[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Chartouny to MU  (Read 23415 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Chartouny to MU
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2018, 06:17:48 AM »

the addition of JC immediately changes other teams approach to us and gives us another CHANCE to be better than we were.  now we just have to go out and execute.  welcome mr chartouny

don't...don't don't don't don't

🏀

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2018, 07:06:38 AM »
I read this and the question that immediately popped into my mind was: Who the hell is Brad Cavallaro?

So I googled him. He contributes to something called Busting Brackets, and here is his profile:

I am a huge college basketball fan who religiously follows the sport at a national level. I recently graduated from Providence College and I am currently pursuing my MBA at Bryant University.

In other words, he's the same as most Scoopers. He's an ardent fan who likes to give his opinion. Except he's not as experienced an observer as most of us.

I'm not dismissing him, but his opinion on JC or any other subject is no better than mine or yours or anybody else's.

Having said that, from what I know JC and the rest of our roster, I would agree with those who believe MU should be a ranked team and a legit Big East contender now.

It gives a prospective from a non-Marquette fan. Looking through his timeline, he follows NCAA and the BE quite well.

Let's not trash the guy because he doesn't have a blue check. Rob Dauster and Troy Machir were the same type of Twitter posters 5-6 years ago.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2018, 07:25:12 AM »
You know, Scoop itself should start a twitter feed.  With the $hit some of us say we'd be quoted every day.  Oh yeah, Scoop Takes!   ::)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2018, 09:45:28 AM »
Ultimately, every coach has to be judged by his team's performance.

By history, yes.

By media, mostly.

By Scoop....nah!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2018, 11:21:52 AM »
While not overly athletic Chartouny has a rep as a top-notch defender.  If he brings that to the table and some playmaking ability that's that is needed.  My guess is his offense will improve steadily as the season progresses.

Agree. We do not need his offense as much as having a true point who can actually defend. MU has offensive weapons, it's the D that has been dismal. He has the ability to contribute defensively and that we sorely need.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2018, 02:32:53 PM »
Non MU opinion about how Chartoney fits our needs at the bottom of this piece

http://three-man-weave.com/3mw/2019-start-offseason-bracketology

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2018, 02:59:58 PM »

Am I missing something about Seton Hall?  This bracketology has them just out, and a lot of others have them in.  They are losing a ton, and even when they had their 4 Seniors, they underachieved IMO, implying that Willard really needs top level talent to get the job done, which he does not have much of other than Powell.  I think they will take a major step back and be in the bottom third of the Beast and get lucky to get a NIT bid.

Getting back on topic it seems that we were all spot on in our analysis that JC makes a great fit.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2018, 03:15:03 PM »
That's some nice respect for the Warriors there, DJO.

Guy has us #26 and a 7-seed - and that's before we got JC. As he said:

One note - this bracket doesn't factor in Joseph Chartouny choosing Marquette - if it did, I'd bump the Golden Eagles up inside the Top 25. He's a perfect fit alongside Howard in the backcourt as a great defender with size, and the Hauser brothers are going to be matchup nightmares at the forward spots.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2018, 03:26:10 PM »
That's some nice respect for the Warriors there, DJO.

Guy has us #26 and a 7-seed - and that's before we got JC. As he said:

One note - this bracket doesn't factor in Joseph Chartouny choosing Marquette - if it did, I'd bump the Golden Eagles up inside the Top 25. He's a perfect fit alongside Howard in the backcourt as a great defender with size, and the Hauser brothers are going to be matchup nightmares at the forward spots.

Making it back to the tournament (the 2nd appearance in 3 years) would be clear progress. Improving our seed from 2017, more so. I think a seed in the 6-8 range is a realistic expectation. I'd be absolutely thrilled with a 4 or 5 seed.

Then again, the same projection has Wisconsin in the field as a 10 seed.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2018, 03:38:58 PM »

Love the pod they have us in. First, we get to see MU beat the rodents. Then we sit back while Liberty beats UVa.

;)

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2018, 04:30:29 PM »
By history, yes.

By media, mostly.

By Scoop....nah!

Isn't 82 the history of media? ;)

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2018, 04:38:26 PM »
Making it back to the tournament (the 2nd appearance in 3 years) would be clear progress. Improving our seed from 2017, more so. I think a seed in the 6-8 range is a realistic expectation. I'd be absolutely thrilled with a 4 or 5 seed.

Then again, the same projection has Wisconsin in the field as a 10 seed.

I think UW's recent history in terms of making the tournament will continue to get them preseason projections like this for a few more years. And I'd say it's deserved. They have a strong recent history of miraculous player development (luck?) and it's reasonable for these kinds of guys to put them in the tourney even with last season's disappointment.

That said I think it's pretty fun to think about them getting even worse. On paper it certainly doesn't look good, and Greg Gard has all the makings of an eventual UW scapegoat.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2018, 05:08:32 PM »
I think UW's recent history in terms of making the tournament will continue to get them preseason projections like this for a few more years. And I'd say it's deserved. They have a strong recent history of miraculous player development (luck?) and it's reasonable for these kinds of guys to put them in the tourney even with last season's disappointment.

That said I think it's pretty fun to think about them getting even worse. On paper it certainly doesn't look good, and Greg Gard has all the makings of an eventual UW scapegoat.

Next year will be significant. Happ graduating coupled with that empty recruiting class means starting in 2019-20, it's solidly Gard's team. If they don't show significant progress before Happ graduates, I expect their Q rating will drop like a rock.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2018, 05:52:31 PM »
You know, Scoop itself should start a twitter feed.  With the $hit some of us say we'd be quoted every day.  Oh yeah, Scoop Takes!   ::)

Do Golden Eagles tweet?

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2018, 05:58:11 PM »
Next year will be significant. Happ graduating coupled with that empty recruiting class means starting in 2019-20, it's solidly Gard's team. If they don't show significant progress before Happ graduates, I expect their Q rating will drop like a rock.

Methinks WI residents will be on the hook for at least a few years of his contract, once things go really sour. Maybe he can be "Ollied" and forced off the island without pay... Perhaps they can prove he knew something about Bo's naughtiness.  8-)

I agree that Happ alone will keep them up there in the preseason rankings. In practice, he is totally not the kind of player that can carry the team like some of his predecessors. Even Matt Heldt was capable of neutralizing him, for the most part. Looking forward to MU humiliating him/them this year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2018, 06:02:40 PM »
I think UW makes the tourney as a bubble team. 10-12 seed sounds about right. The 2019 recruiting class will make or break Gard.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback