[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf thread  (Read 34288 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Golf thread
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2018, 12:58:52 PM »
Very impressive, Lenny. Plus, I love your relocation destination. I hope to joining you in Naples in a decade.

Come visit sooner, Goose. Lunch and a round at Bear's Paw is on me.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »
If the music is playing the whole time at the same volume, fine.  Unexpected noises in the middle of your swing (phone, change, velcro, cough) are the issue.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2018, 01:01:55 PM »
I love playing g golf with anybody who plays relatively quickly and who laughs a lot.  Slow, dour golfers.... ick.

+1000. "Off season" we play in 3 hours 15 minutes.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2018, 01:14:44 PM »
Also, how does the general pop of this thread feel about music on the cart? OK with it in your cart or no? Hate it, ok with it, love it as you come across others on the course playing music?

Love music, but on the golf course? Conversations, betting, stories, trash talking and any other kind of back and forth among the 4some should (along with the game) provide the entertainment. Riding around with friends "listening to tunes" makes me think "high school".

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2018, 02:04:38 PM »
Love music, but on the golf course? Conversations, betting, stories, trash talking and any other kind of back and forth among the 4some should (along with the game) provide the entertainment. Riding around with friends "listening to tunes" makes me think "high school".

Yup. Don't care for it one bit.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2018, 02:22:31 PM »
Also, how does the general pop of this thread feel about music on the cart? OK with it in your cart or no? Hate it, ok with it, love it as you come across others on the course playing music?

When I play by myself, I usually throw on a podcast while I walk.

Nobody I regularly play with listens to music during a round.

There was one guy in my league that goes through the whole ACDC playlist. I hated that guy, he would roll up in his cart right next to your ball. Park and not think twice about his music. Pretty sure it was on propose. An old guy in the league got into a heated argument about it and ACDC guy was asked to leave the league. We know have a rule that all players should agree to allow music, so it hasn't been an issue.

For other groups, keep it within your listening radius, and I'm cool with it. If I hear some crapty country music from the teebox while I'm putting on a par 3, you're an pretty boy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2018, 03:08:10 PM »
mu03, other than the music thing, we are meant to golf together. Get a couple others, make a 4-some, and have a blast playing Wolf!

Goose, just goes to show everything's relative. I wish I could break 80 ever. For you, not doing so is tragedy! It's like money. I wish I had more than $10 billion, but others just hope for a tiny fraction of that. (Sorry. Meant to say $100 million. My bad.)

tower ... oh yeah ... playing fast is crucial. Back when I was the ranger at a private club for a couple years, I used to occasionally play a quick round solo after my work day. Could play a VERY challenging course in 2:20. Nothing worse than a 5-hour round. It's why I just about never play on weekends.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 09:38:13 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2018, 04:13:55 PM »
I won a bet by playing 18 holes in 1:45 on an empty course on a Sunday night.  Alone and in a cart, of course.   The trick is finding other 50 something's still willing to walk.

28 putts today.  Chipped really well. Moral?  Hit better irons. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 05:33:49 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2018, 06:34:43 PM »
If you want a nice course for the 11 year old to try out I know quite a few around that area.

The whole extended family used to make a trip up to the Frankfort/Sleeping Bear Dunes area every summer and Dad and I played quite a few rounds up there.
The answer to the 11 year old golfing issue was Northport Creek.  9 holes, walkable.  2000 yards from the junior tees.  Really smart design because the 9 holes can be played in a 6 hole loop and a 3 hole loop.  All solar powered, two big arrays of panels.   Firm fairways and undulating greens.  Kid had a blast.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2018, 07:32:29 PM »
Eye average 22 putts/rounds and wee talk 'bout hour conquests from back in da dey all round long, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2018, 11:22:41 PM »
I don't golf. Is that a problem?

I was actually a very good golfer in high school but gave it up for control issues.  I have never looked back. I love/hate the sport.  Mostly hate.

That said, I love Ricky Fowler.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2018, 09:40:49 PM »
I don't golf. Is that a problem?

I was actually a very good golfer in high school but gave it up for control issues.  I have never looked back. I love/hate the sport.  Mostly hate.

That said, I love Ricky Fowler.

Control issues as in "I can't hit my driver straight"? Or control issues as in "I hate this effen game so watch me snap my pitching wedge over my knee"?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2018, 06:57:04 AM »
I helicopter clubs from time to time.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2018, 07:12:01 AM »
Anyone gonna make the pilgrimage to the Black for the PGA next May?  My inlaws live in Bethpage so I think I might swing down from Boston.

Any tips on going to a major?  Been to plenty of PGA events in the past...was thinking of going a combo of Wed/Thur so see the most/best action.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2018, 08:31:29 AM »
Anyone gonna make the pilgrimage to the Black for the PGA next May?  My inlaws live in Bethpage so I think I might swing down from Boston.

