[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vogue: Milwaukee is Cool  (Read 8738 times)

MUEng92

• All American
Re: Vogue: Milwaukee is Cool
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 05:52:13 AM »
It's nice to see they edited the story that originally referred to "its proximity to the University of Wisconsin" which had me confused to more accurately read "University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 06:42:02 AM »
https://www.vogue.com/article/travel-guide-milwaukee-wisconsin-midwest-coolest-city/amp?__twitter_impression=true

I don't think anyone who reads Vogue could be successfully convinced that Milwaukee is cool. And I am completely fine with that.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 08:13:42 AM »
Milwaukee has always been cooler than it gave itself credit for.  The biggest problem is proximity to Chicago and an inferiority complex.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 08:24:01 AM »
Milwaukee has always been cooler than it gave itself credit for.  The biggest problem is proximity to Chicago and an inferiority complex.

that same proximity issue with attracting visitors from the rest of the country might be its biggest advantage in terms of getting people up there for the major festivals all summer.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 08:25:17 AM »

And that Milwaukeeans tend to be reserved about their own city.  There is a German word for it, but I can't recall what it is.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 08:25:55 AM »
that same proximity issue with attracting visitors from the rest of the country might be its biggest advantage in terms of getting people up there for the major festivals all summer.

Definitely.  The more the Chicago suburbs creep north, the more "discovered" Milwaukee is getting. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 08:28:42 AM »
Only learned relatively recently that a chaser with a Bloody Mary isn't standard everywhere.  Between the chaser, and generally more extravagant garnish, I don't know why anyone would get one from anywhere other than Wisconsin. 

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 10:29:16 AM »
Only learned relatively recently that a chaser with a Bloody Mary isn't standard everywhere.  Between the chaser, and generally more extravagant garnish, I don't know why anyone would get one from anywhere other than Wisconsin.

I don't understand why drastically improving the drink in other parts of the country has never caught on. A bad Bloody Mary is depressing.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 12:15:10 PM by Blue Horseshoe »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 01:44:03 PM »
Definitely.  The more the Chicago suburbs creep north, the more "discovered" Milwaukee is getting.

Brother Sultan, exactly!

I own a house about 15 miles south of the Wisconsin Border (known locally as the Cheese Curtain). It is less time and less hassle for me to get to downtown Milwaukee than it is to the Chicago Loop. And the restaurants in Milwaukee are more reasonably priced.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 02:25:32 PM »
One of the unrecognized benefits of Milwaukee is that all the up and coming chefs out of Chicago come up to Milwaukee to cut their teeth on owning/managing their own restaurants where it's cheaper/easier to succeed than it ever would be in Chicago. Some even end up staying. As a consequence the food scene in Milwaukee has really come into it's own which really benefits MKE.

Only thing I worry about with Milwaukee is while I absolutely love the craft beer scene/options it has really exploded and I think the market may be saturated but we'll see.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 02:33:58 PM »
Only thing I worry about with Milwaukee is while I absolutely love the craft beer scene/options it has really exploded and I think the market may be saturated but we'll see.

I feel like that can be said for a number of cities, both large and mid-size.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 02:36:22 PM »
One of the unrecognized benefits of Milwaukee is that all the up and coming chefs out of Chicago come up to Milwaukee to cut their teeth on owning/managing their own restaurants where it's cheaper/easier to succeed than it ever would be in Chicago. Some even end up staying. As a consequence the food scene in Milwaukee has really come into it's own which really benefits MKE.

Am I the only one who feels MKE is extremely late to the game for craft beer considering it's reputation
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 02:38:57 PM »
Am I the only one who feels MKE is extremely late to the game for craft beer considering it's reputation

Late to the game in what way? Lakefront was killing the game in 2000 at least and that pre-dated the craft beer boom.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 02:49:29 PM »

Caveat that I'm talking totally out of my keister - but I feel like MKE beer was in a tough spot in the early-mid days of the craft beer boom because MKE's rep was built as a lager-pilsner-marzen town.  Until fairly recently, most of the craft beer movement was preoccupied with cramming as many hops as possible into IPAs and making the darkest, strongest stouts and porters . But I also think that now, most casual beer aficionados have tired on that, and the craft community is embracing those traditional session varieties again. I think that puts MKE breweries in a much better spot to be widely appreciated and make some really good beers that will be embraced by craft drinkers.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »

And that Milwaukeeans tend to be reserved about their own city.  There is a German word for it, but I can't recall what it is.

zurückgehalten

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 03:24:28 PM »

We were out for lunch a couple summers ago while the Cubs were in town. A group of Chicago residents were raving about how easily they found parking, not having to wait to be seated, and the prices of food and beer. I chuckle because my mother in law from Burlington finds Milwaukee prices and wait times to be things to complain about.

I thought this was a good article. They two of my personal top-5 higher end Milwaukee restaurants (Ardent & Odd Duck) but also hit places that are more working class like Burnheart's and Comet. Also liked the mentions of Kinn and Ursa, which are both within about 100' of my firehouse.

I do love this city and look forward to raising our daughter here. There's always something to do and new places to explore. This is much better than the standard Pfister/5 O'Clock/Safehouse articles that seemed to define Milwaukee for decades.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 03:24:47 PM »
Milwaukee is cool, especially in January.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 03:37:15 PM »
Late to the game in what way? Lakefront was killing the game in 2000 at least and that pre-dated the craft beer boom.

Yes and while they sat on one maybe two craft breweries Denver, Chicago, Portland, and most major cities built up dozens of established solid brands.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 03:43:44 PM »
Sprecher, 1985.  Mmmmmm, Mai Bock.

And now I see they currently have four limited release Belgians, and there is no distributor near me. #sad
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:49:04 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 03:49:10 PM »

+1  and the Abbey Triple
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 03:51:33 PM »
Yes and while they sat on one maybe two craft breweries Denver, Chicago, Portland, and most major cities built up dozens of established solid brands.

To be fair, Denver, Chicago, Portland are all larger than MKE but a fair point that MKE was a slow starter (except that Sprecher and Lakefront are older than most craft brewers), but there has been an explosion in recent years although some have already gone out of business (Brenner, Horny Goat).

Here's the BA list:
•Third Space Brewing  - 1505 W St Paul Ave, Milwaukee
•Black Husky Brewing  - 909 E Locust St, Milwaukee
•Eagle Park Brewing  - 823 E Hamilton Street, Milwaukee
•3 Sheeps Brewing  - 1327 Huron Ave, Sheboygan
•1840 Brewing Company  - 342 E Ward St, Milwaukee
•Raised Grain Brewing Company  - 2244 W Bluemound Rd, Waukesha
•Good City Brewing  - 2108 N Farwell Ave, Milwaukee
•Rustic Road Brewing Company  - 5706 6th Ave, Kenosha
•Like Minds Brewing Company  - 823 E Hamilton St, Milwaukee
•City Lights Brewing Co.  - 2200 W Mt Vernon Ave, Milwaukee
•Silver Creek Brewing Co.  - N57 W6172 Portland Road, Cedarburg
•Lakefront Brewery, Inc.  - 1872 N Commerce St., Milwaukee
•Biloba Brewing Company  - 18720 Pleasant St, Brookfield
•Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery  - 740 N Plankinton Ave, Milwaukee
•The Fermentorium  - 7481 Highway 60, Cedarburg
•The Explorium Brewpub  - 5300 S 76th St, Ste 1450A, Greendale
•Delafield Brewhaus  - 3832 Hillside Dr, Delafield
•MobCraft Beer  - 505 S 5th St, Milwaukee
•Brewfinity Brewing Company  - N58W39800 Industrial Rd Ste D, Oconomowoc
•Public Craft Brewing Company  - 716 58th St, Kenosha
•Milwaukee Brewing Company  - 613 S 2nd St, Milwaukee
•Company Brewing  - 735 E Center St, Milwaukee
•Enlightened Brewing Company  - 2018 S 1st St, Milwaukee
•Urban Harvest Brewing Company  - 1024 S 5th St, Milwaukee
•Big Head Brewing Co.  - 6204 W State St, Wauwatosa
•St. Francis Brewery & Restaurant  - 3825 S. Kinnickinnic Ave, St. Francis
•Sprecher Brewing Company  - 701 West Glendale Avenue, Glendale
•District 14 Brewery & Pub  - 2273 S Howell Ave, Milwaukee
•Water Street Brewery  - 1101 N. Water Street, Milwaukee
•Milwaukee Ale House  - 233 North Water Street, Milwaukee
•Water Street Brewery  - 3191 Golf Road, Delafield
•R' Noggin Brewing Co  - 6521 120th Ave, Kenosha
•Lithia Brewing Company  - 825 Schoenhaar Dr., West Bend
•Bavarian Bierhaus  - 700 W Lexington Blvd, Glendale
•Pabst Milwaukee Brewing  - 1037 W Juneau Ave, Milwaukee
•Riverside Brewery And Restaurant  - 255 South Main St., West Bend
•Chameleon Brewing  - 701 West Glendale Avenue, Glendale
•Miller Brewing Co.  - 3939 West Highland Boulevard, Milwaukee

