[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Griping and negativity thread  (Read 2234 times)

tower912

• All American
Griping and negativity thread
« on: March 20, 2018, 08:32:38 PM »
Bring it here.    Let those wanting to take fond memories have them.    You, Jonny and Haymaker.   

I thought that the character of posters was revealed as much as the character of the team.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Griping and negativity thread
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 08:36:26 PM »
Bring it here.    Let those wanting to take fond memories have them.    You, Jonny and Haymaker.   

I thought that the character of posters was revealed as much as the character of the team.   

You're just not a real fan, tower.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 08:38:09 PM »
I thought the character of the team was exemplary.    I thought some of our posters took the ethos and philosophy that is supposed to be part of the Marquette educational experienced and took a large dump on it. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

connie

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 09:00:45 PM »
It's a sports fan message board, not a qualification for sainthood.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 09:02:32 PM »

See Tower’s player grades. Posts aren’t his strong suit.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 10:21:33 PM »

MUScoop is pretty important.  The Pope is a Jesuit, you know. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 08:06:12 AM »
This thread Scoop Everything sucks.

Hope that is broad enough to cover it.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 10:03:39 AM »
You say negativity, I say realistic.  I'll play by the rules and list my realistic issues/concerns for next year:

-Four years in, there is no reason to believe or be optimistic that Wojo can put together or coach a solid defensive team.  And it hasn't just been talent- guys out of position, lack of communication, late rotations, periods of poor effort.  That is coaching.

-We lose a guy who just put up the best scoring season in MU history and carried the offense in certain games, and almost entirely the last month of this season. Assuming the offense will be just as good or better without him is a wild assumption, IMO. 

-No PG.  Everyone says we need a true PG with size, who can defend, who can distribute, who can shoot, and can step in immediately next year.  Who is this guy?  Players like that don't grow on trees.  Any grad transfer or HS recruit remaining that meets these requirements will have every program in the nation after him.

-Hauser brothers health. 

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 12:41:51 PM »

I think you need to think a lot harder about what character actually is. Posts on a message board mean very little.

joparks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 06:30:11 PM »
If I'm negative, then so be it.  My positivity will come when I see that there is some improvement overall in the way MU defends the ball and basket.  Until that happens, we'll continue to be in the wilderness.  What is funny is that the year we had Ellenson, I thought that was our worst defensive team and we had slowly improved from there.  It's actually been the opposite of that.  That was Wojo's best defensive squad and we have slipped from there.  That said, there has to be a significant amount of improvement in the defense.  From the players to the scheme.  This team needs to turn the corner and start arcing in the other direction from a defensive standpoint.  He's got his guys now.  I realize it takes time.  If he knows what he's doing, we should start seeing some results.  I want the guy to succeed...because I like him and I don't want to start over.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 06:39:19 PM »
I'm on board with Wojo, but I am significantly concerned about the defense. I thought 2016-17 was going to be a low-water mark. I understood that Wojo was working with quite a few Buzz guys that weren't recruited to fit in his system. Luke was never a great defender, JJ was a gambler who took himself out of position constantly, so fine, not a great defensive team. This year, we added length, we had more experience in the system for our key players, and it was all Wojo's guys. And we were worse.

Now I'm supposed to believe that removing Rowsey and adding Morrow and Joey will change things? I'm skeptical. We still have a ton of guys that are too skinny. We still have Markus, who will likely lead us in minutes and can't defend his own shadow. And we still have a system that relies too heavily on switches and high hedges that leaves guys overmatched and out of position which leads to foul trouble.

I really hope it's better next year, but I am not optimistic about our defense. I don't see a zone in the making (though we may have the makeup for it next year) and am not convinced Wojo's M2M adherence will pay off.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback