[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Two and Done?  (Read 9019 times)

SaveOD238

• All American
Two and Done?
« on: March 22, 2018, 09:50:05 AM »
Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, but I like this idea.  A lot.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22860872/big-east-replace-1-done-2-none

The two-or-none policy is similar to what exists in baseball and hockey, two sports where we rarely hear complaints about student-athletes getting paid.  It allows the 5-star talents to go straight to the NBA from high school, but it solidifies the college game by requiring players to stay two years.  Sure, college hoops won't have DeAndre Aytons anymore, but for every Ayton there are 10 Jalen Brunsons or Jimmy Butlers who aren't able to go straight to the league.

The other piece of the proposal is to create a "high-level" players task force that helps manage the agent/draft process for elite players.  It seems a lot more reasonable for the NCAA to find ways to moderate the money issues with elite players by bringing them out into the open, rather than banning everything and forcing it under the table.  It's the same idea as legalizing marijuana and then regulating it, rather than keeping it illegal and thus creating a crime-ridden black market.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Two and Done?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 09:56:05 AM »
The NBA and NCAA need to get together to work on this.  Allow anyone over 18 to be drafted and then have the team work with the player on what may be his best options:  NBA, G-League immediately, or go to college.  They could even participate on NBA summer league teams in between college seasons.

After two years, the NBA team can either sign them or rescind their draft rights.  Allow agents to advise players as well.

Similar to what hockey does.  It works fine.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 10:01:52 AM »
The NBA and NCAA need to get together to work on this.  Allow anyone over 18 to be drafted and then have the team work with the player on what may be his best options:  NBA, G-League immediately, or go to college.  They could even participate on NBA summer league teams in between college seasons.

After two years, the NBA team can either sign them or rescind their draft rights.  Allow agents to advise players as well.

Similar to what hockey does.  It works fine.
The problem with this is that it makes it much easier to tank.
Have a terrible year.  Get your top 5 pick, tell him to go to college so that you can tank next year, get another top 5 pick, put him in the G league for a year, so you can get another top 5 pick.  Then bring all three "rookies" together after three years of intentional tanking. 

I think that if you take a player out of high school there should be a rule in place that you can't take another until the original player is officially in the league, although I could think of quite a few loopholes that teams could come up with to get around this as well.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 10:03:38 AM »
They could even participate on NBA summer league teams in between college seasons.

This might be a little too close to professionalism for the NCAA, but what about a program like the summer wood bat baseball leagues like the Northwoods League?  There would be a huge market for this, especially in the medium-sized cities that can only host minor-league sports.  Racine would host a team, I'm sure.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 10:10:31 AM »
Have a terrible year.  Get your top 5 pick, tell him to go to college so that you can tank next year, get another top 5 pick, put him in the G league for a year, so you can get another top 5 pick.  Then bring all three "rookies" together after three years of intentional tanking. 

I think that if you take a player out of high school there should be a rule in place that you can't take another until the original player is officially in the league, although I could think of quite a few loopholes that teams could come up with to get around this as well.

I see no difference between that system and the one they could just shove them into the d league now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »

Either than or have the NBA implement the wheel system for its draft rather than basing it on the records from the year before.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2013/12/23/report-nba-considering-doing-away-with-draft-lottery-going-to-30-year-set-wheel-cycle/

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 10:11:59 AM »
Wouldn't this just create the same problem as the 1 and done but one year later into a players' career?

There are guys almost every year who coming out of high school are thought to be solid players but far from NBA ready prospects that blow up their freshman year that would be forced to spend a second year in college.  Heck, Trae Young this year is an example of this.  He would've been far from a sure fire high school to NBA lottery pick had he been able to, probably could've used the year in college, but now is obviously ready to enter the NBA Draft.  But he'd be penalized for going to college at all and required to stay at Oklahoma for another season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 10:12:36 AM »
This might be a little too close to professionalism for the NCAA, but what about a program like the summer wood bat baseball leagues like the Northwoods League?  There would be a huge market for this, especially in the medium-sized cities that can only host minor-league sports.  Racine would host a team, I'm sure.

