Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MSG in a bottle  (Read 6862 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Re: MSG in a bottle
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2018, 10:49:40 PM »
If NIT, what's the point?

Any postseason play (tonight's game included) gives the entire team valuable experience. Especially the freshmen. Success in the NIT against quality competition can carry over into the next season.

For myself, I want to see Marquette keep playing as long as possible. That means less time to wait during the interminable offseason.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 11:56:54 PM »
More Marquette basketball is better than less Marquette basketball
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 03:19:22 AM »
 Nova was amazing.  Class program, well coached, and they play great basketball.  I will chose them to win the tournament.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 06:15:42 AM »
All day, I was thinking Bring on the Night.      Now I am nearly Driven to Tears.
1.   It wasn't what MU was doing, it was the Synchronicity of Nova's offense.     The run that broke the game open came against man, zone, press, open, contested.    Nova can beat you from 5 positions and will likely be a higher seed in the NCAA tourney than the Big East Conference tourney.
2.  In the first half, whenever MU played physical, the refs blew their whistles and said Don't Stand so Close to (V).  Nova is just bigger, stronger, and better at every position.
3.  Markus is now the King of Pain.   Running into a screen set by a defensive end.   
4.  Second half run... O My God.   Bombs Away.  Every Little Thing (V) does is Magic.   
5.  It was Murder by Numbers.   Clear out the paint and have your bigger, stronger, more physical guards drive against the smaller guards.
6.   One day, I want MU to be Walking in (V's) footsteps.   

MU was simply overmatched.    Competitive for a while, and then Nova happened.   As someone who appreciates good basketball, I can't even be that angry.    Nova tonight was magnificent.    I wish it hadn't happened to MU, but it did.    Now, it is in the hands of the committee.     FWIW, I don't think MU has played their last game at MSG this year.   
Yup. Wojo has us trending up...er...sideways. Wojo will never have us walking in Villanova path. Face it, he is a mediocre coach in a big time league. We will be same same with this guy. R.I.P.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 07:06:43 AM »
Yup. Wojo has us trending up...er...sideways. Wojo will never have us walking in Villanova path. Face it, he is a mediocre coach in a big time league. We will be same same with this guy. R.I.P.

I think this is a bit harsh at this point. 

Yes, we should have blown DePaul out so badly that they'd be looking for their arms and legs all the way back to Chicago. And, we certainly hoped going into Villanova that we would look better than we did. Keep in mind though that we were playing a legitimate contender for the national championship and nobody with an ounce of sense thought we were that good. If that's the standard you hold a coach to in his fourth year, you would have fired Al McGuire by 1967, because we were nowhere as good as UCLA, yet.

It's easy to forget that Wojo inherited a toxic dumpster fire when he came here.  He's had to build a system, recruit players and teach. I'd probably agree that some of the guys he recruited were somewhat one dimensional. Also, Wojo missed on a couple, which is pretty normal for any coach. But a coach has to build a block at a time.

We all want what Al did. He made the NIT final game in his third year at a time when the NIT meant something. But one must understand that  we played in a very different world in 1966 than we do today. We played mostly what today we would call mid-majors and we tapped a recruiting pool that most colleges in the United States overlooked. A team looking for a quick rebuild in those days also could cheat much easier than it can today, not that Al did but many competitors did.

The real problem with Wojo is that you expected a rookie coach who played for and coached with Coach K to come in and basically be a younger version of Coach K. He may be but running him off the reservation and starting over condemns us to five years of mediocrity and this old Warrior hasn't got the patience for THAT.

Like many posters, next year will tell. We have extremely high expectations for next year and either Coach Wojo delivers or we have this debate in earnest -- we and the Board of Trustees!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2018, 07:28:06 AM »
Len Elmore doesn't like MU's chances to make the tourney...I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

Not enough players from NYC for Len.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2018, 07:38:40 AM »
A younger version of coach K had very similar success to Wojo in his first four seasons...
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2018, 07:43:40 AM »
A younger version of coach K had very similar success to Wojo in his first four seasons...