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 03:53:18 PM »
I was just reading today in the latest Marquette Magazine, that four of those breweries were started by Marquette alums.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2018, 04:03:43 PM »

And now I see they currently have four limited release Belgians, and there is no distributor near me. #sad

Sprecher has some of the worst beer I have ever tasted.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 04:07:22 PM »
As was Wasatch Brewery in Utah, 1986.  Greg is an MU alum. Plus, he pokes the Mormons with his Polygamy Porter and Evolution Ale.

“Where’s the beer? Where are the breweries?” Those were among the first thoughts Greg Schirf had after moving to Utah from Milwaukee in the early 80’s. Incredibly, drinking and brewing were all but forbidden. Greg took matters into his own hands and did what any self-respecting midwesterner would do: He started a brewery. Wasatch was the very first brewery in Utah – and one of the first craft brewers in all of the U.S. – brewing award-winning brews since 1986.

In 1988, Greg Schirf proposed another bill to the Utah Legislature making brewpubs legal in Utah and opened the first brewpub at the top of historic Main Street in the resort town of Park City. Wasatch continues to misbehave, turning out naughty beer after naughty beer year after year.

https://www.wasatchbeers.com/
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 04:12:20 PM »
Sprecher has some of the worst beer I have ever tasted.
Their Amber is average IMO, as is the Hefe.  The Mai Bock and Abbey Triple are excellent. Pilser is meh (but aren't they all).  Can't really comment on the Black Bavarian or IPA as I tend to avoid those styles.  I'm not usually into stout much but really like the Irish Stout.  They used to have a Brew Pub Brown which I didn't care for. So YMMV.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:14:03 PM by TSmith34 »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 04:17:02 PM »
Dr. Blackheart religiously reads Vogue, heyner?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2018, 04:26:47 PM »
Their Amber is average IMO, as is the Hefe.  The Mai Bock and Abbey Triple are excellent. Pilser is meh (but aren't they all).  Can't really comment on the Black Bavarian or IPA as I tend to avoid those styles.  I'm not usually into stout much but really like the Irish Stout.  They used to have a Brew Pub Brown which I didn't care for. So YMMV.

Sprecher's Oktoberfest and Mai Bock (and Black Bavarian) used to be fantastic until Randy made the compromise he had promised he never would, they started pasteurizing all of their beer and killed the taste. He had stated making soda would subsidize his brewing and he would never make the change.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2018, 04:27:56 PM »

I was drinking craft beer in 1986 in Boston.  A co-worker's brother owned the brewery and we thought he was nuts to take on Big Beer.

And that doesn't even count the fact that back then, Sam Adams was considered craft beer.
Have some patience, FFS.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2018, 04:42:43 PM »
I was drinking craft beer in 1986 in Boston.  A co-worker's brother owned the brewery and we thought he was nuts to take on Big Beer.

And that doesn't even count the fact that back then, Sam Adams was considered craft beer.

Sprecher started here in 1985 although originally we could only take it home in resealable 1 liter flip-top bottles with a deposit

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2018, 05:18:11 PM »

Yep.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2018, 05:28:46 PM »

It’s hard to keep track of what really still counts as craft beer anymore.

