[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo's NIT Presser Gold  (Read 6859 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Wojo's NIT Presser Gold
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 10:35:33 AM »
True.  Lots of people on the Wojo bandwagon Year 1 and 2.  I was off it 6 games into his career at MU.

Just as I said Buzz would likely lead us to Elite 8's and Final Fours if he stuck around for 10 years, at the same juncture of his MU career (~6 games in.)  You scoffed, as I recall.

Just as I said, Buzz was off his last year at MU, early in the season - knew something wasn't right.  You and some of the other usual bury head in the sand guys once again took issue.  Said the Larry Williams comments in the journal were ridiculous and were rocking the boat with our Most Valuable Employee at MU (Buzz at time.)  Was appointed tin foil hat founder/club by you, and the other handful of sheep here.

Hell John Dawson is playing in the G-League, and look up and down those rosters and they largely are all filled with players who were 1st-2nd Team All Conference Power 5.

I'd imagine you probably have all of the above saved in your "Ners Archive" which you recently dove into, in the way back time machine as you called it.  Feel free to link here.

I can only pray to God that the BOT pays as close of attention to Scoop as we now know our coach does and appoints you the head of our search committee for the next MU men’s head basketball coach search.

And then you hire yourself. Because you clearly not only can identify coaching talent, but also player talent. Your guy is in the G League baby! And of course I hope you’re a player coach as well, because, you know, All Conference, dunking on fools, etc.!

Lol. You are awesome Ners.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 10:42:28 AM »
I can only pray to God that the BOT pays as close of attention to Scoop as we now know our coach does and appoints you the head of our search committee for the next MU men’s head basketball coach search.

And then you hire yourself. Because you clearly not only can identify coaching talent, but also player talent. Your guy is in the G League baby! And of course I hope you’re a player coach as well, because, you know, All Conference, dunking on fools, etc.!

Lol. You are awesome Ners.

Thanks Wades.  Maybe I'll hire you as my assistant.  Good call on Sam Hauser.  Liked his game, but didn't see the NBA potential, you identified last year - think you'll be in the money on that call.  Hope your Wojo call does come through.  It would be a good thing for the program - the stability factor.  Next year should cement the gray area that remains for some.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 10:44:40 AM »
I admit I wasn't expecting to see Dawson appear in the very next post.  ;)
Oh FFS, it will never, ever, ever end.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 10:52:01 AM »
Thought that was a great presser by Wojo.   He was relaxed and didn’t speak coach speak - he was talking and thinking and responding well.   Liked it.  Very good, Coach!  Let’s beat Harvard!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 10:54:28 AM »
I liked the presser. You can tell coach loves his players and wants to make sure they are getting the support they deserve. And the players deserve all the support we can give them,  they've played their hearts out. I hope the Al is rocking for the next three games

I liked the presser as well, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and play one game at time.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 10:55:33 AM »
Great, great presser.  Phenomenal.  Probably bought him an additional year.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 11:32:59 AM »
Step 1: Rant endlessly about how coach won't do as he suggests when it comes to roster management and strategy.

Step 2: Twist quote to make it appear coach is listening to fans, admonish him for it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 11:38:02 AM »
I think the rules are a negative for us. We rely on three point shot. Making it further out is no benefit at all.
Widening the lane with our bigmen is no benefit at all. Playing man to man will cause our defenders to be further from the basket with a wider lane since the offensive players will be farther from basket, That will make it even harder for us to rotate to cover a driver. Rules hurt our strength, which is three point shooting and increase our greatest weakness, which is trying to cover players taking the ball to the basket. We would lose by an additional 20 points to Butler or Villanova under these rules.

You've seen the range Rowsey and Howard have yes? Going to hurt teams way more than us. Also the wider lane gives Rowsey and Howard more space on the drive. Might impact our defense some but it really can't get that worse.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2018, 11:58:27 AM »
You've seen the range Rowsey and Howard have yes? Going to hurt teams way more than us. Also the wider lane gives Rowsey and Howard more space on the drive. Might impact our defense some but it really can't get that worse.

Unfortunately, we now have to defend that much farther from the hoop as well. Sure, we'll benefit on offense, but changing the 3 point line and widening the lane will hurt our already porous defense.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2018, 12:03:06 PM »
In general, the press conference was fine. You can tell he cares about the kids and the program, there's no doubt there. The only nitpick I have is that he said changing to quarters could help us depending on how we're officiated. Our foul trouble has been consistent this year. Yes, some games are worse than others, but I don't think you can point to officiating as the reason we are in foul trouble so often and why we send opponents to the line so regularly.

I don't want to read too much into it, but if he thinks our foul trouble is just us getting the short end of the stick, he's going to continue to be disappointed in coming years. We need to address this in a big way this summer. Hopefully improving our athleticism will help with this issue, but I'm sure there's more to it than just that.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2018, 12:03:34 PM »
I loved how matter of factly Wojo said "we will be a program that wins in March". How's that gone for you so far Wojo??  ::)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:05:13 PM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2018, 12:08:30 PM »
In general, the press conference was fine. You can tell he cares about the kids and the program, there's no doubt there. The only nitpick I have is that he said changing to quarters could help us depending on how we're officiated. Our foul trouble has been consistent this year. Yes, some games are worse than others, but I don't think you can point to officiating as the reason we are in foul trouble so often and why we send opponents to the line so regularly.

I don't want to read too much into it, but if he thinks our foul trouble is just us getting the short end of the stick, he's going to continue to be disappointed in coming years. We need to address this in a big way this summer. Hopefully improving our athleticism will help with this issue, but I'm sure there's more to it than just that.

I think he meant starting the count over after 10 minutes versus 20 - which could be an advantage to a foul-prone team

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2018, 12:10:10 PM »
I think he meant starting the count over after 10 minutes versus 20 - which could be an advantage to a foul-prone team

Yeah, that's definitely what he meant. But he added the caveat about officiating, which kind of made me roll my eyes.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2018, 12:10:16 PM »
I loved how matter of factly Wojo said "we will be a program that wins in March". How's that gone for you so far Wojo??  ::)

Just think he meant he believes in the program he is trying to build and expects good results. Yeah, so far we have not won in a tourney in March with Wojo.   Maybe we start on Wednesday and gain some valuable experience.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 12:40:54 PM »
Let's face it.....He was probably as pissed as we were that we did not make the NCAA's especially when you see Oklahoma and Syracuse in.....

But I do not think we deserved those 2 spots either.....So I am like....It is what it is......

Experience for next year......OK......

But if I were him......I would be trying to figure out how to play defense.....Because this kind of defense employed presently is the quickest way to get his a$$ fired after next year.......

Guy on CBS before the selections were announced said, "Marquette couldn't guard a wall..."  That sentence is: a) true, and; b) the reason why we are in the NIT.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 03:40:02 PM »
It was a good presser.    .....we're young.    No one likes me to say it........
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2018, 03:52:36 PM »
It was a good presser.    .....we're young.    No one likes me to say it........
It did make me wonder who he’s getting flack for the “we’re young” talk from. I don’t recall reading/hearing any criticism from the media.
No Finish Line

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 05:00:19 PM »
He can always fall back on he meant, a conference game or the classic "win every day."
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2018, 10:38:40 AM »
Wojo's teams have won 2 games in March in each season