[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf thread  (Read 34291 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Golf thread
« on: July 31, 2018, 06:09:42 PM »

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Golf thread
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 06:34:41 PM »
What brand of ball are you guys playing? For years, I only played ProV1s. Then I found Bridgestone e6 softs were apparently better for my game.

When all the internet brands began coming out, I did some research before settling on Snell. I bought their test pack earlier this summer (2 sleeves each of their 3 layer and 4 layer). To my surprise, liked and performed better with the 3 layer (black). Just bought 6 dozen. Hell of a price for that quality.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 07:33:20 PM »
E6's.   Wilson Duos.    Callaway Chrome Soft, when I am playing a course with rock hard greens. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 09:15:29 PM »
Tower nailed it. e6 and Duos are a steal for the money. Also, love Vice Pro Soft and Pro +.

Titleist was recently at my league track. Did a ball fitting, mostly because I got two free sleeves. The new Prov1x outperformed their other balls, the Duos and Vice in my bag. I just can't pay $50/dozen.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:18:00 PM by PTM + Chartouny = Us »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 07:47:30 AM »
I have shot low rounds (pat or better) with many different balls.  98% of the time, a well struck iron will check up on the green predictably, regardless of brand.  For that other 2%, a Pro V, or some other tour caliber ball will make a difference.  So I generally go for low compression and low driver spin.  I would rather be 3-5 yards closer to the middle of the fairway and play to the center of the green than try to curve a ball to a pin.  I only go pin hunting with my wedges from specific yardages.  And an E6 or Duo spins enough to do that.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 09:15:47 AM »
I did like the e6. I just found I saved a few bucks with the Snells.

PTM - have you tried any other "online" brand balls?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 09:21:03 AM »
Tower

You sound like my kind of golfing partner. As a rule, I prefer to play with very good golfers. Curious, what is your handicap? What was lowest handicap?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 10:29:27 AM »
Duo is a good ball for the price. I liked the Vice Pro as well.

Started playing the Titleist Tour Soft this season and I like 'em quite a bit.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 10:59:23 AM »
I switched from the Bridgestone B330 to the Vice Pro+ 2 years ago and won't look back. Can't beat $25 a dozen and I can the red ball. Though, I have white available for fall rounds.

I have some of the good KSigs left and way too many of the crap KSigs too. They're nice for when you're doing drunk late 9's on golf trips after you've already played 36.

But I like to throw handfuls...

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 11:06:21 AM »
Callaway Supersoft

I used to always use Nike PD Soft but when they got out of the golf market I had to switch.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 11:07:33 AM »
Tower

You sound like my kind of golfing partner. As a rule, I prefer to play with very good golfers. Curious, what is your handicap? What was lowest handicap?
The lowest I have ever been was a 4 in the fall of 2006.    I went on a golf orgy, knowing my wife was pregnant and that my next few years was going to be spent taking care of the baby on my days off.     That fall, I had 20 rounds in a row without ever shooting higher than a 77.   I gave up playing 7000 yard tees for my 50th birthday two years ago.    6500-6800 is enough.   I am currently playing to a 7.   What has crept into my game this year is the random WTF round.   5 straight rounds in the high  70's followed by a WTF 92.     8-10 more rounds at 80 or lower and then another WTF 94.   

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 11:48:28 AM »
I did like the e6. I just found I saved a few bucks with the Snells.

PTM - have you tried any other "online" brand balls?

Yeah, between my usual partners and I, we're gone through a lot of them.

I think Vice is the best. They also have a strong marketing and apparel game, which helps the cause. Snell is right up there with quality, I just cringed at those "GETSUM" balls. Cut was pretty terrible, but one of my partner still is playing them. I think he may have just over ordered.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 12:04:38 PM »
Tower

I wish I could force myself to move a tee box up. I am 55 and play mostly with my oldest son and only play the tips. We did play Erin Hills at roughly 6700 yards last month and very enjoyable. I fired an 80 and believe moving up one tee box was about 6-7 shots for me.

