[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Joe Lunardi vs. Jerry Palm  (Read 11252 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Joe Lunardi vs. Jerry Palm
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 09:25:51 AM »
Mr. Palm correctly picked 67 out of 68 this year in the tournament. http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
Mr. Lunardi correctly picked 66 out of 68.

Last year where Mr. Palm was perfect, Mr. Lunardi missed one.  In 2016, Lunardi missed 3.  He needs to pick up his game.

About 64/68 every year are no contest, obvious, beyond debate. So the real metric is how many you get wrong out of about 4. Palm got 1/4 wrong, Lunardi got 2/4. Neither very good.

#stiffbubble

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 09:26:49 AM »

I said it even at the time.....Because you could tell Georgia was not that good......

That game was the biggest reason we did not make the NCAA's.....

Terrible non-conference loss at home.......

Either a win in that game or the fiasco against DePaul and we are in.....1 game......that is how close it was.....

I don’t think it was that close. Frankly, if we win both I don’t know if that does it. It would probably improve our RPI enough that we wouldn’t be left out.

To me the committee spoke pretty clearly. You need a marquee win. It doesn’t matter if it’s November or February. A marquee win is needed for a bubble team.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 09:34:46 AM »
About 64/68 every year are no contest, obvious, beyond debate. So the real metric is how many you get wrong out of about 4. Palm got 1/4 wrong, Lunardi got 2/4. Neither very good.

#stiffbubble

The name of the game is not picking the first loser, but to pick who made it into the tournament.

Over the last three years, Mr. Lunardi scored 97.1%, Mr. Palm scored 98.5% in that most important metric.

If I want to know who is going to get in, my odds are better currently to listen to Mr. Palm vs Mr. Lunardi.

Mr. Palm now ranks 2nd over the last 5 years picking who makes it.  The number one guy, by a hair, is this gentleman who also picked 67 out of 68 correctly (missed USC), but missed one less over the last five years.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 10:12:53 AM »
IMHO, it's the lack of a signature win.  Our biggest win @PC (31 RPI) was nice, but nothing like ASU's wins over X (3 RPI) and KU (5 RPI), Oklahoma's win over KU, or Cuse's win vs Clemson (10 RPI).

Most other metrics had us equal to or better than all three, and yet they're in, and we weren't even close.

Agree, and I can't complain. We had 7 shots at a top 10 win and went 0-7. If we'd had just a 14% chance in each of those games then the expectation is that we would have won one of them.

We certainly showed we were good enough to potentially win a game as an 11-seed against a 6-seed, but not that we could go out and beat a 1- through 3-seed in a second game.

I'm excited about the nit at this point, particularly if we win two and get to go in for a road game against Notre Dame - who www.valueaddbasketball.com ranks as the 15th best team in the country with Colson back in the bracket prediction pieces I did on www.pudnersports.com.

I know those are in my signature line, but just a reference for how excited I'd be to have one more shot at a great upset if we get to South bend and win.

And yes, I hate to admit Notre Dame was the one team I thought got screwed, but USC looked like a potential deep run as well.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 11:03:53 AM »
The name of the game is not picking the first loser, but to pick who made it into the tournament.

Over the last three years, Mr. Lunardi scored 97.1%, Mr. Palm scored 98.5% in that most important metric.

If I want to know who is going to get in, my odds are better currently to listen to Mr. Palm vs Mr. Lunardi.

Mr. Palm now ranks 2nd over the last 5 years picking who makes it.  The number one guy, by a hair, is this gentleman who also picked 67 out of 68 correctly (missed USC), but missed one less over the last five years.

Chicos, you're either misunderstanding, or being intentionally obtuse to fluff your boy. The only bids anywhere close to in doubt on selection Sunday are the last 4 in. I don't need anyone to tell me that Duke, Xavier, UNC, Michigan St., etc. are getting an at-large bid. Not to mention all the conference auto-bid winners. Including those teams as "right answers" is just inflating the denominator. This year the last four was St. Bonaventure, Syracuse, UCLA, and ASU. And I don't think many people had Bonaventure or UCLA being left out. So your boy got 3/4 right if I'm being generous. Wow. Pay that man.

