[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cord cutting revisited  (Read 91965 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: Cord cutting revisited
« Reply #500 on: February 28, 2021, 12:21:35 PM »
You'd have to go through a VPN to get local games.

Ugghhhhhh.  Thanks for the responses here everyone. I'm seeing how we got to a 20 page thread on trying to piece together cord cutting solutions that work.  To get the major sports channels plus Brewers games in market, I'm looking at:

Sling + MLB.TV + VPN - or - cable. It was enough to make me say "fine screw it I'll just get the damn cable" but then when I tried to just buy it in defeat, they make it unbearably difficult and unintuitive. So I gave up on that too and am now tempted to pay more for the Sling/MLB.TV/VPN option just to not have to deal with a cable company.  At least spurning the cable company feels like another small cut leading to their eventual demise, which is a small moral victory I suppose.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #501 on: February 28, 2021, 12:23:59 PM »
I have Hulu Live, and MLB.TV. Does this mean I have to figure out what a VPN is- then change it- in order to watch the Cubs game on Herr Ricketts’ crappy network in the Chicagoland area?

Quoting so this doesn't get buried on the previous page. 

I think so? It seems MLB.TV only gets you games outside your regional sports network.  So you have to get a VPN to trick your MLB.TV stream to think you're somewhere else.  What a clusterf*ck.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #502 on: February 28, 2021, 12:26:03 PM »
Does cable even solve the issue? I thought Fox Regionals weren’t on all cable providers at the moment.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #503 on: February 28, 2021, 12:30:12 PM »
Quoting so this doesn't get buried on the previous page. 

I think so? It seems MLB.TV only gets you games outside your regional sports network.  So you have to get a VPN to trick your MLB.TV stream to think you're somewhere else.  What a clusterf*ck.
Thanks. Woof; I’m just trying to remain a MLB fan.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #504 on: February 28, 2021, 12:54:23 PM »
Quick bump here for the first day of spring training games.  Does a subscription for a streaming service that includes FS1 (I'm looking at sling orange+blue) then allow you access to your local Fox Sports Regional by signing into the FSGo app?  So if I sign up for Sling that includes FS1, can I login to FSGo and watch Brewers games that way if I'm in the FSWI footprint? Sorry if this has been covered in this thread already.

As Shoothoops said, you can not.
Different networks are FS1/FS2/BTN and FS Wisconsin. Soon to be Balley Sports Wisconsin.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 01:00:04 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #505 on: February 28, 2021, 12:58:37 PM »
YouTube TV has added MLB.TV to its Live TV lineup. Now, YouTube TV subscribers can choose the MLB.TV add-on to get Live streaming access to all regular season out-of-market games.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

🏀

• All American
« Reply #506 on: February 28, 2021, 01:16:13 PM »
Thanks. Woof; I’m just trying to remain a MLB fan.

You’d think the League would be concerned with the amount of in-market fans that won’t be easily able to watch games this season.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #507 on: February 28, 2021, 01:47:51 PM »
You’d think the League would be concerned with the amount of in-market fans that won’t be easily able to watch games this season.

Same thing I wondered. I think if people are not able to watch their team, they will be much less invested in them and thus, less likely to attend games (when that is allowed).

🏀

• All American
« Reply #508 on: February 28, 2021, 02:21:03 PM »
Same thing I wondered. I think if people are not able to watch their team, they will be much less invested in them and thus, less likely to attend games (when that is allowed).

Not a real good time for franchises to be disconnecting from fans.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #509 on: February 28, 2021, 03:03:13 PM »

Yep. The easiest solution here really seems to be for MLB.TV to have an optional home-team premium charge, where they charge a premium that it then sends back to each regional sports network based on the territory of the subscriber.  If those revenue streams are so important to the teams, MLB should be willing to do a little legwork to keep them intact while not allowing them to prevent fans from you know, watching the goddamn games.  I'd be willing to pay it just to avoid dealing with all this other crap.

