2024 Transfer Portal by onepost
[Today at 10:09:20 PM]

Academic All Americans by Pakuni
[Today at 09:06:28 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Wire  (Read 10350 times)

Archies Bat

• All American
Re: The Wire
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 05:05:52 PM »

Bosch (on Prime as well) is the best cop show I have seen in years although I really, really liked the Shield. Justified is my guilty pleasure.

I'll second Bosch.  My wife and I were searching Amazon for something new, and just happened to pick it. Ended up watching all 4 seasons in a week.  It's not The Wire or Breaking Bad, but a solid second tier.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 05:19:32 PM »
I'll second Bosch.  My wife and I were searching Amazon for something new, and just happened to pick it. Ended up watching all 4 seasons in a week.  It's not The Wire or Breaking Bad, but a solid second tier.

Yup.. Also check out Goliath on Amazon with Billy Bob Thornton.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 05:44:20 PM »
I thought Sneaky Pete on Amazon was pretty good.  Just starting the 2nd season. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 05:58:54 PM »
I thought Sneaky Pete on Amazon was pretty good.  Just starting the 2nd season.

Really liked that show too. Season 2 is even better than 1.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 10:26:06 AM »
Really liked that show too. Season 2 is even better than 1.

Agreed.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2018, 04:48:23 PM »
Yup.. Also check out Goliath on Amazon with Billy Bob Thornton.

Good call, already looking forward to Season 2.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2018, 08:19:43 PM »
I think Six Feet Under is underrated, but I'm probably influenced by the fact that it was the first HBO series I watched from start to finish - even before Sopranos. I loved the macabre humor, and the acting. My favorite in a talented cast was Lauren Ambrose, who was absolutely perfect as the ever-put-upon teenage daughter Claire. Without giving away too much, the series finale was as good as any since Mary Tyler Moore! But sure, as a pretty picky consumer of great TV, I can easily admit that Six Feet Under is no Wire or Breaking Bad.

I wanted to second this. The finale of Six Feet Under was the best I've ever seen. Just brilliantly done. My only real gripe with the show was Brenda. I loved all the other characters and dynamics, but I really got sick of her and her family.

Regardless, great show and well worth the investment. Powerful cast, well written, and one of the rare shows that sticks the landing perfectly.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2018, 10:09:40 PM »
Started watching The Wire. McNulty has the best car ever made in the 90s, if you're in Dayton.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2018, 11:47:47 PM »
I wanted to second this. The finale of Six Feet Under was the best I've ever seen. Just brilliantly done. My only real gripe with the show was Brenda. I loved all the other characters and dynamics, but I really got sick of her and her family.

Regardless, great show and well worth the investment. Powerful cast, well written, and one of the rare shows that sticks the landing perfectly.

Funny you say that ... cuz I also hated Brenda!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2018, 01:39:24 AM »
herc is one of the best tv characters ever.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2018, 07:26:48 AM »
Finished The Wire. Season 4 is top notch television. Season 5 was a dud.

I'm solidly putting it behind Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2018, 10:44:34 AM »
Bosch (on Prime as well) is the best cop show I have seen in years although I really, really liked the Shield. Justified is my guilty pleasure.

The Bosch series of books by Micheal Connelly is the only series I've read nearly completely over the last 10+ years.  Unfortunately, I watch each season in about a week and have to wait another year to see the next season.  My definition of bitter sweet.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2018, 10:10:33 PM »
Finished The Wire. Season 4 is top notch television. Season 5 was a dud.

I'm solidly putting it behind Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

I can't argue against this.

It would have been nice if The Wire had wrapped up more strongly.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2018, 06:15:26 AM »
I can't argue against this.

It would have been nice if The Wire had wrapped up more strongly.

Honestly, it left a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing. I was actually looking forward to posting a more in-depth recap of the series once I finished, but that last season ruined it.

My two biggest issues. How does super jacked Daniels have a wife that looks more like his mom in season 1? How is Rhonda bedding McNulty and then Daniels?

