collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: any hot stock suggestions going forward?  (Read 4843 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
any hot stock suggestions going forward?
« on: June 03, 2018, 06:50:30 AM »
as i was just playing around here, doing a little "shopping" if you will, i came across an interesting biotech company called heron therapeutics(hrtx).  does anyone know anything about them?

they have a number of products out there-sustol and cinvanti, both of which work to treat acute nausea post chemo therapy.  the newest, HTX-011 has A LOT of upside-it's on a fast track designation, it's in phase III trials...what is it?  a NON-opiod post op pain reliever.   it's a fixed dose combo of a local anesthetic- bupivacaine with an anti-inflammatory meloxicam(nsaid)  it reduces the post-surgical inflammation/acidity which allows the influx of the bupivacaine for additional pain relief

3 promising products with 2 of them already in use with FDA approval

current price $33.85

anything promising to take the place of the opioids in todays environment has got to be worth it's weight x A LOT

don't...don't don't don't don't

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
Re: any hot stock suggestions going forward?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 08:38:21 AM »
Anacott Steel

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 09:28:53 AM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 09:34:11 AM »
Too bad Heisey isn't here.  He could give his advice and you could do the opposite.

Profit!!!

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 09:57:09 AM »
as i was just playing around here, doing a little "shopping" if you will, i came across an interesting biotech company called heron therapeutics(hrtx).  does anyone know anything about them?

they have a number of products out there-sustol and cinvanti, both of which work to treat acute nausea post chemo therapy.  the newest, HTX-011 has A LOT of upside-it's on a fast track designation, it's in phase III trials...what is it?  a NON-opiod post op pain reliever.   it's a fixed dose combo of a local anesthetic- bupivacaine with an anti-inflammatory meloxicam(nsaid)  it reduces the post-surgical inflammation/acidity which allows the influx of the bupivacaine for additional pain relief

current price $33.85

anything promising to take the place of the opioids in todays environment has got to be worth it's weight x A LOT

If they ever go public, or are bought, and you like biotech.  I like the promise of Promedior.  Has some technology that could end any fibrosis related diseases.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 10:37:53 AM »

current price $33.85

I liked them in August, hey

I’m close to pulling the trigger on a couple of dogs... CPB & PDCO. Dividends, not gonna die soon and prices have been p1ssed on. Close to but time on both
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 04:11:44 PM »
I'm all in on this company.

Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 05:23:13 PM »
If they ever go public, or are bought, and you like biotech.  I like the promise of Promedior.  Has some technology that could end any fibrosis related diseases.

thanks forget!!  trying to see where bristol-myers is with their interest in promedior. also, the last report i see on line is that they had positive phase II data on PRM-!%!

i realize horeshoe's post was his version of teal, but he may actually be onto something-steel here in the USA may already be on the rise given the discussion to improve the infrastructure and to focus more on US products, including steel.  i haven't been following those companies specifically, but i'm sure they are all poised for  growth and some of that growth going forward is already built in to their stock prices

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 05:32:01 PM »
I liked them in August, hey

I’m close to pulling the trigger on a couple of dogs... CPB & PDCO. Dividends, not gonna die soon and prices have been p1ssed on. Close to but time on both

CPB may have more room to fall with their debt load for buying Snyder's-Lance.  Highest in the CPG sector, and they have stated no share repurchases in order to pay that down (including tax windfall).

Core business except Pepperidge Farm is an anchor. Will family sell the Soup division? Or to 3G?  Doubtful. How low is low for them?  New CEO will be signal. If they go outside, buy.  Rumor is leader is an insider.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 05:32:09 PM »
I'm willing to sell 1% of my future, post-tax earnings for $1 million cash.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 03:47:34 PM »
Bought into DHI recently.  Feeling good about that. 

TAP is another one that's tanked well below its true value.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 03:53:29 PM »
Theranos IPO

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 04:21:17 PM »
Theranos IPO

I still have no idea how Theranos isn't the biggest story/scandal of 2018 so far. People have literally died as a result of Theranos lies and corporate mismanagement. IMO it is a bigger scandal than the Cambridge Analytica story, and yet relative crickets.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 04:50:37 PM »
I still have no idea how Theranos isn't the biggest story/scandal of 2018 so far. People have literally died as a result of Theranos lies and corporate mismanagement. IMO it is a bigger scandal than the Cambridge Analytica story, and yet relative crickets.

