[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: USC PLAYERS choosing not to play in NIT?!  (Read 16691 times)

mug644

• All American
USC PLAYERS choosing not to play in NIT?!
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:26:09 AM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22738396/larry-scott-pac-12-conference-cries-foul-usc-trojans-omission-ncaa-tournament

The article mentions that USC's "decision to accept an invitation to the consolation tournament was made by the USC administration and allowed for the possibility that some of the team's top players -- specifically potential NBA draft pick Chimezie Metu -- could elect not to play."

Wow, your team is playing but you, the star, choose not to play?! I guess it's a bit like football players who choose to not play in a bowl game.

I don't like it at all; it reeks to me of bad character and selfishness. I'm not willing to accept the potential for injury excuse.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:57:21 AM by rocky_warrior »

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: PLAYERS choosing not to play in NIT?!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:30:13 AM »
It's exactly like college football in that it's completely appropriate for the players to decide what they will and will not risk their bodies and livelihoods for.

If Rowsey was 6'2 and had an NBA future, I don't think pursuing an NIT championship is worth the risk.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 08:31:17 AM »
Let them be selfish, It's their future career prospects. Doesn't bother me in football, won't bother me for basketball.

I try to think of it in regards to Marquette. If Rowsey decided he didn't want to play in the NIT for his future pro prospects I wouldn't be mad. Now if it was the NCAA tournament I would be a little disappointed, but I doubt any players would take that route if they were in the big dance.

Edit: GB you beat me to it by 10 seconds.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:33:09 AM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22738396/larry-scott-pac-12-conference-cries-foul-usc-trojans-omission-ncaa-tournament

The article mentions that USC's "decision to accept an invitation to the consolation tournament was made by the USC administration and allowed for the possibility that some of the team's top players -- specifically potential NBA draft pick Chimezie Metu -- could elect not to play."

Wow, your team is playing but you, the star, choose not to play?! I guess it's a bit like football players who choose to not play in a bowl game.

I don't like it at all; it reeks to me of bad character and selfishness. I'm not willing to accept the potential for injury excuse.

Yeah, I don't like it for football, but I get it due to the nature of the sport.  In basketball, they play constantly and the odds of getting hurt in a game are not significantly greater than in a pickup game or practice. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 08:41:45 AM »
I see, we don't like it when the cheap labor decides to protect their long term revenue prospects contrary to our need to be entertained.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mug644

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 08:45:10 AM »
I see, we don't like it when the cheap labor decides to protect their long term revenue prospects contrary to our need to be entertained.

I don't think I'm seeing it that way. I'm looking at it from a teammate perspective. A group has gone this far working together, and suddenly someone is selfish and opts to not play. As a teammate, I would be pissed off. As a scout, I would be unimpressed. As a parent, I would get my kid some insurance.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 08:48:36 AM »
Cost-benefit to the player.  Going full Steph or Kemba and lighting up the NCAA Tournament is great for the player's prospects.  No one ever got the national spotlight from their NIT run. 

Same deal with bowl games - great for players to build their brand in CFP games, far less benefit for a player on a 6-6 team from playing in the Budget Motels Apple Orchard Bowl.

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 08:49:08 AM »
I have no problem at all for players to make decision in their own best interest.  The NIT is about making money for the NCAA (albeit a lot less than the NCAA).  The players should to take control of their careers early on and make decision accordingly.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 08:50:09 AM »

People's desire to be entertained is why they have a scholarship in the first place.  It is literally why they are able to be there.  They aren't cheap labor.  Their compensation package is worth conservatively $80K/year, which is way more than a minor leaguer would get (which is what they are).  There is basically no additional risk to playing in the NIT.  If it is OK to skip the NIT why isn't it OK to skip the NCAA tournament?

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 08:50:36 AM »
Isn't that the equivalent of quitting the team? Can't they lose part of their scholarship?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 08:51:08 AM »
I don't think I'm seeing it that way. I'm looking at it from a teammate perspective. A group has gone this far working together, and suddenly someone is selfish and opts to not play. As a teammate, I would be pissed off. As a scout, I would be unimpressed. As a parent, I would get my kid some insurance.

NBA scouts know better. They know why the player is skipping out.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »
I think the far more interesting part of the article is the reasoning for keeping USC out.  Remember they finished 2nd in the Pac12, this means that finishing 3rd in the Beast would not have guaranteed a bid.  They mention lack of high quality wins, which is something that we share with them.  They also mention record vs tournament teams.  USC only won two games against tournament teams, both mid majors, and went 0-5 against Pac12 teams that made it.  PC, CU, and SH weren't super high seeds, but we still got 5 wins out of a possible six against them.  I realize that the horse is now dead, but it seems like we should have gotten a bid before them considering the reasoning for keeping Southern Cal out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 08:52:02 AM »
Isn't that the equivalent of quitting the team? Can't they lose part of their scholarship?

Yes. They won’t though. No coach would do it and the press would crucify them.

