[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting avenues  (Read 10917 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Recruiting avenues
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2018, 03:07:43 PM »
I'm a Buzz guy, but never thought the guy could coach worth a damn. I actually thought Wojo would have this skill after sitting next to K for decades. Of all the questions I have about the program, why Wojo is not a better game coach is high on my list.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2018, 03:51:29 PM »
I knew someone out there would remember, my goodness that was frustrating to watch.  Time flies.......

Yep, on top of those hockey-style subs, it seemed like Buzz always removed a player right after he made a big play or got hot. Super frustrating. So yea, it definitely took him time to grow into being a good in-game coach, but the other stuff (chip-on-shoulder toughness, specifically) he was able to instill in the team from the get-go.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2018, 04:40:36 PM »
This is just eye test but I can’t even count the times I’ve yelled get on the floor during a scramble. It seems to have gotten a little better this year but I think it speaks to the toughness factor that seems to be missing in the Wojo era.

...and it's just not the toughness factor; sometime I get the sense that they don't have the confidence that they'll win. You can see it with inbound plays where we are just unsure. I think it has also affected our defense as they don't think they can make the defensive play without fouling; but that is just my "eye test" and others see it differently.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2018, 04:46:22 PM »
I'm a Buzz guy, but never thought the guy could coach worth a damn. I actually thought Wojo would have this skill after sitting next to K for decades. Of all the questions I have about the program, why Wojo is not a better game coach is high on my list.

Do you think he's a good X's and O's guy on the offensive end? We've had two very highly ranked offenses the past two years.

Obviously the defense has been discussed and there are differing opinions on whether it's the result of scheme or personnel, so I'll save that question for next year.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2018, 05:17:34 PM »

talent.  One doesn't have to coach all that much at Duke with all of those McDonald's AA's.  I also wonder how much autonomy Coach K gives his assistants.  Looking at the former K players who became assistants for him and then coaches elsewhere, none could be called X's and O's masters. Coaching at Duke does not adequately prepare one for the coaching real world.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Goose

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2018, 05:24:25 PM »
Billy

Come on. You really think Coach K only wins due to talent? There was a time he won with far less talent. My take on the former assistants, they all were former Duke players and not outside guys. They might have been more window dressing than real contributors on the bench.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2018, 05:28:12 PM »
Buzz recruited JUCO to an amazing level. But he was not great at developing high school talent.

When the JUCO well ran dry and his high school recruiting/developing came to the forefront, we saw the results - his last season.

I loved Buzz's time at MU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2018, 05:29:59 PM »
talent.  One doesn't have to coach all that much at Duke with all of those McDonald's AA's.  I also wonder how much autonomy Coach K gives his assistants.  Looking at the former K players who became assistants for him and then coaches elsewhere, none could be called X's and O's masters. Coaching at Duke does not adequately prepare one for the coaching real world.

To be honest, I'm not sure how many Xs and Os "masters" there are in college basketball any more. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2018, 05:30:10 PM »
jesmu

Buzz checked out after ‘Cuse loss and such is life. Not one good thing happened on WI for the next twelve months. No well trying up, just a coach counting the days until he was gone.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2018, 05:41:17 PM »

I would argue that one does have to coach...but the only one who really does it is K. If memory serves, their most disappointing season was when he had back surgery and had to sit the year out. I remember thinking at the time that they'd be fine "with all that talent." By the end of the season, I started to appreciate his coaching ability. My sense given that season and the history of his assistants is that he doesn't give his guys nearly as much authority as a guy like Izzo.

As I look at Wojo, I am optimistic because he has been a very high level recruiter from the word go. IMHO recruiting is largely a personality thing - convincing parents that you'll take care of their kids, and convincing kids that you'll help them get to the next level - so either you have it or you don't. Wojo has it.

I think Wojo still has work to do as a bench coach - being the guy who bears the ultimate responsibility for in-game strategies, substitution patterns and such - but IMHO that's a skill that can be learned with experience. He clearly knows the basic Xs and Os, so it's just a matter of fine-tuning what works and what doesn't in game situations.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2018, 05:42:03 PM »
Billy

Come on. You really think Coach K only wins due to talent? There was a time he won with far less talent. My take on the former assistants, they all were former Duke players and not outside guys. They might have been more window dressing than real contributors on the bench.

no, he has superior talent and has since the mid 80's.  He's a good coach for sure but give him Georgia Tech's roster or even UVA's and see where he finishes in the ACC. And I agree with your take on the assistants.  Brey is the only one to have sustained success, and he wasn't a former player.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2018, 05:55:33 PM »
no, he has superior talent and has since the mid 80's.  He's a good coach for sure but give him Georgia Tech's roster or even UVA's and see where he finishes in the ACC. And I agree with your take on the assistants.  Brey is the only one to have sustained success, and he wasn't a former player.

For what it's worth, after he got himself clean, Quin Snyder has become a really solid NBA coach. Being seven game over .500 in the West with the roster he has is pretty impressive.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2018, 06:32:06 PM »
For what it's worth, after he got himself clean, Quin Snyder has become a really solid NBA coach. Being seven game over .500 in the West with the roster he has is pretty impressive.

Given that pro and college coaching is pretty different (see Calipari and Pitino), it's interesting that the (arguably) most successful former K player/assistant is having his best success in the NBA. Might just be a coincidence...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2018, 06:59:02 PM »
The best Xs and Os coaches BY FAR are in the NBA.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2018, 08:03:56 PM »
After four years at MU Wojo still can't get his players up to snuff defensively.  What makes you think that is going to change next year?    I'm not saying it won't.  I'm just saying as of yet there is no reason to believe he can coach defense.  All the yelling and posturing in the world won't help.  You can either be a great leader of men or not.    So far (sad to say) not.   

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2018, 09:07:37 PM »
After four years at MU Wojo still can't get his players up to snuff defensively.  What makes you think that is going to change next year?    I'm not saying it won't.  I'm just saying as of yet there is no reason to believe he can coach defense.  All the yelling and posturing in the world won't help.  You can either be a great leader of men or not.    So far (sad to say) not.

Because we saw marginal improvement from the freshmen throughout the year and we know Morrow can defend from his time at Nebraska. Even if wojo cant coach D there will be marginal improvement that comes from the current freshmen getting bigger and morrows addition
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2018, 11:02:52 PM »

Because before two of his best players were 5'10 turnstiles, Wojo had a top 100 defense each year he coached and his teams were actually better at defense then offense, playing the same scheme we are now. The bigger issue is personnel IMHO. The worst offender will be graduating this offseason.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2018, 09:50:21 AM »
Because before two of his best players were 5'10 turnstiles, Wojo had a top 100 defense each year he coached and his teams were actually better at defense then offense, playing the same scheme we are now. The bigger issue is personnel IMHO. The worst offender will be graduating this offseason.

I think this is the opinion I have at the moment. The defensive woes stemmed a lot from middling perimeter defenders that weren't very tall/long. Switching opened up a lot of vulnerabilities and stretching out the 5 to hedge didn't either--both of which were a product of trying to cover up the perimeter defense being so full of holes.

I feel like we are bound for a bit of a correct on defense next year. Get it to a 70-100 ranked defense and keep going on offense (which I think we can expect a slight downturn) and it's a pretty solid team.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.