[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Zog from Margo
[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 197548 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1575 on: August 25, 2022, 01:14:06 PM »
Is that good or bad?

I regularly fly from LGA and it's vastly improved getting in and out despite ongoing terminal construction.

You may not have this issue, since you flew into LGA and your return flight may involve a car rental drop-off and not use of the parking garage.
I parked in the parking garage on the same floor (5th?) as the new pedestrian entrance ramp.  The ramp dumps you into the security line entrance, then using escalators you have go awkwardly around it and down another flight for check-in/luggage drop-off then back up a flight for security.

Because the terminals are still under construction my gate happened to be in the mostly closed old section, so I had walk across an old and very long temporarily spruced up hallway that dumps you into an area with about 16 gates.  You can see the original entrance ramp closed off.

It was an OMG good. I can't believe the makeover, it's incredible what that place used to be, to what it is now (at least in Terminal B). There's good signage everywhere too (which was not the case previously). I'd argue it went from the worst airport in the US to maybe one of the top five.

I'm hosting a suite at Citi Field tonight for Mets/Rockies, so for me it's a piece of cake to Uber from LGA to my hotel, then to the game. But agreed with Hards, if I was going to Manhattan, I'd have flown into EWR and done the same thing and train it to Penn.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1576 on: September 03, 2022, 10:47:05 AM »
Damn.....Malta looks spectacular.  Who recommended that to me... was it you JWags?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1577 on: September 03, 2022, 12:49:50 PM »
Damn.....Malta looks spectacular.  Who recommended that to me... was it you JWags?

Yep!  One of the most unique places Ive ever been.  Incredible history, a crazy blend of cultural influences, and some gorgeous scenery.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1578 on: September 03, 2022, 01:15:56 PM »
Yep!  One of the most unique places Ive ever been.  Incredible history, a crazy blend of cultural influences, and some gorgeous scenery.

Tyvm JWags.  I think I will go in May 2023. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1579 on: September 03, 2022, 02:41:05 PM »

I did as well.  My daughter was just there in June.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1580 on: September 03, 2022, 02:51:50 PM »
I did as well.  My daughter was just there in June.

Ty as well.  Did you combine it with a stay in Sicily or Naples/Positano/Capri?  I was thinking 10 days in Malta.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1581 on: September 03, 2022, 07:21:07 PM »
Ty as well.  Did you combine it with a stay in Sicily or Naples/Positano/Capri?  I was thinking 10 days in Malta.

10 days is an awfully long time there, IMO.  But add a couple days on Gozo, and it could play.  But if you're a diver, there is great diving there. 

We linked it with some time in Greece, which actually ended up being a bit of a travel nightmare, but Naples/Amalfi Coast would be a nice link with it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1582 on: September 03, 2022, 07:57:33 PM »
10 days is an awfully long time there, IMO.  But add a couple days on Gozo, and it could play.  But if you're a diver, there is great diving there. 

We linked it with some time in Greece, which actually ended up being a bit of a travel nightmare, but Naples/Amalfi Coast would be a nice link with it.

Well won't I need more than 7 days to learn Maltese?  What a fascinating language, both spoken and written.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1583 on: September 03, 2022, 08:17:05 PM »

My kid was there 3-4 days.
She said it was beautiful and after a semester in France she said it was surprising incredibly very inexpensive.  I think Malta uses the Euro

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1584 on: November 01, 2022, 08:06:03 PM »
Thinking of taking a family trip to Atlantis, have heard both good & bad. Anyone have hot takes on the resort? I did gamble there a few years ago while our cruise ship was docked in Nassau.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1585 on: November 01, 2022, 08:45:56 PM »
Thinking of taking a family trip to Atlantis, have heard both good & bad. Anyone have hot takes on the resort? I did gamble there a few years ago while our cruise ship was docked in Nassau.

The aquarium is very disappointing. We didn't do the Waterpark so that's all I can comment on
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1586 on: November 02, 2022, 06:18:42 AM »

Heard bad things.  Basically it's a dump unless you're in the newest section.  The older parts of the resort are left to slowly rot.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1587 on: November 02, 2022, 06:24:48 AM »

MUWBB plays there in a few weeks

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1588 on: November 02, 2022, 08:44:16 AM »
Main problem I have with LGA is how difficult it is to get to Manhattan.  $50 for a cab ride into downtown through traffic sucks donkey balls.   Which is why I usually fly into EWR for this reason and take the train into Penn Station.

If you don’t want to pay the $$$…

Take the Q70 bus (free) non-stop to 74th/Roosevelt to the 7 or four other lines. Or take it to 61st to the LIRR.

If you don’t want to wait for that one, you can do the same thing paying with a MetroCard taking the Q47.

Or you could take the Q48 with a MetroCard to the tennis/baseball facilities at 111st/Roosevelt and take the 7. (or take the LIRR from the BJK Center)

(There are a few more as well)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1589 on: November 02, 2022, 09:39:50 AM »
If you don’t want to pay the $$$…

Take the Q70 bus (free) non-stop to 74th/Roosevelt to the 7 or four other lines. Or take it to 61st to the LIRR.

