[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A different coaching challenge  (Read 5157 times)

tower912

• All American
A different coaching challenge
« on: June 01, 2018, 07:48:51 AM »
The rotations have been self limiting during the first four years under Wojo.  This season may be something else entirely.  How do you find time for this many good players?  And where does a coach go to find others who have had this all too rare problem?  Who is Wojo going to for advice?  Olympic coaches?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: A different coaching challenge
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 07:52:31 AM »
The rotations have been self limiting during the first four years under Wojo.  This season may be something else entirely.  How do you find time for this many good players?  And where does a coach go to find others who have had this all too rare problem?  Who is Wojo going to for advice?  Olympic coaches?

I'd ask Jay at Nova or Calipari
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 09:01:57 AM »

Let the players decide. Via effort, performance & matchups (and any past promises made).
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 09:07:18 AM »
I'd think the first stop for Wojo is Wojo and his assistants.  Probably the second,  third, fourth, and fifth option as well.  After that, his Duke coaching tree including coach K.  Obviously no one will know the talent and skills of the MU players like the MU coaching staff.     

Of course this is a great problem to have, but these things often seem to find their own answer when a player or two really steps up and distinguishes himself. 

What returning player(s) and/or freshman distinguish themselves and separate from the others?  There seem like a lot of options and a lot of question marks and unknowns.  But I am pretty confident that this will mostly solve itself.  Maybe I should say I am hopeful, which means, that we have a player or two that step up to a much higher level, which is what it takes to have a really good team.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 10:18:28 AM »

So far we have two good players: Markus and Sam. The rest will sort itself out.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 11:26:07 AM »

Add Morrow to that list.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 11:40:23 AM »

Chartouny is at least good in what is probably one of three best non power six conferences. Morrow was good on Nebraska and has had a year to work. I'd say there's four players proven to be good
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 11:59:30 AM »
Not be overly semantical but there is ability to be good in stretches or in a game and there is consistently good.

IMO

Proven to be consistently good is:
-Sam
-Markus
-Chartouny

Proven to be good but not consistently yet:
-Cain
-Sacar
-Morrow
-Elliot

Uncertain on how to classify:
-Heldt
-John

Yet to be determined:
-Bailey
-Joey
-Ike

Thoughts?

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 12:06:17 PM »
Not be overly semantical but there is ability to be good in stretches or in a game and there is consistently good.

IMO

-Sam
-Markus
-Chartouny

-Cain
-Sacar
-Morrow
-Elliot

-Heldt
-John

Yet to be determined:
-Bailey
-Joey
-Ike

Thoughts?

Ed was pretty consistent his last year playing.  His averages went down slightly after coming back from injury, but even after he cam back the only game that he had 15 or less minutes was one that he fouled out of.  I would more likely put him in the uncertain category because we don't know how well he'll work in Wojo's system.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 12:09:34 PM »
This is something I stopped worrying about when I realized we'll always have transfers whether we have 7 eligible players or 13. Just play the best players. Don't worry about playing everyone. It's all going to sort itself out anyway. Heck, last year we had a kid transfer mid-season who had started every game.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 12:36:21 PM »

IMO

-Sam
-Markus
-Chartouny

-Cain
-Sacar
-Morrow
-Elliot

-Heldt
-John

Yet to be determined:
-Bailey
-Joey
-Ike

Thoughts?

Agree with most, but I would classify John as good but not consistently good and Heldt as consistently mediocre

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »
Agree with most, but I would classify John as good but not consistently good and Heldt as consistently mediocre

That's the thing with Heldt, I very much appreciate him but he is definitely the least talented player that gets significant minutes and that's not going to change.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 12:41:26 PM »
The only two guys for whom I am confident going into next year are Markus and Sam. And Sam is somewhat concerning only because he has shown a tendency to get lost in the crowd at times in some games.

I gotta believe Morrow, Joey and Sacar are going to be strong. But the rest depends on who fits well together. It's one thing, for example, to have Morrow and Heldt on the floor at the same thing. It's another to have folks working together. Some combinations gel. Some just don't.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 12:52:30 PM »
The only two guys for whom I am confident going into next year are Markus and Sam. And Sam is somewhat concerning only because he has shown a tendency to get lost in the crowd at times in some games.

I gotta believe Morrow, Joey and Sacar are going to be strong. But the rest depends on who fits well together. It's one thing, for example, to have Morrow and Heldt on the floor at the same thing. It's another to have folks working together. Some combinations gel. Some just don't.