It seems like good ones either get too big to be considered “craft” for very long or get bought by one of the big conglomerates. Is Sprecher small enough to still be considered a craft brewery?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2018, 07:49:05 PM »
Toured Sprecher in 1987 with the late Greg Raffensperger (‘83) on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Tour took about 20 minutes, then the guide poured some beers for us. Just fantastic. Guide said that someone at the brewery was getting married, showed how to work the taps, and took off.....for three hours. Around 4:00, someone stopped down in the tap room to let us know he’d be heading home in a bit, but we should help ourselves to a few more.

Wow, and we went to Zur Krone (sp) for boots after that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 08:44:09 PM »

Dude, the manscaping tips are worth the subscription alone.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 10:07:03 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 09:20:56 PM »
+1  and the Abbey Triple

The Abbey Triple is excellent. Love that beer.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 09:53:53 PM »
To be fair, Denver, Chicago, Portland are all larger than MKE but a fair point that MKE was a slow starter (except that Sprecher and Lakefront are older than most craft brewers), but there has been an explosion in recent years although some have already gone out of business (Brenner, Horny Goat).

Here's the BA list:
•Third Space Brewing  - 1505 W St Paul Ave, Milwaukee
•Black Husky Brewing  - 909 E Locust St, Milwaukee
•Eagle Park Brewing  - 823 E Hamilton Street, Milwaukee
•3 Sheeps Brewing  - 1327 Huron Ave, Sheboygan
•1840 Brewing Company  - 342 E Ward St, Milwaukee
•Raised Grain Brewing Company  - 2244 W Bluemound Rd, Waukesha
•Good City Brewing  - 2108 N Farwell Ave, Milwaukee
•Rustic Road Brewing Company  - 5706 6th Ave, Kenosha
•Like Minds Brewing Company  - 823 E Hamilton St, Milwaukee
•City Lights Brewing Co.  - 2200 W Mt Vernon Ave, Milwaukee
•Silver Creek Brewing Co.  - N57 W6172 Portland Road, Cedarburg
•Lakefront Brewery, Inc.  - 1872 N Commerce St., Milwaukee
•Biloba Brewing Company  - 18720 Pleasant St, Brookfield
•Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery  - 740 N Plankinton Ave, Milwaukee
•The Fermentorium  - 7481 Highway 60, Cedarburg
•The Explorium Brewpub  - 5300 S 76th St, Ste 1450A, Greendale
•Delafield Brewhaus  - 3832 Hillside Dr, Delafield
•MobCraft Beer  - 505 S 5th St, Milwaukee
•Brewfinity Brewing Company  - N58W39800 Industrial Rd Ste D, Oconomowoc
•Public Craft Brewing Company  - 716 58th St, Kenosha
•Milwaukee Brewing Company  - 613 S 2nd St, Milwaukee
•Company Brewing  - 735 E Center St, Milwaukee
•Enlightened Brewing Company  - 2018 S 1st St, Milwaukee
•Urban Harvest Brewing Company  - 1024 S 5th St, Milwaukee
•Big Head Brewing Co.  - 6204 W State St, Wauwatosa
•St. Francis Brewery & Restaurant  - 3825 S. Kinnickinnic Ave, St. Francis
•Sprecher Brewing Company  - 701 West Glendale Avenue, Glendale
•District 14 Brewery & Pub  - 2273 S Howell Ave, Milwaukee
•Water Street Brewery  - 1101 N. Water Street, Milwaukee
•Milwaukee Ale House  - 233 North Water Street, Milwaukee
•Water Street Brewery  - 3191 Golf Road, Delafield
•R' Noggin Brewing Co  - 6521 120th Ave, Kenosha
•Lithia Brewing Company  - 825 Schoenhaar Dr., West Bend
•Bavarian Bierhaus  - 700 W Lexington Blvd, Glendale
•Pabst Milwaukee Brewing  - 1037 W Juneau Ave, Milwaukee
•Riverside Brewery And Restaurant  - 255 South Main St., West Bend
•Chameleon Brewing  - 701 West Glendale Avenue, Glendale
•Miller Brewing Co.  - 3939 West Highland Boulevard, Milwaukee

Thanks for this, WJ.