My biggest issue with the tips is distance in for approach shot. My short game has fallen off the planet, making scoring very difficult. More importantly, it is mentally draining being forced to rely on short game too much.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 01:01:19 PM »
My short game us fine.  The backbone of my scoring.  74 with 26 putts.  78 with 29.  That kind of thing.   Hero par 4s are my reason for playing up.  Playing an uphill 450 yard par 4 sucks.  Tee boxes tucked behind a lake that require a 240 carry to reach the fairway.  My ego is just fine playing blue tees and not black.   Plus, finding other people willing to play them is not easy after 50.  Most of my friends want to play white tees.  6000 is plenty for them

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 01:12:44 PM »
Tower

I wish I had your putting numbers. When I belonged to club,and played very fast greens, my putting numbers were close to yours. More often than not I am in the 33-35 range, hence my high scoring. I really wish I could get my game 80% back to where it was when I could really play. I had seasons of 100+ rounds that I maybe shot over 80 ten times in a season. Now, I have 100+ in over past seven years and have not broken 80.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 01:26:00 PM »
I am not a great putter.  I  am a great chipper. I hit from beyond 20 feet about as often as Derrick Wilson.  I am very good inside 8 ft and a good lag putter who rarely 3 putts.   I will hit 6 greens in regulation and shoot 77.  I am a disappointing A player in a scramble because knocking down pins and knocking  in bombs is not what I do.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 02:47:37 PM »
I was Finland min-June for a conference at corporate headquarters.  They held a team building event at a golf course.  It was cool to play golf late in the evening.  It was still very bright sunlight at 9:00 pm and still bright sunlight at 10:00 pm when the club house visit ended. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 06:22:10 AM »
I was Finland min-June for a conference at corporate headquarters.  They held a team building event at a golf course.  It was cool to play golf late in the evening.  It was still very bright sunlight at 9:00 pm and still bright sunlight at 10:00 pm when the club house visit ended.

Try Northern Michigan in the summer.   A shameless plug for my state, sure, but 54 hole days are not rare up north.   Start the day dew sweeping, finish up looking into the sunset, go get a few local microbrews and some ibuprofen.    I have done 36 many times, but when I hear guys talk about 54, I get sympathy back and hip pains, like watching someone roll their ankle or take a shot to the nards. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 06:52:14 AM »
I'm playing 81 holes in 4 days starting next Wednesday with gambling and drinking thrown in, this will either kill me or.....yeah it's gonna kill me.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 07:59:12 AM »
I have a 3 day outing every year right after Memorial day with 90 holes of golf in 3 days, with an option for 9 or 18 more.   Treetops the last few years, Garland next year, but we have played all over Northern Michigan.    It isn't the golf.   It is getting out of the car after the 3 hour drive home. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 08:27:30 AM »
Yeah, I'm playing a charity event in MKE on Wednesday then head up to the UP on Thursday to play Sage Run, Sweetgrass, and Greywalls. The folding and unfolding in the car on Sunday will be difficult.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU11W

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 08:57:29 AM »
Try Northern Michigan in the summer.   A shameless plug for my state, sure, but 54 hole days are not rare up north.   Start the day dew sweeping, finish up looking into the sunset, go get a few local microbrews and some ibuprofen.    I have done 36 many times, but when I hear guys talk about 54, I get sympathy back and hip pains, like watching someone roll their ankle or take a shot to the nards.

Tower - What's your go to course(s) up in Northern Michigan?  I go up to the Petoskey area every summer and am always looking for new courses to play.  Little Traverse Bay Golf Club is generally my main course while in that area.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 10:37:52 AM »
Tower - What's your go to course(s) up in Northern Michigan?  I go up to the Petoskey area every summer and am always looking for new courses to play.  Little Traverse Bay Golf Club is generally my main course while in that area.

We have a group of 8 guys that does a 2 day outing (Sun-Mon) every year right before Fathers Day so just before the Summer Solstice. We try and do Western MI but some years do central WI too. 2 years ago we did St. Ives & Tulleymore in north central MI and this past year did Lawsonia Links in Green Lake. Next year since we're all turning 40 we might do Sand Valley to go all out.
But I like to throw handfuls...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2018, 12:45:48 PM »
I don't have a go to course up north.  I have played all over.  I love Tullymore, ambivalent about St. Ives.  Arcadia Bluffs is magnificent but pricey.   Petoskey area, I have played the Boyne Mountain courses, but have not played the Boyne Highlands courses.    Treetops is beautiful.   Threetops is a must play.    Garland has 4 great courses, all with their first tee within 100 yards of the main lodge.   Remote, though.    The Bear has been softened, but is still beautiful in Traverse City.     Forest Dunes in Roscommon is great.   I have not played the new course there yet.    Lakewood Shores in Oscoda has one great course and two average ones.     The Otsego Club (which is for sale) has one great course and one mediocre course.     
 I am about to go spend a week in Leland on the Leelanau peninsula, just up the road from Sleeping Bear Dunes.   Only one high end public access course on Michigan's pinkie.    A couple of decent courses, but you don't go there for the destination golf.     
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 02:23:16 PM by tower912 »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2018, 01:04:04 PM »

Finland or Michigan Michigan or Finland?   :-\  ;D

feedback