collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: British Open Thread  (Read 12176 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
British Open Thread
« on: July 18, 2018, 11:21:59 PM »
Tiger is primed and ready to finally break through and win another major. The Swing looks good .  Was just watching the Golf Channel and they said Tiger intends to use his 2 iron frequently and has the degree of loft changed from 20 to 17 degrees.

Looking forward to an outstanding tournament.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: British Open Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 02:38:18 AM »
Tiger is primed and ready to finally break through and win another major. The Swing looks good .  Was just watching the Golf Channel and they said Tiger intends to use his 2 iron frequently and has the degree of loft changed from 20 to 17 degrees.

Announcers just stated the avg winner's age for the last 8 OPEN tournaments was 35 as opposed to high20s for the other 3 majors...this stat, plus his love for links golf and very firm fairways (hence, his wild driver stays in bag) bodes well for him. He recently added a new, heavier and "hotter" putter to help him deal with these slower greens, which has been his Achilles heel over the years {among other things ;-) }. After tiring of the constant Tiger talk, even when he's out of contention, I must say that the game could use him making a run or two at the majors. He's paid his dues and appreciates his fans more than ever. I'm rooting for him.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 03:51:59 AM »
LOL, we're doing this again?  Its nice that Tiger is healthy-ish, and seems to be less of an a**hole than in the past, but come on.  He hasn't contended since the Valspar for anything.  Non-factor at the Masters, MC at the US Open, decent finish at the Players, but again, wasn't anywhere close to the leader, same at the National a few weeks back and that was a soft field.  To say he is primed and ready is ignoring both the last decade, as well as the even more relevant recent history.

Carnoustie is playing pretty wild, so it should be an interesting tournament regardless.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 07:16:33 AM »
  ok blokes-"i have a tip that can take 5 strokes off anyone's game-it's called an eraser"

arnold palmer

ok, even though i don't drink anymore-what would be some over-used, often stated golf terms heard during a round that'll keep the less than casual fan in the game- i'll start-

he's got plenty of green to work with

left himself with a lot of work to do

he got away with one

that's not gonna hurt him

here's a couple more goofy ones-  a yassar arafat-uglu and in the sand

an o.j. simpson-he got away with that one

my favorites-rickie fowler, paterick reed, henry stenson
my sleepers-paul casey, nicolas coelsaerts, retief goosen

don't...don't don't don't don't

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 08:36:03 AM »
The Open.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 09:01:11 AM »
LOL, we're doing this again?  Its nice that Tiger is healthy-ish, and seems to be less of an a**hole than in the past, but come on.  He hasn't contended since the Valspar for anything.  Non-factor at the Masters, MC at the US Open, decent finish at the Players, but again, wasn't anywhere close to the leader, same at the National a few weeks back and that was a soft field.  To say he is primed and ready is ignoring both the last decade, as well as the even more relevant recent history.

Carnoustie is playing pretty wild, so it should be an interesting tournament regardless.

Wether he's in it on Sunday or not, Tiger brings in viewers. I know I probably wouldn't be watching The Open if Tiger wasn't participating.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 10:53:29 AM »
Wether he's in it on Sunday or not, Tiger brings in viewers. I know I probably wouldn't be watching The Open if Tiger wasn't participating.

While I think it’s silly, I understand that. But there’s a difference with that and people continually suggesting he’s gonna be a contender or favorite EVERY major. Cause of the golfer he was a decade and countless surgeries ago

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 11:11:42 AM »
Rocket - Coelsaerts is a really fun sleeper pick. I remember him tearing it up a couple years ago, then didn't hear from him again.  Has he just been playing in the Euro/Asian tour events? Always a couple of those guys that do well at the Open but just don't play a lot in the States.

