[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BET/MSG - VRBO & Neighborhood Suggestions  (Read 2186 times)

Benny B

• All American
BET/MSG - VRBO & Neighborhood Suggestions
« on: March 20, 2018, 12:16:01 PM »
Benny has never been to the BET, or even to NYC for that matter.  So in an effort to over-prepare for things as Benny typically does, Benny thinks it would be in his best interests to do a dry run to NYC sometime this spring.  Unfortunately, hotels are off the table, so Benny needs a bit more insight/intel before schlepping the family to a rental in the middle of Manhattan somewhere.

In looking at VRBO, there seems to be a multitude of options in the vicinity of MSG, the closest of which appear to be in either Hells Kitchen, Midtown, East Village and Kips Bay.

If travelling with three kids, what would the locals and veteran NYC travelers recommend as far as neighborhoods go?  Walkability isn't a major concern, but we're not schlepping car seats around, so accessibility to public transportation is important.  Safety is the foremost concern.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

fjm

• All American
Re: BET/MSG - VRBO & Neighborhood Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 12:26:29 PM »
Hey Benny,

My parents and I are also doing NYC BET next year (with the hopes that MU will be solid).

We are also going to do AIRBNB or VRBO. If I hear anything I'll let ya know!

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »
The MSG is right near Penn Station so you could stay at any place along one of the Metro lines that go there.

I don't know your budget, but if you are 'ballin on a budget', then I would consider looking at places in Jersey City near a PATH stop (e.g., Journal Square).  The PATH trains are cheap, quick, and they stop a few blocks from MSG.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 01:04:54 PM »
The MSG is right near Penn Station so you could stay at any place along one of the Metro lines that go there.

I don't know your budget, but if you are 'ballin on a budget', then I would consider looking at places in Jersey City near a PATH stop (e.g., Journal Square).  The PATH trains are cheap, quick, and they stop a few blocks from MSG.
This is a good suggestion, especially for someone with younger children.  Easy access to Manhattan, without Manhattan costs and associated craziness.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 01:35:37 PM »

"Right near" is right there.   Penn Station literally sits beneath Madison Square Garden.  It's underground between Seventh Avenue and Eighth Avenue and between 31st and 34th Streets.
Ludum habemus.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 04:01:57 PM »

If travelling with three kids, what would the locals and veteran NYC travelers recommend as far as neighborhoods go?  Walkability isn't a major concern, but we're not schlepping car seats around, so accessibility to public transportation is important.  Safety is the foremost concern.

Was in NYC for spring break with a 2 year old last year.  UberBlack has an option where you can request cars with car seats.  They are compact and most of the drivers had them installed in a few seconds.  Was a great option, and reasonable cost.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 04:17:33 PM »
I wouldn't stay in Jersey.  When I stay overnight I usually stay in Midtown.  (Prefer 57th Street area for easy access to Central Park.)  You can find reasonable rates (for NYC) if you look.  I saw Hilton (I think) for example by Grand Central Terminal listed surprisingly reasonable.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 05:32:00 AM »
Unless it's a building of less than three units, rentals of under thirty days are prohibited by NY state law. They are pretty proactive about enforcement. Plus they are usually against condo rules and doormen watch out as well. So listings you see in Manhattan are usually illegal at best and a scam at worst. New Jersey has no such prohibition.
I stayed once in Long Island City (not Long Island), a neighborhood in Queens right across the river. Short subway ride to midtown. You should be able to get a decent price in Manhattan (we went several years ago to the BET and did so) but if not look there, many hotels have gone up there.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 06:20:45 AM »
I wouldn't stay in Jersey.  When I stay overnight I usually stay in Midtown.  (Prefer 57th Street area for easy access to Central Park.)  You can find reasonable rates (for NYC) if you look.  I saw Hilton (I think) for example by Grand Central Terminal listed surprisingly reasonable.

I agree that hotel rates in Manhattan are often surprisingly cheap, but Benny specifically said "no hotels."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 10:06:25 AM »
I agree that hotel rates in Manhattan are often surprisingly cheap, but Benny specifically said "no hotels."

Thank you.  Hotels are not an option, at least not when travelling with my "entourage."   Just the wife and I, sure, hotels, great.

My primary concerns are safety and cleanliness.  I know that hoping for the latter in NYC is like going to DPRK and hoping to see everyone well-nourished.  So what my question is really about is safety... specifically, neighborhoods/areas to outright avoid, what areas might be safe during the day but less than sketchy at night, where can you walk to/from a restaurant or bodega with three kids without them hoping that Batman is watching over us, etc.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 10:12:04 AM »
Thank you.  Hotels are not an option, at least not when travelling with my "entourage."   Just the wife and I, sure, hotels, great.

My primary concerns are safety and cleanliness.  I know that hoping for the latter in NYC is like going to DPRK and hoping to see everyone well-nourished.  So what my question is really about is safety... specifically, neighborhoods/areas to outright avoid, what areas might be safe during the day but less than sketchy at night, where can you walk to/from a restaurant or bodega with three kids without them hoping that Batman is watching over us, etc.

Bud. I think your Midwestern white is showing a bit to much. Most of new York is safe and clean.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 10:20:15 AM »
Bud. I think your Midwestern white is showing a bit to much. Most of new York is safe and clean.

And most of Chicago is safe and clean.  But there are areas where I wouldn't suggest taking a family out on a jaunt.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 10:56:55 AM »
And most of Chicago is safe and clean.  But there are areas where I wouldn't suggest taking a family out on a jaunt.

If you are worried about walking around mid-town - you probably just should stay home.  Also hotels in mid-town are probably nicer on average than anything on the side of the Interstate.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 12:26:43 PM »

I was going to say the same.  People's misperception of the Big Apple are hilarious.

I'll be there on Saturday to take my kids to see "Waitress" on Broadway.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 12:31:00 PM »
Why knot due like sum natives and just bunk on down on da curb? Literally hada step over a street dude deep in sleep comin' outta a Broadway show, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GOO

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 12:32:57 PM »
Manhattan is amazingly safe and last time I was there for a long weekend, no panhandlers. NYC has done an amazing job, somehow.  It is nice to walk around, take subways, etc.  Even far up in Harlem is relatively safe. 

Nothing like Chicago - can't go a few block without some strung out person asking for money.  Chicago needs to take a few lessons from NYC.  Whatever NYC has done, sure has worked.  I you feel safe in Chicago, Manhattan will feel like your at Disney.

I for one, don't think it is all that important where you stay in the Manhattan area, as long as you will be taking subways. Personally, I avoid Mid-town.  I also avoid times square. Really no reason to be in times square unless your seeing a show or like to eat at big commercial chains.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:35:00 PM by GOO »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 12:37:29 PM »
Really no reason to be in times square unless your seeing a show or like to eat at big commercial chains.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 01:11:51 PM »
Manhattan is amazingly safe and last time I was there for a long weekend, no panhandlers. NYC has done an amazing job, somehow.  It is nice to walk around, take subways, etc.  Even far up in Harlem is relatively safe. 

Nothing like Chicago - can't go a few block without some strung out person asking for money.  Chicago needs to take a few lessons from NYC.  Whatever NYC has done, sure has worked.  I you feel safe in Chicago, Manhattan will feel like your at Disney.

I for one, don't think it is all that important where you stay in the Manhattan area, as long as you will be taking subways. Personally, I avoid Mid-town.  I also avoid times square. Really no reason to be in times square unless your seeing a show or like to eat at big commercial chains.

See... this is good advice.  Thank you.

feedback