[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf thread  (Read 34284 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Golf thread
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2018, 04:11:06 PM »
I don't have a go to course up north.  I have played all over.  I love Tullymore, ambivalent about St. Ives.  Arcadia Bluffs is magnificent but pricey.   Petoskey area, I have played the Boyne Mountain courses, but have not played the Boyne Highlands courses.    Treetops is beautiful.   Threetops is a must play.    Garland has 4 great courses, all with their first tee within 100 yards of the main lodge.   Remote, though.    The Bear has been softened, but is still beautiful in Traverse City.     Forest Dunes in Roscommon is great.   I have not played the new course there yet.    Lakewood Shores in Oscoda has one great course and two average ones.     The Otsego Club (which is for sale) has one great course and one mediocre course.     
 I am about to go spend a week in Leland on the Leelanau peninsula, just up the road from Sleeping Bear Dunes.   Only one high end public access course on Michigan's pinkie.    A couple of decent courses, but you don't go there for the destination golf.     

We used to have a lake house in Leelanau County, miss it.

The first big course I played was the current day Mantiou Passage, right when it opened. I was in 7th grade. Played it again 4-5 years ago on a vacation, still was a blast. Not quite as daunting going up the side of Sugar Loaf as I once thought, but a fun track.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2018, 04:59:09 PM »
We used to have a lake house in Leelanau County, miss it.

The first big course I played was the current day Mantiou Passage, right when it opened. I was in 7th grade. Played it again 4-5 years ago on a vacation, still was a blast. Not quite as daunting going up the side of Sugar Loaf as I once thought, but a fun track.

I've played it.  Formerly King's Crossing, a Palmer design.   The Homestead bought it a few years ago and almost took it private, but they didn't pull the trigger.   It has some beautiful views.  I may play it again this week.  It is the closest thing to destination public golf there is on the Leelanau peninsula.   I am not sure my 11 year old is ready for that much course, though.   Sugarloaf, on the other side of the hill from Manitou Passage.    Bahle Farms.    Mistwood.  The Dunes.    Of course, the unreachable, untouchable, ungettable, insanely private jewel is Crystal Downs, 40 minutes south.   
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 05:02:15 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2018, 06:05:03 PM »
I forgot to add Cedar River at the Shanty Creek resort as very good, and the Chief, across the street from the Shanty Creek resort as one I won't ever play again. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 08:20:10 PM »
I've played it.  Formerly King's Crossing, a Palmer design.   The Homestead bought it a few years ago and almost took it private, but they didn't pull the trigger.   It has some beautiful views.  I may play it again this week.  It is the closest thing to destination public golf there is on the Leelanau peninsula.   I am not sure my 11 year old is ready for that much course, though.   Sugarloaf, on the other side of the hill from Manitou Passage.    Bahle Farms.    Mistwood.  The Dunes.    Of course, the unreachable, untouchable, ungettable, insanely private jewel is Crystal Downs, 40 minutes south.   

Our old neighbor was an area realtor, he was a member at Crystal Downs. Never knew it was a big deal back then.

I didn't know the Homestead bought it, thanks for the info. I couldn't imagine it thriving as a private though unless they would open it to the resort guests.

My dad used to tell a really bad joke about the Bear Lake course on 31 everytime we passed it. Something about a man killing his wife on the course.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2018, 09:03:08 PM »
   "... we might do Sand Valley..."

chili, or anyone else for that matter-have you played sentry world?  about 45 min northeast of wisco rapids.  i think it had a face lift about 5 years ago?  back in it's day, before the blackwolfs, erin hills, whistlings, etc.  it was probably one of the top few premier courses in the state.  they are not doing badly trying to keep up with the jones's
don't...don't don't don't don't

🏀

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2018, 09:11:13 PM »

chili, or anyone else for that matter-have you played sentry world?  about 45 min northeast of wisco rapids.  i think it had a face lift about 5 years ago?  back in it's day, before the blackwolfs, erin hills, whistlings, etc.  it was probably one of the top few premier courses in the state.  they are not doing badly trying to keep up with the jones's

It's still a top 100 public course.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2018, 11:42:15 AM »

I've only been there for the old WISAA State Tennis Championships back in my glory days of the mid to late 90s.

As for golf, we thought about it for a pre or post round after Lawsonia but didn't do it this year. Maybe next. I have to say though that Lawsonia is now one of my favorite courses to play - especially for what you pay. It's so much fun but we'll have to see if we can swing a round elsewhere next time we're in that neck of the woods.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 11:43:50 AM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2018, 11:53:39 AM »
Callaway Supersoft

I used to always use Nike PD Soft but when they got out of the golf market I had to switch.

Man I miss those Nike golf balls. Ironically enough, golf equipment was the only thing I actually bought from Nike.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2018, 04:00:37 PM »
My all-time low round was 81, and that was back in 2005! When I break 90, I do a happy dance. I once shot a 102 at Medinah that included an amazing birdie on the signature par-3 ... and I felt I actually had played pretty well, which should tell anybody all they need to know about my game. On most typical public courses, I shoot in the low- to mid-90s from 6000-6200 yards.

So guys like Goose and tower probably would never want to play with me ... even though I'm a really fun golfer.

My scoring is hurt mostly by my horrific game around the greens - I'm a good putter but I chip like shyte and I am a travesty in bunkers. Also, I almost always have a couple of blow-up holes in a round ... tough to score when you card a 7 and a 9. I could be 5-over after 10 holes and feeling like, "hey I'm gonna really have a good one today," and then I get a snowman -- d'oh!

I'm actually fairly valuable in a team tournament setting because I have a high handicap (obviously) and get lots of dots on the scorecard, but I hit it pretty long and I am more than capable of parring even difficult holes. So if there is a low-handicapper in my group, as well as a 9 or 10, they can carry my arse most of the time but I can pull out a coupla pars on tough "2-dot" holes.

And, again, I have a lot of fun when I golf. Love to bust everybody's chops, especially my own!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2018, 04:04:20 PM »
I've only been there for the old WISAA State Tennis Championships back in my glory days of the mid to late 90s.

As for golf, we thought about it for a pre or post round after Lawsonia but didn't do it this year. Maybe next. I have to say though that Lawsonia is now one of my favorite courses to play - especially for what you pay. It's so much fun but we'll have to see if we can swing a round elsewhere next time we're in that neck of the woods.

you are the 2nd person within a week to echo this sentiment(lawsonia).  the other was during a random conversation with a patient of mine.  he favors the links course.  and this guy has golfed a lot of courses as well.  the wife and i are gonna do these courses on our 34th anniversary

as for balls du jour-     anything pro v's(doesn't everyone?)
                                 taylormade tour preferred
                                 kirkland signatures

you can get any of these for decent prices during off season online deals at rockbottom golf or costco(if you're a member)

my favorite?  anything that goes in the hole, eyn'a?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 04:06:05 PM by rocket surgeon »
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2018, 05:10:29 PM »
Driving north today, stopped at Arcadia Bluffs.  My wife groused a little as we pulled in about stopping to sightsee at a golf course.   Until we got to the club house and the veranda overlooking  the course and down to Lake Michigan. She declared the view as good as anything on Northern Michigan, wants to ride along with me when I play it, and declared it worth the $200 per round they charge.  If she can't ride along, she is more than willing to sit on the veranda sipping drinks until I return.  However, we all agree it is a waste of money to pay that much for the 11 year old to shoot 250 and lose two dozen balls.

The course is that beautiful.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 08:29:38 PM by tower912 »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2018, 05:24:30 PM »
Driving north today, stopped at Arcadia Bluffs.  My wife roused a little as we pulled in about stopping to sightsee at a golf course.   Until we got to the club house and the veranda overlooking  the course and down to Lake Michigan. She declared the view as good as anything on Northern Michigan, wants to ride along with me when I play it, and declared it worth the $200 per round they charge.  If she can't ride along, she is more than willing to sit on the veranda sipping drinks until I return.  However, we all agree it is a waste of money to pay that much for the 11 year old to shoot 250 and lose two dozen balls.

The course is that beautiful.

If you want a nice course for the 11 year old to try out I know quite a few around that area.

The whole extended family used to make a trip up to the Frankfort/Sleeping Bear Dunes area every summer and Dad and I played quite a few rounds up there.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2018, 05:58:09 PM »
Thanks.  I know the area well.   My wife had never seen the AB view before.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2018, 06:17:12 PM »
My most-holes golf trip was to Tullymore and St. Ives back in 2008, my last full summer as a Midwesterner.

We played 18 on Thursday afternoon at some course on the way, 36 on Friday and 36 on Saturday at T/SI and then 18 on Sunday morning before driving back to Chicago.

That's 108 holes in about 72 hours, for those scoring at home.

Ibuprofen very necessary. My best round was the very last one, when I think my body was so sore I couldn't over-swing!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2018, 09:47:47 PM »
My most-holes golf trip was to Tullymore and St. Ives back in 2008, my last full summer as a Midwesterner.

We played 18 on Thursday afternoon at some course on the way, 36 on Friday and 36 on Saturday at T/SI and then 18 on Sunday morning before driving back to Chicago.

That's 108 holes in about 72 hours, for those scoring at home.

Ibuprofen very necessary. My best round was the very last one, when I think my body was so sore I couldn't over-swing!