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 08:54:31 AM »
People's desire to be entertained is why they have a scholarship in the first place.  It is literally why they are able to be there.  They aren't cheap labor.  Their compensation package is worth conservatively $80K/year, which is way more than a minor leaguer would get (which is what they are).  There is basically no additional risk to playing in the NIT.  If it is OK to skip the NIT why isn't it OK to skip the NCAA tournament?

You are playing for something in the NCAA, there is nothing to play for in the NIT except getting more experience/playing time.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 08:57:19 AM »
Call me skeptical, but I don't think this has anything to do with players wanting to protect their long-term interests or any of that garbage.  They're clearly making a statement.

You are playing for something in the NCAA, there is nothing to play for in the NIT except getting more experience/playing time.

I get from a fan perspective that the NIT offers very little, but what is it that players are playing for in the NCAA that they aren't in the NIT?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
I think the far more interesting part of the article is the reasoning for keeping USC out.  Remember they finished 2nd in the Pac12, this means that finishing 3rd in the Beast would not have guaranteed a bid.  They mention lack of high quality wins, which is something that we share with them.  They also mention record vs tournament teams.  USC only won two games against tournament teams, both mid majors, and went 0-5 against Pac12 teams that made it.  PC, CU, and SH weren't super high seeds, but we still got 5 wins out of a possible six against them.  I realize that the horse is now dead, but it seems like we should have gotten a bid before them considering the reasoning for keeping Southern Cal out.

Not all power 6 conferences are created equally. You know as well as I do that finishing 3rd in the Big East was much harder than finishing 2nd in the Pac 12 this year. And for us to have finished 3rd we would have needed at least one more win, would have given us another Q1/Q2 win or removed the ugly Q3 loss. Either of those things would have improved our chances of getting a bid.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 08:59:21 AM »

The problem is the "compensation package" isn't really compensation for someone who's there to play ball and leave. That's why calling it "compensation" is misleading. Schools benefit enormously from those players and perhaps the players do too, but not because of the schollies. To the contrary, the value of free tuition is pretty much worthless to a player going early to the League.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 09:04:00 AM »
Not all power 6 conferences are created equally. You know as well as I do that finishing 3rd in the Big East was much harder than finishing 2nd in the Pac 12 this year. And for us to have finished 3rd we would have needed at least one more win, would have given us another Q1/Q2 win or removed the ugly Q3 loss. Either of those things would have improved our chances of getting a bid.
Improved? Yes. Guaranteed? No.

Leaving Southern Cal out just proves that the committee was telling the truth when they said that they don't look at conference standings.  Some people here seemed to think that just because we're one game out of third means we were one game away from the tourney.  Based on our NIT seeding, I still maintain that it would have either taken one big win (X, Nova), or two other wins (St. Johns, DePaul, Georgia).   

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 09:16:02 AM »
Selfish move by any player who does it...but the team is probably better off. 

If the kid is focusing on his future prospects and sees more risk than benefit in this game, his head isn't going to be fully in it anyway. And since situations like this would only occur with seniors (or players who are going to leave early), it opens up more playing time for guys who will likely be back with the team next season. Early preseason game for '18-'19.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 09:16:29 AM »
The 2018 NIT is basically the very early 2018-19 preseason.

If you're an underclassman, go all in!

If you're a senior who's going to be playing in Poland or getting a desk job next year, play your heart out!

If you're going to the NBA, what's the point?

mug644

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 09:23:54 AM »
The 2018 NIT is basically the very early 2018-19 preseason.

If you're an underclassman, go all in!

If you're a senior who's going to be playing in Poland or getting a desk job next year, play your heart out!

If you're going to the NBA, what's the point?

The point is you are a teammate, and your team is still playing and trying to win a championship. To walk away from your team--even if for explicable reasons--is selfish and a disservice to your team and teammates.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »
Honestly, I wouldn’t be upset if Sam or Greg sat out due to their injuries. I’m glad I get to watch them play more, but wouldn’t be mad if they made a decision to be more ready for next year.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 09:26:23 AM »
If I am a legit NBA prospect, I am not playing in the NIT either.

By the way, this thread title is wildly misleading. Makes it seem like Marquette is doing this. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 09:32:39 AM »

You're playing for a championship, though a much lesser championship.  You're playing for your teammates, for your school, for yourself.  Another chance to impress scouts in game action, same as any regular season game you played in.  What are you playing for when you're playing a cupcake you are going to beat by 30 whether you play or not?  Once your team's resume says you're not making the NCAA tournament, why are you playing before the conference tournament starts?  You're not playing for anything.  You play because that's what you agreed to do when you went to the school.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 09:33:45 AM »
You're playing for a championship, though a much lesser championship.  You're playing for your teammates, for your school, for yourself.  Another chance to impress scouts in game action, same as any regular season game you played in.  What are you playing for when you're playing a cupcake you are going to beat by 30 whether you play or not?  Once your team's resume says you're not making the NCAA tournament, why are you playing before the conference tournament starts?  You're not playing for anything.  You play because that's what you agreed to do when you went to the school.

Some of the NIT teams may as well be cupcakes.

feedback