[Today at 04:50:28 PM]

2024-25 Roster by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[June 08, 2024, 07:42:23 PM]

Incoming freshmen by MuMark
[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: WSJ: How Much Is Your College-Basketball Team Worth?  (Read 5162 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: WSJ: How Much Is Your College-Basketball Team Worth?
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 05:05:29 PM »
I live in Charlotte.

There definitely are more UNC fans here. Based on 7 years of personal observations, I'd say that there are at least as many Duke fans here as NC State fans. Duke t-shirts, sweats, shorts, hats, etc, are everywhere ... though not as prevalent as UNC.

More fans of all the above than UNC-Charlotte, a program that has been covered in weeds and left for dead.

I can't speak for elsewhere in NC because I haven't lived elsewhere in NC. Have you?

Did not live there, but part of my territory back in the day included Raleigh and to the west in Greensboro.  My comments pertain to the schools, not only basketball.  Duke football was an afterthought for so long.

The New York Times did a map survey of college football fans by zip code in every state.  Down in Charlotte where you live, NC State receives no love, but Duke is not the top pick anywhere in the state.  UNC is the dominant player with NC State having a dominant position around Raleigh. 

Have fun with the map, it is a few years old.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#10,35.860,-78.809

My perceptions of working through the state was UNC 1, NC State 2, and Duke 3, but a distant 3.   NC State has generally a better football program, baseball program, and basketball ebbed and flowed (two national titles nothing to sneeze at).  UNC had basketball dominance, soccer, baseball and some football.  Duke had basketball and lacrosse.  Duke as a private school was a strike against it from a number of the locals was an often repeated remark.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 05:16:28 PM by WarriorDad »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: WSJ: How Much Is Your College-Basketball Team Worth?
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 06:34:16 PM »
Did not live there, but part of my territory back in the day included Raleigh and to the west in Greensboro.  My comments pertain to the schools, not only basketball.  Duke football was an afterthought for so long.

The New York Times did a map survey of college football fans by zip code in every state.  Down in Charlotte where you live, NC State receives no love, but Duke is not the top pick anywhere in the state.  UNC is the dominant player with NC State having a dominant position around Raleigh. 

Have fun with the map, it is a few years old.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#10,35.860,-78.809

My perceptions of working through the state was UNC 1, NC State 2, and Duke 3, but a distant 3.   NC State has generally a better football program, baseball program, and basketball ebbed and flowed (two national titles nothing to sneeze at).  UNC had basketball dominance, soccer, baseball and some football.  Duke had basketball and lacrosse.  Duke as a private school was a strike against it from a number of the locals was an often repeated remark.

Any chance you know anything about California or Texas?  Can you give me any insights into Tom Crean's psyche?

feedback