[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 198118 times)

WarriorFan

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1325 on: January 05, 2022, 08:27:38 PM »
WarriorFan

Had one of my best weeks of my life in Belgrade. Was there 25 years ago and wish I could offer some insight, but thoroughly loved it.
I think probably in both of our cases what was interesting 25 years ago is not on the priority list now.  (at least not on the wife's list)
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1326 on: January 05, 2022, 08:53:19 PM »
Actually their basketball team does play Friday night and that's a strong possibility if we can figure out how to get tickets.  Can't find anything on the web so far.
I went to a hockey game in Prague. Was very fun. Belgrade hoops would be a trip I bet. Might have to get tickets there. That’s what I had to do in Prague.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #1327 on: January 06, 2022, 05:44:47 AM »
Bummer, Red Star was supposed to play Fenerbache on Friday but it's cancelled because Red Star has more players/coaches with COVID than without.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1328 on: January 06, 2022, 06:16:54 AM »
Bummer, Red Star was supposed to play Fenerbache on Friday but it's cancelled because Red Star has more players/coaches with COVID than without.
You might run into Novak Djokovic. Hear he has some free time.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1329 on: January 09, 2022, 04:41:30 PM »
Where would you all say is the best drivable skiing from Chicago? Devils Head, Alpine Valley and Willmot is all I've done around here.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1330 on: January 09, 2022, 05:28:56 PM »
Where would you all say is the best drivable skiing from Chicago? Devils Head, Alpine Valley and Willmot is all I've done around here.

Cascade is about the same drive as Devil's Head and I prefer it.

If you are willing to make it an overnight, I recommend Brule in the UP.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1331 on: January 09, 2022, 05:32:29 PM »

Thanks! Hows the snow situation up there? Icy or decent for skiing?
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1332 on: January 09, 2022, 05:36:04 PM »

Alpine valley and Wilmer are bunny hills. 

Chicago to devils head or cascade mountain about 3 hours? Not bad

Indian head, black jack, powder horn or ski brule about 5-6 hours?  Best thing short of the real deal
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1333 on: January 09, 2022, 07:24:02 PM »

Brule is the best in WI, but it's a drive.  I second trying out Cascade.  Been there a ton, always well maintained.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1334 on: January 09, 2022, 08:01:22 PM »

Generally, it's not bad.  Lots of snowmaking, but quite a bit of natural snow as well.

I like Brule because the runs are pretty good and they have a cool lodge on the backside that is a converted cabin from the 19th century.

I have skied at Granite Peak in Wausau (formerly Rib Mountain) and did not care for it at all.  Super icy, and all the runs are basically black for the top quarter of the mountain and green the rest of the way down.
Have some patience, FFS.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1335 on: January 10, 2022, 08:04:07 AM »
Depending on where you are talking about. Pennekamp? Snorkeling is fine.
Islamorada or other places further down? Diving is better.
Plus personal preference. Snorkeling easier, cheaper,  You can obviously observe better diving. Turtles and nurse sharks tuck under ledges and are easier to see on air.
Plus there are a couple wrecks you can only get to diving. I’m not a big wreck diver fan, but most are.
Let me know where and I’ll see what insight I can provide. I’ve never dove near Key West so no knowledge about that area.
If you are in Islamorada, go to Lorelei’s for sunset dinner and drinks. Have a bushwhacker.

Tyvm for the "bushwacker" and various other recommendations!  I'm diving today in Looe Key before heading home tomorrow.  Big Pine is a great little area.  Far less touristy than Key West or Islamorada/Key Largo.   And surprisingly very good food choices close by.  I'm not much of a fisherman but it doesn't suck when you can catch Yellowtail and Grouper and local joints cook your catch.  Anyway I would recommend the area for those more comfortable with fewer tourists.  Also, $2 happy hour draft beer is never a bad thing.  Thx again and to all the scoopers for their suggestions.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1336 on: January 10, 2022, 09:11:25 AM »
Glad you are enjoying yourself! Thanks for the feedback.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1337 on: January 10, 2022, 09:19:20 AM »

Yeah I'll probably make it an overnight but was hoping I'd still get some runs in Friday night as well. Don't think that's possible with going to the UP. Leaning Cascade right now.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #1338 on: January 11, 2022, 11:02:49 PM »

Indian head, black jack, powder horn or ski brule about 5-6 hours?  Best thing short of the real deal
Don't forget Granite Peak (formerly Rib Mountain) in Wausau.  IMHO as good as Indianhead/Blackjack, etc and much closer than the UP.  Easy drive up 39 and they have extensive snow making.  Go there during the week and it's like you own the place. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1339 on: January 11, 2022, 11:24:07 PM »
I hear Grand Geneva is lovely this time of year

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1340 on: January 12, 2022, 08:07:23 AM »
You may want to consider Sundown, just west of Dubuque on Asbury Road. Not a bad drive from Chicago and Dubuque's hills are not insignificant.

