[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] What does Chartouny bring to MU?  (Read 3443 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
[Paint Touches] What does Chartouny bring to MU?
« on: April 23, 2018, 08:29:57 AM »
The steals are nice, but there is so much more to JC that makes him an absolute steal for this particular MU team.

https://painttouches.com/2018/04/23/what-does-chartouny-bring-to-mu/

MU82

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] What does Chartouny bring to MU?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 08:59:05 AM »
Got a lot out of this article, Andrei. Thanks for the time you put into it.

This was a telling paragraph:

Teams abused Marquette in P&R, particularly against Rowsey, almost 3 times a game. Of the 390 players who saw at least 90 possessions against P&R, Rowsey ranked 380th, worst among high major players. 

Worth emphasizing: As much as most of us admired how good offensively Rowsey was last season, he was the very worst player in the nation (high majors) defending the pick-and-roll. Beyond that, he one of the worst defenders, period.

The close-out stats were incredible, too. Rowsey and Howard were two of the very worst in the nation at closing out and challenging shooters - which is vital for any zone defense.

It will be interesting to see how much our defense improves next season. I think it will be significant.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 09:08:15 AM »
Thanks for the feedback! I think most underestimate the impact on both sides of the ball for Rowsey. Everyone acknowledges his shooting and scoring, but his distribution and ball protection was top tier.

In that same vein, everyone acknowledges what a liability he was on defense. But it's not just the measurable stats like the ones I provided, it's also the missed assignments and miscommunications. Coming straight from a timeout with the season on the line, Drew couldn't remember whether or not he was switching on to the ball handler. Strus luckily missed, but that possession was a total microcosm of the season.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 09:12:39 AM »
Thanks for the feedback! I think most underestimate the impact on both sides of the ball for Rowsey. Everyone acknowledges his shooting and scoring, but his distribution and ball protection was top tier.

In that same vein, everyone acknowledges what a liability he was on defense. But it's not just the measurable stats like the ones I provided, it's also the missed assignments and miscommunications. Coming straight from a timeout with the season on the line, Drew couldn't remember whether or not he was switching on to the ball handler. Strus luckily missed, but that possession was a total microcosm of the season.

Truly one of the worst defenders I've ever seen. At least Marcus tries (and sometimes succeeds) at taking a charge. AR often didn't even seem to care about D at all.

I really don't want to trash the guy, because I liked watching him play and he hit some amazing dagger 3s for us. And as you say, he became a very dependable PG - which was one reason I remained hopeful about Marcus' ability to improve at the possession if Wojo didn't land JC. But I feel much better about every aspect of MU ball with JC in the fold.

Also encouraged that Chartouny shot the ball much better the second half of last season - 35% from 3, which was more in line with the 38% he shot as a soph. If he's healthy and he gets coached up a little by Nelson, I think he might surprise people with his ability to knock down that shot if defenders try to "Derrick" him and leave him wide open.

As a "keep them honest" shooter, I could see him being at least as effective as Tony Miller (34% career from 3).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:26:29 AM by MU82 »

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 09:32:34 AM »

Also encouraged that Chartouny shot the ball much better the second half of last season - 35% from 3, which was more in line with the 38% he shot as a soph. If he's healthy and he gets coached up a little by Nelson, I think he might surprise people with his ability to knock down that shot if defenders try to "Derrick" him and leave him wide open.

As a "keep them honest" shooter, I could see him being at least as effective as Tony Miller (34% career from 3).

