[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Traditional Transfer Tracker  (Read 43756 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Traditional Transfer Tracker
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 09:15:16 AM »
A lot of potential with McEwen.

6-4, lean, quick, shot 42% from 3 as a FR (only 33% as SO, but 42% means he can shoot). Way too many TOs, but that can be improved upon (just as it was with Rowsey).

2 years of eligibility remaining, starting in 2019-20 (presumably after grad transfer PG goes).

Me likey.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 09:18:18 AM »
A lot of potential with McEwen.

6-4, lean, quick, shot 42% from 3 as a FR (only 33% as SO, but 42% means he can shoot). Way too many TOs, but that can be improved upon (just as it was with Rowsey).

2 years of eligibility remaining, starting in 2019-20 (presumably after grad transfer PG goes).

Me likey.

Also, MWC frosh of the year followed by 3rd team MWC this year.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 09:18:59 AM »
McEwen looks like he'd be a great catch.  Love his length and athleticism. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv6XWudHrEk

I know TAMU had mentioned he doesn't grade out that well defensively, but hopefully that is something he can improve on, because he certainly has the body to be an effective defender.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 09:21:33 AM »

I know TAMU had mentioned he doesn't grade out that well defensively, but hopefully that is something he can improve on, because he certainly has the body to be an effective defender.

Just wait until he gets in our strength and conditioning program and Wojo coaches him up...

Truthfully, just being 6'4 will be a major upgrade defensively.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:24:41 AM by esotericmindguy »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 09:40:15 AM »
Id just be impressed we can pull him out of the long and honored shadow of the Legend.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2018, 11:07:30 AM »

So I thought I’d compare this to the Big East.  I calculated this by looking at recruiting classes and rosters.  If you were in the “recruiting class”, appeared on the roster, but were not on the roster for four (or five) years, you’re on the list, even if you didn’t “transfer” to another school.  I also didn’t dig deeply to see who is transferring this year, but I included the ones I know about, like Froling and Lovett.  I guarantee I made mistakes, but this should give you an idea.

Villanova: 4
Butler: 7
Creighton: 7
Georgetown: 7
Providence: 8
Xavier: 8
Seton Hall: 9
DePaul: 11
Marquette: 11 (Froling, Cheatham, Carter, Cohen, Du Wilson, Burton, Dawson, Taylor, Ferguson, Jones, Smith)
St. John’s: 12

Thanks for putting in the leg work for this, definitely good to put it in perspective. I might also add Levin, Mayo, Wally and McKay. Mayo and Wally "left" for the pros and were nudged, so I can see those both ways. But the roster turnover has been very high of late (even accounting for a coaching change), and has definitely contributed to some of the issues we have seen the past few years.

Still have a minutes continuity post on the to-do list, but I'm guessing MU will rank below most BEast teams there as well.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 12:22:28 PM »
Thanks for putting in the leg work for this, definitely good to put it in perspective. I might also add Levin, Mayo, Wally and McKay. Mayo and Wally "left" for the pros and were nudged, so I can see those both ways. But the roster turnover has been very high of late (even accounting for a coaching change), and has definitely contributed to some of the issues we have seen the past few years.

Still have a minutes continuity post on the to-do list, but I'm guessing MU will rank below most BEast teams there as well.

I didn't include Levin, Wally, or McKay because they weren't high school recruits, but transfers in.  The whole exercise was to look for high school recruits that didn't finish four years or early-entry to the NBA.   Mayo went "pro" so I didn't count him (just like I didn't count Bentil, for example).

What's really sad is that since I started at Marquette (fall 2007) the only players I've been able to see play all four (or more) years are Otule, Cadougan, Gardner, Derrick Wilson, Anderson, and JuJuan (Duane was here four years too). 

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 12:35:36 PM »
I didn't include Levin, Wally, or McKay because they weren't high school recruits, but transfers in.  The whole exercise was to look for high school recruits that didn't finish four years or early-entry to the NBA.   Mayo went "pro" so I didn't count him (just like I didn't count Bentil, for example).

What's really sad is that since I started at Marquette (fall 2007) the only players I've been able to see play all four (or more) years are Otule, Cadougan, Gardner, Derrick Wilson, Anderson, and JuJuan (Duane was here four years too).

And all those players were average or below average players.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 01:22:39 PM »

I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2018, 02:28:33 PM »
Davante was average?  Seems to me he won a 6th man BE award and then was 2nd team All BE.  That would seem to be a wee bit above average......??