Pretty sure that's what ATT&T does - they charge an $8.49/month regional sports network premium.  MLB.TV should give you the option to pay an extra $25 or whatever for the season long package and then just pay $25 back to each regional network to avoid blackouts.  If ATT&T can figure it out, I don't know why MLB can't - ATT&T doesn't even have a horse in the race.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #510 on: February 28, 2021, 06:32:52 PM »
YouTube TV has added MLB.TV to its Live TV lineup. Now, YouTube TV subscribers can choose the MLB.TV add-on to get Live streaming access to all regular season out-of-market games.

That doesn't help for in market games though. Right?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #511 on: February 28, 2021, 06:35:24 PM »
That doesn't help for in market games though. Right?
Correct.
-Bill Walton

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #512 on: March 01, 2021, 12:50:08 AM »
VPN isn't all that difficult guys.  In fact, it's a pretty good security measure if you ever use "public wifi".  You should never use those or hotel wifi without some sort of VPN.  Just sayin...

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #513 on: March 01, 2021, 05:50:37 AM »

8-)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #514 on: March 01, 2021, 08:23:52 AM »
Does cable even solve the issue? I thought Fox Regionals weren’t on all cable providers at the moment.

I have Optimum Cable TV.

I can watch YES Network on FOX Sports GO with free access due to my Optimum subscription.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #515 on: March 01, 2021, 09:23:37 AM »
VPNs .. are hit and miss though.  Obviously, some do work .. but I've tried a variety (mostly for my Arby's dark web sites) and YoutubeTV, Hulu, Netflix usually detect the VPN and stop service.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #516 on: March 01, 2021, 09:37:57 AM »
Sorry I'm such a rube with more questions.  I honestly gave these a quick google but reached that tipping point where if anyone has quick answers, its probably more efficient than me spending more time trying to blindly figure these out:

Are VPNs per device, or do I get login credentials that I can use across devices?

Are all devices VPN compatible? I'm sure its pretty inuitive to set up a VPN on a computer, but say (hypothetically) a frustrated gentleman wanted to stream MLB.TV though his Samsung smart TV to get local games otherwise only available with a cable subscription.  Is there a way to run the TV's internet access through the VPN?

Any recs for VPNs that folks have tried and liked? In particular and in light of Topper's comment, anyone ever used one with MLB.TV?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #517 on: March 01, 2021, 07:44:25 PM »
Sorry I'm such a rube with more questions.  I honestly gave these a quick google but reached that tipping point where if anyone has quick answers, its probably more efficient than me spending more time trying to blindly figure these out:

Are VPNs per device, or do I get login credentials that I can use across devices?

Are all devices VPN compatible? I'm sure its pretty inuitive to set up a VPN on a computer, but say (hypothetically) a frustrated gentleman wanted to stream MLB.TV though his Samsung smart TV to get local games otherwise only available with a cable subscription.  Is there a way to run the TV's internet access through the VPN?

Any recs for VPNs that folks have tried and liked? In particular and in light of Topper's comment, anyone ever used one with MLB.TV?

https://nordvpn.com/blog/setup-vpn-router/

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #518 on: March 17, 2021, 09:47:38 AM »
YouTube TV added seven more channels to its lineup, finally bringing viewers the rest of the ViacomCBS channels promised last summer. The new channels added are BET Her, Dabl, MTV2, MTV Classic, Nick Jr, NickToons, and Teen Nick.
-Bill Walton

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #519 on: March 17, 2021, 10:04:12 AM »
YouTube TV added seven more channels to its lineup, finally bringing viewers the rest of the ViacomCBS channels promised last summer. The new channels added are BET Her, Dabl, MTV2, MTV Classic, Nick Jr, NickToons, and Teen Nick.

What are seven channels I will probably never watch, Alex?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #520 on: March 17, 2021, 10:25:39 AM »
What are seven channels I will probably never watch, Alex?
Correct. I watch a bit of MTV Classic this morning. Back to the 90's brought back some thoughts.  ;)
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
-Bill Walton

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #522 on: May 05, 2021, 04:48:48 PM »
VPN isn't all that difficult guys.  In fact, it's a pretty good security measure if you ever use "public wifi".  You should never use those or hotel wifi without some sort of VPN.  Just sayin...

Not difficult, but can definitely hinder performance, which is an issue for HD streaming.