collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: World Cup Schedule  (Read 34987 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: World Cup Schedule
« Reply #250 on: July 15, 2018, 10:37:40 AM »
Yeaaaaa, sure was a penalty.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #251 on: July 15, 2018, 11:11:49 AM »
Anarchists on the field!!!!!!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #252 on: July 15, 2018, 01:12:22 PM »
Y'all are sleeping on France.

That run by Mbappe was electric.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🇫🇷🇫🇷🇫🇷🇫🇷🇫🇷🇫🇷

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #253 on: July 15, 2018, 05:33:46 PM »
Fun World Cup, certainly the best in my lifetime.

France and England are going to be going at it for years to come.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #254 on: July 16, 2018, 12:03:18 AM »
Hand ball?    Big call in that game. I do not pretend to understand soccer that well.  Seems many commentators don't like the call.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44841143
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #255 on: July 16, 2018, 06:44:19 AM »
Hand ball?    Big call in that game. I do not pretend to understand soccer that well.  Seems many commentators don't like the call.

Jealous Englishmen.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #256 on: July 16, 2018, 06:58:06 AM »

Some commentators are idiots. His hand was extended in an unnecessary manner and interfered with the path of the ball. I don't think it was intentional, but it was certainly awkward and substantial enough to warrant a penalty.

I think if the English want to whine, they have a better case with the Griezmann foul. I don't even think that was a dive, he just seemed to lose his footing. He was always going down, his feet came right out from under him. Should've been a play on.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #257 on: July 16, 2018, 08:19:30 AM »

You appear to be a big fan of appealing to authority.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #258 on: July 16, 2018, 09:11:06 AM »
Headline on JSO this morning:

"Hundreds watch the World Cup final in Shorewood"

Now that's headline that appeals to both sides of the great soccer debate.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #259 on: July 16, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »

+1, really shows some perspective on exactly how far away the US is from being a serious contender on the biggest stage. 

Honestly I think the graphic showing Mbappe's salary at 19 compared to KD, Lebron, and Bryce Harper, could be a huge advantage for the US.  If the kids that just have the gene combination to be a freak athlete realize that there is just as much money in soccer, we could start to produce some real talents at the international level.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #260 on: July 16, 2018, 09:43:01 AM »
Honestly I think the graphic showing Mbappe's salary at 19 compared to KD, Lebron, and Bryce Harper, could be a huge advantage for the US.  If the kids that just have the gene combination to be a freak athlete realize that there is just as much money in soccer, we could start to produce some real talents at the international level.

Athleticism has never been the problem for the USMNT. Technical ability and tactical understanding is where we lack. The infrastructure and development environment is what is so woefully behind.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #261 on: July 16, 2018, 09:56:53 AM »

I didn't see anything in England to suggest they are soon to be a legitimate force in international soccer. I'd be curious for the reasoning behind your opinion.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #262 on: July 16, 2018, 09:59:55 AM »
Athleticism has never been the problem for the USMNT. Technical ability and tactical understanding is where we lack. The infrastructure and development environment is what is so woefully behind.

You're half right.  The college vs no college dilemma that many prospects face in this country is one that really doesn't have a good solution, but our development up to the age of about 16 is on par with most of the rest of the world powers, even though the net should really be cast further to attract more prosepects, pay to play is stupid.  The problems arise because players can't move to European clubs until they turn 18 because of work visas.

It's no coincidence that our best prospects have dual citizenship, so they can go to Europe before they turn 18.  Pulisic has a Croatian passport, Lichaj has a Polish one, Novakovich has a British one, Antonee Robinson has a British one, Tim Weah has a Liberian one. 

As for my original point, there are a lot of things that can't be taught that players either have or don't have.  Mbpappe isn't that much better technically than some of our 19 year old, but he has the speed that so few prospects have.  Same with Deandre Yedlin for the US.  Pure athleticism also can't be overlooked.  I went to the same High School as Wesley, who by comparison to us is a freak athlete, and he is still the all time goal scorer in school history.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #263 on: July 16, 2018, 10:00:30 AM »

+100.

The "all the US needs are extraordinary athletes" argument has always been ill-informed.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #264 on: July 16, 2018, 10:02:49 AM »
I didn't see anything in England to suggest they are soon to be a legitimate force in international soccer. I'd be curious for the reasoning behind your opinion.

Youngest average age, recent success at the U19, and U21 World Cups suggests that the prospects will keep coming, increased funding into academies.  I wouldn't peg them as the favorites for 2022, but the future is definitely bright for the Three Lions.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #265 on: July 16, 2018, 10:10:08 AM »
+100.

The "all the US needs are extraordinary athletes" argument has always been ill-informed.

Coaching and development need to improve, but if someone with the pure athleticism that a Ezekiel Elliott, or Todd Gurley both have decided at a young age that they wanted to play soccer instead of football, and put in the same work that they did to become world class football players, they would both be playing professionally somewhere.  The fact that Pogba, or Mbappe couldn't have chosen American Football, or Baseball, or Hockey, or to some extent basketball, helps attract more prospects. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #266 on: July 16, 2018, 10:18:08 AM »

Yea, as DJOver kinda said they're really young. Kane is only 24, Alli 22.

The oldest people they have in their side are Ashley Young and Kyle Walker, and Ryan Sessegnon is probably already as good as him at 17, and Michael Keane will be a very good center back soon.

That doesn't even account for guys like Grealish, RLC, Alexander-Arnold, Rashford, etc.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #267 on: July 16, 2018, 10:23:00 AM »

The oldest people they have in their side are Ashley Young and Kyle Walker, and Ryan Sessegnon is probably already as good as him at 17, and Michael Keane will be a very good center back soon.

That doesn't even account for guys like Grealish, RLC, Alexander-Arnold, Rashford, etc.