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2018, 02:42:56 PM »
Add Kentucky 5-star sophomore Sacha Killeya-Jones to the transfer wire. Nice advanced numbers but never got the minutes he wanted. Imagine he'll be a hot commodity.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2018, 02:43:46 PM »
Add Kentucky 5-star sophomore Sacha Killeya-Jones to the transfer wire. Nice advanced numbers but never got the minutes he wanted. Imagine he'll be a hot commodity.

We were in on him originally, right?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2018, 02:52:06 PM »
We were in on him originally, right?

I believe we were. Pretty sure we offered, but not sure how serious it ever got.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2018, 02:52:14 PM »

When they started.  Cadougan and JuJuan, for example, were exactly the type of players I wish we had more of recently, instead of hoping for freshmen (Henry), transfers (Rowsey), or JUCOs (McKay) to save us and fill holes.  Neither JC nor JJJ was an all-world or even all-Big East type of player but by their senior years they were solid starters. 

We need to hold onto those guys who we bring in as freshmen because a top 150 player, by the time he is a senior, should be a high level starter.  We would have been really bad if we started Sacar/Heldt two years ago or Greg/Jamal/Theo this year...but I'm really excited to see those guys as starters as juniors and seniors. 

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2018, 02:58:57 PM »
When they started.  Cadougan and JuJuan, for example, were exactly the type of players I wish we had more of recently, instead of hoping for freshmen (Henry), transfers (Rowsey), or JUCOs (McKay) to save us and fill holes.  Neither JC nor JJJ was an all-world or even all-Big East type of player but by their senior years they were solid starters. 

We need to hold onto those guys who we bring in as freshmen because a top 150 player, by the time he is a senior, should be a high level starter.  We would have been really bad if we started Sacar/Heldt two years ago or Greg/Jamal/Theo this year...but I'm really excited to see those guys as starters as juniors and seniors.

Veterans make a difference, a transfer is way ahead of a freshman.  JJJ was solid as a senior, so was Cadougan.  But the first three years, they
were average at best.  That is what Wojo is working on now,  4 classes.  The first one did not work out with Henry and Cheatham leaving.  MU
would be pretty good with Henry, but probably would not have the Hauser boys.  Sacar and Heldt are just players.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2018, 03:26:40 PM »

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 04:10:38 PM »
Veterans make a difference, a transfer is way ahead of a freshman.  JJJ was solid as a senior, so was Cadougan.  But the first three years, they
were average at best.  That is what Wojo is working on now,  4 classes.  The first one did not work out with Henry and Cheatham leaving.  MU
would be pretty good with Henry, but probably would not have the Hauser boys.  Sacar and Heldt are just players...

...for now.  If they turn out like Junior and JJJ, they should be "solid" as seniors.  Fifth year Sacar could be the gritty old guy we haven't had since...I can't even remember one!

You're right that transfers (and some JUCOs) are way ahead of Freshmen.  But, I'd rather see us bring in guys and develop them for 3-4 years rather than the rotating door of 1 year grad transfers.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2018, 04:31:39 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2018, 10:57:34 PM »
https://painttouches.com/2018/04/03/2018-transfer-tracker-april-3rd-edition/

We have another update. 4 names off the list and 4 names added. Marquette seems to be zeroing in on one of them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2018, 10:04:57 AM »
Rothstein tweeted that McEwen will have an in home visit with MU on Friday and an official visit to Grand Canyon this weekend.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2018, 10:29:21 AM »
MU was originally shceduled to do an in home with McEwen last week.  That was either rescheduled to this weekend, Wojo is visiting again, or perhaps McEwen is actually do a campus visit and Rothstein's info is bad. I am thinking it was probably rescheduled - seems strange to do 2 in homes.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2018, 10:39:46 AM »
MU was originally shceduled to do an in home with McEwen last week.  That was either rescheduled to this weekend, Wojo is visiting again, or perhaps McEwen is actually do a campus visit and Rothstein's info is bad. I am thinking it was probably rescheduled - seems strange to do 2 in homes.

I'm thinking it was rescheduled.  Wojo was in Montreal on Saturday, and both Detroit and Iowa on Sunday.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2018, 10:50:31 AM »
I'm thinking it was rescheduled.  Wojo was in Montreal on Saturday, and both Detroit and Iowa on Sunday.

Assuming Carton was Iowa, Rocket Watts Detroit?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2018, 10:50:51 AM »
Assuming Carton was Iowa, Rocket Watts Detroit?

Correct

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2018, 11:02:10 AM »
I’m sure it’s been discussed but anyone know why the CSU kid is looking at Grand Canyon? I’m guessing that’s where his old coach/friend went but I haven’t seen anything confirming that.

Bring back FFP!!!