Dubuque: Iowa's skiing capital

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1341 on: January 12, 2022, 08:25:56 AM »
I hear Grand Geneva is lovely this time of year

Villa Olivia too.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1342 on: January 12, 2022, 10:39:04 AM »
Villa Olivia too.

Ha! That reminds me of the time Glow Jr. (a middle-schooler at the time) came back from our spring break trip to Utah with lift tickets from Alta, Brighton, and Snowbird attached to his jacket. One of his classmates saw them and said, "I have never heard of those places, but I bet they aren't as cool as Villa Olivia!"
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1343 on: January 12, 2022, 02:53:56 PM »

I am in Chicago, so the UP is 7-8 hours in a car. Since the drive is north-south, getting stuck in an storm makes that drive hellacious since the storm intensity is with you the mostly whole drive. I learned it's quicker and safer to jump on a plane to hit the western slopes...and of course much superior.

Also, with Midwest skiing, there are usually no board parks and the slopes get clogged with novice boarders sitting on their arses sliding down the mountain.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1344 on: January 12, 2022, 04:31:40 PM »
I am in Chicago, so the UP is 7-8 hours in a car. Since the drive is north-south, getting stuck in an storm makes that drive hellacious since the storm intensity is with you the mostly whole drive. I learned it's quicker and safer to jump on a plane to hit the western slopes...and of course much superior.

Also, with Midwest skiing, there are usually no board parks and the slopes get clogged with novice boarders sitting on their arses sliding down the mountain.

There is board stuff at Cascade and Rib... at least the last two times I was at either.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1345 on: January 14, 2022, 08:05:37 PM »
Moving this from the Fargo thread I hijacked.

I really prefer anywhere in Belgium.  Antwerp is such a great cultural center with so much history.  Ive been there so many times there for work it took going with my wife last month to re-appreciate it as a city.  Bruges, Ghent, Leuven, and Liege is actually quite cool too.

Brussels just feels kind of one note.  I know the palace and such is there, and the EU is there so its quite multicultural, but it really is otherwise unremarkable IMO.

Okay we pulled the trigger and booked a place in Antwerp. I like places with water.
My only regret moving from Brussels to Antwerp is it is further from Lueven. We had planned to abandon the kids one evening and visit “the world’s longest bar” collection of bars in Lueven. Still might do it (kids will be 18 & 17, so no child endangerment) but will cut down on drinking time.
Now thanks to the suggestions here other cities to visit come into play.
Found a near by restaurant called Meat Factory. But any other Belgium suggestions are welcome.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1346 on: January 14, 2022, 08:37:21 PM »

Okay we pulled the trigger and booked a place in Antwerp. I like places with water.
My only regret moving from Brussels to Antwerp is it is further from Lueven. We had planned to abandon the kids one evening and visit “the world’s longest bar” collection of bars in Lueven. Still might do it (kids will be 18 & 17, so no child endangerment) but will cut down on drinking time.
Found a near by restaurant called Meat Factory. But any other Belgium suggestions are welcome.

Meat Factory!! Right off the Grote Market by the Antwerp city government buildings and in the shadow of the cathedral. Actually a pretty solid spot. My first place ever having horse which was actually pretty dang good.

Bonaparte around the corner is a fun karaoke bar

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1347 on: January 14, 2022, 09:21:59 PM »

I haven't been to Antwerp in 5 yrs but Troubadour was excellent.  It may be a bit pricey but perhaps check out the menu.  You honest can't go wrong with that one mussels street about a stone's throw from the Hilton.  Belgium is of course beer heaven.  Remember to be safe. :)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1348 on: February 02, 2022, 08:56:34 PM »
Heading to Playa Del Carmen tomorrow, anyone got a recommendation? Food? Bar? Brewery? Hikes? Boxing gym?
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1349 on: February 11, 2022, 04:05:13 PM »
Heading to Maldives and then the UAE for my honeymoon starting next weekend.

We moved our reservation in the Maldives to accommodate a resort stay we were able to find an opening for in Dubai.  In doing so, my wife mistakenly planned a 2 day date change on our flight there from Chicago instead of just 1 (leaving the wee hours of the morning of the 19th, arriving the morning of the 20th in Male).  So our reservation begins the 21st.

So arranging our seaplane, I tell the hotel whoops, we messed up our dates so we will be spending a night at a beachfront hotel in Male and then proceeding as planned on the morning of the 21st.   Well, come to find out, they will ONLY receive guests directly from the airport due to COVID, nowhere else, not even other Marriott properties in the country.  You need a negative test to even board a flight to the Maldives, and Marriott does all their own testing and whatnot when you arrive, but I guess its their way of completely negating any additional risk.

Thank GOD they had another "reasonable" (only in the Maldives would I consider the price reasonable and only since the rest of the stay is on points) room at the property for the 20th otherwise I'm not sure what we would have done as they casually suggested we just "change your flight to a day later" as if thats a simple easy solution  ::)  At the end of the day, it was our mistake, I have to respect rules even if it seems a bit much, but could be worse...though they definitely tried to double charge us for seaplane flights and then continued to argue as I had 2 reservations which means 2 round trips per person  :o