[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cord cutting revisited  (Read 90203 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
Re: Cord cutting revisited
« Reply #375 on: April 05, 2020, 09:41:52 AM »
Dumb question:  Do you really need to run a streaming service through a VPN?

Well done!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #376 on: April 05, 2020, 10:58:51 AM »
When you are out of the USA 300 days per year, yes.

What kind of Upload bandwidth do you have at your home? 

If it's north of 25 .. here's what I'd do:  Set up a router on your home network that can run an SSH tunnel.  Then on your laptop, you use PuTTY to open an SSH tunnel back .. configure your browser to use that SSH tunnel, and bob's your uncle.

Now all your traffic is routed back home, then to Netflix, and Netflix thinks you are back in Chicago.

I remember doing this when I had 1.5megs up bandwidth .. that was not great, but it worked.

I tried to find a nice tutorial on this .. found lots of techie ones, but this one might be ok:

https://www.addictivetips.com/vpn/how-setup-use-ssh-tunneling/

This is a decent how-to on setting up your laptop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiJ2uiFEQQE

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #377 on: April 05, 2020, 01:43:21 PM »
I tried to get YTTV but it won't work through my VPN. I googled around for a VPN that's supposed to work with it and ExpressVPN was highly recommended.  Bought it.  Set it up.  It works great.  Subscribed to YTTV... blocked. 

Because Fox Sports Go is also blocked  I missed several MU games last year. 

First solution is that MU needs to be in the top 4 in the league, so they don't end up on "Fox Sports South West Milwaukee Suburbs" and get on the real Fox Sports.  But given that's not going to happen for a couple more years (sorry, had to) I'm still looking for an offshore TV solution.

Any ideas?

Try this?
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=56601.msg1041657#msg1041657

🏀

• All American
« Reply #378 on: April 05, 2020, 07:10:10 PM »
Try this?
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=56601.msg1041657#msg1041657

YTTV has kind of closed this loop. Require a cell phone to confirm location.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #379 on: April 06, 2020, 03:22:14 PM »
Earlier this year I used the app Fake GPS to watch an MU game while out of the country on YTTV.  Worked great.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #380 on: May 08, 2020, 10:13:13 AM »
ViacomCBS and Google announced a multi-year distribution agreement to bring 14 ViacomCBS channels to YouTube TV, joining the CBS stations on the service. BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, TV Land and VH1 will launch on YouTube TV this summer, the company announced.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #381 on: September 30, 2020, 05:46:16 AM »
YouTube TV announced it will no longer carry Fox Sports Regionals beginning October 1st when its extension with Sinclair expires.

This is on the heels of a recent 30% price increase.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #382 on: September 30, 2020, 07:57:22 AM »
YouTube TV announced it will no longer carry Fox Sports Regionals beginning October 1st when its extension with Sinclair expires.

If Fox Sports goes, so do I.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #383 on: September 30, 2020, 08:32:37 AM »
I rushed into a change last time since we were in the middle of basketball season. At this point, I'll wait it out until we know what the MU schedule looks like. If they have games on FSWI, and there's no deal in place, then I'll switch. At this point, there's no content I need to see on there with no Bucks/Brewers games.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #384 on: September 30, 2020, 08:44:49 AM »
YouTube TV is the 2020 Presenting Sponsor of the NBA Finals. Half of the league's teams' local broadcasts are on Fox Sports Regionals.

Also, half of MLB and NHL teams have their local broadcasts televised on Fox Sports Regionals.

The local FS Regional and plus channels also carry college football, other college sports, as well as some of the current French Open Tennis Coversge for 2020.

Dish, Sling, Fubu, and YTTV will be without Sinclair's FS Regionals.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 09:11:30 AM by shoothoops »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #385 on: September 30, 2020, 09:01:00 AM »
I'm going to keep illegally streaming sports until they figure out a customer-centric way to deliver. Sports channels are living in the dark ages.

All live sports should be on Twitch. I'm surprised that Amazon hasn't made a play yet.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #386 on: September 30, 2020, 09:07:04 AM »

Yeah, I could sorta understand sticking with YTTV when they had the Fox Sports networks (assuming we really have college hoops). But without FS, YTTV is no better than one of the Sling packages.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #387 on: September 30, 2020, 09:12:34 AM »

Yeah, I could sorta understand sticking with YTTV when they had the Fox Sports networks (assuming we really have college hoops). But without FS, YTTV is no better than one of the Sling packages.