My most holes ever? 100 - in one day! Last October, Bear's Paw Country Club, Naples, Fl. Played alone, but had drivers and a "gallery" that came and went as the day went on. Hit the first ball at 7:10, sank the final putt at 5:15. Regular men's tees, 6115 yards (I'm old - 69 at the time), shot 82, 79, 84, 86 (swooning a bit), 81, 41 for nine and a par 4 on #10. Reason? I was resigning my position on the board of a Chicago mental health charity due to relocating to Florida - so one final personal fundraiser. Netted just over $10,000, so a happy ending to the day - but I had no interest in playing for more than a week.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2018, 11:49:18 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 07:10:28 AM by jmayer1 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2018, 01:54:34 PM »
My most holes ever? 100 - in one day! Last October, Bear's Paw Country Club, Naples, Fl. Played alone, but had drivers and a "gallery" that came and went as the day went on. Hit the first ball at 7:10, sank the final putt at 5:15. Regular men's tees, 6115 yards (I'm old - 69 at the time), shot 82, 79, 84, 86 (swooning a bit), 81, 41 for nine and a par 4 on #10. Reason? I was resigning my position on the board of a Chicago mental health charity due to relocating to Florida - so one final personal fundraiser. Netted just over $10,000, so a happy ending to the day - but I had no interest in playing for more than a week.

Nice, Lenny.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2018, 09:45:59 AM »
Very impressive, Lenny. Plus, I love your relocation destination. I hope to joining you in Naples in a decade.

MUINGB

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2018, 10:43:44 AM »
Nice Lenny, but back to the golf balls.   What ball do we recommend for a 90's shooter, an old guy that needs more distance?  I have heard to use only the extra soft or womens golf balls.        Any thoughts on this guys? 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2018, 11:02:27 AM »
My all-time low round was 81, and that was back in 2005! When I break 90, I do a happy dance. I once shot a 102 at Medinah that included an amazing birdie on the signature par-3 ... and I felt I actually had played pretty well, which should tell anybody all they need to know about my game. On most typical public courses, I shoot in the low- to mid-90s from 6000-6200 yards.

So guys like Goose and tower probably would never want to play with me ... even though I'm a really fun golfer.

My scoring is hurt mostly by my horrific game around the greens - I'm a good putter but I chip like shyte and I am a travesty in bunkers. Also, I almost always have a couple of blow-up holes in a round ... tough to score when you card a 7 and a 9. I could be 5-over after 10 holes and feeling like, "hey I'm gonna really have a good one today," and then I get a snowman -- d'oh!

I'm actually fairly valuable in a team tournament setting because I have a high handicap (obviously) and get lots of dots on the scorecard, but I hit it pretty long and I am more than capable of parring even difficult holes. So if there is a low-handicapper in my group, as well as a 9 or 10, they can carry my arse most of the time but I can pull out a coupla pars on tough "2-dot" holes.

And, again, I have a lot of fun when I golf. Love to bust everybody's chops, especially my own!

For all sorts of reasons I think you and I would have a helluva time golfing together including we are basically the same golfer. Love to play, especially with friends but I'm a feast or famine type on the course. I will go par, triple, birdie, snowman, par, double, double, triple, birdie on a semi-regular basis. I struggle in two areas: consistency and overthinking. I can hit an amazing approach shot and chunk an easy wedge or I'll hammer a 300 yard drive(GPS verified) down the fairway then skull an iron shot when I should be in easy position for a GIR. Only thing I'm consistently average to above average with is my putter.

One thing I'm working on a little more this season is just getting up and hitting the ball and not spending so much time thinking through the shot and practicing too much. Haven't been at as much but I think it'll pay off.

Generally to the thread, for those that want to improve or have improved, what is your one or two tips to get better at the game?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2018, 11:08:20 AM »
Nice Lenny, but back to the golf balls.   What ball do we recommend for a 90's shooter, an old guy that needs more distance?  I have heard to use only the extra soft or womens golf balls.        Any thoughts on this guys? 

Try the Bridgestone e6 Speed.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2018, 11:21:07 AM »

Callaway Superhot gave some extra distance, but I could tell a difference around the greens.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2018, 11:45:23 AM »
MU82

Your blow up holes are much like my game. Only problem for me is, back in the day two blow up holes would give me a 76 or 77. Now it is 3-5 blow up holes and I am shooting 88. I have played more this year than I have in a long time and my game is slightly improving. Almost like when I was a kid trying to break 80 for the first time, I have the same mental block in breaking 80 again. It has been too long and when I do break it, I will be very excited.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2018, 12:15:14 PM »
I love playing g golf with anybody who plays relatively quickly and who laughs a lot.  Slow, dour golfers.... ick. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »
Also, how does the general pop of this thread feel about music on the cart? OK with it in your cart or no? Hate it, ok with it, love it as you come across others on the course playing music?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."