Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Feature on the LeFlore Rattlers  (Read 4185 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Feature on the LeFlore Rattlers
« on: January 16, 2008, 12:14:31 PM »
lots of Nick Williams here

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080116/SPORTS0102/801160422/1096

To his credit, Cousins says this isn't his team. He calls Williams a "man-child," as well as the team leader.

Williams says his game has changed dramatically this season since moving strictly to the off-guard slot after playing a lot in the paint last year.

Hughley raves about Williams' shooting ability, either in front of the 3-point line or beyond.

"He's got the prettiest mid-range jumper you ever want to see," Hughley said. " ... He's a throwback."
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:29:32 PM by NYWarrior »

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
Re: Feature on the LeFlore Rattlers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
Anyone know how big Nick Williams is these days, this article has him at 6' 5" and 215#, I was surprised he was listed that big.

Rivals has him at 6' 3" 185#
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=46800&Sport=2

Scout has him at 6'4" 200#
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2348524

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 02:09:09 PM »
Does anybody else get the sense that this guy will be Wes Matthews with a better jumper?  Or am I just that delusional?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 02:17:37 PM »
Does anybody else get the sense that this guy will be Wes Matthews with a better jumper?  Or am I just that delusional?

I share that delusion.  Especially after reading that line about how Nick is exclusively a 2G this year

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 02:52:26 PM »
Anyone know how big Nick Williams is these days, this article has him at 6' 5" and 215#, I was surprised he was listed that big.

Rivals has him at 6' 3" 185#
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=46800&Sport=2

Scout has him at 6'4" 200#
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2348524

From Eric Bossi he said he was 6-3 or 6-4 ish. Not 6-5.
But I like to throw handfuls...

bma725

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 03:23:29 PM »

People raved about Matthews' shooting in high school too, and we know how that turned out. 

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 04:11:19 PM »
I bet Williams will see less time next year than Wes. Wes is a very good athlete, but he is compared too often to the other 2 jrs who are more than likely NBA bound. Wes and Williams will help each other a lot next year Im sure

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 04:22:59 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love Matthews, I don't think Williams will get more PT than him next year, and I love the fact that he will practice with Matthews for a whole season.  I was just wondering if the expectations I had in my head were unwarranted or not. 

So, for those who have seen him play, how would you compare him to Matthews in terms of:

Shooting
Athleticism
Defense
Ballhandling
Passing
Head for the game

I realize these are difficult things to say if you've only watched one or two games, but I'm just looking for overall impressions.  I tend to be an optimist and believe every good thing I hear about a recruit, so I'd like to know where to set my expectations.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 05:14:12 PM »
Shooting: Williams
Athleticism: Matthews
Defense: Matthews
Ballhandling: Push
Passing: Williams
Head for the game: Matthews

As of right now, that's how I would rank. Williams played decent defense when I watched him, but honestly LeFlore doesn't give a crap about defense.

His shot is BY FAR better than Matthews who can't shoot well at all.

Ballhandling, Wes makes some mistakes, and Williams isn't perfect.

I feel that Wes doesn't do the best job passing the ball, but he has a high basketball IQ.

One thing we don't see from Wes is that he is a natural born leader.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 10:50:30 PM »

People raved about Matthews' shooting in high school too, and we know how that turned out. 

I might be in the wrong but I don't recall people raving about Matthews shooting in high school.  It was his athleticism, build and overall game that I remember.  I probably saw about a half dozen of his high school games and not once did I think he had a great jumper.  I have seen Williams twice so far and in this years version of Williams, he can definitely stroke the ball.  Williams will be a heck of a player in his own right during his career at MU.  I am very excited.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 09:30:53 AM »
Shooting: Williams
Athleticism: Matthews
Defense: Matthews
Ballhandling: Push
Passing: Williams
Head for the game: Matthews

As of right now, that's how I would rank. Williams played decent defense when I watched him, but honestly LeFlore doesn't give a crap about defense.

His shot is BY FAR better than Matthews who can't shoot well at all.

Ballhandling, Wes makes some mistakes, and Williams isn't perfect.

I feel that Wes doesn't do the best job passing the ball, but he has a high basketball IQ.

One thing we don't see from Wes is that he is a natural born leader.

Thanks for the input.  Hopefully Crean can get him to give a crap about defense.  I'm sure he will.  I can't wait to see Nick in uniform.

I agree with you about Matthews being a natural born leader.  For some reason I've had the feeling all year that he'll be joining the coaching staff at MU shortly after his career is over.  I can't explain it, just a hunch.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 10:01:11 AM »

I might be in the wrong but I don't recall people raving about Matthews shooting in high school.  It was his athleticism, build and overall game that I remember.  I probably saw about a half dozen of his high school games and not once did I think he had a great jumper.  I have seen Williams twice so far and in this years version of Williams, he can definitely stroke the ball.  Williams will be a heck of a player in his own right during his career at MU.  I am very excited.

When he committed there was a lot of talk about his shooting ability, and how he was supposed to be the shooter in the Big Three.  James and McNeal were the ones with all the slashing ability, and he was going to be the one staying beyond the arc and stretching defenses. 

Heck, his freshman year that didn't look like a bad proposition, he hit 42% or 43% of 3 pointers.

feedback