[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Farewell Thread  (Read 20867 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Big East Farewell Thread
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2018, 02:23:11 PM »
Lots of talking heads going on about how Spellman and DD were the two most impressive players at Day 1 of the combine. If both of them go, the Big East will be facing one of the biggest talent sucks in recent high major history. If Ponds, Govan, and Strus go on top of that....Big East will be wide open next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2018, 02:28:25 PM »
Lots of talking heads going on about how Spellman and DD were the two most impressive players at Day 1 of the combine. If both of them go, the Big East will be facing one of the biggest talent sucks in recent high major history. If Ponds, Govan, and Strus go on top of that....Big East will be wide open next season.

Seriously, I mean having 2 kids on the preseason First Team might be pretty sweet.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2018, 02:50:56 PM »

Wide open, yes. But also way down.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »
I agree. St John's Twitter went crazy when I suggested something was wrong, but they are essentially rebooting every year. I don't know how long losing half your roster can be sustainable.
Usually hometown fans turn on their coach and such. Outsiders say give it time.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:02:53 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2018, 07:26:20 PM »
Usually hometown fans turn on their coach and suck. Outsiders say give it time.

I think Mullin was always risky because he will be hard to fire. Management won't want to fire their golden boy, fans won't want to say goodbye to their hero. They are circling the wagons despite some really concerning signs.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2018, 09:37:18 PM »

Spellman forsure gone

And unless DD completely tanks 5 on 5 he’s gone too.

42 inch vert was impressive
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2018, 10:06:58 PM »
Spellman forsure gone

I have the same inklings, though I've been wrong before. Was really surprised Ponds didn't get a combine invite.
TAMU

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2018, 11:17:10 PM »
I think Mullin was always risky because he will be hard to fire. Management won't want to fire their golden boy, fans won't want to say goodbye to their hero. They are circling the wagons despite some really concerning signs.
I wasn't old enough at the time to realize if this was indeed the case but Bart Starr came to mind when I read this.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2018, 06:17:10 AM »
Spellman forsure gone

watched the NBA draft combine on.nba tv last night.  The announcers said he was one of the most impressive in 5 on 5. Hit a high percentage of his 3's. They even joked he should sit out day 2. To quote e someone on here...he gowne

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2018, 09:24:46 PM »
Saint John's losing another player to transfer. Boubacar Diakite, he pulled a Joey Hauser and enrolled at Saint John's early and redshirtted. Was a three star recruit coming out of high school.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think there's something smelly in MullinLand. They've had a few odd and surprising transfers and decommits since he took over. Assuming Diakite is made to sit a year, this will be the second year in a row that a freshman has opted to transfer and sit out a year before starting their career at St. John's. Sid Wilson was the recruit last season.
Set forth below is a link to a research report that details the current state of the Johnnies roster.
https://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2018/5/18/17369342/boubacar-diakite-transfer-st-johns
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2018, 06:07:16 PM »
Govan announces that he is coming back. I don't think Georgetown is a tournament team next season, but I think they surprise some people. Could see them in the NIT.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2018, 06:38:02 PM »
Govan announces that he is coming back. I don't think Georgetown is a tournament team next season, but I think they surprise some people. Could see them in the NIT.

Agreed. Young but deep in the backcourt and Govan insures they still have a go to big man.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2018, 07:24:21 PM »
Saint John's losing another player to transfer. Boubacar Diakite, he pulled a Joey Hauser and enrolled at Saint John's early and redshirtted. Was a three star recruit coming out of high school.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think there's something smelly in MullinLand. They've had a few odd and surprising transfers and decommits since he took over. Assuming Diakite is made to sit a year, this will be the second year in a row that a freshman has opted to transfer and sit out a year before starting their career at St. John's. Sid Wilson was the recruit last season.

Diakite’s knee injury was more serious than originally thought. He was a reach as a BE difference maker at the start, now he’s MAAC at best. Mutual decision, best for all parties.

Wilson’s departure is on of the things UConn will use to rebut Ollie’s lawsuit.

MU has had multiple players leave before playing a game too.....during the year too. You might want to smell yourself first before claiming there is a gas leak.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 07:26:24 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2018, 07:49:01 PM »
Diakite’s knee injury was more serious than originally thought. He was a reach as a BE difference maker at the start, now he’s MAAC at best. Mutual decision, best for all parties.