I think the hope that we all have is he will be more aggressive as a upperclassman especially when he knows he’s truly one of the best if not best guys on the team.

If Sam realizes we prefer him shooting as much as possible. He could be scary.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Class71

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 12:53:38 PM »
Seems a bit premature to worry about this. How about we win a few games against real competition before we concern our selves with too much talent to manage? 
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 12:56:57 PM »
It's the law of the wolf pack. The players will determine the pecking order in practice.  It doesn't take long to determine their rank from 1 through 13. The players who can dominate and give Wojo the best chance to win will play.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 03:53:03 PM »
Seems a bit premature to worry about this. How about we win a few games against real competition before we concern our selves with too much talent to manage?

I'm not worried about it, but it's definitely an issue. I think there are 5 guys who will get healthy minutes (if healthy). Then there's another tier of a 3/4 who have a chance to get healthy minutes, and a few who will really have to perform well to get 'em. The possibilities of losing a player halfway through the school year and/or after the full year due to wanting more PT is very real.. I don't think you manage to that issue directly, but it's gotta be something you're thinking about.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 04:56:10 PM »
Feel the biggest area of improvement I've seen in Wojo's coaching has been his roster management.  Felt he was a train wreck Year 1 and 2.  Improved in Year 3.  Leveled off in Year 4.

In this upcoming year, there definitely will be challenges doling out minutes - and possibly could lead to a player or two being unhappy with their role.  At least there is enough depth at this point to endure losing a transfer (that can actually play.)  Losing Haanif last year wasn't much of a blow, as Sacar and Cain are better players with more upside.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 03:29:04 PM »
It's an interesting thing for us to talk about in June.

I'm not "worried" about it at all, though. The best players and the next group after that will sort it all out with their play.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »
There's an old football saying that coaches don't cut players, players cut themselves. Playing time really isn't any different. Play hard, do your job and you'll see the floor.

I also may take exception to the fact that MU has too many good players. I mean, if Villanova, Kentucky and Duke can figure it out year after year with actual superstar talent, it shouldn't be all that much of a challenge for Wojo. If you wanted to present the issue as too many unproven players, that'd be a different story.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 03:59:12 PM by MerrittsMustache »

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 01:25:43 PM »
There's an old football saying that coaches don't cut players, players cut themselves. Playing time really isn't any different. Play hard, do your job and you'll see the floor.

I also may take exception to the fact that MU has too many good players. I mean, if Villanova, Kentucky and Duke can figure it out year after year with actual superstar talent, it shouldn't be all that much of a challenge for Wojo. If you wanted to present the issue as too many unproven players, that'd be a different story.

This statement should be qualified - A players needs to be effective and contribute.  "Playing hard" alone is not enough.  If you are fielding a team of a bunch of try hard guys with limited skill "who do their job," well, you won't win many games.  We saw that Buzz's last year, and Wojo's first two years.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 02:12:35 PM »
This statement should be qualified - A players needs to be effective and contribute.  "Playing hard" alone is not enough.  If you are fielding a team of a bunch of try hard guys with limited skill "who do their job," well, you won't win many games.  We saw that Buzz's last year, and Wojo's first two years.

Wojo won 20games his second year exactly what part of that is not winning many games?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 02:14:34 PM »

Maybe their job is to contribute, be effective, and win games.  So no qualifier is needed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 02:40:54 PM by Lazar's Canadian Bacon Headband »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 02:22:12 PM »
Maybe there job is to contribute, be effective, and win games.  So no qualifier is needed.

He's just going down the same rabbit hole he normally does.  Don't follow him.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 04:19:03 PM »
Maybe their job is to contribute, be effective, and win games.  So no qualifier is needed.

Key words bolded.  That's a different statement than saying "play hard, do your job, and you'll see the floor."  Now granted, that does seem to be the litmus for getting playing time under Wojo, regardless of ability to contribute and be effective.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 04:28:47 PM »
Key words bolded.  That's a different statement than saying "play hard, do your job, and you'll see the floor."  Now granted, that does seem to be the litmus for getting playing time under Wojo, regardless of ability to contribute and be effective.

Your reading comprehension is lacking.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 06:42:09 PM »

Following your previous post, this wasn't the most predictable post ever...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 08:46:11 PM »
And here we go!
Goal is National Championship

feedback