No argument Brother TAMU.

Also, keep in mind that in Al's third or fourth season, we actually played UCLA in the Milwaukee Classic. UCLA was the standard to which every other college basketball program longed (the Villanova or Duke of its day). It was the only time in the Al era we played UCLA.

The results were not pretty. We did not win. Nobody called for Al's head after that one or suggested that Al would be but a mediocre coach. In fact, it was another decade before we actually won a national championship!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2018, 07:47:38 AM »
I think this is a bit harsh at this point. 

Yes, we should have blown DePaul out so badly that they'd be looking for their arms and legs all the way back to Chicago. And, we certainly hoped going into Villanova that we would look better than we did. Keep in mind though that we were playing a legitimate contender for the national championship and nobody with an ounce of sense thought we were that good. If that's the standard you hold a coach to in his fourth year, you would have fired Al McGuire by 1967, because we were nowhere as good as UCLA, yet.

It's easy to forget that Wojo inherited a toxic dumpster fire when he came here.  He's had to build a system, recruit players and teach. I'd probably agree that some of the guys he recruited were somewhat one dimensional. Also, Wojo missed on a couple, which is pretty normal for any coach. But a coach has to build a block at a time.

We all want what Al did. He made the NIT final game in his third year at a time when the NIT meant something. But one must understand that  we played in a very different world in 1966 than we do today. We played mostly what today we would call mid-majors and we tapped a recruiting pool that most colleges in the United States overlooked. A team looking for a quick rebuild in those days also could cheat much easier than it can today, not that Al did but many competitors did.

The real problem with Wojo is that you expected a rookie coach who played for and coached with Coach K to come in and basically be a younger version of Coach K. He may be but running him off the reservation and starting over condemns us to five years of mediocrity and this old Warrior hasn't got the patience for THAT.

Like many posters, next year will tell. We have extremely high expectations for next year and either Coach Wojo delivers or we have this debate in earnest -- we and the Board of Trustees!

I think Wojo is slowly (too slowly, perhaps) moving us in the right direction.  Big thing, because we are not going to get Duke level talent, is to keep the support guys we need to be successful happy.  Otherwise we never get to the always old type teams we are going to have to be for success.  While they weren't stars, Duane Wilson or Traci Carter would have been very helpful pieces on this team.  Cheatham, too.  We need guys like that to stay and improve if we are ever going to be what Wojo envisions us being, a team with not very top tier but very good talent that is always experienced.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2018, 07:56:32 AM »
Big thing, because we are not going to get Duke level talent, is to keep the support guys we need to be successful happy. 

We need guys like that to stay and improve if we are ever going to be what Wojo envisions us being, a team with not very top tier but very good talent that is always experienced.

I absolutely disagree with this theory.

Top talent will come to Marquette when it is advantageous for top talent to come to Marquette. We're getting a few very good players and we're doing well, but we have to advance to the Elite 8 or Sweet 16 regularly for the very top talent to come here.

My view is that Wojo envisions us as being a team likely to compete regularly for the national championship. We're clearly not there yet, but it is coming.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2018, 08:02:16 AM »

Top talent will come to Marquette when it is advantageous for top talent to come to Marquette. We're getting a few very good players and we're doing well, but we have to advance to the Elite 8 or Sweet 16 regularly for the very top talent to come here.

My view is that Wojo envisions us as being a team likely to compete regularly for the national championship. We're clearly not there yet, but it is coming.

I like the way you think, but your premise is that we'll start getting the top level talent when we regularly get to the Sweet Sixteen or Elite 8.  How are we going to do that without the top level talent?  I think by getting the next level talent and keeping them here and molding them as a team, which requires keeping guys who are role players early in their career around. 

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2018, 08:17:36 AM »
Let's introduce Rollie Massimino into the conversation.  Aparently the Villanova Board of Trustees get it.  Face it, Villanova are winners.  Now we will see if we can become winners at the level of Duke or Vilanova or the other "blue bloods".   The great coaches ALL have long track records, that is the great definition of greatness.  No flash in the pans need apply.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2018, 08:21:19 AM »

Jay Wright had a losing record after his first four years as a head coach, and he was coaching in a much less competitive league than the BE. Even once he got to Nova, he didn't make the dance until year four.

Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:23:25 AM by GooooMarquette »

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2018, 08:42:14 AM »
No argument Brother TAMU.

Also, keep in mind that in Al's third or fourth season, we actually played UCLA in the Milwaukee Classic. UCLA was the standard to which every other college basketball program longed (the Villanova or Duke of its day). It was the only time in the Al era we played UCLA.

The results were not pretty. We did not win. Nobody called for Al's head after that one or suggested that Al would be but a mediocre coach. In fact, it was another decade before we actually won a national championship!

I find that hard to believe. I've got to think there were fans in the stands or watching on TV that complained that Al wasn't any good and didn't deserve to coach the Warriors. There wasn't a public forum like this to capture it, but I'm sure it happened. In the heat of the moment of a loss, fans do this. Thank God these fans are not administrators.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2018, 09:27:24 AM »
Jay Wright had a losing record after his first four years as a head coach, and he was coaching in a much less competitive league than the BE. Even once he got to Nova, he didn't make the dance until year four.

Just sayin'.
[/quote
Well sayin don't make it so, Joe. Please keep comparing Wright to Wojo. Wright has Villanova at an elite level with a title. The only run Wojo has is to the toilet(don't believe it?--has trounble beating the doormat of BEast). Let us know when Wojo gets a national championship, then we can compare Wright and Wojo. Just sayin.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2018, 10:29:07 AM »
Really proud of the team tonight. I really hope Rowsey gets to play in the NCAA tourney. I couldn't help but feel awful for him tonight.

I don't get how anyone can be mad.  It was beautiful basketball Nova was playing and they're simply an awesome, well coached, well run, team. I'll be rooting for them and the rest of the BEast.

Villanova was ridiculous.  At one point, we had the ball down 14 with 11:42 to go.  We scored on 4 out of 5 possessions, didn't turn the ball over, fouled once and at 8:16 we were down by 21. 

From 11:14 to 5:06, points scored on Nova's offensive possessions were 3 (Paschall), 3 (Spellman), 3 (Brunson), 3 (Spellman), 3 (Bridges), 2 (Brunson, missed the and-one FT), 2 (Paschal), 3 (Bridges), 3 (Spellman).

Nine straight makes from the floor, seven from 3.  25 points in 9 possessions (2.78 pts/possession, including a missed FT). 

Incredible, even if no one was playing defense.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:34:41 AM by CTWarrior »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2018, 10:33:51 AM »
I find that hard to believe. I've got to think there were fans in the stands or watching on TV that complained that Al wasn't any good and didn't deserve to coach the Warriors. There wasn't a public forum like this to capture it, but I'm sure it happened. In the heat of the moment of a loss, fans do this. Thank God these fans are not administrators.

Was there TV games back then?  The social network was bars.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2018, 11:34:15 AM »
Villanova was ridiculous.  At one point, we had the ball down 14 with 11:42 to go.  We scored on 4 out of 5 possessions, didn't turn the ball over, fouled once and at 8:16 we were down by 21. 

From 11:14 to 5:06, points scored on Nova's offensive possessions were 3 (Paschall), 3 (Spellman), 3 (Brunson), 3 (Spellman), 3 (Bridges), 2 (Brunson, missed the and-one FT), 2 (Paschal), 3 (Bridges), 3 (Spellman).

Nine straight makes from the floor, seven from 3.  25 points in 9 possessions (2.78 pts/possession, including a missed FT). 

Incredible, even if no one was playing defense.