I was out enjoying a couple of beverages with friends today and Milwaukee came up as a subject. They knew I went to Marquette and asked what the craft beer scene was like there. I had to fess up and say that I did not know because I haven't been back there in a few years. So now you've answered for me. Wow ... that's some list.

We moved from Chicago to Charlotte in 2010. When we got here, there were 2 breweries. There are 50. A 25-fold increase in only 8 years! Amazing.

I'd say my goal is to try them all, but a new one opens every 5 minutes so that makes it tough!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2018, 03:38:04 AM »
But should he read the JournalSentinel?

So Vogue gives Brew City a needed shot in the arm....and leave it up to the hometown newspaper to feature how Milwaukee, SE Wisconsin, and Madison all lag far behind MINN and the Twin Cities on internet speeds.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2018, 08:38:04 AM »
It’s hard to keep track of what really still counts as craft beer anymore.

It seems like good ones either get too big to be considered “craft” for very long or get bought by one of the big conglomerates. Is Sprecher small enough to still be considered a craft brewery?

Craft is a misleading brewery label as that just means any brewery that makes less than 6,000,000 barrels/year. Craft is often confused with "micro-brewer" but that label is limited to less than 15,000 barrels, anyone that falls between the 15K and 6MM is then a "regional" craft brewery.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2018, 08:59:59 AM »
Switching off the craft beer angle for a second.  One of the things that MKE historically struggled with was the fact that nobody ever left and nobody ever entered.  That had the effect of having the locals get a bit too myopic.  You know, like complaining that parking downtown was $5 and that they needed to reserve more than 15 minutes to get from their driveway to their seat at the Bradley Center or Miller Park.  The more recent influx of outsiders has finally allowed Milwaukeeans to better appreciate just how great they've got it.  It's truly a special place, especially if you can get away in the winter for a break from the weather.

When I left in 1984 I didn't think I'd ever be back.  Don't feel that way at all anymore.   

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2018, 09:19:37 AM »
As was Wasatch Brewery in Utah, 1986.  Greg is an MU alum. Plus, he pokes the Mormons with his Polygamy Porter and Evolution Ale.

“Where’s the beer? Where are the breweries?” Those were among the first thoughts Greg Schirf had after moving to Utah from Milwaukee in the early 80’s. Incredibly, drinking and brewing were all but forbidden. Greg took matters into his own hands and did what any self-respecting midwesterner would do: He started a brewery. Wasatch was the very first brewery in Utah – and one of the first craft brewers in all of the U.S. – brewing award-winning brews since 1986.

In 1988, Greg Schirf proposed another bill to the Utah Legislature making brewpubs legal in Utah and opened the first brewpub at the top of historic Main Street in the resort town of Park City. Wasatch continues to misbehave, turning out naughty beer after naughty beer year after year.

https://www.wasatchbeers.com/

"Polygamy Porter... Take some home to the wives!"

It's my favorite non-MU t-shirt in my entire wardrobe.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2018, 09:31:11 AM »
The more recent influx of outsiders has finally allowed Milwaukeeans to better appreciate just how great they've got it.  It's truly a special place, especially if you can get away in the winter for a break from the weather.

Agree 100% - as long as we stipulate that "winter" in Beertown begins on Halloween and ends on Mother's Day.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2018, 10:02:11 AM »
Agree 100% - as long as we stipulate that "winter" in Beertown begins on Halloween and ends on Mother's Day.

It's going to work out perfect for us Lenny.  Chick will need to be honest on our taxes with 6 months plus 1 day in Nevada.   :)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2018, 10:21:49 AM »

Honestly, I think the winter doesn't really become unbearable until mid-January through May....obviously not great, but with the holidays and fun winter activities not being boring yet plus the ability to work from home on snowy days I really enjoy all months in Milwaukee except half of January, all of February, April and a good part of May (March Madness cures all in March).

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2018, 10:43:37 AM »
Here's a nice little nugget of wisdom for all y'all to ponder:

There's no such thing as "cold."  Cold doesn't actually exist.  Cold is merely a descriptor for a relative lack of heat.  Heat is something.  Heat exists.