Yea, I mentioned it in the article that a NY writer beat the "he was injured all of last season" drum pretty loudly, and his shooting and defensive splits seem to validate it. I just didn't watch enough of him live, or follow Fordham at all, to be able to differentiate, so it would just seem like an excuse on my part. I'm thrilled about JC even at his worst offensive output, anything above that will be a huge bonus.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 09:59:59 AM »
The end about the square peg and square hole is perfect. This article expounds on all the reasons I think Chartouny is exactly what we need. He won't score like Cremo, but we don't need that. We need a distributor and defender that can keep defenses honest. That's exactly what he is.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 11:45:28 AM »
Best Scoop thread in a while, IMHO.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 12:33:29 PM »
The true weakness of MU playing two <6' guards against the high pick and roll came when the offense would put the shooter that Markus was guarding in the opposite corner.    Pick and roll happens, Markus is the weakside defender in the lane.    Along with Rowsey.     So you have Heldt/Harry/Theo guarding a PG in space (blow by waiting to happen) with a big rolling to the lane guarded by Markus and Rowsey, as the anonymous 6'10 post player catches the ball 4 ft from the basket.   Or, the ball gets skip passed to the corner, and Markus is either entangled with the big in the lane, or just too damn small for an effective closeout.

In the Harvard and Oregon games, when Jamal was getting run and was guarding the corner shooter and therefore was the weakside defender in the lane to contest the big, MU got deflections and turnovers, exactly how it is drawn up.   

The problem wasn't the scheme, it was the personnel.    And Wojo faced the choice of taking one of his (nearly) 20 ppg scorers off the floor and replacing them with a freshman.   Rough.     

With Chartouny on the floor, either he is initially guarding the ball, or at worst, the corner shooter.   He may be able to fight through the screen and recover well enough for the big to hedge and then retreat.   (IMO, preferred).    If he is the weakside defender in the lane, he comes into the lane with enough size and quickness to disrupt weak passes far better than a 5'10 defender. 

If there was a guaranteed way to defend the high P&R, everyone would do it and it would not be a staple of so many offenses.   
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:04:02 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 09:01:52 PM »
The true weakness of MU playing two <6' guards against the high pick and roll came when the offense would put the shooter that Markus was guarding in the opposite corner.    Pick and roll happens, Markus is the weakside defender in the lane.    Along with Rowsey.     So you have Heldt/Harry/Theo guarding a PG in space (blow by waiting to happen) with a big rolling to the lane guarded by Markus and Rowsey, as the anonymous 6'10 post player catches the ball 4 ft from the basket.   Or, the ball gets skip passed to the corner, and Markus is either entangled with the big in the lane, or just too damn small for an effective closeout.

In the Harvard and Oregon games, when Jamal was getting run and was guarding the corner shooter and therefore was the weakside defender in the lane to contest the big, MU got deflections and turnovers, exactly how it is drawn up.   

The problem wasn't the scheme, it was the personnel.    And Wojo faced the choice of taking one of his (nearly) 20 ppg scorers off the floor and replacing them with a freshman.   Rough.     

With Chartouny on the floor, either he is initially guarding the ball, or at worst, the corner shooter.   He may be able to fight through the screen and recover well enough for the big to hedge and then retreat.   (IMO, preferred).    If he is the weakside defender in the lane, he comes into the lane with enough size and quickness to disrupt weak passes far better than a 5'10 defender. 

If there was a guaranteed way to defend the high P&R, everyone would do it and it would not be a staple of so many offenses.   

This was excellent, Tower.  Very well explained.  Ty

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »

this was my thought as well...he just has to be able to keep his defender honest.  sounds like he was asked to do much more...won't be the case anymore.  i think he will have to hit some clutch FT's for MU...there isn't a returning player i feel good about having the ball in their hands at the end of the game TO wise.  perhaps sam and markus will grow, and the dumb turnovers at the end of games will subside. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 10:08:50 PM »
this was my thought as well...he just has to be able to keep his defender honest.  sounds like he was asked to do much more...won't be the case anymore.  i think he will have to hit some clutch FT's for MU...there isn't a returning player i feel good about having the ball in their hands at the end of the game TO wise.  perhaps sam and markus will grow, and the dumb turnovers at the end of games will subside.

Teams break the press, not individuals, and Sam was the most valuable part of that for us last season. He makes good decisions, he has good hands, and he hits free throws. The year before that, Katin had a huge role. I would think with Sam, JC and an improved Markus and Elliott, we'll be A-OK. But yeah, JC hasn't been a great FT shooter, so we'll see. He hasn't been Derrick bad, but 73% from the primary ballhandler is a little shaky.