Great breakdown. Villanova is scary good. According to KenPom.com, Marquette now has the 12th toughest schedule in the country. We played 6 of our 32 games (almost 20% of the schedule) against Top 10 opponents: Purdue (#5), Xavier (#10) twice and Nova (#2) three times. Plus Wichita State (#17). Plus home and away matchups with Butler (#24), Seton Hall (#26) and Creighton (#27).

In spite of that gauntlet, Marquette won 4 of 6 against those last three teams. And we finished a single game out of 3rd place in the conference. I'll be disappointed if we miss the NCAAs. But coming so close with this team has me very excited about next season.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:29:44 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2018, 11:57:26 AM »

Well sayin don't make it so, Joe. Please keep comparing Wright to Wojo. Wright has Villanova at an elite level with a title. The only run Wojo has is to the toilet(don't believe it?--has trounble beating the doormat of BEast). Let us know when Wojo gets a national championship, then we can compare Wright and Wojo. Just sayin.

I did not compare Wojo to Wright. I provided an example of a coach who started slowly and became very successful to show that patience can pay off. Get the difference?

Just sayin.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2018, 01:23:48 PM »
Was there TV games back then?  The social network was bars.

Correct, no TV, we went to games or listened on radio.  The bars were great, booze, bookies and b's.
I don't recall anybody knowing what McGuire was really up to.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2018, 02:08:22 PM »

"Compete regularly for the national championship?" Please give us the evidence that "is coming". 2015-16: 20-13; 2016-17: 19-13; 2017-18: 19-13. (sorry, did not look up so may have 1 number wrong, but you get the point). "Regularly?"  Looks more like we will compete for mediocrity regularly.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2018, 02:15:28 PM »
I did not compare Wojo to Wright. I provided an example of a coach who started slowly and became very successful to show that patience can pay off. Get the difference?

Just sayin.
Move the goal posts by saying the example was used to say that patience pays off. The statement also can be interpreted that you are comparing Wojo to Wright. Either way, patience has already worn thin. But, I know, we will be really, really, really good next year, or maybe the year after. And then we can all say that patience paid off. Hope you are right. But our program and its resources should be doing way better. Just sayin.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2018, 02:17:09 PM »

Just sayin.

What in-game coaching moments/roster management/playing time decisions can you point to in 4-years that give you hope/confidence Wojo can evolve into a top-shelf coach like Jay Wright? 

I just don't see it.  Feel he's improved slightly from the very, very low floor he set his first year on the job.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2018, 03:00:44 PM »
"Compete regularly for the national championship?" Please give us the evidence that "is coming". 2015-16: 20-13; 2016-17: 19-13; 2017-18: 19-13. (sorry, did not look up so may have 1 number wrong, but you get the point). "Regularly?"  Looks more like we will compete for mediocrity regularly.

Willie, Willie, Willie.

Don't be a nattering nabob of negativism. Our talent is improving and I'd even argue that Wojo is doing a better job of recruiting and developing freshmen than the Hillbilly did.

Like you, I wanted us back in the Final Four a year ago. But patience is a virtue and underlying those records is a touch schedule and some good wins. We just need more of them.

We'll get there. The question is when. I do hope it's soon and I'm optimistic we're going to get there. But if we ever lose to DePaul again, I think Wojo goes for a walk in Lake Michigan with concrete overshoes!

Just kidding Coach!  ;D

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2018, 03:01:48 PM »
Move the goal posts by saying the example was used to say that patience pays off. The statement also can be interpreted that you are comparing Wojo to Wright. Either way, patience has already worn thin. But, I know, we will be really, really, really good next year, or maybe the year after. And then we can all say that patience paid off. Hope you are right. But our program and its resources should be doing way better. Just sayin.

I didn't move the goalposts, and I certainly NEVER compared Wojo to Wright. You simply misinterpreted a simple, clear statement.

RIF.  Just sayin'.