[Today at 12:09:51 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's future  (Read 17113 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: Wojo's future
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2018, 12:15:18 PM »
No.  Don't recall us finishing 5-13 in conference, with 2 defeats coming in double OT, and 2 more defeats coming in OT.  We were 4-14 with 2 OT games. 

GTown was thought to be a dumpster fire this year.  Went to OT with Syracuse.  They went to OT against Butler and Xavier.  Took us to OT.  Actually beat Butler this year, which qualifies as a better win than we achieved this year per Pomeroy.

So.  All in all.  A "decent" first year by Ewing benchmarked against expectations and Year 1 under Wojo. 

What's your best guess as to where GTown will be in Year 4 of the Ewing regime?

This would be a great poll.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2018, 12:16:02 PM »
Also predicted to finish around 7th in the Big East.  Marquette was who they thought we would be.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2018, 12:23:25 PM »
Also predicted to finish around 7th in the Big East.  Marquette was who they thought we would be.

And was one game out of 3rd place (and 4 games out of 8th).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2018, 06:47:43 AM »
Hats off to Wojo for overachieving this year.  I mean, our defense was awful, right?  Like 175 bad.  Yet Wojo somehow squeezed all he could out of this awful defensive team.  He took that 175th ranked defense and turned it into a top 55 Ken Pom team.

Kudos to Wojo!

Charlotte Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2018, 07:48:13 AM »
Hats off to Wojo for overachieving this year.  I mean, our defense was awful, right?  Like 175 bad.  Yet Wojo somehow squeezed all he could out of this awful defensive team.  He took that 175th ranked defense and turned it into a top 55 Ken Pom team.

Kudos to Wojo!

I agree!!   I mean heck yeah, meeting expectations is Awesome!!!  Give him a Huge Raise !  YEAH!!!  Wojo's also a great coach because he has moved expectations so low, he'll always meet them.   YEAH!!   He's gonna be here forever!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)  Let's Celebrate.  Everyone, start hitting Twitter thanking Wojo for meeting expectations.   Makes me so happy.   7th place, just missed out on 4th.   WOHOOO!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:50:47 AM by Charlotte Warrior »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2018, 07:53:11 AM »

Kudos to Wojo!

Agreed. He just needs to get rid of the guy who is giving him these awful defensive players, then MU will be really good again.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2018, 08:13:02 AM »
If Lovell felt this was a great season, either he has little interest in being a big time program or he has too much Panther blood in him. In  today's twitter world I would have expected a similar type tweet from MU. IMO, I hope it is simply window dressing and not what the expectations from the university are for the program.
Well said, Goose. As long as Lovell and all the Wojo Kool Aiders keep loving the mediocrity of current performance, MU will remain just that--MIDDLE OF THE PACK TO BOTTOM TIER BEAST, with an occasional lucky trip to the dance and 1st round loss.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2018, 08:13:44 AM »
And was one game out of 3rd place (and 4 games out of 8th).
Wooda, cooda, shooda spin.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2018, 08:19:04 AM »
Wooda, cooda, shooda spin.

Willie if wed beaten Depaul and gotten third you'd still be griping. Your posts honestly amount to someone shouting "I like being pissed off"
Maigh Eo for Sam

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2018, 08:25:59 AM »
What program in the Big East is a realistic benchmark for you?
Well, considering all the gurus here that keep throwing out the lame defense of Wojo by comparing him to Wright at Villanova, then the Benchmark should be Villanova. Hopefully we get there next year, rather than later, because after all, we will be really, really good next year. And Wojo will have all of his guys to make up for any that he made a mistake on. Thats it, we need to wait until we are sure that Wojo's guys all are performing at high level, before we establish expectations. Yes, now we need to offer up the excuse that we need bigger Guards, including a 6 foot 8 PG, ala Magic, that will ensure BEast superiority.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2018, 08:41:12 AM »
Well, considering all the gurus here that keep throwing out the lame defense of Wojo by comparing him to Wright at Villanova, then the Benchmark should be Villanova. Hopefully we get there next year, rather than later, because after all, we will be really, really good next year. And Wojo will have all of his guys to make up for any that he made a mistake on. Thats it, we need to wait until we are sure that Wojo's guys all are performing at high level, before we establish expectations. Yes, now we need to offer up the excuse that we need bigger Guards, including a 6 foot 8 PG, ala Magic, that will ensure BEast superiority.
wee whining.  What's new?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2018, 09:10:14 AM »
Willie if wed beaten Depaul and gotten third you'd still be griping. Your posts honestly amount to someone shouting "I like being pissed off"
I like your if
Did not know that you were a psychologist. Or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »
Oh man. Wojo defenders will cry foul but this is truly what it sounds like.