So when you complain about cold, you're really complaining about wanting more of something you don't have (and never will if you don't get off your keyster), which is pretty much tantamount to being an envious, ungrateful, petulant 3-year old in a playroom full of toys.

Which also probably explains why there's no shortage of generosity, kindness and gratitude in Minnesota.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2018, 11:27:21 AM »
Honestly, I think the winter doesn't really become unbearable until mid-January through May....obviously not great, but with the holidays and fun winter activities not being boring yet plus the ability to work from home on snowy days I really enjoy all months in Milwaukee except half of January, all of February, April and a good part of May (March Madness cures all in March).

Plus you know eng that chick is going to look at the hoops schedule and put together winter trips to maximize #mubb games.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2018, 11:43:53 AM »

There's no such thing as "cold."  Cold doesn't actually exist.  Cold is merely a descriptor for a relative lack of heat.  Heat is something.  Heat exists.

So when you complain about cold, you're really complaining about wanting more of something you don't have (and never will if you don't get off your keyster), which is pretty much tantamount to being an envious, ungrateful, petulant 3-year old in a playroom full of toys.

Which also probably explains why there's no shortage of generosity, kindness and gratitude in Minnesota.

That's like saying global warming is just increasing entropy.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2018, 12:23:09 PM »

Maybe he saw it in Rocket's office.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2018, 05:25:49 PM »
"Polygamy Porter... Take some home to the wives!"

It's my favorite non-MU t-shirt in my entire wardrobe.

The first time I saw that beer, their slogan was "One just isn't enough".
Have some patience, FFS.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2018, 07:16:28 PM »

Unless you're from outside of Minnesota. 

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2018, 07:18:06 PM »

Yeah, but I'm trying to figure out how this is a bad thing. (Except for brewery owners who are late to the game and undifferentiated.)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2018, 08:53:54 PM »

Minnesota Nice is about as "nice" as it comes.  Makes South Dakota Nice seem out right New York-ish.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2018, 09:45:34 PM »
The first time I saw that beer, their slogan was "One just isn't enough".

That idea is old.

When I was a kid ...

Schaeffer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one.

Schaeffer's pleasure doesn't fade even when your thirst is done.

The most rewarding flavor in this man's world, for people who are having fun,

Schaeffer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2018, 09:50:22 PM »
Be wiser, buy Geiser-----potato chips, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2018, 02:20:00 PM »
Schlitz the beer that made Milwaukee famous, Schmidts beer ( a local Philly beer) parodied that slogan with Schmidts the beer that made Milwaukee jealous.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2018, 10:47:49 AM »
Schlitz the beer that made Milwaukee famous, Schmidts beer ( a local Philly beer) parodied that slogan with Schmidts the beer that made Milwaukee jealous.

The same Schmidts that was made famous by an MU alum?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2018, 12:50:58 PM »
Minnesota Nice is about as "nice" as it comes.  Makes South Dakota Nice seem out right New York-ish.

Minnesota Nice is a marketing ploy for people to avoid pointing out the citizenry's severe passive aggressiveness.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2018, 01:09:19 PM »
Minnesota Nice is a marketing ploy for people to avoid pointing out the citizenry's severe passive aggressiveness.

This
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2018, 01:32:35 PM »

I worked with those mofos for 3 1/2 yrs,  I know MN Nice.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2018, 03:35:04 PM »
If JB is an example of Minnesota nice.....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2018, 12:51:58 PM »

I like the Norwegian outlook:

"THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS BAD WEATHER, ONLY BAD CLOTHES”

Once you've properly invested in winter clothing, it can become a magical season.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2018, 10:08:43 PM »
It's going to work out perfect for us Lenny.  Chick will need to be honest on our taxes with 6 months plus 1 day in Nevada.   :)

There's an app for that...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.orlandosentinel.com/business/technology/os-bz-taxbird-app-20180123-story,amp.html

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2018, 09:36:06 AM »
Agree 100% - as long as we stipulate that "winter" in Beertown begins on Halloween Labor Day and ends on Mother's Independence Day.

FIFY

feedback