[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: McAdams Lives - Continues to Take On Lovell  (Read 5805 times)

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
McAdams Lives - Continues to Take On Lovell
« on: July 11, 2018, 05:13:04 PM »
Per the WI Supreme Court decision, MU will reinstate McAdams. His most recent blog topics have covered current former MU student, Alex Ruiz, who has been expelled over a Snapchat post. Does MU have the right to expel students, yes. Did Ruiz's actions warrant such punishment? I do not believe so.

Will this result in another lawsuit against the university?

GGGG

• All American
Re: McAdams Lives - Continues to Take On Lovell
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 05:17:34 PM »
Per the WI Supreme Court decision, MU will reinstate McAdams. His most recent blog topics have covered current former MU student, Alex Ruiz, who has been expelled over a Snapchat post. Does MU have the right to expel students, yes. Did Ruiz's actions warrant such punishment? I do not believe so.

Will this result in another lawsuit against the university?

As long as they followed proper procedures they shouldn’t have a problem.

But they followed proper procedures in dismissing McAdams and the kangaroo court reinstated him anyways. So who knows?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 05:20:27 PM »
Something tells me employment law is a bit more nuanced than education law. 

Don't know anything about this Ruiz case, but I've never heard of a student who successfully sued his/her university over arbitrary code of conduct enforcement (that didn't have elements of AA or EO).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 05:26:14 PM »
As long as they followed proper procedures they shouldn’t have a problem.

But they followed proper procedures in dismissing McAdams and the kangaroo court reinstated him anyways. So who knows?

We get it... You believe McAdams should be fired agaiiiinnnn for doxing another student. This time, Alex Ruiz.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 05:28:29 PM »
Well it seems like John will now take any opportunity to embarras Lovell any chance he gets. Unfortunately this could get nasty. It will be interesting if John will be able to teach any classes going forward as I'm not sure that is included in the settlement.

http://mu-warrior.blogspot.com

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 05:30:29 PM »
The photo in question, which was released to media, depicts Ruiz and three of his friends (none of whom are Marquette students) pointing an airsoft gun at a black doll alongside the caption, “Chuuch,” which Urban Dictionary defines as slang for “Amen.”

Ruiz told Campus Reform that the photo was taken in a different state years before he ever enrolled at Marquette, adding that the doll was not intended to have racial connotations, and was simply something that one of the boys was known to carry around with him regularly.

The boys referred to the doll as “Bill,” and Ruiz’s father described it to Campus Reform as being similar to “a troll which people carry around.”

A college student who carries a doll around with him in itself should get one expelled.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 05:33:17 PM »
Something tells me employment law is a bit more nuanced than education law. 

Don't know anything about this Ruiz case, but I've never heard of a student who successfully sued his/her university over arbitrary code of conduct enforcement (that didn't have elements of AA or EO).

Not arguing that Ruiz has a strong case. As you have pointed out, MU probably has a lot of precedence to support the expulsion. Generally speaking, MU students are not entitled to many rights at all.

Given that the former student is an immigrant, seems like another bad publicity move in the court of public opinion.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 05:34:01 PM »
We get it... You believe McAdams should be fired agaiiiinnnn for doxing another student. This time, Alex Ruiz.

No I don’t. He’s no longer a student.

And I will pretty much never shut up about how the Court screwed Marquette for political reasons. So let me preach the truth to you or ignore me. Your choice.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 05:35:44 PM »
Racist or not, a kid this stupid doesn't belong on Marquette's campus. Devalues all our diplomas.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 05:55:43 PM »
MU messed up in the first place.. then, after the Supreme Court opinion was released, took another misstep.

They will pay for it even more.

It's sad, but they need to shape up.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 05:59:09 PM »
Racist or not, a kid this stupid doesn't belong on Marquette's campus. Devalues all our diplomas.

Bashing the individual with out knowing anything about him.

By contrast, we are learning a lot about Lovell. At the moment, he devalues our diplomas more than anyone.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 06:11:59 PM »
Bashing the individual with out knowing anything about him.

By contrast, we are learning a lot about Lovell. At the moment, he devalues our diplomas more than anyone.

Actually I know plenty about him. He's the type of person who thinks it's funny to send strangers a photo of him and his friends holding a gun to a black doll's head with the equivalent statement of "Amen."
Then he's stupid enough to think people will believe that a teenage boy regularly carried around a doll of a black child dressed to look like a gangster. I mean ... do you buy that? Did you have many high school friends who carried dolls? Of course not. Besides being stupid, Mr. Ruiz is a liar.

Anyhow, all that may not be enough to declare him a racist - and I haven't done that - but it's easily enough to say he's an idiot.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 06:13:31 PM »
Actually I know plenty about him. He's the type of person who thinks it's funny to send strangers a photo of him and his friends holding a gun to a black doll's head with the equivalent statement of "Amen."
Then he's stupid enough to think people will believe that a teenage boy regularly carried around a doll of a black child dressed to look like a gangster. I mean ... do you buy that? Did you have many high school friends who carried dolls? Of course not. Besides being stupid, Mr. Ruiz is a liar.

Anyhow, all that may not be enough to declare him a racist - and I haven't done that - but it's easily enough to say he's an idiot.

Agreed.  Just stupid.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 06:22:22 PM »
Lovell is awesome.  He has handled all of this as well as you can.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 06:39:34 PM »

More plausible that the image was shared by multiple people over an extended time frame. Seems like you think that Snapchats are sent out to the masses at random (they are not). My understanding is the outcry to Lovell & Co. came from a small group of students (and faculty?) that did not even initially receive the Snapchat message. They saw it 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand etc.