FS1 and FS2 won't be affected by this.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #388 on: September 30, 2020, 10:48:15 AM »

Heh, heh, heh.  You have to support Sinclair.  Heh, heh, heh.

Hulu still has the FS regionals.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #389 on: September 30, 2020, 03:13:25 PM »
Nothing to worry about yet. The RSN's won't be missing any NBA or NHL for months. Sound like those leagues won't start until 2021.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #390 on: September 30, 2020, 05:02:30 PM »
Cutting the cord at work, but have to go Hulu because YTTV only supports 3 streams at once. Planning to go YTTV at home if the work experiment is a success.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #391 on: September 30, 2020, 08:37:59 PM »
Hulu for the $55 plan, has only two streams at once. $10 more you can get the unlimited screens from the home network.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 08:45:07 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #392 on: October 01, 2020, 11:07:37 PM »

Yeah I'm not feeling real happy about having YouTube TV these days.  But the antenna we had at home sucked when we had SlingTV so I missed local channels and YouTubeTV was a big draw for that for us.

As others have said, there's not much on the FoxSports Regional networks I'd want to see now but if the college basketball season actually happens and there's no deal in place, I'll probably look into changing.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #393 on: October 02, 2020, 12:43:29 PM »
Yeah I'm not feeling real happy about having YouTube TV these days.  But the antenna we had at home sucked when we had SlingTV so I missed local channels and YouTubeTV was a big draw for that for us.

As others have said, there's not much on the FoxSports Regional networks I'd want to see now but if the college basketball season actually happens and there's no deal in place, I'll probably look into changing.
Even with college basketball, the RSN's are not a major place holder for those games. Other than HULU Live, Sling, YTTV and Fubo don't carry the RSN's.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #394 on: October 02, 2020, 01:12:43 PM »
AT&T Now and AT&T TV I believe also have the Fox Sports Regional channels.

Half of MLB, NHL, NBA is carried by Fox Sports Regionals in local markets.

In some markets local college sports teams are also covered via Fox Sports Regionals.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #395 on: October 22, 2020, 09:32:50 AM »
Hulu Live Sinclair RSN's are being dropped.
https://help.hulu.com/s/article/sinclair-rsn?language=en_US
-Bill Walton

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #396 on: October 22, 2020, 09:46:25 AM »
Hulu Live Sinclair RSN's are being dropped.
https://help.hulu.com/s/article/sinclair-rsn?language=en_US

Crazy. Gonna end up pushing us all back to cable.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #397 on: October 22, 2020, 10:00:33 AM »
Wall Street Journal article on Sinclair RSN's.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/creditors-brace-for-possible-debt-restructuring-at-sinclair-sports-unit-11603235294

The NHL has previously said it would like to start January 1st. So that would be the earliest major sport RSN affected.  The hope is that new deals will be in place in a few months with some. I don't see Dish/Sling ever getting them back, but I would have to think YTTV, Hulu Live etc...would need to make deals to keep some of their sports customers.

ESPN announced it is moving all feature writing and analysis content to ESPN+.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 10:35:30 AM by shoothoops »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #398 on: October 22, 2020, 11:13:49 AM »
Crazy. Gonna end up pushing us all back to cable.

Not me. I'm saving $65 per month and get all the sports networks (I need) with YTTV. I would miss the Brewers, yet April is long ways away.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #399 on: October 24, 2020, 10:23:02 AM »
Does anyone have Fubo TV right now?

My understanding is they don’t carry FS Regionals as well as TBS, TNT, TNT etc...which would be an issue with college hoops, NBA, MLB, etc...and no TC either.

Cost and channels seems pretty similar to YTTV. I need a variety of channels to please different interests.

Can get La Liga and other soccer on Fanatiz stream for $7.99 month, and HD quality seems fine.

What about DVR? YTTV is unlimited which is great, but I dislike that if you record a premium channel show or movie and you no longer subscribe to that channel, they block you from watching it. That’s ridiculous. In the past I could record anything, pay per view, premium channel etc on Satellite and it stayed there permanently.

I was previously able to watch Pac 12 Network for many years but almost no one has that. They are disastrously run.

Thoughts?

feedback