[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Can Markus play PG next season?  (Read 2772 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Can Markus play PG next season?
« on: March 12, 2018, 02:44:54 PM »
Questions abound related to whether he can lead the team and be more of a distributor. (Defensive concerns are for another thread.) I was curious about Andrew Rowsey's development as a point guard over the past two seasons:

2016-17
2.9 assists/game (19.7% ARate per KenPom.com)
1.3 turnovers/game (15.3% TORate)

2017-18
4.6 assists/game (27.4% ARate)
2.8 turnovers/game (16.3% TORate)

In other words, he was able to increase his assist rate by about 40% (easily a career high) without a big spike in turnover percentage. So how does that compare to Markus' stats this season?

2017-18
2.9 assists/game (18.9% ARate)
2.4 turnovers/game (15.1% TORate)

The assist and turnover rate numbers for Andrew a year ago and Markus this season look surprisingly similar. Maybe we'll find a grad transfer who can step right in and allow Markus to play off the ball. Or, it could be that starting point guard won't be the issue many expect with another offseason of development for M2N.

That said, the concerns about backup point guard are valid. Greg's assist rate is just 13.0% versus a 21.6% turnover rate. Yeesh. Not what you look for in a point. I know I'd feel a lot better with another point on the roster, either starting or coming off the bench.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

tower912

• All American
Re: Can Markus play PG next season?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 02:51:39 PM »
Yes.  If no one better is added.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 02:53:32 PM »
Good post. I said something similar a week or so ago. I see no reason why Markus can't develop into at least the level of PG we got from Rowdy. Doesn't mean he will...but I haven't written him off yet.

I'm much more worried about who the backup PG is. Markus can't play 40 minutes a game all season. Elliott I haven't seen anything that makes me confident as a primary ballhandler...but that doesn't mean he won't become one.

All that being said, I am more than down for a stud PG grad transfer who can play a little defense
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 02:59:06 PM »
Last year they had way more in terms of offense. Fischer, JJJ, Duane and Katin are much better than Heldt, Elliot, Cain and Anim. It's not close. People who say he can't handle the ball are crazy, he has great control. He forced too much this year because he had to. I think he'll be a great PG next year. Assuming Morrow is as advertised and the underclassmen improve..

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 03:03:25 PM »
yes. but I think no stone will be left unturned for a legit grad transfer PG.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »
They don't need a stud PG. A guy who isn't allergic to passing and defense will suit them just fine.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 03:17:21 PM »
Good post. I said something similar a week or so ago. I see no reason why Markus can't develop into at least the level of PG we got from Rowdy. Doesn't mean he will...but I haven't written him off yet.

I'm much more worried about who the backup PG is. Markus can't play 40 minutes a game all season. Elliott I haven't seen anything that makes me confident as a primary ballhandler...but that doesn't mean he won't become one.

All that being said, I am more than down for a stud PG grad transfer who can play a little defense

I'm going to reserve judgement on Elliot until I see what he looks like post surgery.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 03:21:44 PM »
I'm going to reserve judgement on Elliot until I see what he looks like post surgery.

Good point. I suppose we won't get any news on that until after the NIT.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 03:44:17 PM »

Not sold on Elliott as a point, even when he gets his thumb taken care of.  Nice 2 guard, but I believe you need to play point your whole life to really understand the
position.  I played point my whole life, pretty good one.  Once I was taken out of the game, we did not have a player who knew how to pass to the bigs or drive to
the hoop, then dish.  It takes time.  Even how hard to throw the ball in, Howard last game threw a pass towards Sam, it was not even close.  Howard is a long way away,
he is a 2 guard.  Once in awhile he makes a nice pass, but both might have to learn on the job.  More importantly than that, both kids have to work in the weight room
to get stronger with the ball and on the D end.  Really need a Sacar Anim type body as a point.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »
Does anyone know what Markus and his family want?  I know it's sort of up to Wojo, but MH has to know that he can't be a 5'10" off guard in the NBA.  Seems weird that based on MU still recruiting at PG for 2018, MH at PG seems like a backup plan. Would think that he carries enough weight to say he'd like to be the guy there. Maybe he's ok with playing off the ball for some 5* (Grimes/Hagans) for the greater good, but not a Courtney Ramey 4* level guy. Kind of rambling, but my point is Markus has to know PG is his best future spot, and has the leverage to sort of demand playing there at this point. So we may not be able to promise 25 min a game for a grad transfer at that position, may have to look at tier 2 guys happy to take a reserve role.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 04:10:42 PM »