If you don’t want to wait for that one, you can do the same thing paying with a MetroCard taking the Q47.

Or you could take the Q48 with a MetroCard to the tennis/baseball facilities at 111st/Roosevelt and take the 7. (or take the LIRR from the BJK Center)

(There are a few more as well)

Yeah, I've considered that route as well.  I prefer the EWR route because I don't really have to think, and it just works.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1590 on: November 02, 2022, 10:01:13 AM »
Yeah, I've considered that route as well.  I prefer the EWR route because I don't really have to think, and it just works.

It's pretty easy. You literally walk outside at Laguardia, and one of those buses will be there to take to the train.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1591 on: November 02, 2022, 10:57:51 AM »
It's pretty easy. You literally walk outside at Laguardia, and one of those buses will be there to take to the train.

Yeah, but then I gotta ride a bus, and swap to a train.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1592 on: November 02, 2022, 11:01:40 AM »

Yea but you're still leaving the airport and taking a bus, a city bus at that, to then transfer to a train.  Its not unreasonable to think that non-NYC residents don't want to think about buses once they arrive off a flight.  Especially compared to an escalator up to the SkyTrain and then walk out to the train platform to get on the NJT right into Penn Station.

Ive been to NYC 50+ times.  Was a part time resident for a number of years.  Taken every form of public transit in the 5 boroughs and flown into every airport in the area, including Islip and Westchester.  In no way would I ever consider public transit from LGA remotely as "easy" or painless as the other 2 major airports.  JFK is a hike, but its much smoother than LGA (in a non Uber/taxi transit)

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1593 on: November 02, 2022, 11:04:21 AM »

You and me both.

I'm a 1K on United and Newark is non-stop from Florida. I admit I'm partial to United (though the recent first class food selections are worse than anything I would feed my canine) but I also like getting the Airlink to the train station and 20-30 minutes to Midtown.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1594 on: November 02, 2022, 11:19:56 AM »
Yeah, but then I gotta ride a bus, and swap to a train.

Yes, you do have to take a short bus ride to the train from a bus waiting for you as you take the few steps outside. But it is certainly a viable option from Laguardia to Manhattan, that may take on a daily basis. It is far less expensive, and not much more time consuming.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1595 on: December 13, 2022, 01:16:38 PM »
Trying to plan my honeymoon to match our year anniversary. Thinking a treck along the Mediterranean from nice to Milan maybe a brief stop in Monaco just to say we did it.

Anyone familiar with this area? Recommended villages/towns? Recommended Michelin restaurants to a local dive spot?

Is it possible to include Barcelona or would I be stretching us too thin?
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1596 on: December 13, 2022, 01:27:33 PM »
I know there has been a ton of Hawaii discussion but I couldn't find it.

Going to Maui and Kauai in late March. Any recommendations beyond Haleakala and Hana? Has anyone done a guided excursions that they enjoyed? Maybe one that included snorkeling?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1597 on: December 13, 2022, 01:38:33 PM »
Trying to plan my honeymoon to match our year anniversary. Thinking a treck along the Mediterranean from nice to Milan maybe a brief stop in Monaco just to say we did it.

Anyone familiar with this area? Recommended villages/towns? Recommended Michelin restaurants to a local dive spot?

My daughter studied at UGA in Grenoble this past spring semester.
(That missing kid from New York that has been in the news this week is at the same university.)

She spent a long weekend in Nice in March (and there are next to no tourists at time and she said it was quite enjoyable.)
She did a day trip to Monaco. 
She also did a day trip to Menton.  It's a very scenic village on the coast between Monaco & the Italian border.  It's known for it's limoncello.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1598 on: December 13, 2022, 02:13:36 PM »

Barcelona is incredible, but 400+ miles the opposite direction.  7+ hours driving or multiple trains.  If your final destination is Milan, thats just not convenient.  If anything, Marseille isn't terribly far, maybe 90 min west of Nice, and its a very cool city on the water.

I don't recall restaurants of note, but Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat is incredible and worth spending some time in.  I don't know a ton about the Italian Med coast there, but ive only heard raves about its beauty.  Sanremo stands out from someone's stories from what I recall.  You can't go wrong really.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1599 on: December 13, 2022, 02:26:12 PM »
Barcelona is incredible, but 400+ miles the opposite direction.  7+ hours driving or multiple trains.  If your final destination is Milan, thats just not convenient.  If anything, Marseille isn't terribly far, maybe 90 min west of Nice, and its a very cool city on the water.

I don't recall restaurants of note, but Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat is incredible and worth spending some time in.  I don't know a ton about the Italian Med coast there, but ive only heard raves about its beauty.  Sanremo stands out from someone's stories from what I recall.  You can't go wrong really.

Yeah I mean Barcelona would be stop no 1 then we'd head east if it was included.

Thanks a lot, Milan's not necessarily locked in stone we may just take the drive down the west coast of Italy.
Maigh Eo for Sam