complete different routing? Starting in Fort Myers is fairly mandatory.

Streamstong in Fort Meade, Fl.  One of best courses/resorts in the state, truly outstanding and you can google the site and reviews. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #187 on: January 05, 2019, 11:01:36 AM »
Streamstong in Fort Meade, Fl.  One of best courses/resorts in the state, truly outstanding and you can google the site and reviews. 

Yeah, I know Streamsong. It's just not far enough north to work out logistically.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #188 on: January 05, 2019, 02:02:30 PM »
Yeah, I know Streamsong. It's just not far enough north to work out logistically.

Just do TPC Sawgrass on the way up. 

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #189 on: January 05, 2019, 09:55:34 PM »
Reminded me since I saw it on TV today but I really would like to play Kapalua some day. That 18th hole looks awesome.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #190 on: January 05, 2019, 09:57:44 PM »
Just do TPC Sawgrass on the way up. 

Yeah, may play Dye Valley there. Won't bother with the stadium course, 6 hour round, yuck

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2019, 11:54:21 AM »

I live in World Golf Village area.  Slammer Squire and King and Bear are both nice (Playing Slammer Squire next week).  Sawgrass is obviously outstanding.  St Johns Golf & Country Club (semi-private) off exit 329 on I-95 is a nice option at about 1/2 the price of WGV course.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

🏀

• All American
« Reply #192 on: January 11, 2019, 01:58:30 PM »
I live in World Golf Village area.  Slammer Squire and King and Bear are both nice (Playing Slammer Squire next week).  Sawgrass is obviously outstanding.  St Johns Golf & Country Club (semi-private) off exit 329 on I-95 is a nice option at about 1/2 the price of WGV course.

So, uh, got any extra beds?

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #193 on: January 11, 2019, 02:18:01 PM »

Can't help you there, but happy to provide suggestions on local area stuff: food, drinks, lodging, etc.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

🏀

• All American
« Reply #194 on: January 11, 2019, 02:21:18 PM »

Can't help you there, but happy to provide suggestions on local area stuff: food, drinks, lodging, etc.

I think we'll be in for one night, so yeah. Probably will AirBnB for the night, unless you have a better suggestion. Need a decent bar to watch Friday Masters round and then dinner later on.

I'm leaning towards WGV for sure. What's the typical round time there? Sawgrass and 5.5-6 hour rounds are scary.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »
I think we'll be in for one night, so yeah. Probably will AirBnB for the night, unless you have a better suggestion. Need a decent bar to watch Friday Masters round and then dinner later on.

I'm leaning towards WGV for sure. What's the typical round time there? Sawgrass and 5.5-6 hour rounds are scary.

Will send you a PM.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2019, 02:36:35 PM »

Chitter's full, Clark.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #197 on: January 30, 2019, 09:05:41 PM »
Got clubhouse tix for tomorrow’s waste management. Get to see some nice golf before the amateurs crowd the place up

Draft kings won’t let me play though-pi$$’s me off.  Because they note my location, they lock me up.  Sent them a note to see if I can get a waver.  My tenure shows that I’m from wisco, but the way the weathers going, not for long...cheezus ⛳️

Anyone know of a way I could block my location or play from somewheres else?  Hey cheeks...🤷🏼‍♂️ Help a brother out?  Baby needs new chews
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:07:33 PM by rocket surgeon »
don't...don't don't don't don't

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #198 on: January 30, 2019, 10:02:12 PM »
Got clubhouse tix for tomorrow’s waste management. Get to see some nice golf before the amateurs crowd the place up

Draft kings won’t let me play though-pi$$’s me off.  Because they note my location, they lock me up.  Sent them a note to see if I can get a waver.  My tenure shows that I’m from wisco, but the way the weathers going, not for long...cheezus ⛳️

Anyone know of a way I could block my location or play from somewheres else?  Hey cheeks...🤷🏼‍♂️ Help a brother out?  Baby needs new chews

VPN --- though Cheeks frowns upon such chicanery.
But I like to throw handfuls...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #199 on: January 30, 2019, 10:54:44 PM »
Quintero golf club, Peoria Az.  Hole #6

Voted Az number 1 public course and rated as high as #14 by golf digest in USA

Really cool-15 minute ride from clubhouse, up mountain to practice range and hole #1
don't...don't don't don't don't