Not to mention he's dreadful at seeding.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2018, 09:30:50 PM »
Chicos, you're either misunderstanding, or being intentionally obtuse to fluff your boy. The only bids anywhere close to in doubt on selection Sunday are the last 4 in. I don't need anyone to tell me that Duke, Xavier, UNC, Michigan St., etc. are getting an at-large bid. Not to mention all the conference auto-bid winners. Including those teams as "right answers" is just inflating the denominator. This year the last four was St. Bonaventure, Syracuse, UCLA, and ASU. And I don't think many people had Bonaventure or UCLA being left out. So your boy got 3/4 right if I'm being generous. Wow. Pay that man.

Not to mention he's dreadful at seeding.

Chicos, he isn't my boy. Never even heard of him until something listed here a few weeks ago.   Did I do the Chicos thing correctly? It seems when fans here don't agree with someone that's what they are called.  I've seen 3 or 4 different fans here called that, but if I am incorrect let me know.

If picking teams was so easy, as you imply, why did only one of the bracketoligists this year get all 68 correct?  Who cares about seeding, you have to get into the tournament first, that's what should be priority one.  This Palm guy is second best at doing that picking in the last five years based on that site.  Apparently he is dreadful at seeding, so he loses brownie points. 
— Plato

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 09:21:59 AM »
Chicos, he isn't my boy. Never even heard of him until something listed here a few weeks ago.   Did I do the Chicos thing correctly? It seems when fans here don't agree with someone that's what they are called.  I've seen 3 or 4 different fans here called that, but if I am incorrect let me know.

If picking teams was so easy, as you imply, why did only one of the bracketoligists this year get all 68 correct?  Who cares about seeding, you have to get into the tournament first, that's what should be priority one.  This Palm guy is second best at doing that picking in the last five years based on that site.  Apparently he is dreadful at seeding, so he loses brownie points.

LOLLLLLLLLL Chicos, this is hysterical. The jig is up. No one has ever stanned for Palm this hard, outside of yourself. Get a life my man.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2018, 09:57:08 AM »

And the tournament's a crapshoot based on guards, aina?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2018, 12:36:53 PM »
LOLLLLLLLLL Chicos, this is hysterical. The jig is up. No one has ever stanned for Palm this hard, outside of yourself. Get a life my man.

Chicos, what does stanning mean?  I'm an old guy, help me out.   Mr. Palm was brought up here not by me and because he had us in the tournament going into the last day yet some fans were bashing him, otherwise didn't know who he was.

Now, the guy that is most impressive in picks is this one, bball

He has accurately predicted who is picked for the tournament better than anyone who participated in each of the last five years.  His name is Andrew assuming the name at the bottom of that blog corresponds with the bracketologist, but he wasn't brought up here in any messages.  He even did a NIT projection and had us playing Harvard, but in the wrong bracket.  This is the guy we should be stanning for, Andrew from Bracketball.  http://bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html

— Plato

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2018, 12:53:14 PM »
Chicos, what does stanning mean?  I'm an old guy, help me out.   Mr. Palm was brought up here not by me and because he had us in the tournament going into the last day yet some fans were bashing him, otherwise didn't know who he was.

Now, the guy that is most impressive in picks is this one, bball

He has accurately predicted who is picked for the tournament better than anyone who participated in each of the last five years.  His name is Andrew assuming the name at the bottom of that blog corresponds with the bracketologist, but he wasn't brought up here in any messages.  He even did a NIT projection and had us playing Harvard, but in the wrong bracket.  This is the guy we should be stanning for, Andrew from Bracketball.  http://bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY

You Are Stan. Palm is Eminem.

How's California? Or have you made the move to your libertarian utopia Montana yet?

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2019, 10:24:53 AM »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2019, 10:46:24 AM »

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2019, 04:26:12 PM »
Lunardi tweeted his seed list an hour ago. Marquette at 25, Purdue at 26 and UW behind both of them in the 30s.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2019, 04:28:02 PM »
Lunardi tweeted his seed list an hour ago. Marquette at 25, Purdue at 26 and UW behind both of them in the 30s.

Fanbases tend to overreact to one data point.  Wisconsin was unquestionably the better team yesterday.  It was also Marquette's first road game of the season, in game number 3 of the season.  Stinks to lose, certainly some red flags, but  it could be just a blip, or it could be who we are.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2019, 07:00:39 PM »
Fanbases tend to overreact to one data point.  Wisconsin was unquestionably the better team yesterday.  It was also Marquette's first road game of the season, in game number 3 of the season.  Stinks to lose, certainly some red flags, but  it could be just a blip, or it could be
who we are.

I AGREE WITH THIS ANALYSIS.

feedback