Any tips on going to a major?  Been to plenty of PGA events in the past...was thinking of going a combo of Wed/Thur so see the most/best action.

I went to the US Open at Bethpage, since that was my home courses growing up and lived only 15 minutes away.

No parking at the course, you have to drive to Jones Beach and then get on a bus which drops you at the course.  Out of the way, but it wasn't time consuming, they had plenty of really nice buses. Took my son and we did the practice rounds for two days.  Knowing that Tiger goes off at like 7:00am for practice, we took an early bus and then asked a course employee where Tiger was starting.  It was like on hole #10 and when we found him, there was only like 25 of us following him.  It was awesome, then an hour later there were hundreds.  After an hour or so, walked around following others, then sat above hole #17, a par 3 which had great sight lines to 16, 17 and 18.  Next day, went to a few holes early and watched the groups come through.  Great experience and the crowds were nothing compared to the weekend.

So, if you want to see the players up close and watch them, go early on the practice rounds.  You want the experience of being there for the competitive aspect and the atmosphere, go on the weekend. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2018, 08:38:25 AM »
I went to the US Open at Bethpage, since that was my home courses growing up and lived only 15 minutes away.

No parking at the course, you have to drive to Jones Beach and then get on a bus which drops you at the course.  Out of the way, but it wasn't time consuming, they had plenty of really nice buses. Took my son and we did the practice rounds for two days.  Knowing that Tiger goes off at like 7:00am for practice, we took an early bus and then asked a course employee where Tiger was starting.  It was like on hole #10 and when we found him, there was only like 25 of us following him.  It was awesome, then an hour later there were hundreds.  After an hour or so, walked around following others, then sat above hole #17, a par 3 which had great sight lines to 16, 17 and 18.  Next day, went to a few holes early and watched the groups come through.  Great experience and the crowds were nothing compared to the weekend.

So, if you want to see the players up close and watch them, go early on the practice rounds.  You want the experience of being there for the competitive aspect and the atmosphere, go on the weekend.

Thanks!  My inlaws actually live right in Bethpage, and I can actually walk to the course from their house, so no need for buses  8-)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2018, 05:47:16 PM »
Would you rather:    A.   Play a tough course that you know is going to kick your butt and shoot a high score?
                              B.   Play an easy course that you know you can post a really good number on?

It is the same kind of argument that we have about MU's OOC scheduling.   Personally, I like to get my butt kicked, knowing that it will make the occasional par round on a tough course even sweeter.     However, there is nothing wrong with shooting par on a 6500 yard, slope 120 cupcake to get the swing back in sync.   

And if possible, playing a tour course or US Open venue and taking my 95 is totally acceptable. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »
Anyone get wedges recently?  Need to add a couple to my bag.  56 and either a 58 or a 60.  My sister is dating a teaching pro and he's steering me towards Vokeys.  I figured either that or Cleveland coming in.

Also, anyone else play a non-standard PW?  I have a some wear on the standard PW that came with my set and figured I might add one as well, have all 3 wedges uniform.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2018, 06:25:20 PM »
I picked up Vokey SM 6's over the winter.  Can't beat the feel of a Vokey.  However, I would definitely hit the Cleveland's.   You may decide you want the CBX s for your PW, GW and one of their others for your 56.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2018, 09:26:26 PM »
I've always loved Callaway wedges. The PM Grind is a superior product that should be replicates into the MD4 line.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2018, 09:57:57 AM »
Never played the Vokey's, but I have a Cleveland 54 and 60 in the bag and really like them.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2018, 10:39:08 AM »
Would you rather:    A.   Play a tough course that you know is going to kick your butt and shoot a high score?

Generally, I go with "C.  Play an easy course that kicks my butt and shoot a high score."  Because I suck.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2018, 10:45:15 AM »
My son and I are playing Dubsdread at Cog Hill on Saturday. Curious on who has played there and thoughts. I have walked the course many times when PGA stop, but never played there. Just decided we are playing the Blue tees and very jacked up.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2018, 01:51:40 PM »

It is the same kind of argument that we have about MU's OOC scheduling.   Personally, I like to get my butt kicked, knowing that it will make the occasional par round on a tough course even sweeter.     However, there is nothing wrong with shooting par on a 6500 yard, slope 120 cupcake to get the swing back in sync.   

And if possible, playing a tour course or US Open venue and taking my 95 is totally acceptable.

I'd go with B. Got talked into playing Sweetgrass from the tips as part of a 2 man scramble last Friday. Held my own but it jacked up my swing for the round the next day because I had to swing out of my shoes (or thought I did) and was still struggling when I played 9 last night.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2018, 02:09:13 PM »

Out of curiosity, where have you played a 6500yd 120 slope?

feedback