I picked Fleetwood in my Open pool - he seems to hang in there well on courses that play crazy and can really score when the course is giving the players a few strokes. I also think Paddy Harrington might surprise and be a fringy leaderboard guy over the weekend.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 04:17:51 PM »

Tied for 32nd, 5 strokes off the pace.  He'll probably make the weekend this time.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 05:32:51 PM »
Rocket - Coelsaerts is a really fun sleeper pick. I remember him tearing it up a couple years ago, then didn't hear from him again.  Has he just been playing in the Euro/Asian tour events? Always a couple of those guys that do well at the Open but just don't play a lot in the States.

I picked Fleetwood in my Open pool - he seems to hang in there well on courses that play crazy and can really score when the course is giving the players a few strokes. I also think Paddy Harrington might surprise and be a fringy leaderboard guy over the weekend.

ABSOLUTELY!  i watched him sneak up and "pants" us at the ryder cup at medinah.  his putting just took the wind out of us.  it was like-who is this guy?? 

i have fleetwood teamed up with colsaerts, casey, goosen, dj and charl in my fav draft kings line up-not so good after round 1.  i thought i had a golden lineup

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 06:47:26 PM »
Tiger was 2-under through 4 when I left home ... to go play golf.

If y'all are interested, I struggled on the front 9 in my first round in 3 months, but I parred 4 of the 6 holes I played on the back before leaving to meet a coupla friends for some beers.

I probably won't make the cut, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 07:21:12 PM »

If y'all are interested, I struggled on the front 9 in my first round in 3 months, but I parred 4 of the 6 holes I played on the back before leaving to meet a coupla friends for some beers.

MU82’s swing looks great, primed to break through. Heavier putter and better exit velocities on his lofted wedges. Played contending golf down the stretch this afternoon. Def a contender for the Senior British Open.  8-)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 07:30:38 PM »
MU82’s swing looks great, primed to break through. Heavier putter and better exit velocities on his lofted wedges. Played contending golf down the stretch this afternoon. Def a contender for the Senior British Open.  8-)

Shows what you know ... my swing blows!

But I do drive it pretty well and I'm a good putter.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 08:53:20 PM »

those windmill holes are a bitch eyn'a?  plus the stimp's gotta be like 18 or so...like putting on concrete...wait... ;)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 09:46:57 PM »
those windmill holes are a bitch

How the hell did you know I was playing in Holland?!?!?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 08:21:12 PM »
Tiger even par after 36 holes . He is in good position to win. Hitting the ball well with the 2 iron. Needs two solidly under par rounds this weekend.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 08:26:02 PM »
Tiger even par after 36 holes . He is in good position to win. Hitting the ball well with the 2 iron. Needs two solidly under par rounds this weekend.

He's six back with tremendous talent in front of him. He's done enough to make the weekend, but like the Players, he's likely too far back already.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 09:39:11 PM »

He made the cut.

He is not in any more "good position to win" than dozens of other golfers, including many who have actually ... well ... won something in the last decade.

I'm glad he made the weekend. Golf is more interesting when that's the case. He won't win.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 09:42:46 PM »
Neck is increasin' in girth doe, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 09:56:45 PM »
Tiger has never won a major without being in the top 5 after 36 holes.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »
If Tiger can go out early and post 68 or better Saturday the players ahead of him will likely falter as they did in his prime. Then it will be anyone’s tourney on Sunday . Tiger will stick with his conservative strategy and grind out the win ,Nicklaus style ,by being the last guy standing.
                       ---Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 11:46:41 PM »
careful of kooooch and zach

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2018, 06:16:24 AM »
If Tiger can go out early and post 68 or better Saturday the players ahead of him will likely falter as they did in his prime. Then it will be anyone’s tourney on Sunday . Tiger will stick with his conservative strategy and grind out the win ,Nicklaus style ,by being the last guy standing.

Like in his prime? Tiger has never mounted a comeback you're describing in a major win before.

I want only a few things more than a Tiger win, but let's stay realistic.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2018, 10:02:12 AM »
Like in his prime? Tiger has never mounted a comeback you're describing in a major win before.

I want only a few things more than a Tiger win, but let's stay realistic.

Some of these putts are vintage Tiger.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2018, 10:39:18 AM »
How are some of your tree limbs feeling this morning?  A little weaker than yesterday?  :)