I was kinda surprised that he didn't get more game time.  He really impressed me. 

Phil Foden and Jadon Sancho are also considered to be two of the best teenagers in the world, and they're both at very good academies.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #268 on: July 16, 2018, 11:03:37 AM »

We'll see. England hypes their youth players more than anyone else by far. If every advertised "next big thing" from England materialized, you could shut down the World Cup. For every Kane that comes good, there are a dozen Jack Rodwell, Andy Carroll, Nathaniel Chalobah types that never come good.

England beat up on two weak teams in group play before skating through a relatively easy path to the semifinals (apologies to Colombia, but on the whole I'm sure you agree they weren't as good as 2014 and were still a whisker away from ousting England).

They get a big boost from the "It's Coming Home" marketing gimmick, but I thought they were a clear step behind teams like Belgium and France. Had they managed to win their group, they at most make the quarterfinals.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #269 on: July 16, 2018, 11:09:58 AM »
We'll see. England hypes their youth players more than anyone else by far. If every advertised "next big thing" from England materialized, you could shut down the World Cup. For every Kane that comes good, there are a dozen Jack Rodwell, Andy Carroll, Nathaniel Chalobah types that never come good.

England beat up on two weak teams in group play before skating through a relatively easy path to the semifinals (apologies to Colombia, but on the whole I'm sure you agree they weren't as good as 2014 and were still a whisker away from ousting England).

They get a big boost from the "It's Coming Home" marketing gimmick, but I thought they were a clear step behind teams like Belgium and France. Had they managed to win their group, they at most make the quarterfinals.

Talent wise, Colombia was way better but there wasn't that unity or motivation 4 years ago.

I don't know, I think Southgate is a game changer. He changed the culture for "the impossible job" in a year. Would have been interesting to see what Southgate could have done with Scholes and Beckham.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #270 on: July 16, 2018, 11:14:29 AM »

Really? Didn't see anything?
I understand they caught some breaks to get to the semis, but they were for all intents the youngest team in the tournament (along with France and Nigeria) and most of their best players are under 25 and largely will remain in their prime for the next full WC cycle.
Obviously there are no guarantees and things could go downhill, but to suggest there is literally nothing to suggest that squad won't be really good for a while is silly.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #271 on: July 16, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »

France will be good for a while, but looking at a team like Belgium, their golden generation will likely only have Euro 2020 before they're too old.  Alderweireld, Kompany, Vertonghen, Witsel, Chadli, Mertens, Dembele are all either 30+ now, or will be by 2020.  They'll still have Courtois, Hazard, De Bruyne, and Lukaku, which is a core that most would kill for, but quality depth will be an issue.

England have Pickford, Dier, Stones, Maguire, Trippier, Jones, Alexander-Arnold, Lingard, Sterling, Alli, Loftus-Cheek, Kane, and Rashford, will all still be in their 20s for Euro 2020, and most will still be in their 20s for Qatar 2022.  England also won the U-17 World Cup in 2017, and the U-20 World Cup in 2017 so the big name prospects have pulled their weight against the prospects from other traditional powerhouses. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #272 on: July 16, 2018, 11:23:57 AM »
Headline on JSO this morning:

"Hundreds watch the World Cup final in Shorewood"

Now that's headline that appeals to both sides of the great soccer debate.

There were thousands at Nomad Nacional in Walker's Point. I'd guess between 2-3K. They have an outdoor patio and 5/6 rooms/bars and every single one was packed wall to wall.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #273 on: July 16, 2018, 11:26:35 AM »
Talent wise, Colombia was way better but there wasn't that unity or motivation 4 years ago.

I don't know, I think Southgate is a game changer. He changed the culture for "the impossible job" in a year. Would have been interesting to see what Southgate could have done with Scholes and Beckham.

But did he actually "change the culture"? Perhaps expectations were so low that positive results in and of themselves would be considered momentous? And being in a group with the worst team in the Cup and the fourth worst team in the Cup helped. So too did Colombia missing their creative lynchpin.

England are not a creative program. They had the second fewest shots on target in the tournament. They were overly reliant on set pieces. And their leading scorer feasted from the penalty spot and disappeared in the three biggest consequences games they played.

They came unglued in the 65th minute against Croatia and, as rightly pointed out by the Croatians, reverted completely to long ball strategy which is the very definition of English footballing culture. Clearly Southgate couldn't change their mindset when it mattered most.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #274 on: July 16, 2018, 11:32:30 AM »
Really? Didn't see anything?
I understand they caught some breaks to get to the semis, but they were for all intents the youngest team in the tournament (along with France and Nigeria) and most of their best players are under 25 and largely will remain in their prime for the next full WC cycle.
Obviously there are no guarantees and things could go downhill, but to suggest there is literally nothing to suggest that squad won't be really good for a while is silly.

England was maybe the seventh or eighth best team or so at this tournament. They were fortunate to play on the weaker side of the bracket and fortunate some of the stronger sides crashed in the groups (specifically Germany).

I don't know...I've been watching England a long time. Every few years, we hear about all these great EPL players that will take the world by storm. Then Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Owen, Rio, Hart, etc go to play internationally and they are exposed for the average players they are. Generation after generation, we hear how this will be the one to bring it home, then when they play real competition, they fold. This year, they played three legit games. Belgium twice and Croatia. They lost all three. They nearly lost to Colombia with James on the bench.

Maybe this team will be different, but there's a reason Football hasn't come home since 1966, and it's because England is pretty freaking average. The only reason they get the hype they do is because the EPL is the best marketed league in the world and requirements for teams carrying domestic players overinflates their value. Sure, they produce the occasional legitimate world class player like Beckham, but they are a long way from nations like France, Germany, Brazil, Spain, and the Netherlands that routinely produce world class players.

feedback