I just found out Wallace was Michael B. Jordan, wow wow wow.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2018, 03:46:23 PM »
Honestly, it left a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing. I was actually looking forward to posting a more in-depth recap of the series once I finished, but that last season ruined it.

My two biggest issues. How does super jacked Daniels have a wife that looks more like his mom in season 1? How is Rhonda bedding McNulty and then Daniels?

I just found out Wallace was Michael B. Jordan, wow wow wow.

Well, now I think you're going a little overboard. Season 5 came nowhere near living up to the rest of the series, especially Season 4, which was one of the best single seasons any television show has ever had. But compared to most other stuff on TV, Season 5 wasn't dreadful. It just wasn't good enough. All IMHO.

Jordan was one of the many kid actors who shined those last 2 seasons (especially Season 4). He was really, really good. And he's grown up to be a pretty darn good actor, too.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2018, 05:22:22 PM »
Well, now I think you're going a little overboard. Season 5 came nowhere near living up to the rest of the series, especially Season 4, which was one of the best single seasons any television show has ever had. But compared to most other stuff on TV, Season 5 wasn't dreadful. It just wasn't good enough. All IMHO.

Jordan was one of the many kid actors who shined those last 2 seasons (especially Season 4). He was really, really good. And he's grown up to be a pretty darn good actor, too.

Maybe, but I think season 5 was a rush job to tie up all the loose ends, all the arcs and leave no questions. The questions is something that still surrounds the Sopranos and it seems like The Wire went opposite.

You going to tell me the Omar death was satisfying and worthy of the character? Yeah, no. Bodie? Same thing.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2018, 06:57:31 PM »

Jordan was only in season 1.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2018, 09:57:15 PM »
Jordan was only in season 1.

Shyte. You're right. Got the character he played confused with the one played by Tristan Wilds (Michael) in Seasons 4 and 5.

Me so stoopid sometimes. Thanks for the correction.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2018, 08:22:21 AM »

Actor Titus Welliver is a local guy.  Local Magazine ran a short interview with him recently if you're interested.

http://www.connecticutmag.com/arts/titus-welliver-plays-l-a-detective-bosch-but-his-heart/article_663542c6-27c7-11e8-b30e-3fb79ee5bcac.html
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 08:53:37 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2018, 01:15:15 AM »
Actor Titus Welliver is a local guy.  Local Magazine ran a short interview with him recently if your interested.

http://www.connecticutmag.com/arts/titus-welliver-plays-l-a-detective-bosch-but-his-heart/article_663542c6-27c7-11e8-b30e-3fb79ee5bcac.html

He was really good and easy to hate on Sons of Anarchy

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2018, 10:49:13 AM »
He was really good and easy to hate on Sons of Anarchy

Yep, real d-b on SoA.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2018, 03:16:38 PM »
I think this is the third Scoop thread re: The Wire over the past 8 years.  Evidently it’s good.  I still haven’t gotten around to it, but it’s good.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2018, 03:05:56 PM »
The Wire is amazing.  The "F*ck only" dialogue scene between Jimmy McNulty and Bunk is one of my all-time favorites.  So many great characters.

Agree with MU82, though I have not (yet) watched 6 Feet Under or Homeland, and I am 3 episodes into season 2 of Deadwood.

Cannot wait for the finale of The Americans.  Lots to resolve...so little time.   

I think one of the reasons I enjoy The Americans so much is "nostalgia" for the era.  I took Professor Farmer for Soviet politics and imagine him to have been an agent for one or both sides and spent the Spring of '84 semester at American U studying international relations, which mostly meant the cold war.
I was taking Ken Farmer's class when Brezhnev died.  He spent the rest of the semester talking about him.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2018, 03:11:13 PM »
I may have been in that class with you...

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2018, 09:00:21 AM »
The Wire is a must watch. The first few episodes can be tough to figure out who everyone one is but stay with it. Amazing.

I watched the first episode last weekend and it definitely took a bit of work to keep straight who everyone is.