On another note - if anyone is a member of the Marquette Ticket Exchange on Facebook, go view some of the posts and comments that went mini-viral there to get a pulse on the student body. I would say they are more willie than anyone else.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2018, 09:19:07 AM »
Dude, willie complained when Buzz was leading MU to an E8 appearance.  willie complains about everything.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2018, 09:44:27 AM »
I like your if
Did not know that you were a psychologist. Or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Dude, willie complained when Buzz was leading MU to an E8 appearance.  willie complains about everything.

What Sultan said is all the evidence I need
Maigh Eo for Sam

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2018, 09:58:32 AM »
Lovell is far better tweeter than public speaker. Maybe he can tweet at graduation.

Boy Goose you should change your handle to Palm Tree the way you're throwing shade around lately!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2018, 12:05:18 PM »
I don't have a KenPom subscription, but I'm pretty sure that Butler, Creighton, and Providence were all projected to go into the NCAA tournament preseason. If you go by KenPom, Providence actually massively underachieved. They were rated in the 70s by KenPom, one of the lowest in history for an at large team.

The reality is, we ended up exactly where we were supposed to. We just don't like the reality that those expectations were outside the NCAA tournament.

Well, if you go by the preseason Big East Coaches poll...Butler was picked to finish 8th...behind MU..They definitely overachieved based on that.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2018, 12:26:12 PM »

Which part of the Jay Wright era?

The part where he won nine games in both his sixth and seventh seasons as coach?

The part where he averaged eight conference wins in his 10th, 11th, and 12th seasons?

The part where he hasn't made it out of the first weekend of the NCAA in 11 of his 17 seasons as coach?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2018, 12:31:49 PM »

I always think of this song whenever willie posts.  25 years ago this bar/club in New Haven called Boppers used to love playing this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM6I-pmV0RA

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2018, 12:34:40 PM »
Well, if you go by the preseason Big East Coaches poll...Butler was picked to finish 8th...behind MU..They definitely overachieved based on that.

So getting 6th (tied for 7th) instead of 8th in conference....I guess that's over-achievement. Pretty insignificant over-achievement but if that's how you want to set your goals.

And if that's your standard, than Marquette met expectations!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Charlotte Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2018, 12:47:00 PM »
Which part of the Jay Wright era?

The part where he won nine games in both his sixth and seventh seasons as coach?

The part where he averaged eight conference wins in his 10th, 11th, and 12th seasons?

The part where he hasn't made it out of the first weekend of the NCAA in 11 of his 17 seasons as coach?

If your plan to defend Wojo starts by ripping Jay Wright and what he's accomplished for Nova. Wow, just Wow.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2018, 12:57:22 PM »
I expect Georgetown to pass up MU in the near future.  Not because Ewing is a better coach than Wojo. It is because I believe the Georgetown program is more likely to recruit top bigmen. As John Wooden said the better coach is the one with the better players.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2018, 01:01:55 PM »
No.  Don't recall us finishing 5-13 in conference, with 2 defeats coming in double OT, and 2 more defeats coming in OT.  We were 4-14 with 2 OT games. 

GTown was thought to be a dumpster fire this year.  Went to OT with Syracuse.  They went to OT against Butler and Xavier.  Took us to OT.  Actually beat Butler this year, which qualifies as a better win than we achieved this year per Pomeroy.

So.  All in all.  A "decent" first year by Ewing benchmarked against expectations and Year 1 under Wojo. 

What's your best guess as to where GTown will be in Year 4 of the Ewing regime?
Purely on results, Wojo and Ewing's first years are very similar. 

For Ewing & Georgetown's future - my guess is next year they'll be better, maybe 8 BE wins?  Year 3: They lose Govan and Derrickson, so I doubt they'll see much improvement vs year 2.  Year 4: Too hard to tell without knowing what recruits they'll have.  So if I had to guess - in year 4 they might be a bubble team? But it's really hard to guess at this point.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »
I expect Georgetown to pass up MU in the near future.  Not because Ewing is a better coach than Wojo. It is because I believe the Georgetown program is more likely to recruit top bigmen. As John Wooden said the better coach is the one with the better players.

College basketball is a guards game. Ewing could for sure pass us 10 years ago when classic bigs still mattered.
Maigh Eo for Sam

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2018, 01:57:23 PM »
wee whining.  What's new?
Who is we? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

feedback