MU has had multiple players leave before playing a game too.....during the year too. You might want to smell yourself first before claiming there is a gas leak.
Well done.
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2018, 08:20:20 PM »

The obvious difference being that this is happening to Mullin in year 4 with no real explanation. If he was bringing in undeniable talents, like Henry Ellenson while Gabe Levin was biding his time, you'd be right. Or if those midseason transfers were focal points of the offense like Marcus Lovett, but they aren't.

I think it's pretty obvious something is foul in the state of St Johnmark. It isn't that there are red flags, it's that there are huge red flags dripping gallons of blood while simultaneously burning with acrid smoke that has blotted out the sun.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2018, 10:08:22 PM »

Just sniffed, lemony fresh.

Marquette had transfers but the team was getting better. St. John's has had transfers and the team is projected to miss the postseason yet again. And none of Marquette's transfers were as talented as LoVett. Obvious differences.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2018, 10:58:23 PM »
Just sniffed, lemony fresh.

Marquette had transfers but the team was getting better. St. John's has had transfers and the team is projected to miss the postseason yet again. And none of Marquette's transfers were as talented as LoVett. Obvious differences.
Lovett quit the team he did not transfer. He got hurt after the seventh game and did not want to risk injury by coming back. He was also academically ineligible the first year . So he had some issues . St Johns is inherently an unstable program as the school is primarily a commuter school in a mediocre, at best, location. No school spirit etc so if a kids basketball has any hiccups he is quick to leave as there is nothing solid to counterbalance . St Johns has tried to go the foreign player route and that also is inherently unstable. They put time and effort into the Mussolini kid and just as they were getting some value out of him he left to go back to Italy and play on a lower level league. In order for St Johns to compete they need to do what Seton Hall did and get one great class and somehow hold on to most of them . Easier said than done.
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2018, 11:58:41 PM »
Lovett quit the team he did not transfer. He got hurt after the seventh game and did not want to risk injury by coming back. He was also academically ineligible the first year . So he had some issues . St Johns is inherently an unstable program as the school is primarily a commuter school in a mediocre, at best, location. No school spirit etc so if a kids basketball has any hiccups he is quick to leave as there is nothing solid to counterbalance . St Johns has tried to go the foreign player route and that also is inherently unstable. They put time and effort into the Mussolini kid and just as they were getting some value out of him he left to go back to Italy and play on a lower level league. In order for St Johns to compete they need to do what Seton Hall did and get one great class and somehow hold on to most of them . Easier said than done.

You are correct, LoVett did not transfer, poor phrasing on my part.

The rest of you post seems to support my hypothesis that something is smelly in MullinLand.
TAMU

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2018, 09:11:40 AM »
Any word on Happ?  I would still be surprised if he stays in, but I would have though he'd announce his decision by now. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2018, 09:42:01 AM »
Any word on Happ?  I would still be surprised if he stays in, but I would have though he'd announce his decision by now.

No word, I would also be surprised if he stayed in. Not all players feel the need to make an announcement.
TAMU

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2018, 09:48:20 AM »
No word, I would also be surprised if he stayed in. Not all players feel the need to make an announcement.
No where near deadline yet
Why bail early???
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2018, 09:58:52 AM »
Why bail early???

Isn't the deadline tomorrow? 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2018, 10:00:18 AM »
Why bail early???

Deadline to return to college is tomorrow.  Which can be confusing since there is another later withdrawal date.  You just can't return to college, so the later date is most applicable to foreign prospects.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2018, 10:26:42 AM »
Isn't the deadline tomorrow?

To return to college, yes. Lots of announcements have come in today, mostly players returning. Most interesting report has been Mustapha Heron. Supposedly he is going to return to college but transfer from Auburn. Would easily be the best player to hit the transfer market this year. Possibly the best player to hit the transfer market in several years.
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2018, 10:35:27 AM »
To return to college, yes. Lots of announcements have come in today, mostly players returning. Most interesting report has been Mustapha Heron. Supposedly he is going to return to college but transfer from Auburn. Would easily be the best player to hit the transfer market this year. Possibly the best player to hit the transfer market in several years.

Saw that.  Will be interesting to see where he lands.  Surprised he is OK taking a year off.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.