This some sort of front corporation for Thanos? If so, agree.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 05:23:04 PM »

Not to mention, how did Holmes not get jail time.  There is a serious problem in this country if people are in jail for 10+ years for drug possession, but Holmes can commit such massive fraud, which can be said to have led to deaths, and receive zero jail time.

Not to mention she still benefits from the wealth/fame associated with her crimes and will likely make a small fortune selling her life story.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 06:08:38 PM »
Not to mention, how did Holmes not get jail time.  There is a serious problem in this country if people are in jail for 10+ years for drug possession, but Holmes can commit such massive fraud, which can be said to have led to deaths, and receive zero jail time.

Not to mention she still benefits from the wealth/fame associated with her crimes and will likely make a small fortune selling her life story.

Because white collar crimes and, especially, criminal acts involving the ultra rich don't get punished like others

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 09:09:55 PM »
Because white collar crimes and, especially, criminal acts involving the ultra rich don't get punished like others

I am no law expert in this area but I watch "American Greed" on CNBC and there have been several 15+ year sentences for those committing white collar crimes.  I don't know why Holmes has been spared but there have been some pretty hefty sentences for various fraud cases in the past 15 years.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 06:03:45 AM »
I am no law expert in this area but I watch "American Greed" on CNBC and there have been several 15+ year sentences for those committing white collar crimes.  I don't know why Holmes has been spared but there have been some pretty hefty sentences for various fraud cases in the past 15 years.

bernie madoff, bernard ebbers,  enron people, dennis kozlowski, martin shkeli, tony rezko, would tony peters(aka-the milwaukee kingpin) be considered "white collar" crime? ;D

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 08:00:40 AM »

bernie madoff, bernard ebbers,  enron people, dennis kozlowski, martin shkeli, tony rezko, would tony peters(aka-the milwaukee kingpin) be considered "white collar" crime? ;D

Yeah, but those folks are more the exception than the rule. It does seem incongruous that white collar crimes which could negatively impact infinitely more people in various ways are punished at low rates and low "cost" to the offenders than are things like simple drug possession where the only victim is likely the possessor.

But I digress....neither of these things is investable.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 08:50:11 AM »
I'm all in on this company.

Y? Dey make condoms or somethin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 09:54:31 AM »

Y? Dey make condoms or somethin', hey?

Have some patience, FFS.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 10:54:31 AM »

I am sure criminal charges will come at some point against her. I know there have already been civil charges and not to mention sanctions imposed by the SEC.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »

current price $33.85

One of my hobbies is researching and investing in the biotech space. I do focus mostly on the oncology space but do look at other areas as well.

Heron Therapeutics is an interesting company, but their success really hinges on HTX-011. Their other drugs are not really taking hold with drs and haven't produced a whole lot of revenue at this point. They want their shareholders to approve a new issue of I believe 50 million shares which will dilute existing shareholders. Of course the plan would be to raise cash for the HTX-011 drug trials. The need for non-opioid options is huge and it could be a blockbuster drug for them.

Keep in mind that they are not the only ones working on that particular issue. Pacira Pharmaceuticals already has a non-opioid alternative that is approved by the FDA for post surgical pain relief. They also have a partnership with JNJ too to market their drug delivery system(Exparel). However, it may be that HTX-011 works better and can get the lion's share of the market. Either way I think the market is large enough for more than just one company to do well.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 11:26:25 AM »

Heron Therapeutics is an interesting company, but their success really hinges on HTX-011. Their other drugs are not really taking hold with drs and haven't produced a whole lot of revenue at this point. They want their shareholders to approve a new issue of I believe 50 million shares which will dilute existing shareholders. Of course the plan would be to raise cash for the HTX-011 drug trials. The need for non-opioid options is huge and it could be a blockbuster drug for them.

I know little to nothing of the biomedical/pharma market space so this is going to be an ill informed question. I agree that a non-opoid is in high demand/need but how do you see that market playing out with the slow legalization of Marijuana within the US which I've been told is a fairly good as a pain killer. If marijuana is legalized in the US does that impact the overall market significantly?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 06:39:53 PM »
One of my hobbies is researching and investing in the biotech space. I do focus mostly on the oncology space but do look at other areas as well.