+1

He has had a cast on his thumb all season.  Even though it isn't his dominant hand, I would think it has an impact on dribbling and passing.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 04:11:14 PM »
He could but not well
His live ball turnovers are bad, not strong, poor passer, poor vision, bad handle. Cant guard his position.  Lets evaluate the BE point guards that are in the ncaas.  Howard cannot hold their jocks in any category but shooting off the catch.  Hmmm not good
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 04:31:10 PM »
He could but not well
His live ball turnovers are bad, not strong, poor passer, poor vision, bad handle. Cant guard his position.  Lets evaluate the BE point guards that are in the ncaas.  Howard cannot hold their jocks in any category but shooting off the catch.  Hmmm not good

Amazing, and yet the coaches voted him 3rd team all big east. But I guess you’re right.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 04:31:41 PM »
He could but not well

Markus is an elite driver as well. His 2P fg% is one of the best you'll find from guards this season.

Defense and distribution need a lot of work. I don't think his turnovers were that bad this season
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 04:45:51 PM »
Not sold on Elliott as a point, even when he gets his thumb taken care of.  Nice 2 guard, but I believe you need to play point your whole life to really understand the
position.  I played point my whole life, pretty good one.  Once I was taken out of the game, we did not have a player who knew how to pass to the bigs or drive to
the hoop, then dish.  It takes time.  Even how hard to throw the ball in. Howard last game threw a pass towards Sam, it was not even close.  Howard is a long way away,
he is a 2 guard.  Once in awhile he makes a nice pass, but both might have to learn on the job.  More importantly than that, both kids have to work in the weight room
to get stronger with the ball and on the D end.  Really need a Sacar Anim type body as a point.
I am a big supporter of Elliott in a general sense. Love his game and his attitude. After watching him in person a couple of times, it is clear because of the injury he literally played the whole season one handed which in effect meant he had no D1 level  handle. As much as I think he can play the point next yea r if healthy, it would be risky if that was our sole option. Greg has the right PG mind set but he needs to be healthy and as you point out, he needs time to absorb the nuances of the position.

I don't think Markus has the distributor mindset for the postion. For now the two of them will have to share  the position if we don't end up with high performing freshman, a grad transfer or Juco PG.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 04:58:23 PM »
Amazing, and yet the coaches voted him 3rd team all big east. But I guess you’re right.

3rd team all be as a PG??
I like markus just dont think his 2g game translates to a pg
Again compair his across the BE PG board he doesnt stand up

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 05:01:10 PM »
Markus is an elite driver as well. His 2P fg% is one of the best you'll find from guards this season.

Defense and distribution need a lot of work. I don't think his turnovers were that bad this season

Turnover while playing the point were really really bad, his total were scewed by andrew playing pG 35 minutes a game.  I think next seasons sucess is dependant on a capable pg n i dont believe we have one on the current roster

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 05:07:22 PM »
Turnover while playing the point were really really bad, his total were scewed by andrew playing pG 35 minutes a game.  I think next seasons sucess is dependant on a capable pg n i dont believe we have one on the current roster

His handle is fine. Does he have some careless turnovers? Of course. But overall is pretty good. His passing really needs to improve for him to be a successful passer. He is not a very creative passer at this point.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 05:11:58 PM »
He could, but should not. I agree with TAMU, we have no backup.

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 05:17:35 PM »
He could, but should not. I agree with TAMU, we have no backup.

Truly not. It may help him develop for life after MU - where his best shot is to be a PG - but his colleg game is best suited to be a 2G, a la De Angelo Harrison (remember him? we were in his final 3).

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 07:04:51 PM »
3rd team all be as a PG??
I like markus just dont think his 2g game translates to a pg
Again compair his across the BE PG board he doesnt stand up
his game translates to what a 1 does in the nba..his size doesn't.  Rowsey was the primary ball  handler this year. You will see the complete Markus next year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 09:28:55 PM »

I generally agree with this.

Although I will say that I hope we don't have to find out if Markus is a 30+ mpg PG ... because we have somebody who can play the position much better.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »

Markus is a scorer, plain and simple.  If he is distributing, he is not scoring, which is what he does best.  In a perfect world he is a great 2 guard paired with a big point guard who can play D.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.