Also, I'm not sure how old Ruiz is. If he is beyond 18 I would not characterize him as a "boy". As a student he may be beyond his teenage years, again, unsure. It seems like you are also unfamiliar with the ritual known as a "joke". We don't live in a vacuum, you can acknowledge that although you may lack it, sense of humor is subjective but exists. I'm not arguing the Ruiz is a great comic or "funny". I don't understand the point of the doll in the image in question either. The whole thing doesn't make sense and thus the joke just falls flat. Then again, I'm not the intended recipient of what was a private message.

Instead of this being a bad joke or just confusing... Marquette has decided to flex muscle and permanently banish Ruiz from campus. Does the crime fit the punishment? Not by my standards. MU has turned into a place where creative expression is completely unwelcome.

Marquette, stay because we hired you, leave because we fired you (for criticizing the administration)...no jokes allowed

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:52:56 PM by Blue Horseshoe »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 06:54:20 PM »
More plausible that the image was shared by multiple people over an extended time frame. Seems like you think that Snapchats are sent out to the masses at random (they are not). My understanding is the outcry to Lovell & Co. came from a small group of students (and faculty?) that did not even initially receive the Snapchat message. They saw it 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand etc.

Also, I'm not sure how old Ruiz is. If he is beyond 18 I would not characterize him as a "boy". As a student he may be beyond his teenage years, again, unsure. It seems like you are also unfamiliar with the ritual known as a "joke". We don't live in a vacuum, you can acknowledge that although you may lack it, sense of humor is subjective but exists. I'm not arguing the Ruiz is a great comic or "funny". I don't understand the point of the doll in the image in question either. The whole thing doesn't make sense and thus the joke just falls flat. Then again, I'm not the intended recipient of what was a private message.

Instead of this being just a bad joke, or just confusing... Marquette has decided to flex muscle and remove Ruiz permanently from campus. Does the crime fit the punishment? Not by my standards. MU has turned into a place where creative expression is completely unwelcome.

Marquette, stay because we hired you, leave because we fired you (for criticizing the administration)...no jokes allowed

Being racist is just a form of "creative expression" huh?  I guess whatever helps you sleep at night.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 06:58:50 PM »
Being racist is just a form of "creative expression" huh?  I guess whatever helps you sleep at night.

We get it, Everybody's racist and they must be locked in a cage. How do you sleep at night?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 07:05:47 PM »
No I don’t. He’s no longer a student.

And I will pretty much never shut up about how the Court screwed Marquette for political reasons. So let me preach the truth to you or ignore me. Your choice.

This should be your signature.

;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:07:34 PM by buckchuckler »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 07:18:07 PM »
A college student who carries a doll around with him in itself should get one expelled.

vandalism surely should warrant getting expelled from MU then too, eyn'a?

how come he wasn't able to write a paper and then tell them that was too much cuz of stress of workload or something like those vandals back in 10/2016...free speech?  as some of ya'll say-'merica??

"They covered over the display board with their own pro-abortion signs and tore up the blue and pink flags planted in the ground (representing boy and girl babies who had been aborted).

How were they punished? Each of the vandals was required to write a three page paper explaining how they acted irresponsibly. Two students refused to do this (claiming it was finals week), and they were given a semester probation."

https://fox6now.com/2016/10/18/pro-life-display-vandalized-at-marquette-university-this-is-exactly-the-place-where-this-dialogue-should-occur/
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 07:35:03 PM »
Lovell is awesome.  He has handled all of this as well as you can.

Chuuuuch

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 07:41:26 PM »
We get it, Everybody's racist and they must be locked in a cage. How do you sleep at night?

When you have to resort to hyperbole, your argument pretty much sucks.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 07:49:42 PM »
When you have to resort to hyperbole, your argument pretty much sucks.

When put in simple terms, your logic is incredibly flawed. Racism = posing with a doll that is a different skin color? Lumping that person (or 4 people in this case) together with real racists is simply offensive. Do you not see the disconnect?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 07:53:09 PM »

Instead of this being a bad joke or just confusing... Marquette has decided to flex muscle and permanently banish Ruiz from campus. Does the crime fit the punishment? Not by my standards. MU has turned into a place where creative expression is completely unwelcome.

It's awesome that you didn't even read the account of what happened McAdams is relying upon (which I'm sure it totally unbiased) and yet you come here pontificating about how awful Marquette acted.

"Seems like you think that Snapchats are sent out to the masses at random (they are not)./"

From McAdams's blog:
Alex and friends were playing a “game” in which they would randomly scroll through their phones while the “Apple Airdrop” function was on, which allows photos to be sent to all nearby devices without specifying a recipient

So they sent this photo out to everyone near by without specifying who. that is the very definition of sending it out at random. In fact, McAdams goes on to write:
"Sending photos to random people who happen to be connected to the same Wi-Fi hotspot is pretty dumb."

"If he is beyond 18 I would not characterize him as a "boy""
From McAdams' blog:
The photo was shot almost two years ago, with Enrique and some of his high school buddies and members of his soccer team.  The black doll was owned by one of Enrique’s buddies; he carried it around a lot.

The doll was supposedly owned and carried around more than two years ago by a kid in high school. Not an 18-year-old college student. A boy.

I mean, one would think you would at least read what happened before you came here condemning anyone.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 07:57:05 PM »

It shouldn’t be my choice. Honestly, your tactics are a great example of why I haven’t posted a lot of information on here I otherwise would have.

This board is supposed to be politics free, yet not only do you defy it, you announce your intentions.

Absolutely awful. Your type is the type that ignore rules and just shout, get in people’s faces, etc. (though not in person) and feel empowered by it. Sick.

I’m fine if Scoop wants to allow political commentary, but if based on the current rules people are allowed to say “eff the rules, I’ll be political!” and aren’t put on a timeout... yeeesh

Mods... #bansultan
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.