collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cord cutting revisited  (Read 90368 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Cord cutting revisited
« on: May 16, 2018, 04:19:00 PM »
Didn't feel like resurrecting the old thread. Curious as to anyone having gone the route I'm contemplating. Have DirecTV/AT&T for wireless, internet, and TV. Promotional pricing expires in July with DirecTV, I'm going to make a stab at negotiating a better deal but I'm seriously considering not even bothering and just killing DirecTV and going to Youtube TV. Yes, it's a skinny package and would lose a few channels one of us watches (Discovery, History, Lifetime, etc) but at $40/month it seems like a really great deal and actually expands the sports stations I get which is a big plus. So I have a couple of questions:

-Has anyone gone this route and seen any issues with their ISP increasing price, throttling your internet speed, etc?
-Any issues with lag or availability?
-Any issues with "making it work", I've been no uncertain terms that if I can't make it point and click for my significant other she'd rather just not have tv at all.
-Overall satisfied with the switch?

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Cord cutting revisited
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 05:21:06 PM »
Didn't feel like resurrecting the old thread. Curious as to anyone having gone the route I'm contemplating. Have DirecTV/AT&T for wireless, internet, and TV. Promotional pricing expires in July with DirecTV, I'm going to make a stab at negotiating a better deal but I'm seriously considering not even bothering and just killing DirecTV and going to Youtube TV. Yes, it's a skinny package and would lose a few channels one of us watches (Discovery, History, Lifetime, etc) but at $40/month it seems like a really great deal and actually expands the sports stations I get which is a big plus. So I have a couple of questions:

-Has anyone gone this route and seen any issues with their ISP increasing price, throttling your internet speed, etc?
-Any issues with "making it work", I've been no uncertain terms that if I can't make it point and click for my significant other she'd rather just not have tv at all.

If your preferred route is cord cutting, then start paying massive amounts of money to Congress to reverse the net neutrality decision.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 08:11:47 PM »
I switched to Hulu live about a month ago and I havent regretted my decision. I lost one channel of significance to me, but gained so much more. Especially in my wallet. YouTube TV is a solid option as well. I was debating between both of them.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 08:24:13 PM »

Glad you posted this, Eng.

Not that I can help, but I will be in the same situation in about 9 months when the 2-year deal is finished. I have already been doing research online, but the best info is from guys who have made the move to whatever it is they choose.

Hopefully, you will keep us informed of your situation/solution as you move forward. For me, it comes down to the sports packages. At least 90% of my DirecTV viewing is news or sports, so sports is really the deal breaker for me with any skinny package.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 08:27:55 PM »
Looks like DirectvNow just put in a VPN blocker.  It was working great from multiple overseas locations until this "upgrade".
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 10:26:16 PM »
Been using PSVue for the last 18+ months. Haven't thought about going back for any reason. I think I've missed two Marquette games each season, but go find a bar if you can for those.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 11:20:55 PM »
PSVue for me.

Although I have looked at doing this new spectrum choice tv for $21. (But they stupidly do not have a fireTv app)

PSVue has fs1 and also CBSSN. So all the MU games were televised last year for me.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 11:22:10 PM »
If your preferred route is cord cutting, then start paying massive amounts of money to Congress to reverse the net neutrality decision.

Nothing like providing the answer no one asked for.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 08:23:37 AM »
1) jes is axing for a timeout

2) I'm also interesting in this topic now that DirecTV has rolled out their DVR... I need sports and ID channel (and Fox News, duh). My situation is that I have a house and an apartment - I could use one account for both, yes? (I understand with DirecTV you get two simultaneous streams, or you can pay $5 for a third... so for me this seems like no problem).

I need to know any concerns I should have re: internet speed and suggestions on any particular TV & stream stick (nh) types. please halp

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 09:01:16 AM »

2) I'm also interesting in this topic now that DirecTV has rolled out their DVR... I need sports and ID channel (and Fox News, duh). My situation is that I have a house and an apartment - I could use one account for both, yes? (I understand with DirecTV you get two simultaneous streams, or you can pay $5 for a third... so for me this seems like no problem).