Keep in mind that they are not the only ones working on that particular issue. Pacira Pharmaceuticals already has a non-opioid alternative that is approved by the FDA for post surgical pain relief. They also have a partnership with JNJ too to market their drug delivery system(Exparel). However, it may be that HTX-011 works better and can get the lion's share of the market. Either way I think the market is large enough for more than just one company to do well.

the HTX-011 is a really interesting concept-NSAID's are a very effective pain reliever if taken properly.  most people just want to nibble around the edges.   i hear everything from "i have a high tolerance to pain" or "i don't like taking pills" or "it upsets my stomach" and on and on.  but the NSAID's work directly at the site of pain and work to eliminate the cause of the pain-prostoglandins, bradykinins etc.  but for the meloxicam to open the door to a long-lasting anesthetic without the CNS affect is brilliant...i just wonder how long before someone finds a way to abuse this one

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 01:50:56 AM »
Without looking too far into this stock, I'd personally be concerned to make a true investment in it. But then again, I'd be pretty concerned to do so with any small pharmaceutical company with investigational drug(s) only. They're gone at the first sign of any bad news, making it a dramatic boom/bust stock, and you will not be the first to know that bad news is coming. Speculative traders lose a ton of money on these kinds of companies.

That said, no harm at all in putting a lose-able amount on it (akin to a bet). I partake in that kind of fun using my Robinhood account all the time.

Also: from a quick glance at the chart, I'd say wait at least a couple days to see if it goes down any further, especially if it goes down past 29.75.

Anyways, there are probably actual professionals on this board that would give better advice!

Edit: actually it looks like they do have a couple money-making drugs, but of course, the company is losing a fortune yearly, as it is. The gist of what I said is still true since the hopes of the company rest in a single investigational drug - the stock will plummet with any bad news.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:02:04 AM by D'Lo Brown »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 06:19:39 PM »
Cryptocurrencies seem to be a steal right now....

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 03:11:53 PM »

Full disclosure here, I own Pacira in my personal stock account.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 07:14:11 PM »
Full disclosure here, I own Pacira in my personal stock account.

holy schnikees turtle-that was a $120/sh stock back in 2015!

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 08:36:48 PM »
holy schnikees turtle-that was a $120/sh stock back in 2015!

Yeah, it got clobbered in 2015. After Exparel was approved the stock took off to levels that were way too high. They had some issues with the FDA regarding label expansion and issues with their marketing practices. I had my eye on it back then but never bought any as it was climbing to levels that I knew were unsustainable.

I bought it at a much lower price at the end of last year (31.30/share).
That's why I tell everyone to be very careful when investing in biotech, especially if they are looking at companies that don't have any approved drugs. While I'm comfortable with the risks associated with it, it is the one sector where you better do your due diligence and have an iron stomach. For my clients, I've had them invested in the XBI since 2011. That's been a great investment for us.

I've had alot of good luck with biotechs, but I've taken some lumps too.
Biotechs and pharma cos I have lost money on(AXON, GILD - I still own, DNDN, SRPT(Sarepta)-sold too soon, GSK).

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 08:44:02 PM »
Tort do you recommend Pacira now? ($38.50)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2018, 05:18:30 PM »
FOX!

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2018, 11:38:36 AM »
Tort do you recommend Pacira now? ($38.50)

It does have a lot of good momentum right now. They were given FDA approval to use Exparel for patients undergoing upper extremity surgery, such as rotator cuff repairs and total shoulder arthroplasty back in April. I think the price should continue to go higher from here but if earnings or guidance disappoint on their next earnings conference call it will likely get whacked.

But as I mentioned earlier, I usually avoid making recommendations on individual biotech companies. If biotech investing interests you, buy the XBI or the IBB. Those are both solid etfs, the XBI invests in smaller firms and more of a managed approach, the IBB gets you the universe of biotech as it mirrors the Nasdaq Biotechnology Index.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2018, 11:57:58 AM »
FOX!

It looks like the market believes Comcast and Disney will get into a bidding war and one of them will overpay.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2018, 05:35:28 PM »

maybe the party is over??

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/theranos-founder-elizabeth-holmes-steps-down-ceo-205207698.html?soc_trk=gcm&soc_src=338950e1-cae3-359e-bfa3-af403b69d694&.tsrc=notification-brknews

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2018, 10:25:55 AM »
2 Months Ago : Nintendo  ;D
Today : Nintendo  :-\