Yeah I think the entire problem is the NCAA's obsession with amateaurism anyway.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 10:13:19 AM »
I see no difference between that system and the one they could just shove them into the d league now.
If they go to college they'd be guaranteed to be 2 years away from the NBA. Correct me if I'm wrong but players can go from the d league to the NBA and back multiple times in the same season.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 10:14:57 AM »
If they go to college they'd be guaranteed to be 2 years away from the NBA. Correct me if I'm wrong but players can go from the d league to the NBA and back multiple times in the same season.
[/quote
But if a team is intentionally ranking to get another pick the next year then they can have that guy in the d league all year.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 10:17:05 AM »
What happens if a guy signs an LOI and decides afterwards (say, well after the spring signing period) that he wants to declare for the draft?
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 10:18:35 AM »

In theory, this could be a problem, but not in the scenario you're proposing... the odds of having a HS player in the top 5 of a draft and being in a position to draft said player in a single year are long enough, let alone three years in a row.

Not to mention, if you're drafted in the top 5, you're not going to want to postpone your $multi-million payday for 1-2 years.

This would be more of a risk with guys at the bottom of the 2nd round... but then, nobody's tanking to get the 49th pick in the draft.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 10:19:51 AM »
What happens if a guy signs an LOI and decides afterwards (say, well after the spring signing period) that he wants to declare for the draft?

They may be drafted and have choices to make.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 10:21:24 AM »
Also if this is done at the ncaa level what's stopping the player from saying dueces at the end of year one since they can't actually stop them legally.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 10:22:13 AM »

Happens every year with hockey and baseball players.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 10:23:12 AM »
#Unleash

True and I think that's one of the biggest problems in the NBA right now, and I don't think this solves it.
What Philly did to get a top 3 pick four years in a row should have absolutely not been allowed. 

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 10:28:06 AM »
Also if this is done at the ncaa level what's stopping the player from saying dueces at the end of year one since they can't actually stop them legally.

NCAA can't do it by themselves. They'd have to work with the NBA, just like the NCAA does with the NHL and MLB

Seashells

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 10:50:17 AM »
The draft is in June.  If kids get drafted, when would they decide on whether to go to college?  July or August?  That's pretty close to the start of the fall semester.  If Kentucky has four players decide they want to go to the NBA in the late summer, their available scholarship players will be pretty low.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 10:59:34 AM »
The draft is in June.  If kids get drafted, when would they decide on whether to go to college?  July or August?  That's pretty close to the start of the fall semester.  If Kentucky has four players decide they want to go to the NBA in the late summer, their available scholarship players will be pretty low.
You make a very valid point, but at the same time I think there would be very little sympathy for teams like Kentucky or Duke if this did happen.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 11:02:39 AM »
Pay the players what they're worth and poof all the recruiting violations go away.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 11:10:28 AM »

Why is it so many are far more concerned with protecting the best interests of the billion dollar industries involved here, and not those of the individual kids?
If that happens to Kentucky, tough. They, and everyone else, will have to adjust their recruiting priorities to the new reality. Again, hockey programs have been dealing with this for a few decades (and even worse, when you consider 18-year-old players also have the option to play Canadian junior hockey) and somehow have managed to survive.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 11:23:24 AM »
Have the draft lottery include every team and give each team with an equal shot.  Eliminate the incentive for teams to be bad.

The current system rewards teams for being bad. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 11:39:56 AM »
Have the draft lottery include every team and give each team with an equal shot.  Eliminate the incentive for teams to be bad.

Then how do the bad teams ever get good or have hope?  Then, why as a fan am I going to the games?  Its not like other sports where you might find a gem who will become a superstar in the later rounds, or even late in the first round.  I understand something has to be done about tanking, but not sure avoiding giving any advantage to the poorer teams is the answer. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 11:41:42 AM »

I think they should have a single elimination tournament for all the NBA teams that don't make the playoffs. Seed it so the better your record, the easier your path. Winners advance and the tournament champ gets the #1 overall seed. Include loser brackets so every pick is determined on the court and you have to win to get rewarded. It would also encourage teams in the lottery to play well late to get the best seeding.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 11:45:51 AM »
I think they should have a single elimination tournament for all the NBA teams that don't make the playoffs. Seed it so the better your record, the easier your path. Winners advance and the tournament champ gets the #1 overall seed. Include loser brackets so every pick is determined on the court and you have to win to get rewarded. It would also encourage teams in the lottery to play well late to get the best seeding.

Then you're better off being the first team out of the playoffs than the last team in, so you'll have the odd spectacle of borderline teams fighting to not make the playoffs.  The NBA is an unusual league because in any given year roughly 75% of the teams that make the playoffs have a less than 1% chance of winning the title.  The other leagues teams can think "if we just sneak into the playoffs and get hot at the right time we could win a championship."  Not so in the NBA.  Don't know how you fix that.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

feedback