Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette: Steve Wojciechowski  (Read 9046 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Marquette: Steve Wojciechowski
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2018, 12:47:38 PM »
Crabby---really? Nothing like stating facts about Wojo and learning, which he had quite a bit before he arrived at MU. Don't see how that is crabby. Your standards may need adjustment.

Go get yourself a burger bud. You’ll feel better.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2018, 03:54:55 PM »
Willie sounds constipated again
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2018, 06:46:48 PM »
willie is completely joyless.

It must be a difficult way to go through life.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2018, 01:14:49 PM »
Go get yourself a burger bud. You’ll feel better.
Thank you. Had a burger yesterday. It was great and I love burgers. Better than Arby's, although their sandwiches are good too. But it is obvious that if the excuse for Wojo is that he is still learning, with his pedigree, then if you accept that, give him a lifetime contract to keep learning.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2018, 01:19:23 PM »
yes, we know............Mazos burger.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »
Thank you. Had a burger yesterday. It was great and I love burgers. Better than Arby's, although their sandwiches are good too. But it is obvious that if the excuse for Wojo is that he is still learning, with his pedigree, then if you accept that, give him a lifetime contract to keep learning.

Why is saying Wojo is still learning an excuse? I would think that all coaches are still learning. You either keep learning or get left behind.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2018, 01:49:50 PM »
From: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-coaching-moves-grading-2014s-biggest-hires-four-years-into-the-job/

Grade: B

The Golden Eagles have made one NCAA Tournament (2017) in four seasons under Wojo, who has a 73-59 record. This is the Duke alumnus' first go of it as a head coach. Wojciechowski's done a solid job, but it's a letdown when you contrast with Virginia Tech's situation above. How so? Whereas Virginia Tech seldom makes the NCAA Tournament (and with Williams making back-to-back Dances, it bumps up his grade), Marquette has a much better history.

The Eagles have made only one NCAA Tournament in the past four years. The last time the school had this kind of "drought" under one coach was from 1989-1993, when it took Kevin O'Neill four years to make his first NCAA Tournament. Personally, I think Marquette is a sneaky candidate to break through next season and be a No. 5, 6 or 7 seed. Not many are projecting MU to be that good, but a lot of guys return.

I think this is a fair assessment.  I am really looking forward to this season. I think Wojo will put it all together and this team will be a second weekend NCAA tourney team this year.  Will miss Rowsey, but I am excited to see what Morrow, Hauser II, and Chartouny will add.  Plus Greg Elliot, Sam, and Jamal fully healed.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:17:03 PM by jutaw22mu »

wojoswarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2018, 02:06:05 PM »
Don't you know by now that Willie knows everything there is to know about basketball and coaching?  For him there's nothing more to know! That's why he's making millions of dollars a year coaching a Power 5 basketball team! Oh wait, he's not is he!

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2018, 04:45:06 PM »
A few facts:

Wojo is 41 years old, with 4 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.

Dave Leitao is 57, with 12 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.
Jay Wright is 56, with 24 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.
Patrick Ewing is 55, with 1 season of Division I head coaching experience.
Chris Mullen is 54, with 3 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.
Greg McDermott is 53, with 18 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.
Ed Cooley is 48, with 12 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.
Kevin Willard is 43, with 11 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.
LaVall Jordan is 39, with 2 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.
Travis Steele is 36, with 0 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.

The fact is that Wojo is the 3rd youngest head coach in the Big East.

The fact is that Wojo has less experience as a Division I head coach than all but 4 first-time head coaches hired in the past 3 years. Only one of those 4 coaches (Jordan) has ever taken his team to the NCAA tournament. That coach has won just 1 postseason game.

Based on the above, it's fair and accurate to say that Wojo is young and learning. That's not an excuse or a justification. Simply reality.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:50:49 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2018, 07:27:32 PM »
A few facts:

Wojo is 41 years old, with 4 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.

Dave Leitao is 57, with 12 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.
Jay Wright is 56, with 24 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.
Patrick Ewing is 55, with 1 season of Division I head coaching experience.
Chris Mullen is 54, with 3 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.
Greg McDermott is 53, with 18 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.
Ed Cooley is 48, with 12 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.
Kevin Willard is 43, with 11 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.
LaVall Jordan is 39, with 2 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.
Travis Steele is 36, with 0 seasons of Division I head coaching experience.

The fact is that Wojo is the 3rd youngest head coach in the Big East.

The fact is that Wojo has less experience as a Division I head coach than all but 4 first-time head coaches hired in the past 3 years. Only one of those 4 coaches (Jordan) has ever taken his team to the NCAA tournament. That coach has won just 1 postseason game.

Based on the above, it's fair and accurate to say that Wojo is young and learning. That's not an excuse or a justification. Simply reality.
About 15 years "learning" coaching at the most elite program in the country eliminates that half baked reality.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2018, 07:31:40 PM »
Why is saying Wojo is still learning an excuse? I would think that all coaches are still learning. You either keep learning or get left behind.
Knew that lame argument would come up. Of course learning is important, but to paint it in the context that Wojo is some novice is just plain bullcrap. Over a decade at the most elite BB program in the country loses that excuse, which many like to offer for Wojo's mediocre success. And that prior experience is what got him hired in the first place.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2018, 07:33:40 PM »
Knew that lame argument would come up. Of course learning is important, but to paint it in the context that Wojo is some novice is just plain bullcrap. Over a decade at the most elite BB program in the country loses that excuse, which many like to offer for Wojo's mediocre success. And that prior experience is what got him hired in the first place.

So you think being an assistant coach and being a head coach are no different?  That if you are an assistant at a top program the transition to being a head coach is seamless?  Interesting take there willie.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2018, 07:49:32 PM »
Wades

KO and TC did quite well making transition. Plus they had less assistant experience. It really does come down to this and next year for Wojo. Hope he hits it out of the park.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2018, 08:02:45 PM »
So you think being an assistant coach and being a head coach are no different?  That if you are an assistant at a top program the transition to being a head coach is seamless?  Interesting take there willie.

Wojo is a head coach of an institution that aspires to play basketball at the highest level.  All the rest doesn’t matter. At least that’s the way it works where I have been employed. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2018, 08:04:52 PM »
Wades

KO and TC did quite well making transition. Plus they had less assistant experience. It really does come down to this and next year for Wojo. Hope he hits it out of the park.

I don't want to hijack this thread by turning it into another "who had it tougher" thing, so I won't.

But by record and by NCAA appearances, KO was no more successful than Wojo in each coach'es first four years.

In KO's fifth season, he and his lads pulled off that wonderful upset of Kentucky to reach the Sweet 16, a game I remember very fondly. KO then used that as his ticket out of town.

So yes, I do hope that Wojo replicates (at least) KO's 5th-season success. But I hope that he sticks around.

TC obviously was well ahead of Wojo through four seasons, as Year 4 was a 3 seed and a Final Four. Of course, his team then regressed to NIT status despite having 2 future NBA players.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2018, 11:22:07 PM »
About 15 years "learning" coaching at the most elite program in the country eliminates that half baked reality.

Shouldn't people always be learning in their craft? 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

feedback