Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Gard Yeeeeesss!!!  (Read 7436 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Gard Yeeeeesss!!!
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2018, 10:58:06 AM »
Appreciate your new response when unable to dispute the point...other than through an exercise of extreme excuse making.

Something so stupid doesn’t deserve a response.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2018, 11:01:39 AM »

I don't know what people see in him to suggest he's a "very good coach."  This year was the first that he wasn't blessed with experienced players and they looked really lost at times.  They did get better as the B10 season went on so he obviously did something right, but I think the jury is still out on him.

I think a one year extension is fair, but is hardly a ringing endorsement.  They hand those things out as a matter of course.  (Smart policy BTW.)  They can afford a buy-out if they need one.

Next year will say a lot IMO.  But his recruiting has been pretty mediocre.  I wouldn't trade Wojo for him.  Not even a question.

Well, it is clear he can take talent and advance it based on his NCAA runs.  Next, even with this year's squad, his teams improve at the end of the season. Last, the new B1G is just a crappy conference in the middle and bottom so there are plenty of wins to be had to keep alive.

There are no signs he can recruit well and this will determine his future like Mike Deane's, as you say.

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2018, 11:28:06 AM »
Reality is probably somewhere in between- he's probably not as great as UW fans think he is or will be, and he's also probably not as bad as folks on here want to believe he is.

Jury is still out on him, just like Wojo.  Big years for both of them.  Can UW bounce back and can MU finally make the leap to a top 25 program under Wojo.

Also, regarding Gard's recruiting- 2019 & 2020 will tell the real story.  His '17 class was one of UW's best ever, and 2 of those guys had MU offers.  His '18 class doesn't look good now, but their 247 class ranking is very close to what our 2017 ranking was.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:37:25 AM by GrimmReaper33 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2018, 11:32:42 AM »
Reality is probably somewhere in between- he's probably not as great as UW fans think he is, and he's also probably not as bad as folks on here want to believe he is.

My dad calls him UW's Hank Raymonds.  A decent coach who is going to ultimately struggle in the shadow of his predecessor. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2018, 11:49:21 AM »
Also, regarding Gard's recruiting- 2019 & 2020 will tell the real story.  His '17 class was one of UW's best ever, and 2 of those guys had MU offers.  His '18 class doesn't look good now, but their 247 class ranking is very close to what our 2017 ranking was.

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. I think back to those classes of Marquette's that were supposed to be difference makers for us. I feel like we've had three top-10 classes in the past decade. Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

• Junior Cadougan: Fine player, but never lived up to top-50 billing.
  • Jeronne Maymon: Decent player, but left before his freshman year was halfway done.
  • Erik Williams: Poor player, never came close to top-100 billing.
  • Yous Mbao: Project that didn't pan out.
  • Darius Johnson-Odom: Quality JUCO player.
  • Dwight Buycks: Quality JUCO player.
So in 2009, the only two that really lived up to their billing were the JUCOs. Of Buzz's first class, Cadougan was the only one who was here for 4 years and even he didn't live up to expectations.

• Jajuan Johnson: Quality player, developed into a solid starter by his senior year.
  • Deonte Burton: Quality player but left before the end of his sophomore year.
  • Duane Wilson: Decent player, didn't meet expectations, though possibly due to injuries.
  • John Dawson: Project player that didn't pan out.
  • Jameel McKay: Quality JUCO that never played a minute at MU.
In 2013, JJ was the only one who really met expectations for Marquette, though he was probably considered a disappointment for the first 2.5 years of his career. No one else completed their eligibility here.

• Henry Ellenson: Quality player, first round NBA draft pick, but only played the one year.
  • Haanif Cheatham: Decent player but left after 2.5 seasons.
  • Traci Carter: Decent player but left after 1.5 seasons.
  • Sacar Anim: Decent player, final grade TBD.
  • Matt Heldt: Decent player, will complete eligibility
60% of the class won't complete their eligibility. Who would've imagined that the two that would have the most positive impact on Marquette's program may end up being Anim and Heldt? Ellenson was great, but the early departure meant he never contributed a point to a MU team that reached any form of postseason play.

Anyway...my main point is that class recruiting rankings usually aren't worth the bandwidth the articles about them take up online. As well-ranked as Gard's class was, who knows how many will complete their eligibility there or will ever meet the expectations pundits have. I mean, I think there's a very good chance Sacar Anim ends up being the all-time leading scorer for the Marquette 2015 recruiting class. Who would've expected that after watching their freshman season?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2018, 02:23:05 PM »
We finished 53 in Pomeroy with virtually no injuries.  UW finished 70 this past season, losing two key contributors in early December.

From the jsonline article:

"The Badgers went 4-6 in their first 10 games and then lost guards D’Mitrik Trice and Kobe King to season-ending injuries."

So those "key contributors" led them to an impressive 4-6 record.  Quick--extend his contract!!!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.