I need to know any concerns I should have re: internet speed and suggestions on any particular TV & stream stick (nh) types. please halp

Why? If someone makes a decision to "cut the cord" with regards to TV, they will be relying on their ISP for their content. ISPs will have a huge influence on speed, content, price once net neutrality is removed.

For example, someone with Comcast may see significant slowdowns with non-NBC sports channels. Or require extra cost to access channels outside their corporate partners.

It's all intertwined.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 09:48:22 AM »
Why? If someone makes a decision to "cut the cord" with regards to TV, they will be relying on their ISP for their content. ISPs will have a huge influence on speed, content, price once net neutrality is removed.

For example, someone with Comcast may see significant slowdowns with non-NBC sports channels. Or require extra cost to access channels outside their corporate partners.

It's all intertwined.

Oh no!!! Competition! I can’t imagine!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 11:26:30 AM »
Looks like DirectvNow just put in a VPN blocker.  It was working great from multiple overseas locations until this "upgrade".

cut the cord for DirectvNow when the service first came on line and have not regretted it a bit.  $30/month plus Netflix and that is all we need as a household.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 12:16:50 PM »

Thanks for your completely inaccurate assessment. Methinks you need to do a little more reading on the topic of ISPs, regional distribution and net neutrality.

Out of respect for those that wish to further discuss internet TV options, I'll leave this tangental topic.

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 12:48:30 PM »
Been a cord cutter for a while. I use Youtube TV and love it. All of the players offer free trials so if I were you I would try them all out (based on compatible device of course) and see which one you like. I tried psvue, hulu live, sling, direct tv now and youtube tv. I settles on youtube Tv because I strongly preferred the interface and fluidity over the competition and the unlimited cloud DVR. On that topic that is my only real complaint about the cloud DVR. With youtube tv is will automatically convert any recording to the on demand offering (complete with commercials you can't skip). Depending on the program you will have the option to watch the recording or the ondemand but due to licensing some of the shows go completely on demand. Not a huge issue though because the commercials are typically 15 seconds. 

I use it on my nvidia shield box in my family room, xbox in the basement and chromecast in bedroom. It is also now compatible with apple tv and roku.

Also, no consolidating all the media power to a couple ISP's is not "competition" wtf?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 01:05:49 PM »

No, pretty much the opposite.  But they might not have mentioned that on your preferred news station.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 01:06:52 PM »
Haven't had cable for about four years now.  Low maintenance though; I'm set with an HD antenna, Amazon Prime, and Netflix.  I, for one, have also welcomed our Google Fiber overlords.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 01:11:08 PM »
cut the cord for DirectvNow when the service first came on line and have not regretted it a bit.  $30/month plus Netflix and that is all we need as a household.

Glad to hear. I have been about to pull the trigger for about a week, and now that their DVR is up and running I'll probably go for it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 01:18:50 PM »
Anyone want to give the 3 minutes overview of DirecTVNow?>

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 02:07:11 PM »

2) I'm also interesting in this topic

1.  I'm hurt, Princess. I thought I was your No. 1 whipping boy.

2. No you're not.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 02:18:40 PM »
I looked at DirecTV Now, and while it has more channels (Youtube TV comes up a couple short) but it is pricier AND even the beta DVR seems way inferior to Youtube TV and I rarely watch anything other than sports live these days.

mueron, what is the real Youtube TV price? Says $40 a month, is it close to that actually once you factor in taxes, and anything else they take on.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 02:19:17 PM »
1.  I'm hurt, Princess. I thought I was your No. 1 whipping boy.

2. No you're not.

Gentlemen, you're both pretty.....can we talk about the original topic now?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 02:32:56 PM »
Do any others have as much live sports for watching Marquette games as YoutubeTV?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:03:48 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

MarqKarp

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 03:11:42 PM »
Do any others have as much live sports for watching Marquette games as YoutubeTV?

I have PS VUE and love it for watching sports and MU Games.   FS 1 and 2 CBSSPORTS, and the ESPN family. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 03:57:31 PM »
Do most of the streaming services also have the Fox Sports local station - Fox Sports Wisconsin, etc?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 03:59:34 PM »
Do most of the streaming services also have the Fox Sports local station - Fox Sports Wisconsin, etc?

That one is the killer for me, AFAIK only YT carries this