[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: An ode to Guru  (Read 5990 times)

skianth16

• All American
Re: An ode to Guru
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2018, 09:26:29 AM »

Not only that, but MU counts the rent paid to the BC as part of the expense.  It artificially inflates the investment into the program.  People need to stop using that as a data point.

Playing in a pro arena is a big asset to the team and the university, though. That's why we do it. We have a perfectly nice gym on campus, but we know the experience of playing at the BC is far better than playing at the Al. While it does inflate the spending total, it's still an investment into the program, and it's an investment that must be paying off since we're going to be paying rent in the new arena too.

You're right that rent makes comparing budgets an apples to oranges comparison, but looking at our investment into basketball still send a clear message that it's an important part of the university.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2018, 09:28:13 AM »
Playing in a pro arena is a big asset to the team and the university, though. That's why we do it. We have a perfectly nice gym on campus, but we know the experience of playing at the BC is far better than playing at the Al. While it does inflate the spending total, it's still an investment into the program, and it's an investment that must be paying off since we're going to be paying rent in the new arena too.

You're right that rent makes comparing budgets an apples to oranges comparison, but looking at our investment into basketball still send a clear message that it's an important part of the university.

I agree with that completely.  But saying we spend top 10 isn't really that accurate.  We have scholarships, we pay coaches and travel.  Most Power 6 programs do the same thing.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2018, 09:57:15 AM »

I agree with that completely.  But saying we spend top 10 isn't really that accurate.  We have scholarships, we pay coaches and travel.  Most Power 6 programs do the same thing.

I've heard we have a private jet for Wojo and the coaches to use for recruiting, and it looks like our team always flies on a charted flight. That's all pricey stuff. Is that common too, or is that something only the bigger budgets would spring for?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2018, 09:59:54 AM »
I've heard we have a private jet for Wojo and the coaches to use for recruiting, and it looks like our team always flies on a charted flight. That's all pricey stuff. Is that common too, or is that something only the bigger budgets would spring for?

It's pretty common. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/flying-coach-many-universities-are-using-private-planes/

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2018, 04:11:31 PM »
Interesting.  Ranked ~50th and .500 in a tough conference.  Where do you place the bar for mediocrity?

People see what they want to see.   Almost like water seeking its own level.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2018, 10:30:00 PM »
Just to put this in perspective , as I pointed out in another thread, UNC is raising $500 million for their athletic department. They feel this is what is necessary to compete for national championships in every sport.

MU does a good job with its resources in my opinion.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire